Biographies of the Presidents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:40:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biographies of the Presidents
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biographies of the Presidents  (Read 1386 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2005, 01:22:08 PM »
« edited: March 13, 2005, 01:29:53 PM by Richius »

I have added a new goal in life for myself.  There have been just over 40 presidents, and I need to know more about them.  I want to read TWO biographies/autobiography on each president: a "in favor" one, and a dissenting one.

Do you have any particular books you guys can recommend that you enjoyed?  It has to be a biography or autobiography of a former president, and it must be a decent book (no 100 page books, I want a comprehensive book).

Here is what I have so far:

32) Franklin D. Roosevelt - Franklin D. Roosevelt: Champion of Freedom by Conrad Black
42) Bill Clinton - My Life by Bill Clinton
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 01:25:15 PM »

James K. Polk is excellent and I have one on Eisenhower that I'll try to dig up later today.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 01:27:31 PM »

James K. Polk is excellent and I have one on Eisenhower that I'll try to dig up later today.
James K Polk?  You're going to have to be a wee bit more specific, lad.  Who was the author?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 01:31:57 PM »

James K Polk?  You're going to have to be a wee bit more specific, lad.  Who was the author?

I'll dig for it later, most likely buried on a shelf somewhere.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 02:19:01 PM »

How many presidents wrote memoirs?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 06:45:57 PM »

The first President to write his memoirs was Thomas Jefferson, and all since have written them. Jefferson wropte his to make some money. He had opended a nail smithy, but it failed to produce much of a profit.

U.S. Grant's memoirs were written with the help of Mark Twain. They amde 500,000 dollars in royalties.

Jefferson Davis's memoirs "The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government" was, as Davis said, "A Defense, not a history."

Harry Truman's memoirs were the first to include the fact that he had no idea what the Manhattan Project even was and he had to be breifed by Secretary of War Stimson a few hours after FDR's death.

Eisenhower took more pride in a book he had written on Gettysburg than his memoirs.

Some Presidential trivia for you all from the self described master of Presidential History.

Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 09:09:45 PM »

The first President to write his memoirs was Thomas Jefferson, and all since have written them. Jefferson wropte his to make some money. He had opended a nail smithy, but it failed to produce much of a profit.

U.S. Grant's memoirs were written with the help of Mark Twain. They amde 500,000 dollars in royalties.

Jefferson Davis's memoirs "The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government" was, as Davis said, "A Defense, not a history."

Harry Truman's memoirs were the first to include the fact that he had no idea what the Manhattan Project even was and he had to be breifed by Secretary of War Stimson a few hours after FDR's death.

Eisenhower took more pride in a book he had written on Gettysburg than his memoirs.

Some Presidential trivia for you all from the self described master of Presidential History.

I'm pretty sure Polk, Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Wilson, Harding, and JFK didn't write memoirs.

Well, JFK did.

But the rest of them?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 09:42:56 PM »

Let me recommend two fairly scholarly popbooks that I've read and enjoyed:

Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship
by Jon Meacham

and

Forced into Glory:  Abraham Lincoln's White Dream
by Lerone Bennett

I can also point you in the direction of what is, in my estimation, the truest biography of Caligula, if you're into Roman emperors. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies