Papua New Guinea's speaker destroys 'pagan' carvings.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:33:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Papua New Guinea's speaker destroys 'pagan' carvings.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Papua New Guinea's speaker destroys 'pagan' carvings.  (Read 1857 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 03:06:33 PM »
« edited: January 09, 2014, 04:32:34 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

It's about time someone got to 'em.

This essentially sums up my view on thid. Christianity would have found it hard to progress and obtain it's dominant position (in terms of the faith held by the majority of people in the western world, at least until the 20th century) without isolating and/or crushing rival systems of 'belief'. As to the comment that this form of Christianity is intellectually and philosophically lazy, well, all I can say is that not everybody has the intelligence and is well-versed enough in philosophy to understand the deeper points of Christianity (I certainly don't). Does that mean it should simply fester on the irrelevent fringe of those capable of understanding the religion in it's entirety? No, and if some purity of thought is sacrificed in the process of getting the basic message across, then, frankly, the end justifies the means.

I really, really don't think that this sort of behavior is, at least at this point in history, at all necessary to 'obtain[ing] a dominant position' or 'getting the basic message across', and am unconvinced that it ever was. I'm also unconvinced that an earnest desire to propagate the Faith is really your main motivation for holding this position.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 03:53:32 PM »

I would be outraged too -even if you aren't a pagan, these are still part of your cultural heritage. 

Then I approve of this action strongly.

(Hyperbole. Actually no. But seriously, "cultural heritage" is turning into something I'm growing disgusted by.)

Instead of looking at this sort of thing that-a-way, look at it from the nostalgia/decline aspect:  Isn't any old building, Faberge egg, or shrunken head worth more than a Modern Man?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »

This essentially sums up my view on thid. Christianity would have found it hard to progress and obtain it's dominant position (in terms of the faith held by the majority of people in the western world, at least until the 20th century) without isolating and/or crushing rival systems of 'belief'. As to the comment that this form of Christianity is intellectually and philosophically lazy, well, all I can say is that not everybody has the intelligence and is well-versed enough in philosophy to understand the deeper points of Christianity (I certainly don't). Does that mean it should simply fester on the irrelevent fringe of those capable of understanding the religion in it's entirety? No, and if some purity of thought is sacrificed in the process of getting the basic message across, then, frankly, the end justifies the means.

Given you're openly intolerant of other views and religions, this is not at all surprising coming from you, but it really shows how low you reactionary types are willing to go to 'evangelize' people.  Christ never said we should destroy the relics of old religions to make him known, and as Nathan said it really isn't necessary.

You'd make a good white supremacist, you know that?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 11:26:58 PM »

Given you're openly intolerant of other views and religions, this is not at all surprising coming from you, but it really shows how low you reactionary types are willing to go to 'evangelize' people.  Christ never said we should destroy the relics of old religions to make him known, and as Nathan said it really isn't necessary.

You'd make a good white supremacist, you know that?

I think he already does.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies