Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:31:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins  (Read 161918 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« on: July 20, 2014, 12:53:46 AM »

Looks like the Liberals under Trudeau are putting together a pretty strong team of high profile municipal and provincial politicians moving "up" - Adam Vaughan in Toronto, Cote St. Luc mayor Anthony Housefather in Montreal and now Kent Hehr in Calgary. 

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »

I think she will.  As poorly executed as the last campaign was - and really there's no excuse for sacrificing 3 Toronto MPPs - nobody is waiting in the wings and Andrea Horwath's rhetorical shift to the left is probably enough.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 06:51:47 PM »

Great article by David Akin: http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/david-akin-in-defence-of-sun-news/

Sad to see him without a job. Really surprised to see that Jack Layton approached him to be a candidate!

I despised Sun News and I certainly opposed their campaign for mandatory carriage.  As someone who is involved with the Roma refugee issue, it's hard for me to have a "neutral" opinion on Sun after Levant's appalling racist rant. 

But reading this, I do feel bad for Akin who is a very competent reporter and not at all a right-wing ideologue.  Unfortunately it was a hatemonger like Levant who was supposed to draw in the viewers, and it's not like Lilley or Coren were much better.  When you have Levant as your frontman, it greatly overshadows whatever was "good" about Sun News.

I wish Akin the best in finding new work.  Given his business reporting background, it would be nice to see him replace Amanda Lang.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »

What I also find amusing is hearing Sun News supporters blaming "the left" (or Liberal bureaucrats at the CRTC or whatever) for the failure of Sun News.  It was available to 5 million households and had a viewership of 8,000.  Obviously Conservatives weren't watching it either. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »

Rick Nicholls and leadership candidate Monte McNaughton come out of Ontario's Bible belt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies