54'40
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:55:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  54'40
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 54'40  (Read 6709 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2005, 09:24:07 PM »

What if B.C. was allowed to become a state and 54'40 was agreed to?

How would B.C. play out in US elections.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 11:00:36 PM »

what exactly is 54'40?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 11:14:50 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2005, 11:16:23 PM by Jesus »

what exactly is 54'40?

54'40 or fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Polk like, ran on a campaign of taking all of Oregon Country (WA,OR,BC, plus a bit of ID, MT)

or something.

BC would be democrat.  i realize that it would be more conservative had it been American for 150+ years, but most of the population lives in the Vancouver area, not to mention Victoria, so like Washington and Oregon it would still be Democrat.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 12:08:49 AM »

I'm not sure what it'd be like if it was there from the get-go, but today it would be solid Democrat.  The only reason it seems so conservative is because of massive vote-splitting.  My Conservative MP won re-election with only 34% (!) of the vote.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 12:20:27 PM »

I'm not sure what it'd be like if it was there from the get-go, but today it would be solid Democrat.  The only reason it seems so conservative is because of massive vote-splitting.  My Conservative MP won re-election with only 34% (!) of the vote.

Did two liberals split the vote badly or what?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 05:16:14 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2005, 05:20:47 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

Three, actually.  There was David Mulroney, the Liberal Party candidate, Jennifer Burgis, the NDP candidate, and Andrew Lewis, the Green Party Candidate.  All together, the three of them amassed 65% of the vote, but among them the vote was split 27% - 21% - 17%, respectively, which resulted in Gary Lunn being re-elected even though nearly 2/3 of the population voted for someone else.

Looking through the election results in BC, there are actually only 4 candidates out of 36 who were elected with a majority of the vote.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 05:36:49 PM »

Three, actually.  There was David Mulroney, the Liberal Party candidate, Jennifer Burgis, the NDP candidate, and Andrew Lewis, the Green Party Candidate.  All together, the three of them amassed 65% of the vote, but among them the vote was split 27% - 21% - 17%, respectively, which resulted in Gary Lunn being re-elected even though nearly 2/3 of the population voted for someone else.

Looking through the election results in BC, there are actually only 4 candidates out of 36 who were elected with a majority of the vote.

That's why countries like yours need a run-off to decide elections, or going even further, Instant Run-off Voting.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 05:59:51 PM »

That's why countries like yours need a run-off to decide elections, or going even further, Instant Run-off Voting.

Or even better, Ranked Pairs voting.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 06:09:38 PM »

There actually is a proposition on the ballot in the upcoming provincial election to establish a form of instant run-off voting as the election method for BC.  I plan to vote yes on it, for the above reason.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 06:01:32 PM »

While I was in college I took a class where we went to Victoria and spoke with MPs and stuff.  What struck me was that the "Conservatives" sounded more like our Democrats and the NDPs would have been totally unelectable in even my liberal native state of Oregon.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 04:40:34 PM »

While I was in college I took a class where we went to Victoria and spoke with MPs and stuff.  What struck me was that the "Conservatives" sounded more like our Democrats and the NDPs would have been totally unelectable in even my liberal native state of Oregon.

That's why it's so ridiculous that some people want the Democratic party to move to the right. Compared to other countries, the Democratic party is right-wing already.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 06:13:51 PM »

That's because, compared to other countries the United States is right winged!
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 06:19:33 PM »

The participative electorate is center-right.

America as a whole isn't.

But if you don't participate in the voting process, your point of view is considered moot.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 12:57:36 AM »

But if you don't participate in the voting process, your point of view is considered moot.

It seems to me that the fact that nearly 50% of the electorate doesn't vote is the fault of that 50%, not of the politicians.  It doesn't do the politicians any good to care about someone who isn't going to vote one way or another.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 05:38:03 PM »

So... every other industrialised/Western country is Left-winged?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 11:12:33 PM »

There actually is a proposition on the ballot in the upcoming provincial election to establish a form of instant run-off voting as the election method for BC.  I plan to vote yes on it, for the above reason.

So, what happened, Gabu? Grin
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 11:18:06 PM »

Mostly that I found out that it only applied to provincial elections.  That and I read other articles that highlighted negatives that I hadn't thought of.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 11:19:13 PM »

Mostly that I found out that it only applied to provincial elections.

Not as much fun as expected, eh? Perhaps they couldn't, legally, apply it to Canadian federal elections? Huh
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 11:20:29 PM »

Not as much fun as expected, eh? Perhaps they couldn't, legally, apply it to Canadian federal elections? Huh

I would imagine that it probably wouldn't be fair and certainly wouldn't be legal to allow each province to decide how to elect its representatives, after thinking about it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 11:30:51 PM »

Mostly that I found out that it only applied to provincial elections.  That and I read other articles that highlighted negatives that I hadn't thought of.

What made you think it would be for federal elections?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 11:32:14 PM »

I would imagine that it probably wouldn't be fair and certainly wouldn't be legal to allow each province to decide how to elect its representatives, after thinking about it.

Although that is exactly the situation in the U.S., subject to certain federal laws. If certain standards were followed to ensure no one was disenfranchised, it would probably work out okay.
M

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2005, 10:33:43 AM »

Comparatively, with the notable exceptions of Israel and prehaps Japan.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005, 03:55:25 PM »

Comparatively, with the notable exceptions of Israel and prehaps Japan.

And maybe Australia, too.
M

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2005, 11:46:09 PM »

Australia does have a powerful right wing that is in some ways similar to the American. But on the whole, Australia is probably not more or equally right wing, but more like a little to the left.

Another potential candidate: Taiwan.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies