At-Large Senate Debate - A Mix of Regular Debate and Town Hall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:03:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  At-Large Senate Debate - A Mix of Regular Debate and Town Hall
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: At-Large Senate Debate - A Mix of Regular Debate and Town Hall  (Read 1098 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:37:34 PM »

At-Large Debate

We are in the beautiful grounds of the IDS in Savannah, Georgia, and it's just a week from the election. This will be a quick, fast paced debate where both the Debate moderator and people from the audience will be asking questions of the candidates. Get ready, because here we go: Start with your opening statements!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:49:48 PM »

First, I would like to thank Senator Maxwell for hosting this debate. It is my pleasure to be speaking before you all today!

Four months ago, I was elected on a promise that I would be an active and engaged Senator. Standing here today, I am confident that I have lived up to that promise. I have been active in the debate of legislation, have been a key member in the discussion of regional reform, served on the mental health care reform group, and had not missed a vote until this past weekend when I was away for Thanksgiving break. In the first session, I introduced more amendments than any other Senator, and while that alone shouldn't determine how active a Senator is, I think it is a strong indication of how I have been committed to passing moderate, bi-partisan legislation.

Now more than ever, it is important that we have a stable Senate that consists of dependable and active Senators. That is why I made the decision to seek another term in the Atlasian Senate. I have a strong record of activity over the past four months, and sending me back to the Senate will bring more stability and continued activity for the next four months.

Thank you, and I look forward to making my case to The People as this debate progresses. Smiley
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »

I would also like to thank Senator Maxwell for opening up this debate and for all the people who are attending (actually reading this).

When I joined Atlasia, I thought it would be full of petty politics, unnecessary fighting, and those who don't care about the game.

I was right.

But I thought we could be better, work together, and move this country forward.

During the time of the NMAM takeover of the Pacific Council, I was in the minority, with only PJ and I trying to pass bills against an inactive Council that held 60% of the seats. I had always thought that if I tried hard enough I could get possibly one or two votes for our bills.

In the 7th Pacific Council, the NMAM majority was defeated and active Councillors were in the majority again. We began passing all these bills to protect the environment, create jobs, and we were successful in implementing these bills and we have had a huge success of a Council, possibly one of the best the Pacific has seen.

I have fought for individual freedoms, better jobs and better workplace standards, I am a firm believer that we need more investment in public schools. I've always believed that two consenting adults should be able to get married, that some of those here want to repeal that because they don't like it is horrible to think. I believe that we should keep criminalizing bestiality, that we should try to protect children from crazed maniacs who can get guns, I want us to protect national resources, to put more investments in green energy, to protect domestic abuse victims, I just want our country to succeed.

And if you elect me next week, I will promise you I will be an active Senator, I will take all sides into consideration on these bills, I will be someone who will have integrity, and I will serve this nation humbly and with the respect it and all people should deserve.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 03:08:39 PM »

Hello everyone, and thanks to Maxwell for hosting this "forum".

I've been an Atlasian citizen for a year and a half now, and served in a wide variety of offices at the regional and federal level, although I have yet to make it into the Senate. As a former ME Assemblyman, former SoEA, former Deputy SoFE, former NE Lt. Governor and Acting Governor, and current NE Representative, I've shown my dependability and activity.

I hope to use this as a forum to elucidate my views on a number of issues, but rest assured, I will remain steadfast and radical in my views, and not moderate for the sake of moderation, even though I am open to compromise.

I'm running in this election to help push for reforms, especially as they concern with the regions. This was a hallmark of my last (unsuccesful) campaign for the Senate. I am a strong proponent of regional reform, whether through the Duke plan or the Bore plan, and streamlining my election process. I've worked in the past to create deputy executive positions, to resolve environmental issues, fund transportation, and overhaul our school systems, so regional reform would not be my only goal by any means I am elected, although I will not shy away from pushing it.

I hope to win the trust of The People next week and promise to serve them well if elected.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2013, 04:47:25 PM by Assemblyman Mr. X »

Hello, and thanks to Senator Maxwell for hosting this debate.  I also want to thank my fellow candidates for joining me and making this such a great election Smiley  

I could go on and on about my record, but that is all there for everyone to see in my campaign thread.  Honestly, I think my record in the Senate and the Assembly speaks for itself Smiley  I'm here to answer your questions, concerns, and just maybe earn some votes Smiley  What I will say is that what you get with me is someone who will work hard and never stop fighting for The People.  You'll get someone who has always proven both willing to stand on principle when necessary and eager to find pragmatic compromises whenever possible.  You'll get a Senator who has always treated folks on the other side of the isle with respect and never belittled their views, regardless of whether or not there was an election on the horizon.  Most importantly, you'll get a Senator who will be active, participate in debate, show up to vote, and who is willing to resign if the day ever comes when he cannot continue to do so.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that one way or another, when it comes me what you see is exactly what you get!  I trust The People to decide whether or not that is a good thing Wink  
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2013, 09:06:03 PM by Senator Maxwell »

Candidates entering late may also give their opening statements, but for the sake of time, we have to move on:

What do you believe are the follies of the previous Senate on Game Reform, and what do you think we can improve about the way the game operates?
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:13:37 PM »

The only problem with the last bill was that three Senators, who if you remember, all supported one type of regional reform or another. It was a solid bill and we could have had our goals for the game met.

Personally, to make the game better, I think we should lower the number of regions to three, to raise the number of Senators to 12, with 2 regional senators per region and 6 at-large senators. I don't believe in abolishing regions, and I think it's the regions rights to determine the number of Representatives they have.

We need to keep our current cabinet positions, and I think that sums up my views on that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:17:19 PM »

Well the obvious one, cliche as it sounds, is simply showing up to vote Tongue  How can we hope to make Atlasia more effective, if some Senators don't even care enough to vote?  Regional consolidation didn't fail because it lacked support, it failed because not one, not two, but three Senators (the bill's sponsor and two of its supporters) failed to even show up.  That is an outrage and I promise if I'm elected that no bill will ever fail because I didn't bother to vote!  As for actual game reform, I am a staunch supporter of the Duke plan.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »

I think the most challenging part of the past few months has been the lack of involvement by some Senators. I think it is important that we remember that constitutional amendments should only be passed if they fix an error or actually will have an impact on the game.

Since August, I have been an active promoter of the "Nix Plan", which involves three regions and twelve Senators, six being elected at-large and six being elected by the regions, who would also run the Senate elections independently. I think it is important though that the solution we find is one that is acceptable to as many as possible, and I have supported requirements that ensure that such satisfaction is meant.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »

(crickets chirping)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »

The issue with the last Senate was a general feeling of apathy when discussing regional reform, even though nearly every member of that body had strong feelings on it. I was sad to see it fail, but what's done is done, and I only hope a bill can be pushed through in the next Senate.

I was one of the earliest to support the plan creating 6 At-Large Senators and 6 Regional Senators, with 3 regions, and I mentioned this quite a lot in my October campaign, but I certainly oppose any attempt to strip the DoFE of the ability to run these regions as a pointless and ineffective gesture to the regions. That said, I would also be willing to support the bicameral plan put forth by President Duke if that were the one which received the most support. I think having one or both bodies under partisan control would boost interest in the game.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 07:20:26 PM »

If I'm being completely honest, when it comes to game reform, I'm not sure how much of a difference we can make. We can't increase election turnout, that's up to the individual political parties, and we can't increase the activity of office holders, people's activity level is something we really have no control over. We can do things like consolidate the regions, which will have both upsides and downsides so it's arguable if it will actually make things much better overall.

Keep in mind that this doesn't mean I oppose every effort at game reform, I just think that most people are going about it the wrong way. For example, the number regions matter less than what those regions can actually do. If the power of the regions is limited too much and everything is decided at the federal level, then nobody will care about regional politics. So I think that the best kind of game reform is that which increases the power of the regions and allows more diversity between them, which is something that I don't hear many of the people focused on "game reform" talk about.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »

Allright, let's move on with another question:

What will be your first policy priority when you enter the Senate?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »

Well, as stated earlier, finding a solution to regional reform will be a top priority in the upcoming session. I have already spent a considerable amount of time on this issue, and I would prefer it not be for naught. My mission will be to present a constitutional amendment to the region by the end of the next session, giving The People the final say on this important issue.

In addition to regional reform, another issue I have taken a particular interest in is human trafficking, and whether it ultimately rests on the regional or federal level, I will be pushing for legislation that cracks down on this depressing issue. It is estimated that 50,000 individuals are trafficked into Atlasia each year- that is an unacceptable in my opinion, and I will be finding solutions based off laws passed by state governments.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »

Also, candidates don't forget that The Record-Courier also has questions on it's thread for Senate candidates to answer. Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »

Honestly, I think the first order of business needs to be simply passing the legislation that three Senators infamously didn't even show up to vote for.  After that, I have a major crime bill and an education reform proposal in the works.  But again, first thing is first, we need to pass that game reform bill!
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »

Allright, let's move on with another question:

Regional reform.

To all candidates:

1. Do you support making it easier for the Senate to expel inactive Senators? Can anything else can be done to improve how engaged our Senators are?

2. Do you favor cutting any federal spending or programs?

1. I do, one way is to lower the number of days a Senator not post in the Senate from seven to five, and the only thing right now to improve Senator participation is to elect active Senators.

2. No program I see right now is unnecessary, I do favor lowering taxes on the poorest Atlasians and green energy companies.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »

Thank you Maxwell for hosting this debate.    Sorry I'm a bit late.  I don't have a grand opening statement, other than if I'm elected I'll fight for greater freedom for all, to seek prudent policies that help the common good, and let more people to have a voice in their futures. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I haven't seen much from the Senate when it comes to anything I would consider actual game reform. If we are talking about things like reorganizing regions, or getting more people involved, or making the institutions of government work better - that is not something I would call game reform. That is a matter of citizenship, and how we organize our political life. To just talk about it as "game reform" obscures this. Maybe if the Senate changed its perception it would actually make an attempt to engage the people whom they represent more fully in these issues, and put aside personal rivalries.

My first policy priorities I have in mind are to return power to the regions and local communities when it comes to education, and also to end all mandatory minimums for federal crimes.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2013, 12:16:03 AM by shua »

1. Do you support making it easier for the Senate to expel inactive Senators? Can anything else can be done to improve how engaged our Senators are?

I think the Senate has quite a bit of power already when it comes to expelling its members.  If anything further is required to remove inactive Senators, I'd prefer it be through a recall process.  What I think we might consider to have more engaged Senators is to have shorter terms, maybe 2 or 3 months instead of four.  That way members have less time to drift into inactivity, and if they do the people can choose to replace them sooner.

I'll get back to you on this real quick, but first one other idea when it comes to game reform that this reminded me of:  we might rethink the GMs role when it comes to filling budgetary requests for estimates.  If the GM were the one who said whether estimates made by others turned out to be accurate rather than the one who makes the estimates and then that becomes the final word - that would be more realistic and I think also more interesting and allow the GM to do other things. I think that could work if we wanted to go in that direction.

As far as the budget I'm a bit confused about the status of the CSSRA, since the October budget includes the spending for that law but not the revenue. If the revenue portions of that bill are being dispensed with and are being funded successfully through other revenue that is great, let's just make that clear. If the people are still paying the CSSRA taxes, then we need to lower other taxes, particularly the Healthcare Payroll tax, because it means the people are drowning in taxes by now. We reformed the Healthcare benefits to reduce spending and hopefully get it into line. But then we never reduced the taxes as well as was originally envisioned and now they are higher than ever. Meanwhile the guaranteed income program also needs to be incorporated into the budget.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 08:13:28 AM »

To all candidates: would you introduce any legislation relating to Atlasian foreign policy? If so, what?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »

Shua, you are still a member of the CSSRA Committee so helps us! We need u desperately!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »

Where do you stand on the Employer Non-Interference Act, the Collective Bargaining Modernization Act, and the Co-determination Act?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 05:01:28 PM »

Well, we have already lowered the number of days a Senator can be inactive in order to be expelled. I would support an amendment to the OSPR that possibly would allow the Senate to expel a Senator who is just barely meeting that requirement, but there would need to be safeguards, such as requiring an unanimous vote. I think what has happened over the past few months has opened up quite a few eyes and has brought significant attention to Senate activity, so I do not foresee this being a major issue going forward.

I would prefer to see a budget that incorporates Nixcome before commenting on the budget as a whole. That being said, one area of the budget that I think too much is spent on is education - both the regions and federal government are spending an enormous amount, way above RL levels, if I recall correctly. I  think we should focus less on throwing money at this issue and instead focus on how we spend the money already allocated.

To all candidates: would you introduce any legislation relating to Atlasian foreign policy? If so, what?
Foreign policy has never been my area of expertise, as I usually rely on several advisers when making decisions on it. The only way I see myself introducing legislation is if it is on behalf of a citizen or The Administration.

Where do you stand on the Employer Non-Interference Act, the Collective Bargaining Modernization Act, and the Co-determination Act?
I could see myself supporting the Employer Non-Interference Act, but not under the current version. I think the penalties are far too high, and as you suggested in the thread, I would much prefer a maximum instead of a minimum or a percentage penalty. I think we are taking things a bit too far if we are penalizing a company $50,000 for not having a poster in plain view, especially considering what an easy fix that would be.

As for the Collective Bargaining Modernization Act, upon my first reading, I don't have any specific qualms with it, but would prefer not to take a definite side on it until I know more information. I will also be willing to support the Co-Determination Act with a couple changes, specifically the number of seats reserved for the different types of companies.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »

I believe we continue to have too many unhelpful and counterproductive economic sanctions against other countries, so I will be looking into reforming that.

ENIA: I believe the definition of "interference" is too broad - all the examples mentioned we ought to prohibit, but prohibiting any and all "discouraging" of unions could be a free speech issue.  I also think there are some places that may legitimately not want strangers wandering around, and there are some employment situations where requiring a poster would be unnecessary or impractical.

CBMA: I strongly oppose this. The interest of some workers in a sector of the economy may not be adequately represented by the main union, and they should be free to join or create another  union.

CdA: I would have a hard time supporting this as is, but would consider a modified version, particularly if the required proportion were lessened and worker representatives were directly elected.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »

I would like to simplify the tax code. lowering tax rates, reducing the number of brackets, eliminating unnecessary loopholes and deductions, etc. Another major priority would be looking at where we are spending money and seeing what can be cut and what things need to be run more efficiently. Basically, I want to make things as simple possible for the taxpayer while also making sure we spend their money as wisely and responsibly as possible.

To all candidates:

I like Tmth's idea of being able to expel Senators who are close to the line with a unanimous votes. Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure  what can be done to imporve Senate activity but I'm open to suggestions.

I don't have the numbers in front of me at the moment, so I'm not sure what programs we might be spending too much. However, as a general rule of thumb I don't think any program should be off the table when it comes to dissing what cuts need to be made.

Yeah, I might. Like Shua I do think many of our sanctions are unnecessary and counterproductive. Otherwise, for the most part Atlasia seems to be doing well when it comes to foreign policy.

ENIA: I agree with Shua's complaints about the definition of "interference" being too broad and problematic, along with the points he brings up about employers having legitimate reasons for not wanting union organizers to enter certain areas and posters being impractical and unnecessary in some situations. If it were brought to a vote right now, I would vote NAY.

CBMA: I am opposed to the idea of industry-wide collective bargaining, so I would vote NAY.

CdA: Eh, I am pretty hesitant towards supporting this, but maybe it's supporters can convince me to change my mind. As of right now, I'm leaning towards NAY.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies