Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:50:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 64
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins  (Read 160090 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: May 19, 2014, 03:44:25 PM »

Can't believe I missed that one Tongue

Also, West Nova & Central Nova are stupid riding names.

Yes, they are. What would you call them?

I'd combine them into one riding named Super Nova. Grin
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #576 on: May 19, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2014, 09:42:12 PM by Citizen Hats »

Annapolis Valley-Yarmouth and East Shore-Pictou
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #577 on: May 19, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »

Annapolis Valley-Yarmouth and East Shore-Pictou

West Nova is easy: Yarmouth-Digby-Annapolis. Covers the three main counties that make up 90% of the riding.

Central Nova is a bit tougher since it's an awkward riding. Maybe Pictou-Eastern Shore or Pictou-Antigonish-Eastern Shore. The 2nd one is more accurate but it sounds funny Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #578 on: May 19, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »

What about Yarmouth-Digby-Annapolis Valley ?

I would also go with Pictou-Antigonish-Eastern Shore for Central Nova.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #579 on: May 19, 2014, 09:43:25 PM »

I would also go with Pictou-Antigonish-Eastern Shore for Central Nova.

Antigonish is just such a damndably long string of long syllables when properly pronounced
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #580 on: May 20, 2014, 06:58:27 AM »

Yeah that would work. It would also cover the chunk of Kings county that's in the riding without adding another place to the riding name. What are some other terribly named ridings? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is New Brunswick Southwest, but I'm sure there are others... Maybe some of the Alberta ridings? There's no way that "Manning" is an actual neighbourhood in Edmonton Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #581 on: May 20, 2014, 07:01:41 AM »

British Columbia Southern Interior.

Any riding named after a person.

Names with more than three places in its title.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #582 on: May 20, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »

For NB SW, I would suggest: Charlotte-Saint John Valley
For BC SI: Kootenay-Okanagan or Kootenay-Similkameen or Kootenay-Boundary-Okanagan/Similkameen
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #583 on: May 20, 2014, 12:54:46 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2014, 01:01:34 PM by Citizen Hats »

For NB SW, I would suggest: Charlotte-Saint John Valley
For BC SI: Kootenay-Okanagan or Kootenay-Similkameen or Kootenay-Boundary-Okanagan/Similkameen

Thankfully, BCSI riding is gone, replaced with the more sensibly shaped ridings of 'South Okanagan-West Kootenay'  and 'Central Okanagan-Similkameen-Nicola'  

Both of which are horrible names.  I think a name that contains more than four-five words should be struck, along with pointless directionals. SOWK could be replaced with Okanagan-Kootenay.  COSN could easily be Okanagan-Similkameen-Nicola or Okanagan-Merritt-Keremeos or Boundary Okanagan or whatever.

as for the old riding, I feel 'Kootenay-Keremeos' would have been an artful name

Of course, the BC Commission was fond of ensuring that everyone knew at a glance what particular part of some area was attached to another area, thus we end up with Vancouver Island North-Comox-Powell River and Burnaby North-Seymour. I would rename so many of them

Also, thoughts on 'Vancouver Quadra'? It's been named that for decades, but Quadra isn't a neighborhood. Quadra is an island north of here, and was a Spanish explorer. Despite my dislike of ridings-from-people, I do feel that Quadra has been Quadra for so long that it has become part of the Geography
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #584 on: May 20, 2014, 01:21:27 PM »

For Quadra: Why not Quilchena-Point Grey? (for the provincial ridings)
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #585 on: May 20, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »

For Quadra: Why not Quilchena-Point Grey? (for the provincial ridings)

Especially after redistribution that would make some sense. Thing is that, while I don't mind the just-pick-a-name approach, 'Quilchena' isn't actually the name of anything other than a mid sized park and a smallish street and a small town in the Interior. 

Vancouver-West would be the most logical name if not for the existence of the municipality of West Vancouver.  Perhaps Vancouver-University? It might even be polite to make it Vancouver-Musquem or something like that
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #586 on: May 20, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2014, 02:33:10 PM by Hatman »

I hate appending "University" to riding names. But you're right about Quilchena. I couldn't find much referring to the area as that.

This may be getting too long for you, but what about "Vancouver West End--Point Grey"?

ETA: Actually, "Vancouver-Point Grey" might be inclusive enough, since there are areas in the south of the riding called Point Grey as well.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #587 on: May 20, 2014, 03:00:12 PM »

I'm kind of curious what they'll do in in Calgary next redistribution. It's big enough that they could start using riding names other than Calgary_______ but the city grew so fast, there aren't really any alternative place names to use. There's no equivalent to Etobicoke or Scarborough for Calgary is there?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #588 on: May 20, 2014, 04:02:24 PM »

I'm kind of curious what they'll do in in Calgary next redistribution. It's big enough that they could start using riding names other than Calgary_______ but the city grew so fast, there aren't really any alternative place names to use. There's no equivalent to Etobicoke or Scarborough for Calgary is there?

Not really, no. It's incredibly difficult to name ridings in Calgary, because the city isn't really divided into large regions with a unique names (even Edmonton as Mill Woods). Rather, the city is divided up into hundreds of small little neighbourhoods.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #589 on: May 20, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »

Not really, no. It's incredibly difficult to name ridings in Calgary, because the city isn't really divided into large regions with a unique names (even Edmonton as Mill Woods). Rather, the city is divided up into hundreds of small little neighbourhoods.

Can they just divide into "North Calgary" and "South Calgary" or something?
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #590 on: May 20, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »

I hate appending "University" to riding names. But you're right about Quilchena. I couldn't find much referring to the area as that.

This may be getting too long for you, but what about "Vancouver West End--Point Grey"?

ETA: Actually, "Vancouver-Point Grey" might be inclusive enough, since there are areas in the south of the riding called Point Grey as well.

Cardinal-Direction geography is tricky in Vancouver, and any name including a cardinal direction is probably in no way a symmetrical concept with a similar name including a different cardinal direction.  'The West End' refers to the portion of the downtown peninsula NW of Burrard St. and SW of Georgia St, which is part of Vancouver-Centre.

Point Grey refers to two things- the headland on which UBC sits (a term which is not frequently encountered for lack of need to use it), and the rather tony neighborhood between Blanca St, 16th Avenue, and Alma St. This neighborhood is quite small compared to Vancouver Point Grey, and smaller still next to Vancouver Quadra, though the headland does itself make a good name. 

What's wrong with -University?
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #591 on: May 20, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »

Can they just divide into "North Calgary" and "South Calgary" or something?

There are ten constituencies within Calgary city limits
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #592 on: May 20, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »

Cardinal-Direction geography is tricky in Vancouver, and any name including a cardinal direction is probably in no way a symmetrical concept with a similar name including a different cardinal direction.  'The West End' refers to the portion of the downtown peninsula NW of Burrard St. and SW of Georgia St, which is part of Vancouver-Centre.

Point Grey refers to two things- the headland on which UBC sits (a term which is not frequently encountered for lack of need to use it), and the rather tony neighborhood between Blanca St, 16th Avenue, and Alma St. This neighborhood is quite small compared to Vancouver Point Grey, and smaller still next to Vancouver Quadra, though the headland does itself make a good name. 

Every major city in Canada has a university, there is nothing unique about using it in a riding name.

As for Point Grey, there is a golf course in the southern part of Vancouver Quadra named Point Grey, which is why I thought it would be a good name.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #593 on: May 20, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »

Every major city in Canada has a university, there is nothing unique about using it in a riding name.

I think it would be ok if the riding used a specific university name that wasn't just a place name. i.e. Toronto-Ryerson would be ok but Toronto-UofT would not.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #594 on: May 20, 2014, 08:20:36 PM »

I think it would be ok if the riding used a specific university name that wasn't just a place name. i.e. Toronto-Ryerson would be ok but Toronto-UofT would not.

Maybe, also having the name "University Heights" for York West would be acceptable.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #595 on: May 21, 2014, 12:17:58 AM »

As for Point Grey, there is a golf course in the southern part of Vancouver Quadra named Point Grey, which is why I thought it would be a good name.

Every major city in Canada has a north end or a west end, and University seems more interesting than that. 

And true, there is the Point Grey golf course. I used to live near there, over on the Musquem Reserve. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #596 on: May 21, 2014, 06:06:29 PM »

Hebert: revert to much stricter early voting.

Ibbitson: Trudeau doesn't understand the realities of modern foreign policy.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #597 on: May 21, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »

Ibbitson's article could be summarized as 'I'm going to pretend that Justin Trudeau is actually 1988 vintage John Turner'
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #598 on: May 21, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »

John Turner used the terms "imperialist" and "colonial" when discussing foreign policy? News to me. Nah, what Ibbitson's saying is that Trudeau's embodying Laurentia.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #599 on: May 21, 2014, 07:54:42 PM »

Nanos tracker: 56% would consider voting Grit, 45% NDP, 44% Tory. PPM is Harper 31, Trudeau 27, Mulcair 19.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies