SENATE BILL: Let The Regions Get Their Highway Money Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:52:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Let The Regions Get Their Highway Money Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Let The Regions Get Their Highway Money Act (Law'd)  (Read 4772 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2014, 11:28:40 PM »

Changing my vote to AYE.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2014, 11:29:53 PM »

In looking at a redraft, what kind of things are we considering? My ultimate goal is to make sure these regions get their money. I love tossing dollars, you know.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2014, 01:52:00 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That really works for both, no?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2014, 06:45:39 PM »

I am changing my vote to Aye as well, and look forward to the redraft

VP, you can call 24 hours on vote changes now.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2014, 06:46:24 PM »

This bill has enough votes to pass, Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2014, 07:05:49 PM »

Are we still looking at a redraft here, or have we decided that this is good as is?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2014, 07:27:21 PM »

Are we still looking at a redraft here, or have we decided that this is good as is?
I believe it was amending it to allow the regions to be able to legislate on this, instead of simply giving us the money.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 05:52:53 PM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Let The Regions Get Their Highway Money Act:

Aye (Cool: bore, Goldwater, NC Yankee, shua, Talleyrand, Tmthforu94, TNF, and TyriontheImperialist
Nay (2): Mr. X and Spiral
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

This vote has an hour left.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Let The Regions Get Their Highway Money Act:

Aye (Cool: bore, Goldwater, NC Yankee, shua, Talleyrand, Tmthforu94, TNF, and TyriontheImperialist
Nay (2): Mr. X and Spiral
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

With time having expired and eight votes in the affirmative, the bill has been passed and is presented to the President for executive action.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 06:51:29 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

2. F.L. 36-11: The You Can't Beat a DUI by Ducking the Breath Test Bill is amended to read:

[/quote]

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »

Duke you had planned to offer a redraft here, as I recall? You have just four days left I think to do so.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »

<returns from the grave>

As author of the original acts I can explain their rationale easily: A universal .08 BAC level and outlawing refusal of chemical testing under implied consent after an arres t supported by probable cause are both invaluable towards protection of public health. It has been unquestionably proven withou rebuttal by dozens of scientific studies is that lower bac levels and mandatory sentencing decreases drunk driving accidents and thereby saves thousands of adults and children from death or life in a wheelchair. A .10 BAC according to any reputable forensic toxicologist will state, to a reasonable degree of scientific certainty, is appriciably impaired to drive.

The cutoff of a portion of highway for not adopting such provisions is reasonable, and in RL reality and constitutional. In Atlasia multiple regions did in fact soon after change their statutes to comply. I don't know if all of them did, but if not that should be the job of the GM to factor into their budget. That said, I'm not sure anyone has stated a coherent reason behind repealing this act: I think the only percievd lack of compliance with this bill is that most (possibly all) regions did soyeears ago when the bill initially passed! Again, if not, then that's the job of the GM to address in regional revenue projections.

I sincerely hope Senator Tmthfou and the President will strongly consider these factors for their proposed redraft, though I also humbly suggest this law falls under the category of 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it". Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »

I plan to redraft. I am going to take into account what Badger said before I put anything out.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »

<returns from the grave>

As author of the original acts I can explain their rationale easily: A universal .08 BAC level and outlawing refusal of chemical testing under implied consent after an arres t supported by probable cause are both invaluable towards protection of public health. It has been unquestionably proven withou rebuttal by dozens of scientific studies is that lower bac levels and mandatory sentencing decreases drunk driving accidents and thereby saves thousands of adults and children from death or life in a wheelchair. A .10 BAC according to any reputable forensic toxicologist will state, to a reasonable degree of scientific certainty, is appriciably impaired to drive.

The cutoff of a portion of highway for not adopting such provisions is reasonable, and in RL reality and constitutional. In Atlasia multiple regions did in fact soon after change their statutes to comply. I don't know if all of them did, but if not that should be the job of the GM to factor into their budget. That said, I'm not sure anyone has stated a coherent reason behind repealing this act: I think the only percievd lack of compliance with this bill is that most (possibly all) regions did soyeears ago when the bill initially passed! Again, if not, then that's the job of the GM to address in regional revenue projections.

I sincerely hope Senator Tmthfou and the President will strongly consider these factors for their proposed redraft, though I also humbly suggest this law falls under the category of 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it". Wink
There is nothing in the Pacific Statute referring to the legislation mandated by these bills.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 03:04:08 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

2. F.L. 36-11: The You Can't Beat a DUI by Ducking the Breath Test Bill is amended to read:

[/quote]

I think this is a fair redraft. Badger is correct when he says the aim of this bill is for the good of the public. I am temporarily going to give all the regions a reprieve for 6 months and restore all their funds upon passage of this bill and legislate that they pass the standards in it by July. If they fail to do so, they will lose 10% each year they fail to comply with it.

I also added a provision where they will receive the funds pro-rata if they pass it mid-year or later instead of losing all of them at once.

Driving drunk isn't a right, and there are ramifications for everyone, not just the driver.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »

This bill is useless. We don't account for federal funds in the Northeast budget. In fact, the Northeast buget has zero federal funds in it.  I didn't even know we had the opportunity to use federal funds for our highways.

So, how can the "punishment" clause of this bill work...if the regions aren't accepting the money to begin with?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »

This bill is useless. We don't account for federal funds in the Northeast budget. In fact, the Northeast buget has zero federal funds in it.  I didn't even know we had the opportunity to use federal funds for our highways.

So, how can the "punishment" clause of this bill work...if the regions aren't accepting the money to begin with?

I don't know anything about regional budgets. I haven't been a governor in 6 years. I am merely crafting this bill into an acceptable one. Don't shoot the messenger. Tongue
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »

I don't know anything about regional budgets. I haven't been a governor in 6 years. I am merely crafting this bill into an acceptable one. Don't shoot the messenger. Tongue

Its not you, its the fact that the Senate tells the regional executives nothing. The Senate only tells the regional executives something when they need us to do something -- like open a voting booth for amendments. And even that is done in the most lazy way possible (ATTN: REGIONAL EXECUTIVES THREAD, no offense NC Yankee, but you could PM us...just sayin...)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »

Its not you, its the fact that the Senate tells the regional executives nothing. The Senate only tells the regional executives something when they need us to do something -- like open a voting booth for amendments. And even that is done in the most lazy way possible (ATTN: REGIONAL EXECUTIVES THREAD, no offense NC Yankee, but you could PM us...just sayin...)

One of the things I did back in my senate days was to visit the IDS legislature if there was something they needed to know about. I get your point.

I think a goal that we all want to see is an increased communication between regions and the feds. In theory, the regionally elected senator should be that guy, but in practice and theory don't always go hand in hand...
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 04:30:49 PM »

One of the things I did back in my senate days was to visit the IDS legislature if there was something they needed to know about. I get your point.

I think a goal that we all want to see is an increased communication between regions and the feds. In theory, the regionally elected senator should be that guy, but in practice and theory don't always go hand in hand...

I encourage Senators to vote against this bill. This bill has no teeth -- the enforcement mechanism in this bill is defunct from the start. No one wants drunk drivers, and no one wants a shoddy bill.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »

The same issue applies to my own region. Except for specific allocations approved by the Senate over the years, we budget no federal funds. I'll also point out that I have been active in regional affairs since 2009 and I never heard of either of these bills until now.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2014, 08:12:22 PM »

It is the responsbility of the Region's Senator to keep his executive and regional officials informed as well as to be apprised of stuff in the region so as to bring those concerns to the Senate. I am working on establishing regular communications with Emperor PiT to ensure things like this aren't neglected with regards to our Region. We have said this millions of times but it never happens in other regions and then you guys come back with these resolutions and now outright complaints seeking to place the responsibility on the PPT.

The rules prohibit an Amendment's slot from being used for something else, even after passage, unless some form of notification is done. That is why those threads have been created. Beginning with Dereich I have PMed thE emperor about them as well and made recommendations on how best to inform the citizens of the IDS. I do this as the IDS Regional Senator, not as PPT though.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »

I need sponsor feedback on the Presidential Redraft.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2014, 04:02:18 AM »

I'd like a final vote on the redraft to send it back to the President. I don't think we need to deliberate any longer.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2014, 04:03:04 AM »

I encourage Senators to vote against this bill. This bill has no teeth -- the enforcement mechanism in this bill is defunct from the start. No one wants drunk drivers, and no one wants a shoddy bill.

This isn't a bill, but an amendment to a bill with less teeth than the one currently being debated.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies