Will you let politics get in the way of friendships?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:42:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Will you let politics get in the way of friendships?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is standing up for your political views worth risking losing a friend over?
Yes, I will always stand up for my political views

No, I'll keep my mouth shut cause friends are more important

I'm not sure.  It depends on who I'm with.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Will you let politics get in the way of friendships?  (Read 3122 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2005, 04:35:01 PM »

No, although I have to admit that I'd have trouble relating to someone who is extremely conservative on social issues.

Times are changing. Even social conservatives like Jake and Josh22 keep up with normal things, like college basketball and other things. Fundamentalists aren't amish.

I know that, but I like to share more with friends than college basketball.

I would have trouble relating to them because I see the world much differently. I do not find it right to enforce religious moral standpoints onto others. That's all.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2005, 04:38:04 PM »

No, although I have to admit that I'd have trouble relating to someone who is extremely conservative on social issues.

Times are changing. Even social conservatives like Jake and Josh22 keep up with normal things, like college basketball and other things. Fundamentalists aren't amish.

I know that, but I like to share more with friends than college basketball.

I would have trouble relating to them because I see the world much differently. I do not find it right to enforce religious moral standpoints onto others. That's all.

I was only using college basketball because I have had conversations with both on the topic. I guess college basketball means less to those in your neck of the woods than in ACC country Smiley

I see your point, and it does effect who I'm friends with, though I'm not really around too many fundamentalist Christians, there might be 3 out of over 200 kids in my grade.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2005, 04:47:18 PM »

Side Note: Route 1 sucks.

I hate driving that thing.

carry on

Yeah. Roosevelt Boulevard sucks.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2005, 04:47:59 PM »

carry on

I'll vouch for it sucking for several miles naa'th and south of Boston.

that run through your neck of the woods as well?

Unfortunately...

The artist formerly known as the king's highway runs through my neck of the woods (I think it was called that).

Yes, King's Highway. Right down the street from me.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2005, 05:11:46 PM »

carry on

I'll vouch for it sucking for several miles naa'th and south of Boston.

that run through your neck of the woods as well?

Unfortunately...

The artist formerly known as the king's highway runs through my neck of the woods (I think it was called that).

Yes, King's Highway. Right down the street from me.  Smiley

I forgot to add that it is now Frankford Avenue (Rt. 13)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2005, 09:55:31 PM »

I voted 3.

It depends on the situation, and the type of friendship.  There are certain friends that I debate politics with, and there are certain friends with whom I avoid the topic because we're too far apart and it becomes tiresome to argue.

I generally don't discuss politics with people I don't know well.  Believe it or not, there are some people who are too Republican for me, and I avoid political discussions with them.  I should clarify that - I think that they are either Republican for the wrong reason, or their views are shallow.  I'd rather have a friendly debate with somebody who disagrees with me to a degree than a discussion with somebody who ends up agreeing with me, but whose reasons I don't really respect.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2005, 09:14:30 AM »

I'd argue my case tooth-and-nail if politics ever came into the discussion, but it wouldn't get in the way of friendship - we'd agree to differ!

Three golden rules when I'm on the pish: no politics, no religion and no monarchy - 'tis better to have heated debates when you're sober!

Dave
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2005, 10:52:04 AM »

a wise and considered philosophy that might have saved many a friendship, I think.
Cashcow

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2005, 04:17:59 PM »

No, because I don't suck at life. That's the most eloquent way I can put it.

If you can't have friends who don't agree with you, you're a terrible person.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2005, 04:27:12 PM »

I generally don't talk about anything political unless specifically asked, and even then I usually just agree with the person I'm with.  I'm not much of a debater and generally don't like getting into arguments.

You sound like Daschle.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2005, 04:59:42 PM »

It depends on how well I know the person. The better I know them, the more willing I am to discuss politics. I enjoy debating, but I always try to ensure that it doesn't get personal.

I agree with the sentiment that if you can't be honest about your beliefs with someone, they must not be that good of a friend. Friends should respect each other's views even if they don't agree.
Cashcow

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2005, 05:02:02 PM »

On an almost unrelated note, political arguments have actually been a positive aspect to some of my relationships. I argue with liberals and conservatives constantly - I'm an asshole all around. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2005, 06:08:17 PM »

I generally don't talk about anything political unless specifically asked, and even then I usually just agree with the person I'm with.  I'm not much of a debater and generally don't like getting into arguments.

You sound like Daschle.

Hey, that hurts, man, right here. Sad

Wink
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2005, 06:22:43 PM »

I have friends that are Democrats. I never really talk politics with them. I'd choose NOTA and say I would speak up and try to maintain the friendship. IF I wanted to pursuade them I'd would throw questions out there. Like "Yeah, but don't you think what Saddam was doing to his own people was brutal?"
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2005, 08:35:30 PM »

Most of my friends here are Republicans, and sometimes we debate a bit (usually initiated by them), but never heatedly.  We just agree to disagree and move on.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2005, 05:04:21 PM »

It depends on how well I know the person. The better I know them, the more willing I am to discuss politics. I enjoy debating, but I always try to ensure that it doesn't get personal.

I agree with the sentiment that if you can't be honest about your beliefs with someone, they must not be that good of a friend. Friends should respect each other's views even if they don't agree.

One of my best friends who is a Republican has asked me to avoid it generally.  Funny though when I was talking to him, there is a lot of common ground due to local issues.  We both would have voted Torsella had he won the Dem nomination, but I went Schwartz and he went Brown.  Only differences are I have a little more of an affinity for unions and I'm pro-choice (what I know so far).  He's also going to law school to be a DA, judge, or an FBI agent.   
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies