Kalwejt's Polish electoral maps thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:48:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Kalwejt's Polish electoral maps thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Kalwejt's Polish electoral maps thread  (Read 12043 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2017, 11:41:30 AM »

Lik'd
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2017, 11:44:50 AM »

Is the seemingly ever-lasting divide following the former German Empire's borders due to German influence and infrastructure, or to the Polish people being resettled there from the east after 1945?

Second one.
palandio

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »

Is the seemingly ever-lasting divide following the former German Empire's borders due to German influence and infrastructure, or to the Polish people being resettled there from the east after 1945?

Neither and both at the same time. :-D

Long answer: It's about structural differences. Former Congress Poland's and Galicia's agriculture was mainly based on small peasantry (although there was of course also a large number of small nobility), and unlike in other Eastern Bloc states that was not too much affected by collectivization during communism. The Eastern parts of the German Empire (i.e. today's Western Poland) on the other hand had a lot of large estates with the bulk of the population being farm laborers rather than small peasants. It was also much more economically developed, I remember someone on the forum posting maps of the railroad network in 1914, the contrast was quite impressive.

Resettlement after 1945 only reinforced this, but it cannot have been the main factor, because why would Greater Poland (i.e. the region around Poznań) be a "liberal" stronghold otherwise? I mean, it was majority Polish even before 1918 and most of it became part of Poland after WWI.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »

Gave it a like and invited some of my uni friends as well. Great stuff!
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »

Resettlement after 1945 only reinforced this, but it cannot have been the main factor, because why would Greater Poland (i.e. the region around Poznań) be a "liberal" stronghold otherwise? I mean, it was majority Polish even before 1918 and most of it became part of Poland after WWI.

And why would Warsaw be another liberal stronghold? There are various reasons why people are voting PO and not PiS. As for the territory which was German before 1945 population changes are more important than how the economic situation looked before the war -mainly because a little of what was there before 1945 was there after the 1945 - including economic relations, population, customs, religion etc. And resettlement is main reason, population which migrated from other parts of pre-war Poland, they were usually separated from their traditional communities what usually make any sort of social changes easier. Also after the war those parts of Poland had younger population and in such places communist authorities had easier job in influencing society, much easier in places where role of traditional communities was still big (parents, Church etc.). Other thing that before II World War Greater Poland was also well developed, at least compared with other parts of country. They were always voting different than the rest of the country, and they were always richer than former Russian or Austrian partition. And collectivization wasn't strong there. Nowadays they are pretty rich, have low unemployment (5%) and generally have not that much reasons to vote on PiS which is pro-social as for the economic issues. I guess proximity of Germany also somehow influence that.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2018, 05:59:35 AM »

Maybe not Polish but I guess also interesting.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies