Does Santa Claus give presents to non-Christians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:15:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Does Santa Claus give presents to non-Christians?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: In your/your family's conception of Santa Claus, is the gift-giving restricted to Christian children?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Does Santa Claus give presents to non-Christians?  (Read 2132 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »

I've always tended to assume he gives presents to any children who celebrate Christmas, which would include many non-Christians (particularly in Japan and the Far East) and exclude a small number of Christians (mainly Jehovah's Witnesses and the like). At least that's what I would tell my children if I had any and they asked the question.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:00:17 PM »

My mom has almost accepted that i am non-religious and is still planning on getting me things for Christmas. So yes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »

No. (Bushie normal)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:12:19 PM »

The topic has never come up in any family discussion.  I grew up in a household which was fairly low key about religion.  We went to church every Sunday, and some of the children's books had Bible stories, but there was never much cursing or prayer, with grace being said at meal times only when company was present.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:26:41 PM »

I don't know. Been a while since I viewed it from the perspective of someone actually believing in Santa.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »

Yes (accidentally voted no). Your assumption in the initial post was always my assumption, probably because I had plenty of non-Christian friends around me growing up, who would tell me what presents they got from Santa.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:05:33 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2013, 10:10:44 PM by Assemblyman DC »

My parents told me Santa Claus didn't exist when I asked about it at age 3. I intend on doing the same with my kids.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »

Yes (accidentally voted no). Your assumption in the initial post was always my assumption, probably because I had plenty of non-Christian friends around me growing up, who would tell me what presents they got from Santa.

Oh boy, once again Indy has posted a poll with wording opposite from the subject line.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »

What an odd premise.  If he gave presents to non-Christian children, then why didn't they actually receive any?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »

Well, Christmas is no longer a Christian holiday, so likely yes.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 10:31:02 PM »

If I had kids, once they were old enough to cross-examine me about the minutia of Santa Claus's religious leanings, they would be old enough to know Santa is make-believe.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »

Well, my family celebrates Christmas and has never really been religious, so yes.

EDIT: Dammit, I didn't read the poll right. My vote should be no.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »

If I had kids, once they were old enough to cross-examine me about the minutia of Santa Claus's religious leanings, they would be old enough to know Santa is make-believe.
Minutia is a really awful word Smiley 
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »

Well, Christmas is no longer a Christian holiday, so likely yes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 12:10:10 AM »

Our kids have known Santa was BS since forever, we haven't put up a tree or any decorations for years.  They still get presents, but it's usually just $CASH$ and rarely on Dec 25th.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 12:48:01 AM »

By the way, here's a protip for those of you who want to keep your children believing in Santa Claus as long as possible.  Get someone else to sign Santa's name on the gift tags.  I noticed as a kid that Santa had the same handwriting as mom. However, lest you think I was some super sleuth, when I was in second grade I never noticed that the fake Santa who was at our school delivering presents to us kids at our Christmas party on the last day before Christmas break was my very own dad!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 04:20:43 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2013, 05:06:38 AM by Tender Branson »

Santa doesn't bring the Christmas presents anyway. Christkind does.

Santa brings small presents to children on St. Nicholas Day, which is tomorrow.

Oh you Americans ...

Tongue
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 04:43:59 AM »

By the way, here's a protip for those of you who want to keep your children believing in Santa Claus as long as possible.  Get someone else to sign Santa's name on the gift tags.  I noticed as a kid that Santa had the same handwriting as mom. However, lest you think I was some super sleuth, when I was in second grade I never noticed that the fake Santa who was at our school delivering presents to us kids at our Christmas party on the last day before Christmas break was my very own dad!

my tipoff was my grandpa coughing and munching on cookies at midnight eastern.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 07:02:22 AM »

As a non-christian, I can testify this is indeed the case. Wink
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2013, 08:51:21 AM by MODU »

Since "Santa Claus" is a part of the secular holiday of Christmas, I see no reason why any kid is restricted from receiving presents.  Heck, some of my Jewish cousins celebrate the secular holiday of Christmas.  They even put up a tree and hang stockings.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »

I've always tended to assume he gives presents to any children who celebrate Christmas, which would include many non-Christians (particularly in Japan and the Far East) and exclude a small number of Christians (mainly Jehovah's Witnesses and the like). At least that's what I would tell my children if I had any and they asked the question.

Agreed.

Well, my family celebrates Christmas and has never really been religious, so yes.

At least this cancels out.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 10:19:48 PM »

Agreed.

At least this cancels out.

Except that I think a "no" answer in the poll is the same as a "yes" answer to the thread title... so my no vote was actually correct...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2013, 03:35:45 PM by angus »

By all means!

Certainly in the Far East and the United States.  My Hindu friends and East Asian friends and atheist friends tend to be visited by Santa Claus.  The only people I've met who were specifically anti-Santa Claus were Jews and Muslims and a few ex-Protestants who have sworn off religion in general.  My son has never asked me about any specific relationship between Christmas and religion, and since we celebrate Christmas the American way (irreligious, materialistic, consumerist) I don't imagine that the question would ever come up.  In fact, since we don't practice any religion at home, I doubt it has ever even occurred to him that Christmas has anything to do with Jesus.  I probably should school him in that at some point.  Hmm.  I think I will do that this year.  But yeah Santa Claus brings toys and other stuff to all the boys and girls who are on his "nice" list, and he puts a big turd on your pillow if you're on his naughty list.  At least that's what I've always told my son.

Ernest, you reminded me that my son noticed that "Santa Claus has the same kind of wrapping paper as we do" when he was about 5 years old.  He was always very cynical about Santa Claus.  He's 8 now and I'm pretty sure he has just been playing along for several years.  

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »

He gave me gifts, so yes.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52