Opinion of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:52:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
FO

HO

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS)  (Read 2312 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 09:03:12 PM »

I don't care for their views, but I think their activism helped define an important era (1967-1971ish). HO overall.

They didn't like women very much.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Where is this from?
I don't about SDS, but wasn't the leader of the Black Panther Movement a serial rapist who fled to Algeria before returning in the 1980s and converting to Mormonism and becoming a Reagan conservative Tongue.

One of the most badass men alive, yes.

Eldridge Cleaver died in 1998. Badass normally has positive connotations. Do you admire this piece of scum?

Advocated for civil rights, sexual freedom, limited government, and the doctrine of Jesus Christ. What's not to like?
Raping black women for practice before going on to rape and strangle white women as an act of "insurrection."

Just goes to show he didn't discriminate between races.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »

I'm pretty sure Cath is trolling you guys...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »

Thank you! The fact that some people persist in taking me seriously makes me continually lose faith in the forum. That said, with all my sarcasm is a tiny bit of seriousness (or vice versa).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »

Thank you! The fact that some people persist in taking me seriously makes me continually lose faith in the forum. That said, with all my sarcasm is a tiny bit of seriousness (or vice versa).

I generally never read his posts, so I wouldn't know. And the share of sexists on here is so high you never know if people are serious, semi-serious or just cynical when they say things like that.  The word badass is generally a trigger word for me - filled with admiration for jerks and scumbags. Also serial rape is no laughing matter - especially if you know rape victims personally, as I do.
But what the heck, it just remind me why I took a 5 month break from the forum - probably shouldn't have come back.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 10:34:51 PM »

I knew you were trolling, but for the first time and probably the last, I was still actually somewhat shocked by a joke (I thought a Stern fan like myself was incapable of that).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »

I knew you were trolling, but for the first time and probably the last, I was still actually somewhat shocked by a joke (I thought a Stern fan like myself was incapable of that).

The badassery was relegated to the Black Panther --> Reagan conservative thing. The best of both worlds. The rape-related information was new news that I nevertheless had to role with.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »

HO, and that's before I begin to think about what they thought about women's rights.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 11:21:12 PM »

HO, and that's before I begin to think about what they thought about women's rights.

>implying that you or any of the Republicans on this board care about women's rights

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 12:01:12 AM »

>implying that you or any of the Republicans on this board care about women's rights

TNF's right.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »

I think we have a different conception of what 'women's rights' actually means.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »

Again, just in case you missed it the first time:

Would you guys call Abraham Lincoln's Republican Party a "Horrible Organization" because a lot of the members thought the blacks should be moved to Africa?  Jesus Christ.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2013, 09:52:08 AM by Redalgo »

Would you guys call Abraham Lincoln's Republican Party a "Horrible Organization" because a lot of the members thought the blacks should be moved to Africa?  Jesus Christ.

No but I wouldn't call it a "Freedom Organization" either. This is a reasonable result of the options being so damned absolute in these polls. Most people and groups contain elements of greatness and awfulness alike. Posters at times shy from a "freedom" vote if it means implying something nice about something terrible, and yet in casting a "horrible" vote one tends to overlook some of the positive things about a bloke or organization.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »

Again, just in case you missed it the first time:

Would you guys call Abraham Lincoln's Republican Party a "Horrible Organization" because a lot of the members thought the blacks should be moved to Africa?  Jesus Christ.

Isn't it odd how liberals overlook the faults of liberal politicians (FDR interning the Japanese, Truman nuking Japan twice, JFK getting us involved in Vietnam, LBJ continuing mass slaughter in Vietnam for no reason, Carter doing nothing of value at all, Clinton signing NAFTA, welfare reform, etc) and liberal organizations (like the 1860s GOP, which wanted to deport blacks to Africa, as did Lincoln up until very late in the war) but fixate themselves on a sole failure of radical or conservative organizations? Or have a marked inability to judge historical figures by the standards of their own day?
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »

Aye, TNF, there are double-standards and such. Though a bit sympathetic to Carter on account of his intentions, I have yet to be convinced that any of our other U.S. Presidents were clearly FFs in a way nothing nauseatingly horrible could detract from. I dislike judging people by contemporary standards though. It makes it too easy to romanticize and laud people who thought and often did terrible things. There is a difference between thinking poorly of a historical figure and thinking their contributions to society did no good.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies