Minn.'s Gov. Pawlenty creating 2008 GOP buzz.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Minn.'s Gov. Pawlenty creating 2008 GOP buzz.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minn.'s Gov. Pawlenty creating 2008 GOP buzz.  (Read 2694 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2005, 12:14:16 AM »

Although Pawlenty's national name recognition "probably doesn't exceed" 5 percent," the Minneapolis Star-Tribune said recent conversations among national GOP leaders include him alongside former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani; U.S. Sen.John McCain, R-Ariz.;; former House Speaker Newt Gingrich; and other first tier potential candidates for the Republican nomination.

"Of the guys in the top 12 for '08, (Pawlenty's) right up there," said conservative leader Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform.

http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action=fullnews&id=85769
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 12:15:06 AM »

Hopefully we'll just get rid of him next year. What a dipsh**t.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 12:17:23 AM »

Is he really that bad?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 12:21:40 AM »

Is he really that bad?

he's a stupid jerkoff who's owned by far right groups like the Minnesota Taxpayers Leage and thinks it's more imporant to ban gay marriage than fix the state's budget problems.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 12:24:16 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2005, 12:27:06 AM by Nation of Ulysses »

I just made a map of Pawlenty's victory in 2002, but I can't post it. Sad  It surprised me how well Penny (Jesse Ventura's candidate) did- he carried a sizable batch of counties in the southeast and ran second in a number of others.

As to the topic at hand, Pawlenty is a complete joke. He won't get nominated. He won't even be a possible VP.

Dave already has one up:

Penny did so wel lbecause the Indpeendnece Party is pretty big here (or was at the time, they've been collapsing lately) and he was a former congressman from the district I live in and very popular. I still voted for the Democrat though, but all those counties he won or came in second in are because they were in his old seat.

He probably cost the Democrat the election though, going by the figures compared to the Senate race then and the Gore/Kerry numbers I'd guess his voters would've broke 2:1 for Moe without him.

For the record, I live in that big very light blue county on the upper left corner of the green, right at the nexus with the upside down triangle county (which is where I work) and the one to the right of it. Even though Pawlenty won the county with Moe coming in third and Penny in second, Pawlenty came in 3rd in my precinct with Moe winning it. We have much more sense than the rest of the county. Smiley
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 12:29:08 AM »

Where does Dave have the state election maps? Huh I don't see any. I'm guessing it's only for paying members?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 12:35:50 AM »

Nope, just look on the front page at the bottom. Gubernatorial results here: https://uselectionatlas.org/GOVERNOR/frametextj.html
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 12:37:24 AM »

I had no idea. Thanks for telling me Smiley
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 09:20:33 AM »

my opinion of pawlenty went way down when he proposed to ban candy flavored cigarettes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 12:10:31 PM »

You should've already been pissed at him when he tried to reinstate the death penalty.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 12:34:23 PM »

You should've already been pissed at him when he tried to reinstate the death penalty.

of course i strongly disagree with the death penalty.  but at least death penalty supporters can make a solid case for its usage (though i disagree with them).

banning flavored cigarettes makes no sense.  adults should be able to purchase those kinds of cigarettes if they so choose.
jacob_101

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 02:13:40 PM »

Well, I for one am very happy with Gov. Pawlenty.  There was already a huge deficit when he took office and he has been bringing it down by contolling state spending and increasing fees.  I am not sure i agree with him on the candy cigarette issue, but I know that marketing cigarettes to kids is not a good idea especially since you won't be able to smoke anywhere in the state soon : ) 

I predict Pawlenty will win re-election with about 53% of the vote and then will be in good shape if he wanted to run for President.

ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 02:45:49 PM »

What are his approval ratings.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 03:00:43 PM »

my opinion of pawlenty went way down when he proposed to ban candy flavored cigarettes.

Ditto. However, I'd still vote for him over a Democratic opponent in 2006 if I lived in Minnesota.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 04:26:23 PM »

I voted for him in 2002.  And probably would have voted for him in 2006 again if I remained in MN, but I can think of several in the GOP that I would rather see win the nomination.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 04:38:13 PM »

Penny did so wel lbecause the Indpeendnece Party is pretty big here (or was at the time, they've been collapsing lately) and he was a former congressman from the district I live in and very popular. I still voted for the Democrat though, but all those counties he won or came in second in are because they were in his old seat.

He probably cost the Democrat the election though, going by the figures compared to the Senate race then and the Gore/Kerry numbers I'd guess his voters would've broke 2:1 for Moe without him.

For the record, I live in that big very light blue county on the upper left corner of the green, right at the nexus with the upside down triangle county (which is where I work) and the one to the right of it. Even though Pawlenty won the county with Moe coming in third and Penny in second, Pawlenty came in 3rd in my precinct with Moe winning it. We have much more sense than the rest of the county. Smiley

Mankato?  I don't know if I agree with your analysis that Moe would have won.  Most of the people in those SE counties are conservatives that would vote for a Dem like Penny but not for one like Moe.  Don't think the 2-1 analysis would work in that situation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005, 10:37:44 PM »

Mankato?  I don't know if I agree with your analysis that Moe would have won.  Most of the people in those SE counties are conservatives that would vote for a Dem like Penny but not for one like Moe.  Don't think the 2-1 analysis would work in that situation.

Yes, I live in Mankato.

Look at Rice county:

Mondale 52.21%
Coleman 44.59%

Luther 54.64%
Kline 42.12%

Pawlenty 37.62%
Moe 33.78%
Penny 24.34%

and go look at the results for Gore and Kerry there.

And of course there's also the fact that Pawlenty did win Mankato, and in 2 way races Republicans simply don't win here.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 01:37:41 AM »

Still only one county.  Who knows, maybe Moe would have won, I just don't buy this Penny vote breaking 2 to 1 for Moe.  A lot of those people would have stayed home in the off-year and a lot of them may have voted for Pawlenty.
Bob Dole '96
mpirner
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 09:06:42 PM »

I dont think Pawlenty can win, although his name does interest me some.  I think Jeb is our only real realistic shot at winning and beating Hillary.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 09:49:26 PM »

I hope Pawlenty gets reelected. I think he's a fine Governor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies