Terry Shiavo Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:30:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Terry Shiavo Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Poll
Question: Should Terry Shiavo be kept alive or let die?
(D) Keep her alive

(D) Let her die

(R) Keep her alive

(R) Let her die

(I/O) Keep her alive

(I/O) Let her die

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Terry Shiavo Poll  (Read 21300 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 28, 2005, 02:52:54 AM »

I'm not even going to address the first point.  You're one sick person, though.  I'd hate it if you worked for a company that I ran, because you incapable of taking responsibility EVEN WHEN IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF A MISTAKE WAS MADE!!

It completely exposes your pretension to objectivity when you concoct these convoluted explainations as to why somebody did something, or why such and such doesn't really prove this or that.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #251 on: March 28, 2005, 03:05:57 AM »

I have to hand it to you; yes there is a mention about abuse.  It refers to the Schindler's abuse of the legal system.

Mrs. Weller told Mrs. Schiavo that this whole matter could end if Mrs. Schiavo could articulate one sentence: 'I want to live.' " The motion continued, saying that Ms. Schiavo "attempted to verbalize the sentence. She managed to articulate the first two vowel sounds, first articulating 'ahhhhhhh' and then virtually screaming 'waaaaaaaa.' She became very agitated, but could not complete the vocalization attempted."

The Schindlers argued that their daughter seemed to be trying to say "I want," and that her feeding tube should be reinserted to determine whether she could communicate.

George Felos, Mr. Schiavo's lawyer, called the motion "outrageous" and "an abuse of the legal system," saying the issue of whether Ms. Schiavo can communicate had been addressed in previous hearings. The sounds were nothing more than a reflex caused by touching her, he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/26/national/26schiavo.html

You might want to check out the definition of the word "barratry," in the non maritime sense.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2005, 03:17:33 AM »

Today's Times (print version, again) had a story where Terri's brother talks about Terri's thoughts to get a divorce and he alleges evidence of abuse.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #253 on: March 28, 2005, 03:27:24 AM »

Your effusive praise of Michael and his lawyers is becoming more and more untenable.

George Felos, Michaels attorney, said of Terri's condition, "In all the years I've seen Mrs. Schiavo, I have never seen such a look of peace and beauty upon her," and "She looked beautiful".

Well, starvation work on supermodels, why not Terri Schiavo?  I see it now.  Move over Atkins diet, make room for the Schiavo Startion System!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #254 on: March 28, 2005, 03:54:10 AM »

I'm not even going to address the first point.  You're one sick person, though.  I'd hate it if you worked for a company that I ran, because you incapable of taking responsibility EVEN WHEN IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF A MISTAKE WAS MADE!!

It completely exposes your pretension to objectivity when you concoct these convoluted explainations as to why somebody did something, or why such and such doesn't really prove this or that.

I can assure that any you would run would fail quickly; accuracy and quality control are what sells and your posts indicate a serious lacking of both.  Of course when it fails, maybe you can get a job with the Schindlers; truth doesn't seem to matter to them.

Here is one example:

JJ, you're so dishonest its not even funny.  You said I claimed that Micahel's only reasn for denying Terri her life was his financial interest.  This is not what I say in that quote!  I said there were reasons he should not be guardian anymore, one of them being a fnancial conflict of interest.  If you want to deny that the life insurance policy exists, go ahead (Nothing you do would surprise me at this pont), but don't pretend I said it was the sole problem, and don't pretend I said it was in and of itself a reason to suspect that money is his motivation.  The quote speaks for itself, when i actually list three specific reasons he should not be guardian, not one.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

After repeated asking, you finally admitted that it didn't exist.  That's been the problem with most of your posts; you've claimed all sorts of things, what the rules of evidence are, what the Federal Statute said, that guardians couldn't be heirs, that Mr. Schaivo asted improperly as guardian.  All of these can, and were checked and were found to be wrong.  This isn't one isolated incident, but repeated ones.

As for the abuse, the Schidlers have claimed it since 1993 (and iteresting didn't prior to that); it was checked and determined to be untrue; they certainly didn't see any "abuse" in 1990, when they didn't object to Mr. Schaivo being appointed guardian.   They are even less trustworthy than you are.

I'll add that it wasn't online.

I use to work as a welfare caseworker; part of my job was asking clients questions.  I found that one of the easiest ways to tell if a client was telling the truth was to see how consistent his information was.  Whenever they claimed that that their bills were for $400 a month, and they'd only get a check for $316, I'd ask where they got the extra money to pay their bills.  It's not a hard test to make, but you'd stunned to know how many caseworkers didn't do it.

John, you wouldn't even make it as a welfare client, based on what you've posted on this thread.

[/quote]
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2005, 04:07:30 AM »

Your effusive praise of Michael and his lawyers is becoming more and more untenable.

George Felos, Michaels attorney, said of Terri's condition, "In all the years I've seen Mrs. Schiavo, I have never seen such a look of peace and beauty upon her," and "She looked beautiful".

Well, starvation work on supermodels, why not Terri Schiavo?  I see it now.  Move over Atkins diet, make room for the Schiavo Startion System!

He may be right; he didn't know her 15 years ago.

I wouldn't call it praise, but like Mr. Schiavo doing his duty, and being honest.  Here the claim again:

As part of the first challenge to Michael's Guardianship, the court appointed John H. Pecarek as Guardian Ad Litem to determine if there had been any abuse by Michael Schiavo. His report, issued 1 March 1994, found no inappropriate actions and indicated that Michael had been very attentive to Theresa. After two more years of legal contention, the Schindlers action against Michael was dismissed with prejudice. Efforts to remove Michael as Guardian were attempted in subsequent years, without success.

http://jb-williams.com/ts-report-12-03.htm

I'm not saying it, the guardian appointed under "Terri's Law" is saying it.
Everytime I check the claims, the answer keeps coming back the same.

We have some evidence that Terri Schiavo would not want to be kept alive in this case.  We have no evidence evidence that she ever uttered an opinion to the contrary.  We have a lot of evidence that what the Schindlers are saying, that we can verify is untrue, though they've pulled nearly every maudlin trick in the book and violated Mrs. Schiavo's right to privacy, in violation of a court order; we don't have that with the Schiovos.

I do have more respect for Mr. Schiavo, at least; he doesn't treat us a gullible.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2005, 04:12:51 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2005, 04:14:40 AM by John D. Ford »

I didn't admit the life insurance didn't exist, I  said I used the term life insurance when referring to the malpractice trust fund, and freely admit I used imprecise language that caused confusion.  The malpractice fund did exist and was raided by Michael Schiavo in direct contravention to a court order demanding that it be spent on Terri Schiavo's medical care.

He also lied in that court case, saying he'd allow Terri to live out her natural life expectancy.  He obviously is not doing that.

You keep up these attacks on the Schindlers.  I haven't seen you produce one lie except those that appear to be brought on by extreme distress.  Their view that Terri was in her final hours, for example, turned out to be wrong.  But they can hardly be called liars, for they were under extreme distress and their comments were likewise extreme.  I think its safe to say they probably believed Terri was in her final hourse, if someone says something that turns out ot be wrong, it isn't necessarily a lie.  I haven't seen you produce any actual lies.

We all get it by now, you can quote the Wolfson report.  Its an argument to authority, and not a very good one.  As WMS has demonstrated, simply saying someone is unbiased doesn't make them so.  Simply being court appointed doesn't make someone unbiased.  A lot of your argument rests on the idea that the courts are infallible, which is obviously wrong.

That's pretty sad that you actually think that.  Its really sick that you'll actually defend anything this guy says no matter how deranged it might be.  THE WHOLE POINT IS THAT WITH EACH DAY, SHE DRAWS NEARER TO DEATH!!!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2005, 04:49:38 AM »

The most reasonable explanation IMO for Michael’s apparent change of position over the years is that at first he clung to the hope, like the Schindlers still do, that Terri was not in a PVS.  As long as he held that hope,  he should have done all he could to help Terri recover, and it appears he did.  Once he became convinced that she was in a PVS, then following Terri’s desires for what she wanted if she ended up in such a state, was what he should have done, and what it appears he has done.

The difficulty here is occassioned by the disparity in both the belief in whether Terri is in a PVS and in what Terri’s wishes were between Michael and the Schindlers.  That made it a legal issue.  The law decided both facets in favor of Michael’s position and so the Schindlers turned from the court of law to the court of public opinion since they couldn’t win in the former.  They have lost in the latter as well.

I can sympathize with the Schindlers inability to accept what happened to Terri, and given their beliefs, I can’t fault them too much for what they did.  After all, ideally, parents should not have the opportunity to attend a funeral for their child.  Rather, what fault exists in my opinion lies with those of their so-called supporters who have distorted facts in the service of their own agendas, which had little or nothing to do with what was best for Terri Schaivo.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2005, 05:14:56 AM »

I didn't admit the life insurance didn't exist, I  said I used the term life insurance when referring to the malpractice trust fund, and freely admit I used imprecise language that caused confusion.  The malpractice fund did exist and was raided by Michael Schiavo in direct contravention to a court order demanding that it be spent on Terri Schiavo's medical care.

Wrong again.  It is to be used for her care and is monitored by the court.  this falls under her "care."  It's a bit like paying the income taxes on the interest on money (and it probably is taxable).  That is legitimate use.  Estate assets of this type are not limited for medical care.

Where does this claim come from?

You yourself claimed that she couldn't speak, yet with the last 72 hours, the Shindlers filed a claim (rejected of course) thaty she said, "AAAHH WAAAA," as communication that she wanted to keep the tube in.  They filed that in an affidavit.

No. My argument is that the Scheindlers agreed to Wolfson, he isn't paid by either, and, they signed on to the recommendations.  Mr. Schiavo didn't because he was challenging the constitutionality of "Terri's Law."  We have an independent guardian, appointed under "Terri's Law", approved by the Schindlers, and with whose recommendation the Schindlers agreed!  Oh how terribly biased against the Schindlers that must be! (That is sarcasm).

No, my argument is the American one.  In our system, the courts make decisions on what the resentatives of the people wish to enact as laws, inclusive of their constitutions.  They did just that.  Congress passed a law, and the courts applied it properly.  The legislature State of Florida declined to enact a law that said that only previously written statements would be admissible, which the SCOTUS said in Crusan would be permissible.  The people didn't want that law changed; we collectively want the current system, that can produce this result in place.

That's pretty sad that you actually think that.  Its really sick that you'll actually defend anything this guy says no matter how deranged it might be.  THE WHOLE POINT IS THAT WITH EACH DAY, SHE DRAWS NEARER TO DEATH!!!

That isn't in the least deranged, under two conditions:

1.  Terri Schiavo doesn't know what is happening and it doesn't make any difference.

2. Terri Schiavo knows what is happening, and is happy that her wishes are FINALLY being carried out!

It is frankly perverse to think that death won't be a release for her, on some level.  If she was becoming agitated, that might be a sign that she wants to stay in this condition.  That she isn't just one more sign that this is what she wants.

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: March 28, 2005, 01:13:53 PM »

It actually is deranged to defend Felos for saying Terri looks beautiful while she is being killed by starvation/dehydration.

I think I've made my view clear that most of what the Schindler's are doing now can be chalked up to desperation, and they should be given reprieve from attacks on their honesty for acts of desperation.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #260 on: March 28, 2005, 01:22:03 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2005, 02:28:29 PM by J. J. »

It actually is deranged to defend Felos for saying Terri looks beautiful while she is being killed by starvation/dehydration.

I think I've made my view clear that most of what the Schindler's are doing now can be chalked up to desperation, and they should be given reprieve from attacks on their honesty for acts of desperation.

Gee, nearly everyone that is party to a legal action, criminal or civil, is "desperate."  Under this twisted logic, any party to a suit is given an excuse to lie in court filing because of desperation.  A witness who is 'desperate" to keep his friend out of jail should be able to lie about an alibi.  The doctors in the malpractice suit should have lied so that they didn't have to make the pay out.  Mr. Schiavo should be permitted to lie because he's "desperate" to carry out his wife's wishes.

I guess that it would be okay for someone getting welfare benefits to lie about income because they are "desperate" to get more money.

You've now sunk to a new low in defending the Schindler's dishonesty.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #261 on: March 28, 2005, 03:18:26 PM »

Gee, nearly everyone that is party to a legal action, criminal or civil, is "desperate."  Under this twisted logic, any party to a suit is given an excuse to lie in court filing because of desperation.  A witness who is 'desperate" to keep his friend out of jail should be able to lie about an alibi.  The doctors in the malpractice suit should have lied so that they didn't have to make the pay out.  Mr. Schiavo should be permitted to lie because he's "desperate" to carry out his wife's wishes.

I guess that it would be okay for someone getting welfare benefits to lie about income because they are "desperate" to get more money.

You've now sunk to a new low in defending the Schindler's dishonesty.

Your boy Michael is killing their daughter.  That's where their desepration comes from.

What they did wasn't a lie because they believe it to be true.  Its up to the judge to determine if their evaluation of their world at this point in their lives is fit for a court room, and he said no.  Its unnecessary piling on to now say that they're liars.  They believe she said she wants to live.  You can't call someone a liar for saying what they truly believe.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #262 on: March 28, 2005, 03:38:01 PM »

Why does Michael "the beater" Schiavo want his wife immediately creamated and has a court order not allowing the family to get involved in the burial ceremony? Why did Mikey "the beater" Schiavo not allow his wife to recieve last rights from the family priest. He actually had a COURT ORDER out to stop the family.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #263 on: March 28, 2005, 03:47:25 PM »

Your boy Michael is killing their daughter.  That's where their desepration comes from.

What they did wasn't a lie because they believe it to be true.  Its up to the judge to determine if their evaluation of their world at this point in their lives is fit for a court room, and he said no.  Its unnecessary piling on to now say that they're liars.  They believe she said she wants to live.  You can't call someone a liar for saying what they truly believe.

Well, the problem is that they were liars before their was their any question of removing the feeding tube.

In 1990, when Mr. Schiavo was first appointed guardian, they had no objection (and technically the could have).

If they thought he was "abusing" his wife, why didn't the object at that time.  They did object three years later, claiming abuse, which was found to be groundless.  Now, in those three years, from 1990 to 1993, what changed?  Mrs. Schiavo was still getting therapy and would until 1994.  Their was no DNR order at the time.

One thing that changed was that Mr. Schiavo, who received a settlement in the malpractice suits, declinded to give some of the money to the Schindlers.

This deals with the Schindler's motives in the early 1990's and their claims today.  There is a pattern of dishonesty with the Schindlers.  The claims they made in 1993 is similar to the claims that they made in the last weeks.

You have defended their dishonesty as being an act of "desperation" now, but in 1993, when they made similar claims.  There was no "desperation" in that time, no suggestion that the feeding tube removed, and no DNR order.

The question is, who throughout this 15 year process has been consistent answers.  It is not the Schindlers.

Now, we see the same pattern.  I would be more sympathetic to the Schindlers if they:

1.  Had made these claims of abuse when Mr. Schiavo first applied to be guardian.  They would have had to said, at that point, "We trust the person abusing our daughter."

2.  The had made the claims first when her treatments changed.  Mrs. Schiavo was still being rehabilitated when they filed suit and would for more than 6 months.  What changed in the case between 1990 and June of 1993?  Mr. Schiavo said no to their request for money and that was it!!!!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #264 on: March 28, 2005, 03:50:24 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2005, 04:02:29 PM by J. J. »

Why does Michael "the beater" Schiavo want his wife immediately creamated and has a court order not allowing the family to get involved in the burial ceremony? Why did Mikey "the beater" Schiavo not allow his wife to recieve last rights from the family priest. He actually had a COURT ORDER out to stop the family.

She actually has received last rites, when the tube was removed.  She received the Communion yesterday.

I would never want pack of liars at the funeral of my wife, the Schindlers, or perhaps The Swindlers.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #265 on: March 28, 2005, 04:08:42 PM »

She actually has received last rites, when the tube was removed.  She received the Communion yesterday.

I would never want pack of liars at the funeral of my wife, the Schindlers, or perhaps The Swindlers.

You'd rather the man that beat his wife be there, right?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #266 on: March 28, 2005, 05:25:37 PM »

The cause for the falling out was that the Schindler's wanted to use the money for rehabilitation, and Schiavo used it to litigate the end of Terri's life.

There is a very dark place inside you, it seems, as you defend the absurd and outrageous from someone who is trying to kill his wife, and reserve harsh judgement for the parents of a dying girl.  Its a very sad thing to see someone like that, and in a sense I pity you for that.
Cashcow

« Reply #267 on: March 28, 2005, 06:11:01 PM »

The protestors are calling Jeb Bush "Pontius Pilate." Am I the only one who finds this hilarious?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #268 on: March 28, 2005, 06:21:55 PM »

The protestors are calling Jeb Bush "Pontius Pilate." Am I the only one who finds this hilarious?
Merely predictable.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #269 on: March 28, 2005, 06:25:26 PM »

It is great fun!  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! 

Maybe this will teach the plutocrats they're playing with fire making use of these religious maniacs.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #270 on: March 28, 2005, 06:44:23 PM »

The cause for the falling out was that the Schindler's wanted to use the money for rehabilitation, and Schiavo used it to litigate the end of Terri's life.

There is a very dark place inside you, it seems, as you defend the absurd and outrageous from someone who is trying to kill his wife, and reserve harsh judgement for the parents of a dying girl.  Its a very sad thing to see someone like that, and in a sense I pity you for that.

Wrong again!

Here is a chronology from the Ethics department of the University of Miami:

November 1992

The jury in the medical malpractice trial against another of Terri’s physicians awards more than one million dollars.  In the end, after attorneys’ fees and other expenses, Michael Schiavo received about $300,000 and about $750,000 was put in a trust fund specifically for Terri Schiavo’s medical care.

February 14, 1993

Michael Schiavo and the Schindlers have a falling-out over the course of therapy for Terri Schiavo; Michael Schiavo claims that the Schindlers demand that he share the malpractice money with them.

July 29, 1993

Schindlers attempt to remove Michael Schiavo as Terri Schiavo’s guardian; the court later dismisses the suit.

http://www.miami.edu/ethics2/schiavo/timeline.htm

Notice the date, July of 1993.

By 1994, Michael's attitude and perspective about Theresa's condition changed. During the previous four years, he had insistently held to the premise that Theresa could recover and the evidence is incontrovertible that he gave his heart and soul to her treatment and care. This was in the face of consistent medical reports indicating that there was little or no likelihood for her improvement.

In early 1994 Theresa contracted a urinary tract infection and Michael, in consultation with Theresa's treating physician, elected not to treat the infection and simultaneously imposed a "do not resuscitate" order should Theresa experience cardiac arrest. When the nursing facility initiated an intervention to challenge this decision, Michael cancelled the orders. Following the incident involving the infection, Theresa was transferred to another skilled nursing facility.

Note the date, early 1994.  There was no attempt at litigation on Mr. Schiavo's part in 1993, none in 1994, 1995, 1996, or 1997.  

When did Mr. Schiavo actually do this?

In 1997, six years after Theresa's tragic collapse, Michael elected to initiate an action to withdraw artificial life support from Theresa. More than a year later, in May of 1998, the first petition to discontinue life support was entered.

Almost five years later, More than eight years after the heart attack,  Mr. Schiavo began the process.  He wasn't rushing to do anything.  There was no attempt, as you claim, that the Schindler's had to block anything; the only thing that changed from November 1992 and July 1993 was Mr. Schiavo won the lawsuit and the Schindler didn't get any money out of it.

We heard from Mr. Schindler on Friday that Mrs. Schiavo had hours to life; we heard from him today that she's hanging on.  Which verision of any story of the Schindlers should we believe?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2005, 06:51:35 PM »

You'd rather have the family that pimped out their daughter when they told their son-in-law to start dating?  You have a daughter; would you do that to her?

Just for the record, prior to cremation, Mr. Schiavo is requesting an autopsy.  Just reported on CBS.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2005, 07:15:07 PM »

Here is the citation:

Attorney George Felos told reporters late Monday afternoon in Florida that Michael Schiavo has requested that Pinellas County’s chief medical examiner perform on autopsy on his wife once she dies in order to answer questions about the severity of brain damage and to put to rest rumors about her physical condition.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/1411937.html

Now this isn't exactly the action of someone with something to hide.

We will get to the truth even if post mordem.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2005, 07:22:52 PM »

You'd rather have the family that pimped out their daughter when they told their son-in-law to start dating?  You have a daughter; would you do that to her?

Just for the record, prior to cremation, Mr. Schiavo is requesting an autopsy.  Just reported on CBS.

This is a recent position change for him then, as he had previously petitioned the court to deny such autopsy.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #274 on: March 28, 2005, 07:35:39 PM »

This is a recent position change for him then, as he had previously petitioned the court to deny such autopsy.

Well, here is the link to the report again:

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/1411937.html

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies