Mexico votes to end 75-year state monopoly on oil
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:01:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Mexico votes to end 75-year state monopoly on oil
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mexico votes to end 75-year state monopoly on oil  (Read 3001 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 08:50:22 PM »

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 07:06:35 AM »

How is Pemex pronounced in Spanish? I've never been clear on that.

[ˈpemeks], apparently.

Yep. Nothing but the simple "ks" at the end. Same as Telmex, Cemex, etc., etc.

Right. Anyway, in some cases the "x" is pronounced in Spanish like the English /h/, for example Mexico and Texas. Some people write "Mejico" or "Tejas"; "Mexican" can be writen in Spanish "mexicano" or "mejicano" (the RAE dictionary accepts both forms).

So all they really did was make Pemex more like Petrobras? I don't get the outrage here

Matter of religion, pure and simple.

Do they think Lázaro Cárdenas is God? I cannot be impartial, he and his ambassador in France will be always guardian angels to me (the Spanish exiles, you know).

I have to say the moderate hero in me thinks this reform is pretty reasonable.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »

Was listening to a podcast that was reviewing the news in lucha libre (Mexican-style pro wrestling) at the time this occurred and the lucha libre expert commented casually on the riots going on in Mexico because foreign-owned gas stations were unbanned. The host thought this bizarre and asked for it to be elaborated on. The expert on lucha libre responded:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »

Right. Anyway, in some cases the "x" is pronounced in Spanish like the English /h/, for example Mexico and Texas. Some people write "Mejico" or "Tejas"; "Mexican" can be writen in Spanish "mexicano" or "mejicano" (the RAE dictionary accepts both forms).

Well, the "x" stands for the native sound similar to English "sh". That sound does not exist in Castilian Spanish, so at the time of the conquest they used the Portuguese convention (shared by modern Catalan, Galician and Basque as well) and wrote it with "x". Still, Spanish-speakers had no way of pronouncing it, so they replaced it with the "kh" sound, which they commonly transcribe as "j". This was pretty much over by the time of independence - the unpronounceable "x" was generally replaced by a "j" (as in Méjico).  But at independence they restored the "nationalist" spellings with "x" - hypercorrecting on occasion (there had never been any "x" in Tejas). The Méjico spelling is, at present, only used in Spain (and even there inconsistently). Restoring the spellings, though, did nothing to the fact that they were unpronounceable except by the speakers of native languages. In newly formed words, such as Pemex, Telmex, CEMEX, etc. they pronounce it as spelled: "ks".
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »

Was listening to a podcast that was reviewing the news in lucha libre (Mexican-style pro wrestling) at the time this occurred and the lucha libre expert commented casually on the riots going on in Mexico because foreign-owned gas stations were unbanned. The host thought this bizarre and asked for it to be elaborated on. The expert on lucha libre responded:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

There are no riots, just protest - sometimes a bit overexcited, but, then, this is normal here. They protest over everything and anything - so this is one more reason to protest.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 02:27:15 PM »

Do they think Lázaro Cárdenas is God?

Yes, they do Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies