“Do you have only one blessing, my father? Bless me too, my father!”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:24:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  “Do you have only one blessing, my father? Bless me too, my father!”
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: “Do you have only one blessing, my father? Bless me too, my father!”  (Read 366 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »

Of the readings in the Revised Common Lectionary for 17 January 2014 (Friday before the Second Sunday after Epiphany), I chose to reflect on Genesis 27:30-38.

“Do you have only one blessing, my father? Bless me too, my father!” Genesis 27:38b

Sometimes I have to wonder at why certain choices were made to be included in the lectionary.  I think that the intent here was to end with Esau's question of Isaac and thus lead into the idea that Jesus is a blessing for those who were not previously blessed.  Yet ending the reading at verse 38 and not continuing on distorts the whole context here.  After all, the 'blessing' that Isaac does give Esau in the next two verses which are not part of the reading is decidedly second-rate, even third rate.

The story of Esau does fit into a general theme of stories from the Hebrew Testament.  It is better to be a wily second-son than an arrogant presumptuous first-son. For your wily younger brother is likely to get the inheritance you thought would be yours.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies