Libertarians, 2008? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:01:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Libertarians, 2008? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Libertarians, 2008?  (Read 16927 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 03, 2005, 12:14:21 PM »

What we need is a third party with broader appeal.

Amen to that.  Strip out the controversial stuff like Affirmative Action.  If that question came up to a third-party candidate, he/she should merely reply "Last time I checked, everyone has the right to find employment and not be limited by age, gender, or nationality.  If that is not the case, then elect me and we'll fix it once and for all." (or something to that effect.)  Beyond that, take the middle, realistic road on the key issues like Social Security:  "Like it or not, this system is going to run out of money in the future.  Delaying action on this only makes the problem worse in the long run, costing the tax payers even more while getting less of a return for those that need it."  Plenty of examples to choose from, and all of them are easy to answer and believe when you take rhetoric out of it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 01:51:51 PM »

I think we should list what the various positions the two parties have, and find their overlaps.  That would be the candidate needed in order to pull in the support of both.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 09:25:48 AM »

I still like the old ways of the winner being President, and the runner-up being VP.  Could you imagine Gore being Bush's VP?  hehehe
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 07:08:41 AM »

Prez Bush:  (first month in office)  "Al, we need an energy policy.  Why don't you meet with various industry leaders and find out what we can do to improve our nations industry infrastructure and supply."

VP Gore:  "What?  You're Mr. Educated.  You do it!"

Prez Bush:  "Al....."

VP Gore:  "Don't Al me, buddy.  You wanted to be President, so you get do to all this policy stuff.  I'm gonna sit here and write my new book and wait for you to implode so I can defeat you in 2004." 

hahaha
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 09:44:53 AM »

So my question is will the Libertarians ever become a major party?

And my answer would have to be "no". That does not mean they cannot be important but I doubt they will ever become a major party.

I agree, which is why I think they 'major third parties' should work together to find common ground just to select a candidate who has the best chance of winning (of course, they need to work at winning key Congressional seats too).  Unfortunately, they need a candidate who has the money and name recognition to compete, which is why Perot did so well in his run.  The problem is most wealthy/famous people do not want to buck the system, and therefore, the third-parties will have the hardest time getting anywhere. 

When my cousin ran as a Libertarian in NC, he was excited that he received 17% of the votes.  That was one of the biggest gains the party received in a state election . . . yet 17% will not get you into the position.  The third parties need a better strategy, but I don't think the parties are really as serious as their supporters are in regards to winning.  Otherwise, there would be more Libertarians, Constitutionalists, Reformists, etc around the nation holding key seats.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 12:06:17 PM »

You can water-down the party and still be "different," which is what many independent and moderates could be looking for.  The Reform party was never radical (until Pat came along) on anything other than bringing the Congress back to a sense of reality.  The Libertarians could do the same thing . . . start with a single mission/scope . . . gain a foothold, and then slowly expand on what they are for/against.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 03:14:23 PM »

Will there even BE Libertarians in 2008?

Yeah.  Hopefully the less "Our way or no way" variety which has currently lead their party.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 01:08:30 PM »

Marijuana Activist Steve Kubby announced his run for president as a Libertarian last sunday.   http://www.kubby.com/

Declared Libertarian Candidates:
Lance Brown
Jim Burns
Dave Hollist
Steve Kubby
Robert Milnes
George Phillies
Christine Smith
Doug Stanhope

Candidates Still Considering:
Michael Badnarik
Gary Nolan
Aaron Russo
Mary Ruwart

I'd have to sit down and read up on some of these people.  I don't recognize the names.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies