Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:05:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556528 times)
Meursault
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: May 04, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »

I vacillate a lot, becausd I hate idees fixees. Most of the time my views hover somewhere between egoist anarchism, Sorellian syndicalism, the more intellectual anti-biologist strains of protofascism, and surrealism. All of it is aesthetic. Politics is aesthetic.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1001 on: May 05, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »

I'm a general progressive on most issues. End the war on drugs, down with Reaganomics, restore the New Deal, death to neoliberals, nationwide legal gay marriage, stringently pro-choice, peace and love, yada yada yada.

I suppose the big difference between me and well, every other progressive on earth, is that I support a more authoritarian government - a dictatorship if need be - to enact these policies. This is because, democracy, while a good idea in theory, is far too easy to be corrupted for the interests of the power-hungry elite. The corporate media manipulates the people into voting against their own interests distressingly often. In an authoritarian government, however, the manipulation of the people would have little to no effect, because the people would not control the government to begin with.

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

So, there's that. I dunno what you call my ideology. Authoritarian paternalist progressivism?

I think "the worst" suffices for a name.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1002 on: May 06, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-life, with exceptions for rape, incest, and the mother's health.
Gay Marriage: There is no fathomable reason not to legalize it.
Drugs: Legalize marijuana, lower the drinking age to 18.
Stem Cell Research: Stem Cell research saves lives.
Death Penalty: For capital punishment in extreme cases (e.g. Murder)
Gun control: Institute universal background checks, as well as a registry.
Affirmative Action: Race based AA is nothing more than reverse discrimination.
Prostitution: Do not legalize.
Euthanasia: Terminally ill patients should be allowed to end their lives.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Do not increase it and tie it to inflation
Welfare: Cut welfare off after 2 years.
Right-to-Work: Fully support Right-to-Work.
Taxation: Cut taxes for everyone.
Healthcare: Privatize it.
Social Security: Privatize it.
Trade: Free trade is great.
Education: More funding to education, allow school vouchers.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes, with amendments.

Foreign Policy and National Security
Afghanistan: Pull out.
Iraq: It's not an issue anymore.
Iran: Diplomacy is the best course of action.
Syria: The United States has no interest getting involved.
Cuba: End the travel ban and trade embargo.
Military Spending: Do not cut.
PATRIOT Act: A disgusting bill. Repeal certain sections.
NSA Spying: Blatantly unconstitutional.
Palestine: Recognize Palestine.
Israel: Israel is our ally.
Immigration: Make the legal immigration process much simpler, deport all illegal aliens.
Guantanamo Bay: it's an embarrassing chapter in American history and it needs to be shut down

Environment
Climate Change: Climate change is real.
Green Energy: Invest in alternate energy. It's good for the environment, creates jobs, and helps us achieve energy independence
Keystone XL Pipeline: It's worth it.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Don't abolish it.
Gerrymandering: All districts should be drawn using the shortest split-line method.
Term limits: We already have term limits, it's called voting out incumbents. Legislating is a complicated process, and we don't need congress filled with inexperienced legislators.
Voter ID: Should be mandatory.
Compulsory Voting: It creates more problems than it solve.
Voter Registration: Voter registration should be automatic.
Statehood: If a majority of citizens of a territory support statehood, than that territory should receive statehood.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1003 on: May 19, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »

Social Policy
AbortionSad/b] I am pro-life. However, I do not believe it's within my rights to take this away from someone. I would rather incentivize adoption and make it a more attractive option for mothers who do not want to raise a child.
Drugs: My main concern with this is pushing people away from jail who are users and pushing the distributors towards it. This would be done through decriminalization of some, if not all, recreational drugs, and placing very strong laws on the production and distribution of the drugs.
Censorship: Thoroughly against it.
Gay Marriage: Pro-gay marriage. More or less I don't see why it's my business. Marriage isn't a religious institution historically. I don't see why I should distort the facts to maintain an antiquated social norm.
Death penalty: State issue. I don't believe I could carry this out in anything other than an extreme circumstance, ie Osama or Hitler.
Prostitution: State issue.
Church and State: Fine with where we're currently at, but common sense should rule this debate. If a town wants to put up a Christmas tree, let them.
Stem cell research: Fully support this and the advancement of science in general.
PATRIOT Act: Repeal it.
Gun control: I'm fine with the imposition of some simple restrictions, ie background checks at gun shows. But, overall, I would want it to be coupled with a guarantee of the security of rights to gun owners and advancement of mental health studies.
Assisted suicide: No.
Gambling: I'd be in favor of some gambling reforms; however, I'm not sure what they'd be.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: 20 for SCOTUS judges, 12 for Senate members, and 8 for House members.
Voting Age: 18
Campaign Finance Reform: Ban lobbying nearly completely and restrict donations to certain periods.
Gerrymandering: Proportional.
Voter ID: I'm very torn on this.

Economic Issues
Welfare: Reform social security, medicare, medicaid and replace Obamacare. Social security would be replaced for those under 40 with a private fund. Those private funds would have a safety net of a certain amount of dollars. Those making more than a certain amount will not receive SS. Most of my health reform will be discussed in the appropriate section. In terms of the impoverished, those who cannot help themselves should be given aid, but those who are generally poor should be pushed toward employment by offering skill training and like programs.
Unions: They're basically dead. Localized unions without a nation, or state-wide, apparatus can be beneficial.
Privatization: In favor of some privatization efforts.
Environment: Very much pro-environmental progress. I may be skeptical of global warming timelines; however, there are only positive externalities to the progress of this. It will also help us grow our economy substantially if we become the leader in green energy.
Minimum Wage: Australian, age based, system.
Taxation: Cut the death tax to 10%. Cut corporate taxes and close loopholes. I'm in favor of taxes raises and cuts depending on the economic situation.
Healthcare: Payment reform is required. Doctors should receive a salary, not payment based on the services they perform. Near complete elimination of paperwork. The costs associated with PAPER are astronomical. This baffles me. Deincentivize negative life choices like cigarette smoking. Cut the state restrictions on insurance companies and place national reforms on the industry. Tax reform on employer insurance coverage. Tort reform. Voucher, or similar, system with Medicare.
I would also be infavor of an outside the box idea, like enrolling in an exchange of competitive bidding where companies would bid to cover your service. This would be a more free market option, but I'm not sure how it would work.
Trade: Free trade.
Embargo: End the embargo with Cuba. It will push them towards capitalism
Pork: Ban
Subsidies: In favor of them if they will return either a highly beneficial addition to the economy or something that is fantastic, but otherwise impossible.
Military: Cut the waste. Efficiency is key for me in every part of the budget.

Foreign Policy
War: It's a foreign policy tool. One that I would use if needed. That said, I strongly prefer the use of other means to support the interests of this country.
Israel-Palestine: Recognize Israel and negotiate an Arab mega-state similar to the Ottoman Empire and what was being planned with Hussein bin Ali.
Draft: No. No. No.
UN: The UN is fine, but I don't take them seriously. I'd do what I want.
Nukes: Support a world wide proliferation effort.
Foreign Aid: Support nations who need it. These nations do not need hefty sums to derive heavy returns. However, I would generally support a substitution of American products and training aid to nations.

Its really interesting how there is a bigger trend to consider oneself  pro-life but not being interested in arresting people for abortions. A trend for the better in that people are looking for workable and non-violent solutions?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1004 on: May 23, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »

Stem Cell Research:Absolutely opposed

Do you mean embryonic stem cell research or literally all stem cell research? If all, please explain as I've never encountered anyone with that view before.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1005 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:31 PM »

I know there's no way it's realistically happening but I'm a Mormon and I don't drink caffeine.

I live in a suburb and don't own a gun. Therefore gun ownership should be legal but strongly regulated.

I get the joke, but isn't that your actual view on gun control? Tongue

Oh, yes.
GaussLaw
« Reply #1006 on: May 29, 2014, 10:36:17 PM »

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

It's people like you that make me want to dash to the GOP, even though I disagree a lot with their policies.

I'll get more detailed later, but the essence is:
Foreign policy:  depends on the situation; support strong military but also one that does not get involved easily
Social Issues:  I'm liberal on abortion/gay marriage, but oppose legalizing drugs/prostitution and support restrictions like Stop and Frisk, wiretapping, etc.(tend to value security over civil liberty, except in egregious violations like the NSA)
Economic issues:  Reform Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security, invest more in alternative energies, keep tax code progressive but reduce business taxes, expand aid to poor, promote upward mobility
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1007 on: May 30, 2014, 08:10:28 PM »

Reform Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security

expand aid to poor, promote upward mobility

Something's not right here...
GaussLaw
« Reply #1008 on: May 30, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »

Reform Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security

expand aid to poor, promote upward mobility

Something's not right here...

Reform doesn't necessarily mean gut.  For instance, I am in favor of means-testing so richer people are not eligible for as much in social security benefits as well as possibly removing the income cap for social security taxes.  Medicare/Medicaid need reform to keep them solvent and not blowing a hole in our budget, as anyone who reads CBO graphs can attest to. 

We spend far less on a lot of aid to the poor compared to "the big 3"(I know Medicaid helps poor people, but I'm talking about a lot of community-based stuff as well as certain investments in education).

For instance, I favor a strong, strong investment in Boys and Girls clubs for after-school programs and a significant emphasis on STEM fields. With regards to upward mobility, in addition to education, I am a big believer in spending more on job training and vocational education for all ages.  A lot of money should also be deployed on the ground to help address root problems with gangs.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1009 on: May 31, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2014, 04:10:20 PM by Senator Meiji (D-NC) »

Socially: I'm personally fairly conservative on social issues, but a lot of that's overridden by some sort of libertarianism. I'm not a SJW, I don't support removing religious references from currency, I support exemptions for religious organizations/charities from the contraception mandate, and I support a ban on abortions after around 20 weeks. But I'm pro-SSM, anti-death penalty, and want to legalize assisted suicide - I don't like the government getting to decide who gets to die and when and who can get married. Not a really cohesive policy here - mushy centrism. Not the stuff I like to talk about.

Domestically: A lot more liberal than my position on social issues. I oppose internet regulation, the Patriot Act, gerrymandering, drug prohibition, voter ID, and Citizens United. Probably the only ones I lean conservative on is opposition to increased gun control (especially things like an 'assault weapons' ban) and race-based affirmative action. I support term limits so long as they're not strict term limits - I think 8 years is too short for a legislator, but something longer (double that?) could work. It's about balancing legislative experience with turnover. I support most of Obamacare, but health policy isn't an area of expertise.

Economics: Raise the minimum wage and index it to inflation. Condition welfare on working, looking for work, or being enrolled in job training or education programs. Stop subsidies for massive agribusinesses. Protect pension plans for government employees. The military is where we can make the most cuts without harming the average American. Reform the corporate tax system to go after companies like General Electric, and reduce our rates in relation to whatever revenues we can get from that - having the world's highest rate doesn't make sense, but neither does having major companies avoiding taxes.

Foreign Policy: Much more peaceful than we have now. Cut military spending, ground the drones, stop spying on our allies, stop giving ridiculous amounts of aid to Israel, end the embargo on Cuba, give constitutional trials to foreign terror suspects, and so on. I support engaging with the UN.

Education: I support increasing education funding. I like the concept of Common Core but believe it has been implemented extremely poorly.

Environment: My environmental policy is generally pro-science and pro-clean energy. I support taking steps to incentivize the development of green energy, I oppose expanding offshore drilling, and I believe in global warming. I'm pro-fracking, pro-nuke, pro-Keystone and pro-GMO, however, because they don't prevent anywhere near the kind of environmental threat global warming does. I support feeding the hungry and new sources of clean(er) energy.

Immigration: Give a temporary amnesty for non-violent criminals currently working in the US, give their children citizenship (and in-state tuition), and offer a path to citizenship. They should get access to the same basic services (subsidized healthcare) we give to others. I oppose forcing them to learn English or deporting them on minor charges - focus on just deporting violent criminals.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1010 on: June 01, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »

I'll try:

Social Policy
Abortion: Absolutely opposed. Pro-life 100%
Drugs: All should be illegal, including tobacco and alcohol. Caffeine should be legal but strongly regulated.
Censorship: It's absolutely necessary to protect our children. I have a two-year-old niece so I know.
Gay Marriage: Absolutely opposed. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Civil unions are a state issue. Just don't call it marriage.
Death penalty: Absolutely opposed.
Prostitution: Absolutely opposed. It's legal in my state but not my county.
Church and State: Freedom of religion for all.
Stem cell research: Absolutely opposed. The government under no circumstances should violate the sanctity of human life.
PATRIOT Act: Necessary to keep us safe.
Gun control: As an NRA member and firearms enthusiast, keep your hands off my guns government!
Assisted suicide: Absolutely opposed. (See Abortion, Death Penalty and Stem Cells)
Gambling: Absolutely opposed. Used to be a big gambler in college though.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: Support them. Get the old bastards out of office!
Voting Age: 18 is fine with me
Campaign Finance Reform: Absolutely necessary to make sure everyone has a fair shot, eliminate the influence of corporate fat-cats on politics and leave the decision to the people!
Gerrymandering: Should be done by a non-partisan commission. Strongly support the Tanner Proposal.
Voter ID: Absolutely opposed as it disenfranchises the vote of the poor and minorities.

Economic Issues
Welfare: Strongly support it. Makes sure everyone has a fair shot in society.
Unions: Strongly support them! Equal rights for the workers!
Privatization: The Government needs to control some industries. The fat-cats can't become too powerful.
Environment: Global warming and pollution are big problems. The government needs to act on them or the earth will suffer.
Minimum Wage: Raise it! Even $10 is too low in my opinion. Make it at least $12.
Taxation: Tax hikes for the rich! Everyone needs to pay their fair share, especially the top 1% as they have much more to pay.
Healthcare: Obamacare is a great idea but horribly executed (plus it promotes abortion and contraception) so I oppose it. I strongly support universal healthcare though. The US needs to have something like the British NHS, not Obamacare.
Trade: Needs to have some restrictions.
Embargo: My co-worker's Cuban and we both agree the embargo's absolutely neccesary.
Pork: Not really sure what that is??
Subsidies: If the government was to pay for something why not?
Military: Increase spending. It's a dangerous world out there!

Foreign Policy
War: Supported Iraq when it happened. Think we should stay in Afghanistan. Consider myself fairly hawkish. BTW, my dad and two of my uncles are Vietnam Veterans. Both my grandads fought in WWII.
Israel-Palestine: Pro-Israel. The Jews need a homeland after the devastation the Holocaust caused them. The Muslims already have the rest of the peninsula plus Central Asia, half of Africa and Turkey.
Draft: Unless there's another World War, no.
UN: I like the UN but think it needs to be much stronger.
Nukes: Get Iran and North Korea away from them!!!
Foreign Aid: If a country is in trouble, we have to help them!
You sound like a New Deal-style populist.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1011 on: June 03, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2014, 09:20:56 AM by Governor Cranberry »

I just realized I didn't do this when I registered, so here we go:

Social Policy:
Abortion: Already starting with a tough one. I find it quite funny how everyone here has total positions, yet I don't think any of them would know what to do if they were in that situation. I think, you must be really desperate if you consider it, and even more desperate if you want to do it. And the guilt and shame you have for the rest of your life must be very hard to bear. So totally legalizing it? I don't know, maybe...
GaySame Sex Marriage: It's a shame that we even have to discuss this in the 21st century. Of course legalize!
Drugs: Well, I think we can all agree the War on Drugs has failed. And should it really be the government's responsibility to save one from oneself? (I know I have a really libertarian approach here) So, legalize most of them, I'd say, maybe all of them, I don't really know. De-criminalize of course all drug-issues.  
Stem Cell Research: I don't think the government should be in the way of scientific progress.
Death Penalty: I for one don't think I'm in the position to judge over a person's right to live. I don't particular like the death penalty, even for the most horrendous crimes.
Gun control: Excessive control, but more important educate young people that they use their guns, if they have to do, in an appropiate way.
Prostitution: Well, if they do it willingly, why not? Stronger measures against pimps and forced prostritution, though.
Euthanasia: If a person, or this person's next relative should the person not be able to react anymore, really wants it; why should we let them suffer?

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage:Raise it to 14$ for now, then bind it to economical growth rate. Rise other wages until a certain level by the same percentage, though.
Welfare: Everyone should have a low basic income exactly or a bit over the poverty line, which should be below the lowest wages however. People working part-time and earning less than this basic income should be paid a part of it, that makes their income higher.
Right-to-Work: Such laws are barbaric.
Taxation: Cut taxes for the poor, increase them for the rich.
Healthcare: Completely public-owned single-payer system.
Social Security: Keep your private hands off social security!
Trade: The idea of Free Trade is great, the world however is uneuqal, and not until every nation is at about the same level, and every human being has the same chances, free trade will always be at the expense of one or the other trade partner.                          
Education: All forms of education shall be free, as education is the key to a nation's success. Especially fund lesser priviliged areas, while no further funding to more priviliged areas, until every student has equal chances and an equal position to start his life from.
Balanced Budget Amendment: As long as a government is able to repay its debts, why shouldn't it make new, when it needs money? The whole system is odd, and at some time will crash, but until then - why not making new debts? It is evidently working, as long as the economy is working.

Afghanistan: Should have never got in.
Iraq: Should have never got in.
Iran: Diplomacy is far better than a war.
Syria: It's very hard to tell who's bad and who's good in Syria. Help the people with huminitarian aid, but else keep out.
Cuba: Oh come on... If you legitemately want to keep the embargo up, you should make one to China as well.
Military Spending: Cut extremely.
PATRIOT Act: I can't really combine that piece of legilsation with the american ideal of Freedom, you all are so proud of. Can you help me, 'muricans?
NSA Spying: Not even considering that they are spying on allies, I wouldn't want that as American. Practically the same answer as above.
Palestine: Should have been recognized a long time ago. (My government is no better here, though.)
Israel: Of course, Isreal has a perfectly legitimate right to exist. It should however not recieve any better treatment than Palestine. (Here you have it - I'm a nazi)
Immigration: Make it miuch easier to come to your country, 'muricans. (After all, maybe at some point I would like to get there too Tongue)
Guantanamo Bay: Well, apart that the area is technically Cuban territory, that prison there is a violation of about every international treaty I can come up with. I'd be ashamed if I were an American.

Environment
Climate Change: Climate change is happening. We should do everything we can to slow it down, and minimize its effects.
Green Energy: In my dream world, the total electricity would be gained by water, wind, sun, geothermics... every single one of these futuristic technolgies little green men from sector X7B-T will teach us of.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Kill it with fire!

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: It makes presidential elections different from every other country's. That's about the only positive thing I can come up with.
Gerrymandering: Multi-member districts drawn by an independent, non-partisan comission.
Term limits: I think the current way of doing things is sufficient.
Voter ID: I'm quite a fan of the Austrian system - you get sent your invitation to voting, you take that letter to the poll, you vote. Plus - voting per letter is the future!
Compulsory Voting: If people don't want to vote and decide their future, why should they be forced to?
Statehood: If the people in the territory are for statehood - boom, you become a state. Puerto Rico and DC should be - DC maybe as part of Maryland.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1012 on: June 10, 2014, 04:47:56 AM »

Social Policy:
Abortion: Legal up to 24 weeks on demand. Legal after that in cases of rape, incest, or if the mother's life is in danger. Sex education in schools. Free birth control. Discourage people from having children they can't afford.
Same Sex Marriage: Legalize it nationwide.
Drugs: Legalize and regulate marijuana. Decriminalize use of other drugs but make their manufacture and sale illegal.
Stem Cell Research: The government should fund fetal stem cell research using unused embryos from IVF treatments (as long as IVF is still legal, which it shouldn't be)
Death Penalty: Only for serious crimes, multiple murders, etc.
Gun control: Weird position. Repeal second amendment but don't ban guns. Guns should be a privilege, not a right.
Affirmative Action: End affirmative action. I'm open to reparations for those still living who were excluded from the original Social Security program (mostly minorities) and for those put in jail for non-violent drug offenses (largely minorities)
Prostitution: Legalize and regular. Prostitution isn't particularly more dehumanizing than cleaning toilets and it pays much much better.
Euthanasia: Legalize for adults who can get cleared by a psychologist.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Minimum wage should be $15
Welfare: Everyone should get a guaranteed minimum income of about $1000 a month. Everyone. If they work, they get their pay on top of the $1000.
Right-to-Work: I'm for right to work. Most unions are pretty crappy, also, I think unions are a little too libertarian-y for my taste. The state should ensure people are paid a fair wage for their work, they shouldn't have to fight for it.
Taxation: Tax the rich more. Even if you take a billionaire 75% he will still have more money than he could spend in his life.
Healthcare: Socialized medical and dental. Also take over medical schools. Free tuition to anyone smart enough to pass.
Social Security: Unnecessary under my plan because everyone's getting the free money already.
Trade: Free trade only with nations with an roughly comparable standard of living and who agree to an international minimum wage.                       
Education: National curriculum.  Free college to those smart enough to be admitted.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Balancing the budget has no real benefit other than allowing right-wing politicians to brag.

Afghanistan: The invasion was justified but we should get out now. Back as secular of a dictator as we can find.
Iraq: The invasion was unjustified. Back as secular of a dictator as we can find.
Iran: Talk to them but don't be super friendly.
Syria: Stay out of it for the most part. Encourage the secular opposition to make a deal with the government.
Cuba: Normalize relations.
Military Spending: Cut extremely. Get rid of all bases in Europe.
PATRIOT Act: Mostly fine. If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't be scared. The state has no interest in harassing innocent people.
NSA Spying: Same as PATRIOT Act.
Palestine: Mostly horrible people but you can't kill them so I guess just try to encourage moderation, however fruitless it might be.
Israel: The two state solution is dead. One state will happen sooner or later. Hopefully Arab moderates + Jewish moderates can outmaneuver the divided theocrats.
Immigration: I'm for immigration as long as the immigrants are smart and culturally liberal. As of right now, most of the people we get are semi-literate and only qualified to clean toilets. All they do is drive down wages and tax the welfare system. They don't even improve their own lives that much.
Guantanamo Bay: I'm fine with torture as long as we're sure the people are guilty. I'm sure we accidentally rounded up some Afghan turd farmers, which is unfortunate.

Environment
Climate Change: Pollution is bad.
Green Energy: Pollution is bad.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Jobs aren't worth it.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Get rid of it. I don't even mind that it's elitist (I'm elitist), it's just that at this point, it's basically random. People no longer vote based on how large their state is (if they ever did at all) so it's outlived it's purpose.
Gerrymandering: PR
Term limits: Anti-democratic.
Voter ID: Yes as long as we have free national ID cards.
Compulsory Voting: No strong feelings. How about make it mandatory but have no punishment for not doing it?
Statehood: DC should be a state. Puerto Rico should either be independent or a state, none of this both ways crap. If they want to become a state though, their school system has to start teaching primarily in English. If you want to be part of a country, you have to be able to communicate with most people in that country.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1013 on: June 10, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »

And the award for delusional position of the century goes to...

Social Policy:
Abortion: Legal up to 24 weeks on demand. Legal after that in cases of rape, incest, or if the mother's life is in danger. Sex education in schools. Free birth control. Discourage people from having children they can't afford.
Same Sex Marriage: Legalize it nationwide.
Drugs: Legalize and regulate marijuana. Decriminalize use of other drugs but make their manufacture and sale illegal.
Stem Cell Research: The government should fund fetal stem cell research using unused embryos from IVF treatments (as long as IVF is still legal, which it shouldn't be)
Death Penalty: Only for serious crimes, multiple murders, etc.
Gun control: Weird position. Repeal second amendment but don't ban guns. Guns should be a privilege, not a right.
Affirmative Action: End affirmative action. I'm open to reparations for those still living who were excluded from the original Social Security program (mostly minorities) and for those put in jail for non-violent drug offenses (largely minorities)
Prostitution: Legalize and regular. Prostitution isn't particularly more dehumanizing than cleaning toilets and it pays much much better.
Euthanasia: Legalize for adults who can get cleared by a psychologist.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Minimum wage should be $15
Welfare: Everyone should get a guaranteed minimum income of about $1000 a month. Everyone. If they work, they get their pay on top of the $1000.
Right-to-Work: I'm for right to work. Most unions are pretty crappy, also, I think unions are a little too libertarian-y for my taste. The state should ensure people are paid a fair wage for their work, they shouldn't have to fight for it.
Taxation: Tax the rich more. Even if you take a billionaire 75% he will still have more money than he could spend in his life.
Healthcare: Socialized medical and dental. Also take over medical schools. Free tuition to anyone smart enough to pass.
Social Security: Unnecessary under my plan because everyone's getting the free money already.
Trade: Free trade only with nations with an roughly comparable standard of living and who agree to an international minimum wage.                      
Education: National curriculum.  Free college to those smart enough to be admitted.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Balancing the budget has no real benefit other than allowing right-wing politicians to brag.

Afghanistan: The invasion was justified but we should get out now. Back as secular of a dictator as we can find.
Iraq: The invasion was unjustified. Back as secular of a dictator as we can find.
Iran: Talk to them but don't be super friendly.
Syria: Stay out of it for the most part. Encourage the secular opposition to make a deal with the government.
Military Spending: Cut extremely. Get rid of all bases in Europe.
PATRIOT Act: Mostly fine. If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't be scared. The state has no interest in harassing innocent people.
Palestine: Mostly horrible people but you can't kill them so I guess just try to encourage moderation, however fruitless it might be.
Israel: The two state solution is dead. One state will happen sooner or later. Hopefully Arab moderates + Jewish moderates can outmaneuver the divided theocrats.
Immigration: I'm for immigration as long as the immigrants are smart and culturally liberal. As of right now, most of the people we get are semi-literate and only qualified to clean toilets. All they do is drive down wages and tax the welfare system. They don't even improve their own lives that much.
Guantanamo Bay: I'm fine with torture as long as we're sure the people are guilty. I'm sure we accidentally rounded up some Afghan turd farmers, which is unfortunate.

Environment
Climate Change: Pollution is bad.
Green Energy: Pollution is bad.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Jobs aren't worth it.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Get rid of it. I don't even mind that it's elitist (I'm elitist), it's just that at this point, it's basically random. People no longer vote based on how large their state is (if they ever did at all) so it's outlived it's purpose.
Gerrymandering: PR
Term limits: Anti-democratic.
Voter ID: Yes as long as we have free national ID cards.
Compulsory Voting: No strong feelings. How about make it mandatory but have no punishment for not doing it?
Statehood: DC should be a state. Puerto Rico should either be independent or a state, none of this both ways crap. If they want to become a state though, their school system has to start teaching primarily in English. If you want to be part of a country, you have to be able to communicate with most people in that country.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #1014 on: June 10, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »

You had to quote the entire post to point that out?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1015 on: June 11, 2014, 01:43:01 AM »

Social Policy:
Abortion: Legal on demand, but do everything to promote birth control so that there is actual teen pregnancy
Same Sex Marriage: Federal legalization. We shouldn't be running our society on a book.
Drugs: Legalize marijuana. I see many functioning members of society who smoke, and it's really not that bad. Don't punish them because some sh*thead gets behind a car.
Stem Cell Research: Fund it.
Death Penalty: Abolish it.
Gun control: I only go as far as background checks, and even then it took a crazy guy being a mile away from me to fully embrace them.
Affirmative Action: Status quo.
Prostitution: Legalize/regulate. I don't see it as demoralizing at all.
Euthanasia: Legalize, as long as they're cleared by a psych.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: $15 and a union.
Welfare: Around the poverty line, but below the minimum wage.
Right-to-Work: Horrible.
Taxation: The rich can afford high taxes.
Healthcare: Single-payer, with a ban on for-profit healthcare. Obamacare does not go far enough.
Social Security: Keep out of the corporation's hands.
Trade: Fundamentally unequal.                   
Education: Free college education for those above a 3.0 in high school. Encourage vo-tech schools, do not fund religious schools of any kind.
Balanced Budget Amendment: No.

Afghanistan: Supported initially, but should have left a while ago.
Iraq: Never should have entered. Was the result of a former oil baron using the US Army as his personal mercenaries to further his own personal wealth.
Iran: Encourage good relations.
Syria: Stay out. Let NATO decide.
Military Spending: Cut back on nonessentials.
PATRIOT Act: A blatant violation of our constitutional rights.
Palestine: Stay out.
Israel: Stay out.
Immigration: Provide a path to citizenship for nonviolent immigrants. We're America, goddamnit. Pass a DREAM Act, and give families citizenship.
Guantanamo Bay: Should be shut down.

Environment
Climate Change: We're hastening it.
Green Energy: Obvious yes.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Why bear the risks of Canadian oil being exported to other countries?

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Undemocratic.
Gerrymandering: Make it illegal.
Term limits: Undemocratic.
Voter ID: Undemocratic.
Compulsory Voting: Not really big on this.
Voter Registration: Voter registration should be compulsory, though.
Statehood: DC should become a state. No taxation without representation. Puerto Rico should be allowed to decide whether to become their own country or not. Allow the Pacific Territories to become states if they want to as well.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #1016 on: June 18, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2014, 09:29:14 PM by Rockefeller GOP »

SOCIAL POLICY
Abortion: I'm pro-choice except in the third trimester.  If it's third trimester, I think it should only be legal in the cases of rape, incest or if the life of the mother is in danger.
Same-Sex Marriage: I support it, and I do not think it should be left to any states.
Drugs: I support legalizing marijuana, but I'm not sure about how I feel about harder drugs ... I might support legalizing use of harder drugs only if they're being used in a private home, but again I'm quite conflicted on this.
Stem-Cell Research: I am morally conflicted on it, but at this point I support it, assuming its research helps save lives in the future.
Death Penalty: I oppose it in most cases, but I support it for child rapists/murderers ... Sorry, I'm not going to defend that opinion in any other way than I think those people have lost their right to life.
Gun Control: I support universal background checks but nothing past that ... It infringes on law-abiding citizens' rights and does not work.
Affirmative Action: I'm against it.  It's outdated and racist, both to Whites and minorities.
Prostitution: I oppose it.  There's too much potential for human trafficking, and that's reason enough to oppose it, but the penalty shouldn't be overly severe.
Euthanasia: I guess I support it with serious moral reservations ... It just seems wrong, but if that person is able to consent, who am I to say anything?
Immigration: I support amnesty to those who have families here.  It's just not fiscally practical to deport all of those people ... I also support an easier path to citizenship.  With that said, once we've taken care of that stuff, crack down on border security.

FISCAL POLICY
Minimum Wage: I support tying it to inflation from this point forward, but I do not support making it a comfortable, long term living wage; that defeats the purpose.  It also kills jobs if it gets too high.
Welfare: It's necessary at a certain fundamental level, but it is often abused and needs to be reformed.
Unions: Outdated and irrational organizations that are bad for business.
Taxation: Cut taxes on everyone, including the successful, I mean "rich."  I'm not sure if I support a flat tax, but everyone should pay less than they do now.
Healthcare: Privatize it.
Social Security: It's important and was a decent idea, though it wasn't managed very well (as we're seeing now).
Trade: I would have been a protectionist back in the day because that's what would have been good for American businesses in our developing economy, but in the modern era, American businesses benefit much more from more neoliberal policies that enable free trade.
Education: I support vouchers.
BBA: I support it with a few emergency situations where we could go over our limit.

FOREIGN POLICY
I'm mostly a hawk and a believer in peace through strength.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1017 on: June 18, 2014, 11:44:10 PM »

SOCIAL POLICY
Abortion: I'm pro-choice except in the third trimester.  If it's third trimester, I think it should only be legal in the cases of rape, incest or if the life of the mother is in danger.
Stem-Cell Research: I am morally conflicted on it, but at this point I support it, assuming its research helps save lives in the future.

What leads someone to be morally conflicted over stem cell research and pro-choice at the same time? Generally people who have doubts about the morality of stem cell research are referring to embryonic stem cell research and have a problem with destroying embryos. I haven't really encountered anyone who has unambiguously voiced moral qualms about induced pluripotent "adult" stem cell research. What are your concerns here?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #1018 on: June 19, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »

SOCIAL POLICY
Abortion: I'm pro-choice except in the third trimester.  If it's third trimester, I think it should only be legal in the cases of rape, incest or if the life of the mother is in danger.

What leads someone to be morally conflicted over stem cell research and pro-choice at the same time? Generally people who have doubts about the morality of stem cell research are referring to embryonic stem cell research and have a problem with destroying embryos. I haven't really encountered anyone who has unambiguously voiced moral qualms about induced pluripotent "adult" stem cell research. What are your concerns here?

Exactly what you stated, and I should also say that I have serious moral issues with abortion and most definitely oppose it personally.  However, I have come to the personal decision that no one can make that decision except for the woman; I think it sets a dangerous precedent to force (by law) a human being to extract something from their own body, even if that thing is alive.  I know that might sound like a horrific view to someone who's pro-life, but always remember that abortion is a deeply conflicting view for the majority of people on both sides of the debate.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1019 on: June 19, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2014, 11:32:12 AM by Senator TNF »

Abortion: Allow on demand at any stage of pregnancy, with no questions asked, no frivolous restrictions placed upon it and completely free of charge. I do think that reducing the number of abortions performed is a worthwhile goal, however, and as such I think that access to birth control and contraception be made complete free of charge (and widely distributed), a national day care program established, paid parental and sick leave established, and stipends for stay at home parents.
Drugs: The War on Drugs is a complete failure. Legalize cannabis, psilocybin muhrooms, dimethylytyptamine (DMT), lsysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), MDMA, and mescaline and set the legal purchase age at 16. End imprisonment for all persons currently incarcerated for non-violent drug offenses and use the savings from doing so to create a robust rehabilitation regime for those addicted to the hard stuff. Bring the whole pharmaceutical sector (and the existing recreational drug sector) under the control of a state monopoly and use this state monopoly to control the production of and the flow of drugs, with the intent of eventually phasing out the production of the most harmful substances to human health and wiping out extremely addictive, dangerous substances. Ban drug advertising. Lower the drinking age (and the smoking age) to 16, and repeal existing laws that prevent public intoxication and drinking on public transit.
Censorship: Censorship often does far more harm than it does good and too often conforms to the biases of the censor. I for one think that it's ridiculous that event a hint of nudity gets a program an 'R' or 'TV-MA' rating or banishes it to the wee hours of the morning when extremely violent programs are given laxer ratings in the same context. I oppose all prudery and censorship that represses human sexuality, because doing so is in part responsible for a whole host of ills and limits the right to self-expression. I think that sex and nudity are things that should be normalized, because they are completely and totally normal human activities. To that extent I favor ending television restrictions on broadcasting nudity or sex, ending purchase age requirements for pornographic material, and support sex positive sexual education in schools, that is, normalizing sexuality instead of making it something dirty or repressing it. End radio and television bans on profanity, sexuality, discussion of or onscreen/on air drug use, and nudity.  
Marriage: Same-sex marriage should be made fully legal where it is not legal already, as should polyamorous marriages. We should end financial support of the two-parent nuclear family via the tax code and public propaganda campaign and instead embrace an emerging conception of an alternative family structure, which could include as many or as few persons as those involved like.
Capital Punishment: I oppose capital punishment and likewise oppose life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. I think that Norweigan sentencing laws (which cap the amount of time a person can be incarcerated) are extremely progressive and something that would be worth looking into implementing here in the states.
Sex Work: Legalize sex work and give a large degree of control over the newly legalized sector to sex workers themselves. Some regulation will undoubtedly be required (in the interest of public health) but minimize it where possible to promote worker self-management. Allow for the establishment of co-operative brothels by sex workers, and vigorously prosecute those who abuse or seek to enslave or otherwise take advantage of sex workers.
Church and State: I strongly support restricting religious displays in public spaces and eliminating religious influence in government and public life as a whole. Religious schools and homeschooling should be banned entirely, religious institutions should be taxed, all references to "God" should be removed from official documents of the United States government (and all streets or buildings named after religious figures renamed), religious displays on public property should be banned (as should the posting of the Ten Commandments anywhere on public property), circumcision (both male and female) should be banned entirely, and schools should be held accountable if they proselytize in the classroom or hold prayers before or after any kind of school-wide event. In an ideal world, we'd also drop the Christian calendar in favor of the French Revolutionary calendar, but unfortunately I think that's even less likely than everything else I've proposed thus far.
Scientific research: The state should fund a hell of a lot more scientific research than it currently does. We need long term, heavy commitments to research and development. I want to see American space colonies, American lunar colonies, and American Mars colonies before I die. I want supersonic, automated planes that can get you from New York to Los Angeles in 45 minutes. I want a national high speed rail network. We can do all these things, we just have to invest in them. And I think we should and that we should be the world leader in all things scientific.
Surveillance programs: End them and move to restrict the amount of surveillance that is being conducted on every single one of us by the private sector every single day. Heavily restrict advertising (limit it to trade journals), stop keeping files on private citizens who have never committed a crime, end the use of background checks except in a few sectors (i.e. it would still be good to run background checks to prevent child molesters from becoming preschool teachers), ban drug testing, etc. On the whole the surveillance state needs to be smashed, and it's appendages utterly crushed.
Gun control: Gun sales should be perfectly legal for all persons over the age of 16. We should teach gun safety from a young age (no one should be able to graduate high school without having passed a gun safety course) and encourage everyone to own a gun and be responsible for his or her own self-defense. I strongly support efforts to expand gun ownership, although there are some new manifestations of this that I think are psychotic (the so-called 'Castle Doctrine' and 'Stand Your Ground' laws) and counterproductive. I believe that the armaments industry (including the whole of the defense sector) should be nationalized and used to produce stable, safe, and reliable weaponry for the masses.  
Assisted suicide: There's literally no reason not to legalize it. If you oppose legalizing it, you're an awful person. End of story. Persons in ill health or in old age should be able to peacefully end their lives if they so choose, without interference from the state. On this same token, I don't necessarily view so-called "active" euthanasia as a bad thing, at least when it comes to persons that are obviously not capable of making decisions for themselves or are simply unable to function otherwise. The Groningen Protocol of the Netherlands is, I think, a fairly progressive leap forward in this regard, and I would say that this is something we should implement here, as well.
Gambling: This is one sector that would be better off under state control, since the sector often serves as a front for organized crime and it also often leads to a whole host of social ills. But what would a nationalized gambling sector look like? Well I think that, for starters, if you're going to have organized gambling, it should be used in such a way that it promotes positive social development, rather than utterly negative social degeneration, which is what capitalist gambling enterprises ultimately do. The lottery could be converted, for example, into a system whereby a ticket purchased corresponds with a treasury bond, and thus has a value that can be cashed in either immediately or over a period of time, providing not only an avenue for the United States to engage in fiscal expansion when necessary, but also providing the average person with something more meaningful than a $2 scratch-off card in which you win literally nothing. Casinos and the like could be used to generate revenue for a state education program, or could be used to fund programs for gambling addicts, or used to acquire other industrial sectors, which could pave the way out of capitalism in the first place. I'm not sure. Like I said, this is one of the tougher ones for me, I'm not really sure how best to go about it.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1020 on: June 19, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2014, 01:26:23 PM by Senator TNF »

Term Limits: All public officials should be elected for short terms and be subject to recall. No public official should make more than what the averaged skilled worker makes.
Statehood: I'm really partial to the idea of having a single "statehood or independence" vote in every one of the remaining territories as a means of firmly ending the colonial status of said territories, once and for all. Furthermore, I think that state boundaries really need to be re-drawn to reflect the reality on the ground in 2014. Why should North Dakota exist as one state and California not exist as like, five different states? Every major city in excess of one million persons should be considered it's own state, and should have a Governor and state legislature and get to send representatives to DC independent of the surrounding area.
Voting Age: Lower the overall age of majority to 16. We baby people too much for too long in this country. People should be fully prepared to be financially and socially independent at age 16; high school should end at this age, you should be able to buy a beer, get a full time job, and vote at age 16.
Campaign Finance Reform: Fix this problem by not having elections as the means of selecting public officials. Every public office should be selected by drawing lots.
Voter ID: Abolish voter registration in favor of automatic registration for anyone aged 16 and up.
Welfare: We should make the Swedish look stingy. Phase out most cash payout programs in favor of an unconditional, universal basic income program adjusted for inflation that would feasibly allow someone to survive without having to have an additional income on top of it. Wage labor should be thus made a choice, not a requirement, in order to survive. This will have the effect of raising the price of labor, which will encourage employers to invest more in labor-saving devices, which will ultimately have the effect of automating all employment (or at least, most of it) which can of course pave the way for the ultimate abolition of capitalism in favor of a post-work, post-capitalist economy (i.e. socialism) wherein there is abundance for all and the fruits of our collective labor are not appropriated by parasites. But in the meantime, we need socialized medicine (on the Cuban model), socialized housing (end homelessness by guaranteeing everyone the right to a home; housing co-operatives should be given massive state support and should be used as a means to drive private housing into the dirt), the minimum wage should be tripled and automatically adjusted for inflation, increases in worker productivity, and regional differences in the cost of living (but it should never be adjusted below the national floor). Tipping should be banned and tipped employees paid a living wage. Everyone who wants a job should be guaranteed one through public employment as yet another alternative to private wage labor (think a worker-managed version of the WPA that pays good wages), and education should be fully free of charge from top to bottom, with the state paying for your education as long as far as your skills and abilities will take you.
Unions: Repeal all anti-union laws and instead aggressively promote not just unionization, but worker ownership. Require labor representation on corporate boards, convert the largest sectors of the economy to worker-owned co-operative industries (with the intent of collectivizing all industry into worker-owned co-operative industry), adopt union control over hiring and firing in every industry, and give unions full control of the workplace, with the ultimate goal of abolishing the separation of ownership and management in favor of worker ownership and worker management of the means of production.
Privatization: I am in favor of going the opposite route and instead support taking over major industries and handing them over to their workers to own and manage. This should eventually be expanded to the whole of the economy, with the goal of eradicating capitalist private enterprise in favor of worker-owned and worker-managed co-operative enterprise.
Environment: I consider myself an ecosocialist. I do not think that the survival of the species and that the survival of the planet are compatible with the continuation of capitalism. As such, I support any and all efforts to reduce the negative impact of capitalist enterprise on the planet. Fracking should be banned in it's entirety. Coal and oil usage should be phased out in favor of nuclear power, and we should put a lot of money into developing nuclear fusion technology (and space mining is going to be a big part of that, especially with all the Helium-3 resting on the lunar surface). Solar power should likewise be heavily invested in. Abolish public transit fees and rapidly expand the use of zero-carbon or low-carbon transport.
Minimum Wage: See Welfare.
Taxation: Individual taxation is decidedly bourgeois in character, and that's part of why I'm not really fixed on the idea. I think that it is important, especially as we move toward a socially owned, zero-carbon economy, to move away from individual modes of taxation in favor of a more collective approach. For starters, I think that we need to begin to seriously consider a green shift in taxation to tax those activities which are ecologically destructive and harmful on the whole to society at-large. I oppose regressive taxation in all it's forms, however, and would want any new taxation levied to be strongly progressive in character.
Healthcare: See Welfare.
Trade: I am no "free trader" in the sense that that term is applied today. I believe that trade should be actively managed, not to produce a trade surplus or allow a trade deficit, but to achieve a trade balance and to actively support activities which are necessary for the wellbeing of the American people. Worker-owned enterprises should be prioritized in this regard as an alternative to globe-hopping private capitalists, who should be turned away if they do not invest in the United States. If a foreign company wants to sell it's products in the United States, it should be required to make every product it intends to sell here, using American labor, and should be unionized, with significant worker input and control over the shop floor. Strict capital controls should be enacted to prevent the further hemorrhaging of the national industrial base. Those companies that yet still seek to move production overseas should automatically lose the right to any property used for production in the United States (which should be turned over to its workers) and should be required to pay hefty, severance fees to the communities they exit for each job lost as a result of capital flight.
Cuban Embargo: End the embargo and the travel ban and embrace the opportunity to rebuild a positive relationship with the Cuban government.
Subsidies: If it receives federal dollars, it should be taken into public ownership and be turned over to its workers for management.
Military: Remove all U.S. troops from foreign soil, shutdown all foreign military bases, disband all aggressive military alliances and withdraw from existing collective security agreements. Cut the military budget in half, end it's propaganda operations (advertising, recruitment in high schools and colleges), and thin out the ranks of the armed forces, starting with officers first. Automate as much as possible, and invest heavily in robotic infantry and drone technology. Ground all human pilots in favor of drones.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1021 on: June 19, 2014, 12:02:08 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2014, 05:51:56 PM by RR1997 »

I forgot to do this when I first signed up, so I'll do it now.

Social Policy:
Abortion: I find abortion to be immoral, but I still support keeping it legal, though I am moving to the right on this issue.
Same Sex Marriage: Of course we should legalize gay marriage! It's a shame that this is even up for discussion!
Drugs: Legalize marijuana, but that's it. Keep other drugs like heroin, cocaine, etc. illegal. We should also end the War on Drugs, which has obviously failed.
Stem Cell Research: I don't think the government should be in the way of scientific progress.
Death Penalty: I support the death penalty, but only in very extreme cases.
Gun Gontrol: I oppose any new gun control legislation.
Affirmative Action:Affirmative action based on race is basically discrimination, and I'm a minority that dosen't qualify for AA (I'm Indian, the Asian kind.) I strongly oppose race based AA.
Prostitution: Even though I personally support prostitution, I support having the states decide.

Overall, I consider myself to be centre-left on social issues.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage:Raise it to $10.
Welfare: I strongly support welfare reform.
Right-to-Work: I personally support it, but the states should decide.
Taxation: I support across the board tax cuts, and I believe tax cuts do help stimulate the economy.
Healthcare: I oppose Obamacare, and support a privitized health care system.
Social Security: Don't privitize SS, keep it is as it is.
Trade: Free trade is a great thing. In this modern day and age, we can't impose protectionist tarriffs and extreme regulations, though I agree that there needs to be some regulations. I also support free trade agreements like NAFTA. We've been living in a global economy since the end of the Cold War, which is a good thing. I think most protectionist are either die-hard leftist, or right-wing, nationalists.
Education: I strongly oppose school vouchers.
Balanced Budget Amendment: I support a Balanced Budget Amendment.
Enviroment: We need more incentives and laws to help protect the environment.
Deregulation:I support it.

Overall, I cosider myself to be centre-right on economic issues

Afghanistan: Starting the war was a good decision, but I believe we should end the war by the end of this year.
Iran: Diplomacy is far better than war.
Cuba: Keep the embargo.
Military Spending: Keep as is.
Immigration: I support a path to citizenship, and making it easier to come to this country. I believe that immigration is good for the economy, and my parents are immigrants, which influences my decision on this a lot. I don't see any legitimate argument against a path to citizenship.
Guantanamo Bay: Keep Guantanamo Bay open.

Overall, I consider myself to be moderately neoconservative on foreign policy.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1022 on: June 19, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »

War: No war but the class war. The United States should only respond militarily if it is attacked by another nation-state. End the War on Terror, withdraw all troops from abroad, and commit ourselves to a policy of non-interventionism. Embrace Russia and China (and welcome them into the family of nations) rather than hurtle toward confrontation with both of them.
Israel-Palestine: Strongly support the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination. Remove all U.S. aid and support of Israel, break off diplomatic relations with the Israelis, and pass something like the Anti-Apartheid Act of the 1980s to end U.S. investments in Israel. Either the Israelis will come to the negotiating table and recognize Palestinian statehood, or it will cease to receive aid and protection from the United States. If it should refuse to do so, treat Israel as a rogue state and support all efforts to cripple it's internal economy and paralyze it's foreign trade.
Draft: Abolish the standing army in favor of universal military training. Graduation from high school should require that one undergo basic military training and be on reserve for call up for military service in the event of a war. Make no distinction between male, female, or genderqueer persons in terms of who is called up for service.
UN: Abolish the Security Council in favor of a unicameral global parliament, with resolutions applicable to all member states and the establishment of a UN armed forces.
Nukes: Seek international treaty banning nuclear weapons.
Foreign Aid: Cancel third world debt, give no aid to nations with marked human rights violations, and expand the Peace Corps.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #1023 on: June 21, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2014, 02:51:07 PM by phwezer »

Social Issues
Gay Marriage: Legalize it. What's your problem?
Drug War: Legalize pot, keep the harder stuff (cocaine, heroin, etc.) illegal, but focus on rehabilitation not punishment. End the Drug War. Actually educate kids on drugs as opposed to the horrible D.A.R.E. "DRUGS ARE BASICALLY HITLER AND SATAN DON'T DO THEM EVER YOU DIE HORRIBLY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!1111!!1"
Abortion: Strongly pro-choice and supportive of defending Roe v. Wade. Repeal all transvaginal ultrasound laws. Legalize abortion up to the third trimester. Keep partial-birth abortion legal.
Prostitution: Legalize and regulate it, much like the Netherlands or Germany.
Stem-Cell Research: Meh. As long as it's not hurting people I don't have much of a problem.
Education: Repeal NCLB and end similar initiatives. Institute a national federalized curriculum. Provide secondary education for all free of charge.
Capital punishment: Switch to inert gas asphyxiation in all cases.

Economic Issues
Taxation: Set up a progressive tax system with large tax increases on the rich.
Minimum Wage: Institute a guaranteed minimum income for all.
Healthcare: Switch to a nationalized healthcare system.
Social Security: No privatization!
Free Trade: You mean destroying American labor?
Unions/Right-to-work: Repeal all right-to-work laws and defend unions at all costs.

Foreign Policy
Intervention: Only intervene to support a genuine, home-grown revolution or to prevent human rights abuses. I support interventions along the lines of Libya in 2011. Otherwise, only use military force when we are attacked.
Afghanistan: End the war and withdraw all troops by this year's end.
Iraq: Travesty.
Iran: End sanctions and normalize relations. The Iranians aren't trying to build nukes, so allow them to use nuclear power.
Cuba: End the embargo.
Guantanamo: SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING
PATRIOT Act: Repeal, repeal, repeal.

Other/Miscellaneous
Term Limits: It's called "voting out incumbents".
Campaign Finance: Ban all donations by large corporations. Money is not speech. Switch to full federal funding for all campaigns.
Electoral College: Abolish and switch to popular vote.
FPTP: Switch to MMP or IRV.
jamesyons
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 0.87

P P
« Reply #1024 on: June 22, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »

Social Issues:
Abortion: strongly oppose it all cases except when life of mother is in danger, incest, and rape
Affirmative action: strongly opposed to it
Assisted suicide: support it
Crime: strongly support stop-and-frisk, Israeli style profiling in airport security
Death penalty: support it, although not often
Drugs: oppose legalization because legalization causes higher crime and unintended consequences, more widespread usage, support medical marijuana
Gay marriage: oppose legalization, although I am moving more liberally on it
Gun control: support some legislation, but also believe there should be less gun-free zones
Prostitution: oppose legalization, but let states regulate it
Stem cell research: lukewarmly support it

Economic Issues:
Balanced budget amendment: support
Education: support vouchers, charter schools
Free trade: strongly support it
Healthcare: repeal ACA except preexisting conditions, children stay on plan until 26, people should be given tax incentives and vouchers to buy health care
Minimum Wage: should not be increased, leads to higher prices, hurts the poor deeply
Medicare: I support Ryan plan, Medicare should be privatized
Social security: retirement age should be raised to 68, institute chained-CPI, social security should be privatized, (Social Security and Medicare have to be privatized in order to be there for future generations)
Subsidies: end them all
Taxation: there should a flat tax, tax system should not punish success
Unions: strongly oppose unions, support right-to-work laws

Electoral reform:
Compulsory voting: oppose it, people should have the right to decide if they want to vote or not
DC Statehood: strongly support (taxation without representation)
Electoral college: get rid of it
Instant runoff-voting: support, cheaper solution to making sure candidate wins 50%
Gerrymandering: should be banned, Iowa style system
Primaries: support semi-open primaries (no meddling from other side), but allow independents to vote
Term-limits: strongly oppose (undemocratic)
Voter ID: strongly support, come on it is not difficult to have a photo with you to vote
Voter registration: support election-day registration
Miscellaneous: support voting at any precinct (Lubbock), eliminate conventions (undemocratic)

Environment:
Climate change: not much evidence it is happening
Green energy: should not be aided, let them compete on their own
Keystone XL: support it, either way the oil will be sold, better to have it be transported by safer pipelines than rail, also better to have it used in US with higher environmental standards than China

Foreign policy:
Afghanistan: should leave in a few years, leave a contingent force
Cuba: support embargo, Cuba's communism, lack of freedom, human rights' abuses are unacceptable
Guantanamo: nothing wrong with it
Iraq: support it, should have left a contingent there, deterrent against Iran, current problems: stay out until new government, do not support Iranian puppet Al-Maliki
Israel: strongly support Israel
Military spending: no change
NSA spying: support it
Patriot Act: support continuation of it with more restrictions
Palestine: no Palestinian state until they  denounce terrorism (Hamas), stop harassment of Israel
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies