Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 01:20:01 am
News: 2020 Presidential Predictions (General) are now active.

Atlas Forum
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: TG, Cath, TJ in Oregon, Speaker YE)
  Is all the John Delaney talk on the 2020 board rather pathetic?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: Is all the John Delaney talk on the 2020 board rather pathetic?
#1Yes  
#2No  
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Is all the John Delaney talk on the 2020 board rather pathetic?  (Read 1240 times)
Kalwejt
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 04:23:36 pm »

To be fair

1. It's mostly ironic
2. It's only because he declared first, with like 3 and a half years to go
Coraxion
YaBB God
Ethiopia

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 04:41:32 pm »

The Steve Bullock talk is even weirder.

Dude, we get it, you're not impressed by him
Neither am I, and unlike you, I'm a Democrat.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
No, the election was lost because the-then FBI Director thought it would be a great idea to write a letter to Congress about a situation involving a presidential candidate - 11 days before the election and without classifying the letter.
LMAO @ the idea that people like Bullock and Brown are more progressive than Gillibrand and Harris.
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »

No, the election was lost because the-then FBI Director thought it would be a great idea to write a letter to Congress about a situation involving a presidential candidate - 11 days before the election and without classifying the letter.
LMAO @ the idea that people like Bullock and Brown are more progressive than Gillibrand and Harris.

1) I'm trying to converse with TN Vol, because I actually expect him to give a coherent and somewhat polite response, so please bud out?

2) I don't care that you're a Democrat.  I definitely don't think it's cool or some status symbol, and I would never lay such a distinction on myself (as you seem to be implying I am?).

3) You can believe that about Comey all you want.  The leadership in "your" party seems to be smarter than you, though, and got the kick in the nads and wised up.  You have Chuck Schumer going in a 100% populist direction, returing to the party's roots and real purpose, in response to Trump, and I think a lot of Democrats are thankful that people like you - who seem to only be intent on describing themselves as "liberals" because they think it bestows some label of being "enlightened" while seemingly not caring at all about the ideals of past Democrats - are losing influence in the party.

4) I didn't say Bullock was more progressive than either one of those people, are you drunk posting right now or something?  I said Bullock was a solid progressive, and he is.  He's not a moderate, he's definitely not right-of-center, and representing the cultural attitudes of his rural state doesn't make him either of those things.
Coraxion
YaBB God
Ethiopia

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 05:52:53 pm »

1) I'm trying to converse with TN Vol, because I actually expect him to give a coherent and somewhat polite response, so please bud out?

2) I don't care that you're a Democrat.  I definitely don't think it's cool or some status symbol, and I would never lay such a distinction on myself (as you seem to be implying I am?).

3) You can believe that about Comey all you want.  The leadership in "your" party seems to be smarter than you, though, and got the kick in the nads and wised up.  You have Chuck Schumer going in a 100% populist direction, returing to the party's roots and real purpose, in response to Trump, and I think a lot of Democrats are thankful that people like you - who seem to only be intent on describing themselves as "liberals" because they think it bestows some label of being "enlightened" while seemingly not caring at all about the ideals of past Democrats - are losing influence in the party.

4) I didn't say Bullock was more progressive than either one of those people, are you drunk posting right now or something?  I said Bullock was a solid progressive, and he is.  He's not a moderate, he's definitely not right-of-center, and representing the cultural attitudes of his rural state doesn't make him either of those things.
1. You aren't under any obligation to respond if you don't want to.

2. We're talking about the Democratic primaries.

3. Returning to the Party's past roots... like Jim Crow and the Confederacy. No thank you.

4. It wasn't necessarily in response to you. It's just a narrative that I've seen in general here.
Dynamite Shovel
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 07:24:48 pm »

To be fair

1. It's mostly ironic

"Ironic" support is also very pathetic.

Example: "Ironic" Trump support.
❤️❤️❤️
omegascarlet
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 07:51:37 pm »

To be fair

1. It's mostly ironic

TIL John Delaney is equivalent to Trump.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 11:44:31 pm »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 11:47:29 pm by MT Treasurer »

Dude, we get it, you're not impressed by him ... but the talk about Bullock 2020 isn't weird at all.  Democrats just lost an election because they are even more out-of-touch with "Middle America" than they initially thought, and he's a red state governor who's also a solid progressive.  It's so cliche to bring up his name as a darkhorse that "weird" should be the last thing coming to mind.

You're overthinking it. I'm not saying I hate him or something like that - in fact, I don't mind that he's the governor. I'll admit that I'd prefer it if he didn't get involved in national politics, though. Despite the fact that that I disagree with him on some issues, he hasn't been that bad a governor and the state could definitely do worse than him (and has done worse in the past, lol). I'm also not denying that he'd be a stronger candidate than Clinton, that should be obvious. My point was more that the Steve Bullock who would run for president wouldn't be the same Steve Bullock who ran for governor in 2012 and 2016. If Bullock somehow won the D nomination, it would mean that the entire Democratic establishment got behind him (that's the only way he could win the Democratic nomination), and in that case that he would lose a lot of his potential crossover appeal. It's the same story with people like Brian Sandoval or Charlie Baker or whatever: Any scenario in which those people win the Republican nomination also means that they lose a lot of their crossover appeal in a GE.

Also, Montana might be a red state at the presidential level, but it definitely isn't in down-ballot races (virtually all of which are held in presidential years, mind you). There's a long tradition of progressive politics in the state, and I kind of doubt Bullock could have won a gubernatorial race in a state like Ohio or Iowa (or even Wisconsin) in 2010 or 2014. The defining issues which voters in a state like Montana care about in a gubernatorial race aren't the same issues Democratic primary voters in MS, VA, OH, etc. will care about in a presidential race (e.g. social issues and foreign policy will obviously play a more prominent role in a presidential campaign than in a governor's race in MT).

Regarding the direction the Democratic Party will take... well, we'll see whether you are right. If the Congressional and Gubernatorial primaries this year are any indication, it doesn't appear that "populist" candidates not backed by the Democratic establishment have been doing very well so far. And let's not forget that Sanders lost badly in the primaries.
Dynamite Shovel
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 08:37:16 am »

To be fair

1. It's mostly ironic

TIL John Delaney is equivalent to Trump.

That's not the point at all, just that "ironic" support is lame and not funny.
Dynamite Shovel
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 08:46:54 am »

But anyway, I'd rank this as only the second worst meme currently on Atlas, the worst obviously is the New Hampshire women thing which is not only quite blatantly sexist but has produced about as much humor as an ISIS beheading video.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies