Michigan 2012 Map by City and Town
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:46:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Michigan 2012 Map by City and Town
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Michigan 2012 Map by City and Town  (Read 8579 times)
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
« edited: January 17, 2014, 04:08:56 PM by Dave Leip »

Michigan 2012 Presidential Election Results Map by City and Township

Atlas Page: Link

CandidatePartyCities&Towns Won
RomneyRepublican
ObamaDemocratic
TiesRep-Dem

Municipalities with the largest populations voted overwhelmingly Democratic, with Obama/Biden winning nine of the top ten (Detroit, Grand Rapids, Warren, Ann Arbor, Sterling Heights, Clinton, Lansing, Canton, Farmington Hills; Romney won Livonia) with a net margin of 385,875 votes.  In the city of Detroit alone, Obama/Biden won 97.6% to 2.1%, a marg724 votes.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2014, 01:57:48 PM by Dave Leip »

Awesome! There's a HUGE republican swing in non-Detriot areas, much like Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. Compare that to 2008 (unfortunately here, you can't see 10 point increments, but it gives you an idea of 2008 --> 2012.

ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:53:54 PM »

Here is the swing map from 2008-2012

Actually a Democratic swing in the city of Detroit and several surrounding cities.

Detroit actually went from a margin of 94.3% D-R in 2008 to 95.5% in 2012!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:19:09 AM »

Thanks, Dave!
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »

Excellent work!

I wonder what accounted for the heavy Republican swing in the Thumb and much of the UP. It looks like a significant chunk of the Lake Michigan shoreline, stretching from about Hart to Holland (or just north of), saw a fairly heavy swing, as well.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »

Obama overperformed hugely in the rural Midwest- 2012 was a correction of that.
DS0816
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »

How much is it to pay for this?

Is it a good idea just to buy a premium-level subscription?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »

Is there any reason in particular (besides the over performance of Obama in 2008) why there was such a huge swing especially in the southern peninsula?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 07:02:22 PM »

Is there any reason in particular (besides the over performance of Obama in 2008) why there was such a huge swing especially in the southern peninsula?
Romney was born and rised in MI. in the wealthier parts of Oakland Co he was up nearly 10% over McCain. He also appears to have gained in the Upper Peninsula, perhaps due a backlash against Congressman Bart Stupak's support of the ACA.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 10:29:41 PM »

Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 05:37:16 PM »

Excellent work!

I wonder what accounted for the heavy Republican swing in the Thumb and much of the UP. It looks like a significant chunk of the Lake Michigan shoreline, stretching from about Hart to Holland (or just north of), saw a fairly heavy swing, as well.

Old thread being resurrected. Several reasons.

Bush was severely disliked in 2008 in Michigan. GOP cratered in rural areas here in 2006. 2008 was only slightly better.

McCain ran the worst campaign I've ever seen. He infamously quit Michigan and undercut any ground came there was. (Rove ran his trap too in 2012, but that was Rove more than the others)

Up north, a lot of people just stayed home. Romney did worse than McCain in terms of raw votes in some rural areas, but won the same county against Obama where Obama won the county against McCain. The UP is moving a bit to the right (it voted for Dukakis). It's taken a beating in its main industries (Mining, Timber, Corrections) and it's also socially conservative on life and firearms issues. I think Stupak would however still be in congress if he didn't retire. The D bench was decimated in Northern Michigan overall in 2010. Marquette is still dem (unions and NMU) and Gogebic County is still yellow dog, maybe due to the Duluth/Superior influence.   

On the Lake MI side, there's a bit of a Chicago influence (vacation homes, etc) that came through for Obama.

The housing crunch did a number in new developments and McCain took the brunt of some of that. He only got 55-56% in Livingston County which is the worst showing since 1986 at the top of the ticket.  Romney got 61 which is normal here.

The Thumb has always been ticket splitting, but conservative. I've seen 60% areas there elect a dem for state rep. They backed Bill Clinton in the thumb. 2010 did a number there as well. That area may be gone for good outside of Port Huron. Southern Lapeer/St Clair are gaining ex Oakland/Macomb residents who are bringing their politics with them. The politics aren't Warren or Southfield politics either.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 05:44:16 PM »

Awesome! There's a HUGE republican swing in non-Detriot areas, much like Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. Compare that to 2008 (unfortunately here, you can't see 10 point increments, but it gives you an idea of 2008 --> 2012.

I can attest to that.  Mitt Romney was the first Republican to carry Arenac County since Bush 1 in 1988.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »

Excellent work!

Old thread being resurrected. Several reasons.

Bush was severely disliked in 2008 in Michigan. GOP cratered in rural areas here in 2006. 2008 was only slightly better.

McCain ran the worst campaign I've ever seen. He infamously quit Michigan and undercut any ground came there was. (Rove ran his trap too in 2012, but that was Rove more than the others)

Up north, a lot of people just stayed home. Romney did worse than McCain in terms of raw votes in some rural areas, but won the same county against Obama where Obama won the county against McCain. The UP is moving a bit to the right (it voted for Dukakis). It's taken a beating in its main industries (Mining, Timber, Corrections) and it's also socially conservative on life and firearms issues. I think Stupak would however still be in congress if he didn't retire. The D bench was decimated in Northern Michigan overall in 2010. Marquette is still dem (unions and NMU) and Gogebic County is still yellow dog, maybe due to the Duluth/Superior influence.   

On the Lake MI side, there's a bit of a Chicago influence (vacation homes, etc) that came through for Obama.

The housing crunch did a number in new developments and McCain took the brunt of some of that. He only got 55-56% in Livingston County which is the worst showing since 1986 at the top of the ticket.  Romney got 61 which is normal here.

The Thumb has always been ticket splitting, but conservative. I've seen 60% areas there elect a dem for state rep. They backed Bill Clinton in the thumb. 2010 did a number there as well. That area may be gone for good outside of Port Huron. Southern Lapeer/St Clair are gaining ex Oakland/Macomb residents who are bringing their politics with them. The politics aren't Warren or Southfield politics either.
In 2008, McCain finished slightly worse than either Dick DeVos or Mike Bouchard in 2006, but the county maps were somewhat different in those three contests.  Here they are for comparison:

Governor 2006 (Granholm 56%, DeVos 42%)

Senate 2006 (Stabenow 57% , Bouchard 41%)

President 2008 (Obama 57%, McCain 40%)

As you can see, the GOP hemorrhaged rural support during Bush's second term.  Even some of the most Republican counties in western Michigan (Berrien and Kent being the two best examples) went for Obama.  I think a lot of that has to do with Grand Rapids and Benton Harbor (the latter being predominantly black), where Obama over-performed so much for a Democrat that he carried the whole county. 
While the UP has trended Republican as of late for the same reasons as Appalachia, there still seem to be some areas of Democrat support.  For instance, Schauer carried a number of UP counties last year, and Gogebic County was one of only four counties that Bernero carried in 2010.
Also, I don't think the Thumb ticket-splits as much as you think.  I live right on the border of the Thumb, and it seems to favor Republicans.  My hometown is a farming community and generally votes over 70% for Republicans.  I don't think Clinton carried the Thumb in his first campaign, but he appears to the second time.  Terry Brown got elected to the State House during the Democrat wave in 2006, and Jim Barcia got over 60% in Sanilac County (probably the most Republican county outside West MI) that same year, which probably had to do with being a popular incumbent.  Stabenow got Sanilac in 2012 too, but that was probably due more to Hoekstra's weakness as a candidate.  Michigan county election maps are always fun to look at because many of them seem to be so fluid in the way they vote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies