Are Jews in the NYC area more conservative than in the US as a whole?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:45:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Are Jews in the NYC area more conservative than in the US as a whole?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are Jews in the NYC area more conservative than in the US as a whole?  (Read 1141 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:19:12 PM »

My feeling is it must be, despite the New York Times-reading Upper West Side liberal stereotype (which is declining demographically) and the large (and growing) Orthodox communities in the area (in Brooklyn and Queens, the Five Towns, Rockland County, Teaneck, etc.) as well as a large population of Russian-speaking Jews.

I haven't seen any recent studies of the Jewish vote in national elections for New York and New Jersey, but it's probably at least 35%.

I suspect Baltimore is more conservative as well, given its large Orthodox population.

In contrast, I suspect the Jews in the Bay Area and around Boston are more liberal than average.

Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:46 PM »

Once upon a time there was a poster here named NY Jew who was essentially a Jewish Rick Santorum. Does that answer your question?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:54:25 AM »

Basically all Hasids live in or near NYC so yeah. Kind of obvious.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 02:31:31 AM »

Once upon a time there was a poster here named NY Jew who was essentially a Jewish Rick Santorum. Does that answer your question?

No not really.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:35:19 AM »

Basically all Hasids live in or near NYC so yeah. Kind of obvious.

Probably, though it is possible for it to balance out if the non-Orthodox Jewish population is more liberal than elsewhere in the US.

Incidentally the tables have turned from say 60 years ago when the Jewish community in NYC was more left-wing than the US as a whole. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »

Yes, absolutely. NYC and Northwest Baltimore are the main reasons the Jewish vote these days is 70-30 D instead of 85-15.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »

Brooklyn is home to some of the craziest Jews I know, and sadly they are starting to come here in recent years, I assume over a half of the ultra radical extreme right wing militant settlers are Religious Americans. The orthodox support the GOP for social reasons as well and with NYC being their biggest hub (largest Jewish city in the world larger than both Tel Aviv and Warsaw at its peak) they change the nature of the electorate.
In Jewish communities I know in upstate NY\New England\west coast the voting figures for the democrats look like the ones in black neighbourhoods.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »

Does anyone have voting results for more religious suburbs like the Five Towns and Teaneck and suburbs with large (secular) Jewish populations like Scarsdale and Chappaqua?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 09:31:22 PM »

Does anyone have voting results for more religious suburbs like the Five Towns and Teaneck and suburbs with large (secular) Jewish populations like Scarsdale and Chappaqua?

Obama won Scarsdale 58.8 - 40.1 and Teaneck 71.9 - 27.3. Keep in mind that Scarsdale is very high-income and Teaneck is 28% black (in the 2010 census), so religiosity is not necessarily the main difference for the towns as a whole.

Chappaqua is not its own municipality but a significant part of the Town of New Castle, which voted Obama 62.0 - 36.7. The Five Towns are in the Town of Hempstead which as a whole voted Obama 56.2 - 42.7, but this doesn't really tell us anything about your question since Hempstead is over 750,000 people and mostly outside the area in question. I don't know whether anyone on the forum has a more specific breakdown.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »

Can't find the map but I remember the 2008 precinct results in the Five Towns were bad for Obama.  Especially compared to previous Democratic presidential. The  area as a whole has gotten much more religious in nature. Areas like Cedarhurst used to have a thriving shopping area on Saturdays but that is a thing of the past. Furthermore, many in the community latched on to the Obama is anti-Israel meme early. Very generally speaking where you fall on the religious spectrum correlates to national level voting patterns. Although I have noticed a subtle but marked drift toward the right from even the secular community. My pithy and mildly off color saying used to be, you don't wear a hat, you're a Democrat.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:01 PM »

Checking the UJA Study for the New York area, the most heavily Jewish suburb is Great Neck (around 70%), followed by the Five Towns (56%).  Great Neck I believe is more traditional if not as Orthodox as the Five Towns.

Westchester has a more Reform and secular Jewish population than Nassau and is probably more evenly spread through the county.  The biggest concentration is in South Central Westchester - which includes Scarsdale, White Plains and part of New Rochelle (36%), though I assume this number is higher in Scarsdale alone (maybe 50%?). 

Note the UJA only covers NYC, Long Island and Westchester and thus excludes Rockland County and New Jersey.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 11:22:07 PM »

Can't find the map but I remember the 2008 precinct results in the Five Towns were bad for Obama.  Especially compared to previous Democratic presidential. The  area as a whole has gotten much more religious in nature. Areas like Cedarhurst used to have a thriving shopping area on Saturdays but that is a thing of the past. Furthermore, many in the community latched on to the Obama is anti-Israel meme early. Very generally speaking where you fall on the religious spectrum correlates to national level voting patterns. Although I have noticed a subtle but marked drift toward the right from even the secular community. My pithy and mildly off color saying used to be, you don't wear a hat, you're a Democrat.

The Canadian equivalent of the Five Towns is the Toronto suburb of Thornhill.  It's a high-income, very Orthodox suburb where the Israel issue really matters and which has become a stronghold for the Conservatives.  Some of the polls (precincts) in the Orthodox Jewish section went over 90% Conservative.  Even when Stephen Harper's Conservatives go down to an almost inevitable defeat in the next election, Thornhill could very well stick with the Conservatives to reward "more pro-Israel than most Israelis" Harper. 

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 11:23:59 PM »

Just a note that the Five Towns is much more Jewish one you take out Inwood, which doesnt really belong.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 11:30:12 PM »

The ones I know are.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »

If there's a 70/30 split nationally, perhaps a 55/45 split in and around NYC sounds reasonable given its much larger proportion of Orthodox, traditional and Russian Jews.

It would be also interesting look at other metro results, comparing say Skokie and Highland Park in Chicagoland or the various "Jewish" sections of L.A. etc.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies