Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:08:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 64
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins  (Read 159533 times)
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: May 21, 2014, 11:59:25 PM »

Ah, the Nanos incomparable voodoo-poll
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #601 on: May 22, 2014, 07:36:27 AM »

5 bills left this sitting.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #602 on: May 22, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »

ONB Tory nomination continues to be a clusterfark.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #603 on: May 23, 2014, 03:44:41 PM »

The NS Liberals are liberalizing NS's outdated apprenticeship rules. Good for them.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #604 on: May 24, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »

Yeah, JT's a very polarizing figure among Francophones - though his entourage probably isn't a huge reason why. Money quote from Lapierre: "My impression is that the issue in Quebec will be the economy [in the 2015 election], and the name Justin Trudeau and the economy don’t exactly go hand in hand. All he does is say ‘middle class’ 100 times in his speeches.”

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #605 on: May 24, 2014, 10:27:56 PM »

Knowlton Nash died today at 86. RIP. Sad
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #606 on: May 26, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »

Gerald Keddy is retiring next year.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #607 on: May 26, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »

Interestingly, Keddy only broke 40% of the vote in one of his 6 election victories (2011).

Probably going to lose that one in 2015, but the riding  has a long history of the NDP & Liberals splitting the progressive vote, so maybe there's an outside chance at the Tories keeping it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #608 on: May 26, 2014, 10:13:18 PM »

McKay none too thrilled with Trudeau's abortion edict.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #609 on: May 28, 2014, 09:35:22 AM »

Romeo Dallaire is resigning from the Senate. He'll tell his caucus within the hour.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #610 on: May 28, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »

Rightfully so; Trudeau is a moron for saying what he did. I want to know his logic as to how it will help win over Tory-Liberal swing voters or help win back seats in Scarborough.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #611 on: May 28, 2014, 12:34:53 PM »

Rightfully so; Trudeau is a moron for saying what he did. I want to know his logic as to how it will help win over Tory-Liberal swing voters or help win back seats in Scarborough.

He has principles instead of saying whatever could get him elected.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #612 on: May 28, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »

The Liberal Party has always welcomed pluralism on social issues, so good for him if he wants to stick to his principles but trying to impose it on all the Liberal Party itself by banning people with social views different to his as standing as a candidate is absurd. He seems completely cavalier to the entire principle of Liberalism, and it's going to hurt his party. This won't affect your vote, but it will affect many others.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #613 on: May 28, 2014, 01:06:24 PM »

The Liberal Party has always welcomed pluralism on social issues, so good for him if he wants to stick to his principles but trying to impose it on all the Liberal Party itself by banning people with social views different to his as standing as a candidate is absurd. He seems completely cavalier to the entire principle of Liberalism, and it's going to hurt his party. This won't affect your vote, but it will affect many others.

But that may allow him to gain other votes. I know people who will refuse to consider voting Liberal until they got rid of pro-life and anti-gay-marriage MPs.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #614 on: May 28, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »

But that may allow him to gain other votes. I know people who will refuse to consider voting Liberal until they got rid of pro-life and anti-gay-marriage MPs.

His ruling does not get rid of sitting social conservatives, thankfully, so those people you know have some time to wait.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #615 on: May 28, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »

His ruling does not get rid of sitting social conservatives, thankfully, so those people you know have some time to wait.

But most voters ignore those details.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #616 on: May 28, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »

I'm absolutely confident that abortion will be the top priority for swing voters hesitating between the Tories and Grits.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #617 on: May 28, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »

I'm absolutely confident that abortion will be the top priority for swing voters hesitating between the Tories and Grits.

You know that's not what I'm saying, but it certainly sends the wrong message out to swing voters and socially conservative Liberal voters, and voters in regions like Scarborough which the Libs have to win. And now it's created a mini scandal which the media are picking up on, whereas if Trudeau had just been a tad wiser to keep his principles to himself and not been selfish enough to unilaterally decide what makes one a Liberal, this wouldn't have happened.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #618 on: May 28, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »

You know that's not what I'm saying, but it certainly sends the wrong message out to swing voters and socially conservative Liberal voters, and voters in regions like Scarborough which the Libs have to win. And now it's created a mini scandal which the media are picking up on, whereas if Trudeau had just been a tad wiser to keep his principles to himself and not been selfish enough to unilaterally decide what makes one a Liberal, this wouldn't have happened.

The Liberal Party membership voted to make social LIBERALISM a point of party policy at the 2012 convention. Trudeau is requiring caucus members to agree to accept the whip on party policy, like literally every parliamentary party ever.  The media narrative is wrong, and misleading
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #619 on: May 28, 2014, 06:03:50 PM »

On another subject.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #620 on: May 29, 2014, 07:39:18 AM »

Feds negotiating a new internal trade agreement.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #621 on: May 30, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »

Scott Armstrong is running again.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #622 on: May 30, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »

Now if only we could get Neil to walk again.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #623 on: May 31, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »

And lets Lance provide the drugs - then you would have a party.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #624 on: June 02, 2014, 10:40:27 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2014, 10:53:26 PM by RogueBeaver »

NDP is mighty pissed about potentially having to repay the House for those mailings.

And Cheryl Gallant is mighty silly for leaving her briefing binder at the Ottawa airport... later retrieved by Sheila Copps.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies