WI: Senator Kerry Killed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:31:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  WI: Senator Kerry Killed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: WI: Senator Kerry Killed  (Read 20887 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2005, 06:13:02 PM »

Ignored by Phil. I figured the argument was over.

It was because I wanted to wait for you to "go through later and find the specific quotes".
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2005, 06:16:03 PM »

It was because I wanted to wait for you to "go through later and find the specific quotes".

Well here's a quote from an article about something you denied. You said there were no boos, right?

Lott, the Republican leader of the U.S. Senate, and Ventura himself were booed when the dignitaries entered the arena before the event, which was packed with the Wellstone faithful. "It’s like booing someone at a funeral," Ventura said.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2005, 07:27:50 PM »

Well here's a quote from an article about something you denied. You said there were no boos, right?

Lott, the Republican leader of the U.S. Senate, and Ventura himself were booed when the dignitaries entered the arena before the event, which was packed with the Wellstone faithful. "It’s like booing someone at a funeral," Ventura said.

Link?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2005, 11:44:39 PM »

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/4404751.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2005, 01:12:49 AM »

There is no Senator Kerry from the state of Wisconsin to be killed.  Tongue
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2005, 08:37:44 PM »

There is no Senator Kerry from the state of Wisconsin to be killed.  Tongue

Minnesota
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2005, 05:26:53 PM »

All right, as they walked in before the event, Lott and Ventura were booed. That doesn't make it a political event. Ventura said in the same article that he was very impressed with the non partisaness up to Kahn's speech.

"I predicted, I said, be prepared, this will be political," Ventura said of his comments to his wife. "All the way through Sheila Wellstone, I turned to the first lady, and said, 'My God, I’m wrong.'" He was referring to speeches made on behalf of Sheila Wellstone and other victims.[i/]

So basically it was Kahn and Harkin who crossed the line. Two speakers. Keep in mind, this was an unscripted event. Political rallies are planned. This one was basically spontanious, during a few speeches.

Also, the fact that non-Democrats were booed doesn't mean that it was a political rally. As I said earlier, if it were a political rally, Mondale would have been featured.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2005, 05:36:48 PM »

All right, as they walked in before the event, Lott and Ventura were booed. That doesn't make it a political event. Ventura said in the same article that he was very impressed with the non partisaness up to Kahn's speech.

"I predicted, I said, be prepared, this will be political," Ventura said of his comments to his wife. "All the way through Sheila Wellstone, I turned to the first lady, and said, 'My God, I’m wrong.'" He was referring to speeches made on behalf of Sheila Wellstone and other victims.[i/]

So basically it was Kahn and Harkin who crossed the line. Two speakers. Keep in mind, this was an unscripted event. Political rallies are planned. This one was basically spontanious, during a few speeches.

Also, the fact that non-Democrats were booed doesn't mean that it was a political rally. As I said earlier, if it were a political rally, Mondale would have been featured.

I understand it was unscripted, Akno. I understand it was just Kahn and Harkin but those two people can make a difference. It turned into a rally. Don't play around with this "political rallies are planned." nonsense. Was Whoppi Goldberg supposed to make sexual jokes about the Presidential at a Kerry political rally? Is that what you're saying? Was that "planned?"

Also, I believe Mondale's name was chanted a few times. Your argument is going nowhere, Akno.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2005, 06:30:36 PM »

I understand it was unscripted, Akno. I understand it was just Kahn and Harkin but those two people can make a difference. It turned into a rally. Don't play around with this "political rallies are planned." nonsense. Was Whoppi Goldberg supposed to make sexual jokes about the Presidential at a Kerry political rally? Is that what you're saying? Was that "planned?"

Also, I believe Mondale's name was chanted a few times. Your argument is going nowhere, Akno.

Whoppi Goldberg is an actor/comedian, and it was expected that she would insult Bush using humor. Would the Kerry people have preferred she held back, of course. But they operated differently than the Bush campaign in regards to freedom at events. That's another debate.

The refrain of Kahn and Harkin's speeches were political, and combined with the crowd's reaction, were the makings of a political rally. I agree with you. However, seeing as those were only two speakers, it is unfair to categorize the whole event as a poltical rally, when the vast majority of speakers weren't political.

I did read somewhere that the crowd chanted "Fritz, Fritz, Fritz", when his picture was put on the screen. They did the same thing for both Clintons, Ted Kennedy, and other Democrats who came to the event. Mondale didn't get to speak (I may be wrong, but I think it was just Wellstone's friends/colleagues) and was given about five seconds of face time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2005, 06:37:03 PM »

Whoppi Goldberg is an actor/comedian, and it was expected that she would insult Bush using humor. Would the Kerry people have preferred she held back, of course. But they operated differently than the Bush campaign in regards to freedom at events. That's another debate.

The refrain of Kahn and Harkin's speeches were political, and combined with the crowd's reaction, were the makings of a political rally. I agree with you. However, seeing as those were only two speakers, it is unfair to categorize the whole event as a poltical rally, when the vast majority of speakers weren't political.

I did read somewhere that the crowd chanted "Fritz, Fritz, Fritz", when his picture was put on the screen. They did the same thing for both Clintons, Ted Kennedy, and other Democrats who came to the event. Mondale didn't get to speak (I may be wrong, but I think it was just Wellstone's friends/colleagues) and was given about five seconds of face time.

Was the comment about President Bush scripted?

The event became a political rally, Akno. What it was intended to be and what it became are two different things.

You said there was no response for Mondale yet you admit his name was chanted. You're not making sense.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2005, 06:50:33 PM »

The event became a political rally, Akno. What it was intended to be and what it became are two different things.

You said there was no response for Mondale yet you admit his name was chanted. You're not making sense.

I said Mondale was not featured. He was not given a speaking slot. I don't count his face going up on the screen during the time when they were showcasing all the famous politicans there as featuring him. The name was chanted when his face was put up there.

I don't know if the Kerry people read through Goldberg's material before she went out. I know the Wellstone people didn't know what Kahn, Harkin, or anyone else was going to say.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2005, 06:55:05 PM »

I said Mondale was not featured. He was not given a speaking slot. I don't count his face going up on the screen during the time when they were showcasing all the famous politicans there as featuring him. The name was chanted when his face was put up there.

I don't know if the Kerry people read through Goldberg's material before she went out. I know the Wellstone people didn't know what Kahn, Harkin, or anyone else was going to say.

Chanting of the name would be political.

If all events that become political are scripted, then Goldberg's comments must have been scripted. That's what you're saying.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2005, 07:01:48 PM »

Chanting of the name would be political.

If all events that become political are scripted, then Goldberg's comments must have been scripted. That's what you're saying.

They don't have to be scripted, but in many cases they are.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2005, 02:46:10 PM »

I hope Wellstone's oldest son David will run for Senate in 2008.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2005, 06:10:48 PM »

Against Al Franken?!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies