Which Kind of Life Would You Prefer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 07:31:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which Kind of Life Would You Prefer?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which of the following scenarios would make you happier?
True Love with Difficulties

Comfortable Feelings with an Easy Life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Which Kind of Life Would You Prefer?  (Read 1446 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »

Option 2 because I'm not a sappy romantic.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »

Clarko95, sorry to hear about the extremely difficult relationship circumstances you were in.  It's quite difficult for all loved ones to try and help someone who is in such dire straits. 

TiK, I certainly appreciate where you're coming from regarding the way the question in the poll and OP was framed re. selfishness, the ideal reciprocity that healthy relationships should have.  But I'm not sure I understand your answer.  First, you wrote the there is no true love out there, and that option 2 in its own way represents "settling," but then you say go for compatibility.  Why is finding someone whom one could cherish and was compatible, though not necessarily "truly" loved in the popular sense, not akin to option 2?  I guess the latter was sort of what I had in mind for option 2, even if I may not have phrased it in a clear way.

Anyway, I think Andrew in the end is probably right above when he points out that, in the context of what are intended to be lifelong romantic partnerships, feelings strongly invested in someone who does not of their own will want to make you happy too are misplaced feelings. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »

I'll also note that what the 'difficulties' are isn't specified. My mental image was of a kind and loving but persnickety and perhaps irritable person. It honestly seems ridiculous to me to give up true love just because somebody is persnickety and perhaps irritable, but I realize other people may be interpreting the 'difficulties' in different ways.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 09:55:22 PM »

Currently being deep in the difficulties of true love, I can assure you that it is still much more motivating to overcome them than in a best-friend scenario. You are on a roller-coaster of joy, anxiety, love, rejection, desire and dependence, but man, do you feel alive...
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »

TiK, I certainly appreciate where you're coming from regarding the way the question in the poll and OP was framed re. selfishness, the ideal reciprocity that healthy relationships should have.  But I'm not sure I understand your answer.  First, you wrote the there is no true love out there, and that option 2 in its own way represents "settling," but then you say go for compatibility.  Why is finding someone whom one could cherish and was compatible, though not necessarily "truly" loved in the popular sense, not akin to option 2?  I guess the latter was sort of what I had in mind for option 2, even if I may not have phrased it in a clear way.

Anyway, I think Andrew in the end is probably right above when he points out that, in the context of what are intended to be lifelong romantic partnerships, feelings strongly invested in someone who does not of their own will want to make you happy too are misplaced feelings. 

My response was less of an answer and more of an observation of the nature of the choices. What I was aiming for is that neither of these are good options and are examples of settling for less than what is possible, and also that they are don't really encapsulate the full experience of a relationship over time so they're not necessarily bad either. Also, the terms used make it difficult to answer. What is meant by "true love," "difficulties," and "easy life?"

So, like Nathan, I had to sort of make up in my mind what you meant. I don't believe in "true love" in the sense of a soul mate - one single person out of billions who is meant for you and you for them forever and ever amen. I am married, and I love and cherish my partner above all others. But, I'm not going to lie to myself and think that if we were no longer together for whatever reason that I'd lost the only single person I could live with. Neither will I lie to myself and say that our love could never fade or change. To me that feels like a realistic, healthy attitude. It actually can make a relationship stronger because you know it's fragile and not infinite and requires effort. Love doesn't fix personality flaws you inevitably find or real world problems that can strain relationships (finances, illness, violence, etc). Love is the motivator, the fuel that gives you the energy and stamina to even want to try to get through the hard times, let alone fix them.

And that's where the definition of "difficulties" plays a huge role. In my reply, I figured the difficulties would be some kind of chronic but avoidable awfulness that the other person refuses to address. Violence and manipulative behaviour come to mind. Perhaps drug addiction. Or, you know, it could easily be something very small that slowly eats away at you over time. The key to me was that these difficulties were unnecessary and horribly burdensome, yet preventable by your partner who is deliberately choosing not to do anything out of stupidity, malice, or whatever.

Staying in that kind of relationship long-term because you think you have found your "soul mate" or because of "true love" strikes me as misplaced and foolish (and very human and understandable).

So, instead, you should find someone who you truly love, but also isn't making your life into a constant struggle. That's not option 2 to me. Option 2 is more no constant struggle but no strong emotional bond to the other person. And my point was that if you're willing to give up on finding anyone who makes you want to work at life and live with passion, you're also kind of a failure (but a very human and understandable one).

And my third point was that you could grow to love the person you have no strong feeling for in option 2, or that your easy life could make you feel miserable eventually, or that the difficulties in option 1 could be overcome, or that your true love could fade. So they're both unrealistic and bad options.

tl;dr Man love woman Smiley Woman make man life hard no reason Sad Man find better woman Smiley Man find woman no love Huh Man maybe regret Sad Man find better woman Cheesy Many pleasure
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 11:52:30 PM »

"True love" is incredibly overrated, to the extent that it even exists.

I'm inclined to agree.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 12:00:51 AM »

Option 1 "The Sappy Idiot"
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »