Opinion of James Monroe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:43:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of James Monroe
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of James Monroe?
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of James Monroe  (Read 2966 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2013, 07:16:59 PM by ElectionsGuy »

George Washington: 77.6% Approval
John Adams: 87.0% Approval
Thomas Jefferson: 70.4% Approval
James Madison: 81.0% Approval

5th President of the United States: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Monroe

A decent FF.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »

FF.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »

Look at the 1820 map. Despite all issues of the day, he won every state. (Of course, three electors died before they could vote and a faithless elector voted for John Quincy Adams, but the point remains.)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »

FF.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »

Not a fan of the Monroe Doctrine. HP.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »

Owned slaves=automatic HP.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »

Lean HP.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:14:03 PM »

Does that include the free blacks that also owned slaves?
Rooney
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »

Monroe flip flopped on the waste known as internal improvements. He opposed the National and Cumberland Road Act before he approved of them. Then he signed a bill that extended the Cumberland Road from Wheeling to Zanesville, Ohio. Additionally, he overreacted to the Panic of 1819 by supporting the policy proposed by Secretary of Treasury William Crawford which relaxed payment terms on mortgages for lands purchased from the federal government. This move only encouraged federal land speculation which would lead to the Panic of 1837.

J.Q. Adams and Monroe's much heralded doctrine has never protected a single Latin American nation from European meddling but has allowed the United States a blank check to intervene in the affairs of Venezuela, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Colombia and Nicaragua to only name a few. The Monroe Doctrine was a power grab, more or less, by the United States. I guess we can applaud Adams and Monroe for having the foresight to see that the U.S. would eventually be strong enough to behave however it wanted towards it's southern neighbors. However, one can hardly call that a positive thing.   

All in all he is not a favorite president of mine.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »

Yeah- it doesn't make it any less reprehensible.
Ichabod
Kierkegaard
Rookie
Chile

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 09:43:06 PM »

I'm from Chile + Monroe Doctrine = HP
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 09:44:41 PM »

FF
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »

I love how you basically assume he's okay with slavery as long as black people own other people.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 08:33:56 PM »

I love how you basically assume he's okay with slavery as long as black people own other people.

I love how he assumes owning slaves makes someone an HP by default.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 08:37:27 PM »

FF

But I always found him very boring.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 11:33:02 PM »

You are owning other human beings.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »

Nobody is defending the act of slavery here. It's just a bit ridiculous to slave owning as a factor in an opinion poll about someone born in the 18th century.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 01:46:41 PM »

Nobody is defending the act of slavery here. It's just a bit ridiculous to slave owning as a factor in an opinion poll about someone born in the 18th century.

Agreed. Most of the 18th century politicians in the western world would be horrible racist scumbags by todays standards. But applying modern standards is not fair to those people.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »

Agreed. Most of the 18th century politicians in the western world would be horrible racist scumbags by todays standards. But applying modern standards is not fair to those people.
It's not like there were any people in the time period who opposed slavery, or entire states where it was abolished...
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »

It's not like there were any people in the time period who opposed slavery, or entire states where it was abolished...
The very next president we'll vote on was an abolitionist as well…
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »

True. But being opposed to slavery did not say you were pro civil-rights. Many people didn't like slavery as a institution, but they didn't like blacks either.

In many ways the Abraham Lincoln of 1860 would be considered a horrible racist in our time, while in 1860 he was a progressive on the issue of slavery.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »

True. But being opposed to slavery did not say you were pro civil-rights. Many people didn't like slavery as a institution, but they didn't like blacks either.

In many ways the Abraham Lincoln of 1860 would be considered a horrible racist in our time, while in 1860 he was a progressive on the issue of slavery.
That's not the issue though. Slavery was a controversial issue at the time of Monroe's presidency, so calling him an HP for owning slaves is not setting him to the modern standard.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »

That's not the issue though. Slavery was a controversial issue at the time of Monroe's presidency, so calling him an HP for owning slaves is not setting him to the modern standard.

It wasn't that controversial around 1820. Slavery was still pretty normal. And the American Civil War started 30 years after he died. He was hardly the exception. And I don't believe that being a slave-owner in the early 19th century makes you a immediate horrible person.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »

It wasn't that controversial around 1820. Slavery was still pretty normal. And the American Civil War started 30 years after he died. He was hardly the exception. And I don't believe that being a slave-owner in the early 19th century makes you a immediate horrible person.
Slavery was already illegal in your state during Monroe's presidency. It was simply a wedge issue that America was divided on for a long period of time. It's not just that Monroe was a slave owner, but since he owned slaves, he opposed prohibition of it, which makes someone an HP at a time when states were banning slavery.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 03:13:31 PM »

Saying that slavery wasn't controversial in 1820 is offensive revisionist history.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies