IDS1: Safe Shooting Act of 2013 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:56:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS1: Safe Shooting Act of 2013 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IDS1: Safe Shooting Act of 2013 (Failed)  (Read 407 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
« edited: December 10, 2013, 03:22:15 PM by Speaker Scott »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »

The purpose of this bill is specified in the text.  Basically what this bill does is reenforce federal standards on toy weaponry so that they are less likely to be mistaken for real guns.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »

I am hesitant to equate the term 'Toy Gun' with airsoft and cap guns. A 'Toy Gun', to me, is one which is bought in a shop for a small children to play with and which can cause no harm. An airsoft gun can for instance actually cause harm to an individual. I'm also wary of mandating guns imported or distributed into the IDS needing to include this 'orange stripe'. This seems like more big government nonsense which impinges on southerners gun rights especially with the extortionate fines this law is demanding.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »

I am hesitant to equate the term 'Toy Gun' with airsoft and cap guns. A 'Toy Gun', to me, is one which is bought in a shop for a small children to play with and which can cause no harm. An airsoft gun can for instance actually cause harm to an individual. I'm also wary of mandating guns imported or distributed into the IDS needing to include this 'orange stripe'. This seems like more big government nonsense which impinges on southerners gun rights especially with the extortionate fines this law is demanding.

This bill doesn't infringe on gun rights one bit, and it doesn't even restrict toy guns from children.  But, if you're a cop who happens to be driving down and you see two kids, teenagers, whatever, pointing plastic guns at each other, how do you think you'd immediately react?  Well, you can't really say for sure if you've never been in that situation, but you're not going to feel threatened or tempted to fire your gun if you know for sure that the guns those kids are holding are fake.  I know these mishaps aren't widespread in our region, but I think the children of the region, as well as the police, will benefit from being able to quickly tell the difference between a fake gun and a real gun.  A fine would only be imposed to ensure that gun manufacturers do their part.  If requiring toy guns to look like toy guns saves a few lives, I'd say it's worth it.

For the record, are you saying that you'd prefer restrictions on airsoft guns?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »

This bill doesn't infringe on gun rights one bit, and it doesn't even restrict toy guns from children.  But, if you're a cop who happens to be driving down and you see two kids, teenagers, whatever, pointing plastic guns at each other, how do you think you'd immediately react?  Well, you can't really say for sure if you've never been in that situation, but you're not going to feel threatened or tempted to fire your gun if you know for sure that the guns those kids are holding are fake.  I know these mishaps aren't widespread in our region, but I think the children of the region, as well as the police, will benefit from being able to quickly tell the difference between a fake gun and a real gun.  A fine would only be imposed to ensure that gun manufacturers do their part.  If requiring toy guns to look like toy guns saves a few lives, I'd say it's worth it.

For the record, are you saying that you'd prefer restrictions on airsoft guns?

Perhaps, but as you already said, such cases are extremely rare. I see no need for additional legislation covering this. More regulations and fines are not what the south needs right now. I was using the reference about airsoft guns merely to contrast with 'toy guns'. The best thing the Imperial Legislature can do is get off the back of IDS citizens.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »

The purpose of this bill is specified in the text.  Basically what this bill does is reenforce federal standards on toy weaponry so that they are less likely to be mistaken for real guns.
Do you mean that there is already a federal law that does this?

In the United States, yes, I believe there is and has been for a long time, so that law would have been grandfathered into Atlasia at its creation.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »

A vote will open tonight.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 08:36:37 PM »

Members, a final vote is now open.  Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.  This vote will last for 48 hours.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 08:37:01 PM »

Aye.
Enderman
Jack Enderman