Will Maryland eventually trend "purple"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:11:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will Maryland eventually trend "purple"?  (Read 6536 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2005, 01:54:46 PM »

I was talking to someone the other day and they said that Maryland is and will trend more towards Republicans in future.  The argued that ther increase in Catholics in the state of Maryland will trend the state and more towards the Republicans.  I dont know whether I buy it or not.  We still hold the state legislature by a 2/3's majority in the house and senate.  We have a Republican governor, but that was a fluke and he was the first in 30 years.  We went for Gore by 17% and Kerry by 14%.  He doesnt claim Maryland will be taken over by Republicans, but he thinks it will eventually be a pretty neutral or barley lean-Democrat state.

What do you guys think?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 01:59:13 PM »

Um, San Francisco is largely Catholic. Massachusetts and Rhode Island are the most heavily Catholic states in the country. That logic makes no sense.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 02:02:12 PM »

No, because we're going to force you to take the dump they call "Washington, D.C."
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 02:03:27 PM »

Um, San Francisco is largely Catholic. Massachusetts and Rhode Island are the most heavily Catholic states in the country. That logic makes no sense.

Thats what I was thinking, but he argued that Bush won MD Catholics so it proves that the Catholic population in Maryland will swing to the Republicans and make the state more and more of a swing state over the next several years. Also, he said that Federal Gov't employees working in DC will start to reside more in Virginia suburb's rather than Maryland suburb's therefore Virginia will become more of swing state and Maryland less of  Democratic stronghold.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 02:05:39 PM »

No, because we're going to force you to take the dump they call "Washington, D.C."

No, give them D.C. and the other people in the states will be voting Republican in no time.

"A Liberal is just a Conservative who hasn't been mugged yet".
                                                         - Frank Rizzo
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 02:08:05 PM »

yes, just how everyone in NJ votes Republican because of Camden, oh wait.

DC would be just as close to it if it was part of the state or not, to think people would vote Republican just because a high crime area is part of their state is absurd.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 02:20:49 PM »

yes, just how everyone in NJ votes Republican because of Camden, oh wait.

DC would be just as close to it if it was part of the state or not, to think people would vote Republican just because a high crime area is part of their state is absurd.

Plus, Baltimore is probably just as bad as DC, if not worse.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »

Interesting that the federal government workers are deciding to migrate to Virginia rather than stay or move to Maryland.

If I were a cynic, I'd claim that the leftists have made their original living places places like Bethesda and Silver Spring so intolerable (high taxes; high prices/rents/fees; snotty stuck-up neighbors; "skyscraperfication") that a new home in some strip-malled Virginia borough sounds appealing. That process has already occured to CA (with AZ and CO the destinations) and MA (with NH the primary stop).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 04:26:04 PM »

Washington, D.C., is not a dump.  Compassionate conservatives my ass.  Going around and calling cities with large ghetto (in other words liberal) areas dumps.  Not cool at all.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 07:44:54 PM »

Maryland will likely stay Democratic due to its high percentage of African-Americans and white liberals.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 07:48:13 PM »

Maryland will always go Democratic. The interesting thing is that for most of its history, its been a Democratic state. Tradition will keep Maryland dark blue (red with Atlas colors).
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 07:55:20 PM »

Other interesting facts...

Maryland was the only state where Gore's margin was greater than Clinton's in 1996.

All states were more Republican in 2004 than 1996 but Maryland had the third smallest swing (after Vermont and Calif.)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 08:01:56 PM »

Washington, D.C., is not a dump.  Compassionate conservatives my ass.  Going around and calling cities with large ghetto (in other words liberal) areas dumps.  Not cool at all.

Have you ever even been to DC.  The place is the biggest dump.  It makes the worst parts of the Bronx look like Beverly Hills.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 10:15:30 PM »

Have you ever even been to DC.  The place is the biggest dump.  It makes the worst parts of the Bronx look like Beverly Hills.

It depends on where you are in D.C. Some places are ghettoes (it's a city, after all). Some places are filthy rich.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 10:19:19 PM »

I've been there and I liked it. Beats any lily-white suburb.
danwxman

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005, 10:19:45 PM »

Wrong. I tell ya what's a really a decaying dump...most of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 10:24:18 PM »

Wrong. I tell ya what's a really a decaying dump...most of Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Well the people of that "dump" are on your side in the upcoming Senate race here. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 10:29:25 PM »

Despite what Ebowed says, both Baltimore City and DC are dumps. And YES it IS because of the ghettos and the ghetto rats.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2005, 10:32:44 PM »

DC has some places you want to avoid like the plague. Northeast DC (Adams Morgan, Woodley Park, Dupont Circle, where I'm staying) is nice, but the Southeast and some Eastern parts of DC (the areas near Prince George's County, Maryland) are a dump.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2005, 10:42:06 PM »

Maryland might be a swing state by 2050.  Maybe.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005, 10:12:55 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2005, 10:15:52 AM by nickshepDEM »

Despite what Ebowed says, both Baltimore City and DC are dumps. And YES it IS because of the ghettos and the ghetto rats.

Some parts of the city are actually really nice.  Canton has always been a descent area, but now it is an extremley nice area.  Houses there are selling for 300,000-750,000.  On the other hand, some areas of the city are probably among the worse in the country.  I wouldnt walk down North Avenue in broad daylight for 1 million bucks.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005, 10:15:48 AM »

I've been there and I liked it. Beats any lily-white suburb.

You haven't been robbed and beaten enough yet to have some sense knocked into you.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 10:21:38 AM »

Some parts of the city are actually really nice.  Canton has always been a descent area, but now it is an extremley nice area.  Houses there are selling for 300,000-750,000.  On the other hand, some areas of the city are probably among the worse in the country.  I wouldnt walk down North Avenue in broad daylight for 1 million bucks.

True enough. But the bad really outweighs the good in Baltimore City.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005, 11:05:38 AM »

True enough. But the bad really outweighs the good in Baltimore City.

Overall, I agree.  Some areas are extremley nice and others are extremley bad.  There is no in between.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2005, 01:35:49 PM »

I hear you, but Doherty and the rest up here are doing a good job cleaning Scranton up.  Hell, 8 years ago, there was 20 square miles of wastelands, now it is a vibrant area with restaurants, chain stores, etc.  Wilkes-Barre could use some cleaning up though. After McGroarty, the place started to rebound.  But, I would challenge your assertion about areas outside of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metro, most of it is mountains and farms and is quite nice.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies