Why are *so many* Libertarians so smug and annoying? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:56:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why are *so many* Libertarians so smug and annoying? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are *so many* Libertarians so smug and annoying?  (Read 22037 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: September 19, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »

Libertarians aren't really a thing anymore. They've mostly drifted into fascism.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »

No, I mean the alt-right is mostly made up of former libertarians. It's where the Paulites of 2008 and 2012 went.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:00:20 AM »

No, I mean the alt-right is mostly made up of former libertarians. It's where the Paulites of 2008 and 2012 went.

Far be it from me to offer a word in defense of libertarians - “I have always found it quaint and rather touching that there is a movement in the US that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough" - but this has less to do with sincere and self-professed libertarians moving toward fascism than with the grotesque grab-bag that comprised Paul's coalition: Buchananites, survivalists, anti-vaxers, 9/11 truthers, anti-fluoride people, neopagans, and every other variety of marginalized, conspiracy-spinning oddball.

No true Scotsman. The Paulite coalition may have been full of cranks, but that hardly means it wasn't full of sincere libertarians either. Austrian economics is kinda inherently cranky.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »

Libertarians aren't really a thing anymore. They've mostly drifted into fascism.

Wow, quite the hot take.

Update:
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies