Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:36:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins  (Read 161287 times)
Hifly
hifly15

« on: May 28, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »

Rightfully so; Trudeau is a moron for saying what he did. I want to know his logic as to how it will help win over Tory-Liberal swing voters or help win back seats in Scarborough.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »

Rightfully so; Trudeau is a moron for saying what he did. I want to know his logic as to how it will help win over Tory-Liberal swing voters or help win back seats in Scarborough.

He has principles instead of saying whatever could get him elected.

The Liberal Party has always welcomed pluralism on social issues, so good for him if he wants to stick to his principles but trying to impose it on all the Liberal Party itself by banning people with social views different to his as standing as a candidate is absurd. He seems completely cavalier to the entire principle of Liberalism, and it's going to hurt his party. This won't affect your vote, but it will affect many others.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »

He has principles instead of saying whatever could get him elected.

The Liberal Party has always welcomed pluralism on social issues, so good for him if he wants to stick to his principles but trying to impose it on all the Liberal Party itself by banning people with social views different to his as standing as a candidate is absurd. He seems completely cavalier to the entire principle of Liberalism, and it's going to hurt his party. This won't affect your vote, but it will affect many others.

But that may allow him to gain other votes. I know people who will refuse to consider voting Liberal until they got rid of pro-life and anti-gay-marriage MPs.

His ruling does not get rid of sitting social conservatives, thankfully, so those people you know have some time to wait.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »

I'm absolutely confident that abortion will be the top priority for swing voters hesitating between the Tories and Grits.

You know that's not what I'm saying, but it certainly sends the wrong message out to swing voters and socially conservative Liberal voters, and voters in regions like Scarborough which the Libs have to win. And now it's created a mini scandal which the media are picking up on, whereas if Trudeau had just been a tad wiser to keep his principles to himself and not been selfish enough to unilaterally decide what makes one a Liberal, this wouldn't have happened.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies