Reason why I am not a Neo-Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:13:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Reason why I am not a Neo-Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reason why I am not a Neo-Republican  (Read 5654 times)
ShapeShifter

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2004, 02:05:29 PM »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/uclicktext/20040408/cm_ucac/deliverusfromdemocrats

Stuff like this makes me want to throw up.

I have again and again asked that what this country needs is Unity and not partisan rhetoric B.S. We have to find a middle ground.
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 02:49:32 PM »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/uclicktext/20040408/cm_ucac/deliverusfromdemocrats

I have again and again asked that what this country needs is Unity and not partisan rhetoric B.S. We have to find a middle ground.

You call that partisan rhetoric? You obviously haven't been in the United States since the primaries started.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 02:54:31 PM »

You call that partisan rhetoric? You obviously haven't been in the United States since the primaries started.

Both party play partisan rhetoric is what you are trying to say. Stop speaking in double speak.

The extreme Neo-Conservatives agenda and way of tactic is obvious, in your face.

You want to keep play politics with people's life, go ahead. I just know, again and again, Unity is greatly needed. This country is split 50-50
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 03:18:47 PM »

Both party play partisan rhetoric is what you are trying to say. Stop speaking in double speak.

The extreme Neo-Conservatives agenda and way of tactic is obvious, in your face.

You want to keep play politics with people's life, go ahead. I just know, again and again, Unity is greatly needed. This country is split 50-50

Double speak? What the  are you talking about? The Democrats have done a lot more to divide this country than the Republicans
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 04:46:17 PM »

Coulter is an idiot... her argument have no value whats so ever, Hanity I have a little more time for, but generally she IMHO is the most extreem "mainstream" political comentator in the US, Hanity and Russ can be balanced by Moore and Franken but Coulter has no equivalent on the left .... its crazy! but dont let it get to you, she is little more than an attention seeker and is only speaking to the converted (as are Hanity, Franken, Russ and Moore) but as i said I just find Coulter radically out side the mainstream!... but hey thats just me...
ShapeShifter

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 05:50:05 PM »

Double speak? What the  are you talking about? The Democrats have done a lot more to divide this country than the Republicans

The blame game only makes this country more divided.
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 06:34:43 PM »

Who is blaming whom in the political arena at the moment?
ShapeShifter

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 06:42:53 PM »

Who is blaming whom in the political arena at the moment?

Both!

And also, it is called AN ELECTION

I am sure you heard about those right?
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 07:10:23 PM »

I'm sorry that in your insignifigant world the Democrats do no wrong. It's both, as long as it's not the Dems right? The vile sh*t coming out of the liberal spin machine is a lot worse than what the Republicans are dishing out. Nobody on the conservative side is saying they hate John Kerry. We don't make personal attacks against him. We don't call him evil. The Republicans have surprisingly kept it to the issues in this election, I just wish the Democrats would do the same.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 07:17:08 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2004, 07:17:52 PM by Michael Z »

I'm sorry that in your insignifigant world the Democrats do no wrong. It's both, as long as it's not the Dems right? The vile sh*t coming out of the liberal spin machine is a lot worse than what the Republicans are dishing out. Nobody on the conservative side is saying they hate John Kerry. We don't make personal attacks against him. We don't call him evil. The Republicans have surprisingly kept it to the issues in this election, I just wish the Democrats would do the same.

To be fair, both sides have come up with some disgusting smears of late; the Republicans by calling many political opponents 'anti-American', Democrats by comparing Bush to Hitler and so forth. But then political discourse is extremely heated right now, so unfortunately that's the nature of the beast...
ShapeShifter

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 07:30:59 PM »

your partisan is so wired into your mind, you don't even notice it.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 08:30:46 PM »

Ann Coulter seems to say a lot of things for effect.  She is half comedian and half political commentator.  I can see the way she half-smiles when she says things that she finds them amusing.

She is definitely preaching to the converted.  I find that she oversimplifies things and sometimes overstates her case, but some of what she says is true and needs to be said.

Elections are not about unity, and a democracy will never have true unity.  There will always be issues that divide people.  I wish we had better unity on the foreign threats that we face, but disunity on domestic issues is unavoidable and even healthy.

I sometimes think about how close our elections are, even the "landslides."  A vote of 60% is considered a landslide, but that still leaves a sizeable number of people voting for the other side, and presumably unhappy with the elected leader.  Only in dictatorships with fake elections will the results so heavily favor one side.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 09:27:02 PM »

Ann Coulter seems to say a lot of things for effect.  She is half comedian and half political commentator.  I can see the way she half-smiles when she says things that she finds them amusing.

She is definitely preaching to the converted.  I find that she oversimplifies things and sometimes overstates her case, but some of what she says is true and needs to be said.

Elections are not about unity, and a democracy will never have true unity.  There will always be issues that divide people.  I wish we had better unity on the foreign threats that we face, but disunity on domestic issues is unavoidable and even healthy.

I sometimes think about how close our elections are, even the "landslides."  A vote of 60% is considered a landslide, but that still leaves a sizeable number of people voting for the other side, and presumably unhappy with the elected leader.  Only in dictatorships with fake elections will the results so heavily favor one side.

Dazzleman, Thanks for your insight. I really enjoyed it.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 09:55:39 PM »

I'm glad to help.

I actually find Ann Coulter pretty funny, even if some of what she says goes too far.  Sometimes, I laugh out loud when I read her columns.  I love her line about how there hasn't been a documented rabbit attack against a US citizen since Carter left office.

I remember the infamous "rabbit attack" on Carter, and how he was ridiculed for it.  He was already considered a weak president, and now he couldn't even fight off a rabbit, and animal not known for attacking humans!  It was a defining moment for Carter, if unfairly so.  Of course his problems as president had nothing to do with the rabbit attack, but it was symbolic for a lot of people.  If he couldn't defend himself against a usually docile animal, how could he protect us from the Russians and against Iranian terrorism.  The answer is that he couldn't.

I don't take Ann Coulter too seriously though.  As I said, she is at least half an entertainer as opposed to a serious commentator, and she is looking for attention.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 10:50:27 PM »

Ann Coulter.  The Al Franken of the Right.

I agree that all this "rah, rah, our party good, their party evil" crap is worthless, but there are serious issues that divide our country, and the solution is not, "Let's cover all those gaping ideological gaps with flowers and pretend they don't exist in the name of 'Unity.'"  All that leads to is a bland political nothingness, where no one has any guts to address anything important.  It's like what happened in the Senate in the decades leading up to the Civil War, when they censored the subject of Slavery.  It didn't solve anything, it just put off the problem until it festered into a full-blown crisis that tore our country apart.

I'm not saying political cheerleading is a good thing, but let's not pretend we have unity when there are so many things that divide us.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 05:33:30 AM »

OH COME ON! That's b/c Kerry is an insignificant person! You do say that he is dangerous to the country. It appears to me that there's a lot more hate for Democrats among Republicans than the other way around, which has to do with the fact that the GOP is more ideological and more extremist, whereas the Democratic party is more of a big compromise.
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 06:06:05 AM »

OH COME ON! That's b/c Kerry is an insignificant person! You do say that he is dangerous to the country. It appears to me that there's a lot more hate for Democrats among Republicans than the other way around, which has to do with the fact that the GOP is more ideological and more extremist, whereas the Democratic party is more of a big compromise.

More hate for Democrats than Republicans? Are you crazy?!Of course John Kerry is dangerous to the country. We aren't saying he has commited treason. We don't say he is evil, like so many of your comrades. We don't compare him to Hitler. We haven't said he is a liar. I have never seen so much hate for one man, Bush, in my life!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2004, 06:10:43 AM »

Gustaf, I respect your opinions but if you believe that you are dead wrong.  There is a huge amount of hate among the Democrats.  I daresay that many Democrats hate George Bush more than they hate Usama bin Laden and the Islamic terrorists, and would rather see the terrorists be successful than Bush.

Republican hatred for Clinton generally stopped at the water's edge.  Republicans supported Clinton on his foreign policy, even when he was committing troops to superfluous missions, like Kosovo, which the Europeans should have handled themselves if they such great pretensions to being a world power.

But in their usual fashion, the Democrats have sought to blame the president for foreign policy failures to which the previous Democratic administration contributed.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 09:02:13 AM »

I'm glad to help.

I actually find Ann Coulter pretty funny, even if some of what she says goes too far.  Sometimes, I laugh out loud when I read her columns.  I love her line about how there hasn't been a documented rabbit attack against a US citizen since Carter left office.

I remember the infamous "rabbit attack" on Carter, and how he was ridiculed for it.  He was already considered a weak president, and now he couldn't even fight off a rabbit, and animal not known for attacking humans!  It was a defining moment for Carter, if unfairly so.  Of course his problems as president had nothing to do with the rabbit attack, but it was symbolic for a lot of people.  If he couldn't defend himself against a usually docile animal, how could he protect us from the Russians and against Iranian terrorism.  The answer is that he couldn't.

I don't take Ann Coulter too seriously though.  As I said, she is at least half an entertainer as opposed to a serious commentator, and she is looking for attention.

Rabbit attack. That was before my days but I never heard of it. It surely sounds strange.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2004, 10:48:25 AM »

Gustaf, I respect your opinions but if you believe that you are dead wrong.  There is a huge amount of hate among the Democrats.  I daresay that many Democrats hate George Bush more than they hate Usama bin Laden and the Islamic terrorists, and would rather see the terrorists be successful than Bush.

Republican hatred for Clinton generally stopped at the water's edge.  Republicans supported Clinton on his foreign policy, even when he was committing troops to superfluous missions, like Kosovo, which the Europeans should have handled themselves if they such great pretensions to being a world power.

But in their usual fashion, the Democrats have sought to blame the president for foreign policy failures to which the previous Democratic administration contributed.

I am not talking about individuals, but rather of parties. But I do get a little tired of people acting like, not jsut them personally, but their entire side is somehow morally superior, especially when it is fundamentally untrue. It's just mindlessly partisan and I dislike it when people fail to view things objectively due to their own prejudices and political opnions.

I maintain that Republicans seem to view Democrats as a party with more animosity than the other way around. Bush is an idol of the right, he is a bit like a manifest god, so he attracts a lot of hate and suspicion from Democrats. Kerry is a nobody, so comparing Bush-hate with Kerry-hate makes little sense. The same goes for Clinton really.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2004, 11:10:41 AM »

I really don't think you're right, Gustaf.  I deal with Democrats on a daily basis, and I find that while they hate Republicans, they are usually unable to come up with a coherent reason why.

They hate Bush but are usually unable to really explain why.  In some ways, it's like the Republican hatred for Clinton.

Democrats tend to have a "blame American first" philosophy, so their hatred of Bush jibes well with that, and they love to blame him for inciting a terrorist attack that was fully planned before he even became president.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2004, 11:43:55 AM »

They hate Bush but are usually unable to really explain why.  In some ways, it's like the Republican hatred for Clinton.

This is a prime example that BOTH parties do the same nasty rhetoric partisan crap.

I do not hate Bush. Hate is such a strong word. I just disagree with his policy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2004, 11:54:04 AM »

I really don't think you're right, Gustaf.  I deal with Democrats on a daily basis, and I find that while they hate Republicans, they are usually unable to come up with a coherent reason why.

Democrats tend to have a "blame American first" philosophy, so their hatred of Bush jibes well with that, and they love to blame him for inciting a terrorist attack that was fully planned before he even became president.

Well, you're a Republican. Most people tend to not understand the other side on issues like this, or think their opponents are evil, ignorant, etc. I find it funny that people say 'Oh, Democrats are so one-eyed they ALL think we're evil, bla, bla'. It's kind of the same thing as most people being convinced that the media is biased against them. Or that there is a dangerous force in society pushing evil agendas. The intresting thing is of course that if you put together the views of different people the Religious Right and the atheist feminazis are BOTH taking over the country SIMULTANEOUSLY.

I'll readily admit that I base my view primarily on what I read on this forum, since I don't live in the US, so I guess my picture might be soewhat skewered.
AndyTheMan
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2004, 08:05:42 AM »

Last November I was looking at an online article on the Gallup website and it said that the vast majority of Americans (80% I think) don't know who Ann Coulter is. She had a favorable rating of about 12% and her unfavorable rating was slightly lower. I am trying to get the article but they won't let me see it unless I sign up for a membership...Well, I'll just go by the article description. Rush had a 51% disapproval rating compared to 34% approval and Al Franken numbers were almost as bad and probably would have been worse if more people would have known who he was. I did buy Al Franken's book attacking Rush when it first came out (which wasn't that funny) and then Al turned into the left version of Rush...not what this country needs right now and I will never again give one cent of my money to anyone who gets rich by exploiting political differences. Certainly they have their choir that they preach to but I will not be one of them. I can make up my own mind.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2004, 01:02:20 PM »

Last November I was looking at an online article on the Gallup website and it said that the vast majority of Americans (80% I think) don't know who Ann Coulter is. She had a favorable rating of about 12% and her unfavorable rating was slightly lower. I am trying to get the article but they won't let me see it unless I sign up for a membership...Well, I'll just go by the article description. Rush had a 51% disapproval rating compared to 34% approval and Al Franken numbers were almost as bad and probably would have been worse if more people would have known who he was. I did buy Al Franken's book attacking Rush when it first came out (which wasn't that funny) and then Al turned into the left version of Rush...not what this country needs right now and I will never again give one cent of my money to anyone who gets rich by exploiting political differences. Certainly they have their choir that they preach to but I will not be one of them. I can make up my own mind.

Exactly. The exploitation of political differences has been down right nasty on BOTH side.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies