True Detective [HBO]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 03:05:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  True Detective [HBO]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: True Detective [HBO]  (Read 1883 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2014, 08:46:35 PM »

Is anyone else looking forward to this or super-intrigued? It's HBO's new show that's debuting next week staring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey (epic combination) about two detectives' twenty year search for as serial killer in Louisiana. The series is mostly told through flashbacks, as far as I can gather.

HBO is doing something a little different with the show. Every season is going to be a different storyline with different characters in different locations, which I assume is the only way they would be able to get Harrelson and McConaughey.

HBO site
Wikipedia page

I do admit there's some risk of them going "grimdark" with their talking of "being a bad man" and "entering the darkness" or whatever but it looks very well done (in contrast to something like Low Winter Sun).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:48:14 PM »

God I hope it's good. Everything McConaughey has done in the past few years has been gold, so I have high hopes.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »

God I hope it's good. Everything McConaughey has done in the past few years has been gold, so I have high hopes.

I mean his name is Rust Cohle in it so...
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:13:57 AM »

I've heard from the television critics I follow on Twitter that it is very good, but I probably won't check it out until a few episodes have aired.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »

Andy Greenwald, one of my favorite critics, didn't like it too much but I'm still holding out hope...
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »

Checked it out last night. Thought it was pretty good and compelling. Very well made and looks great. I just hope it doesn't take some predictable path towards who the killer is.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:14 AM »

I might check this out. Maybe it will be like The Killing except not one of the worst things ever.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »

Some of the dialogue can be a bit heavy handed but I thoroughly enjoyed it, none the less.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »

I'm pi-- uh legally purcashing the first episode as we speak. From the trailer I'm hopeful it will tie into the 80s/early 90s Satanism hysteria thing which is one my favourite bizarre moral panics.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »

Oops - I made a thread about this too. I'll delete it.

Anyway, I haven't watched the first episode but it seems like everyone thought it was excellent.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 11:50:23 PM »

Yes I was very disappointed by The Killing. I stuck through an entire first season of that sh**t. Part of why I want to wait for a few episodes/reviews before I spend time watching this.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 04:40:22 AM »

I watched the first episode on Mr. Kemp's recommendation. I enjoyed it a lot and I'm definitely along for the ride unless it takes some kind of awful turn in quality which isn't out of the question. Obviously anything with satanic ritual murders is going to be must-watch TV.

Harrelson and McConaughey are pretty well cast although I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that McConaughey's character's dialogue is so ridiculously metal that Woody Harrelson's character calls him out on it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 03:29:39 AM »

Okay, I watched both episodes. This show is great.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »

You guys still watching this? I'm loving it.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »

Just came here to write about how great last night's episode was. Fantastic. The last five minutes... holy sh**t.

I've seen some people on the internet talking about how insightful and enlightening Rust's monologues are. I'm not sure that's the intention. I think he's supposed to come off as a heavy-handed loon. There is some accuracy in what he says (particularly regarding religion) but I'm not sure we're supposed to completely identify with his thoughts or think of him as some sort of truth-teller like some are.

Too bad we need to two weeks for a new one...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »

Yeah, every episode has had a great ending so far, especially this last one. The next episode looks like it's going to give people the action they've been craving and then some. (I think literally the only major criticism of the show that I've seen is that it's too slow/doesn't have enough action... a criticism I don't agree with but I digress...).
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »

Yeah, every episode has had a great ending so far, especially this last one. The next episode looks like it's going to give people the action they've been craving and then some. (I think literally the only major criticism of the show that I've seen is that it's too slow/doesn't have enough action... a criticism I don't agree with but I digress...).

Yea, if anyone is criticizing it on those grounds they're clearly watching the wrong show and should turn back to CSI or whatever. I would think those awful souls have been weeded out already though.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »

Even ignoring the story and dialogue and acting (which is obviously great), the show is just freaking gorgeous as well. Stupid Super Bowl ruining everything. Angry
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »

Terrific show.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »

"To realize that all your life - all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream, a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about bein' a person....And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it"

Excellent.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 07:59:26 PM »

Even ignoring the story and dialogue and acting (which is obviously great), the show is just freaking gorgeous as well. Stupid Super Bowl ruining everything. Angry

Yeah, it does a fantastic job of depicting Louisiana as a complete sh**thole, but in the most cinematographically beautiful way possible.

I'm totally down with the McConaughey circlejerk like everyone else, but does anyone else find him a bit difficult to understand at times without subtitles?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 08:38:36 PM »

"To realize that all your life - all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream, a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about bein' a person....And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it"

Excellent.

*Cut to the epically disturbing looking Reginald Ledoux.*
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »

Yeah, it does a fantastic job of depicting Louisiana as a complete sh**thole, but in the most cinematographically beautiful way possible.

I'm totally down with the McConaughey circlejerk like everyone else, but does anyone else find him a bit difficult to understand at times without subtitles?

This last episode's soundtrack had a intrusive bass line of some sort that was making the dialogue a little more difficult to understand.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 10:07:25 PM »

can't believe they canceled this week's episode for that Roll Eyes
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »

can't believe they canceled this week's episode for that Roll Eyes

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. What a shame.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies