Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:52:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556648 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: March 29, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I support abolishing citizenship as a concept.

Does this mean abolishing all nations and living under one world government? Not saying that's a bad thing, just asking for clarification. Also not using subjects in sentences.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #976 on: March 29, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »

Wait, Vlad was banned for his political views? I don't buy it.

I'm told he posted actual Nazi propaganda, though it doesn't show up in his posting history and was presumably deleted.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #977 on: April 08, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2014, 06:09:28 PM by RR1997 »

To quickly summarize my political beliefs, I consider myself a conservative on economic issues, a neocon on foreign policy, and socially centrist.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #978 on: April 10, 2014, 02:21:56 PM »

Social Policy
AbortionSad/b] I am pro-life. However, I do not believe it's within my rights to take this away from someone. I would rather incentivize adoption and make it a more attractive option for mothers who do not want to raise a child.
Drugs: My main concern with this is pushing people away from jail who are users and pushing the distributors towards it. This would be done through decriminalization of some, if not all, recreational drugs, and placing very strong laws on the production and distribution of the drugs.
Censorship: Thoroughly against it.
Gay Marriage: Pro-gay marriage. More or less I don't see why it's my business. Marriage isn't a religious institution historically. I don't see why I should distort the facts to maintain an antiquated social norm.
Death penalty: State issue. I don't believe I could carry this out in anything other than an extreme circumstance, ie Osama or Hitler.
Prostitution: State issue.
Church and State: Fine with where we're currently at, but common sense should rule this debate. If a town wants to put up a Christmas tree, let them.
Stem cell research: Fully support this and the advancement of science in general.
PATRIOT Act: Repeal it.
Gun control: I'm fine with the imposition of some simple restrictions, ie background checks at gun shows. But, overall, I would want it to be coupled with a guarantee of the security of rights to gun owners and advancement of mental health studies.
Assisted suicide: No.
Gambling: I'd be in favor of some gambling reforms; however, I'm not sure what they'd be.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: 20 for SCOTUS judges, 12 for Senate members, and 8 for House members.
Voting Age: 18
Campaign Finance Reform: Ban lobbying nearly completely and restrict donations to certain periods.
Gerrymandering: Proportional.
Voter ID: I'm very torn on this.

Economic Issues
Welfare: Reform social security, medicare, medicaid and replace Obamacare. Social security would be replaced for those under 40 with a private fund. Those private funds would have a safety net of a certain amount of dollars. Those making more than a certain amount will not receive SS. Most of my health reform will be discussed in the appropriate section. In terms of the impoverished, those who cannot help themselves should be given aid, but those who are generally poor should be pushed toward employment by offering skill training and like programs.
Unions: They're basically dead. Localized unions without a nation, or state-wide, apparatus can be beneficial.
Privatization: In favor of some privatization efforts.
Environment: Very much pro-environmental progress. I may be skeptical of global warming timelines; however, there are only positive externalities to the progress of this. It will also help us grow our economy substantially if we become the leader in green energy.
Minimum Wage: Australian, age based, system.
Taxation: Cut the death tax to 10%. Cut corporate taxes and close loopholes. I'm in favor of taxes raises and cuts depending on the economic situation.
Healthcare: Payment reform is required. Doctors should receive a salary, not payment based on the services they perform. Near complete elimination of paperwork. The costs associated with PAPER are astronomical. This baffles me. Deincentivize negative life choices like cigarette smoking. Cut the state restrictions on insurance companies and place national reforms on the industry. Tax reform on employer insurance coverage. Tort reform. Voucher, or similar, system with Medicare.
I would also be infavor of an outside the box idea, like enrolling in an exchange of competitive bidding where companies would bid to cover your service. This would be a more free market option, but I'm not sure how it would work.
Trade: Free trade.
Embargo: End the embargo with Cuba. It will push them towards capitalism
Pork: Ban
Subsidies: In favor of them if they will return either a highly beneficial addition to the economy or something that is fantastic, but otherwise impossible.
Military: Cut the waste. Efficiency is key for me in every part of the budget.

Foreign Policy
War: It's a foreign policy tool. One that I would use if needed. That said, I strongly prefer the use of other means to support the interests of this country.
Israel-Palestine: Recognize Israel and negotiate an Arab mega-state similar to the Ottoman Empire and what was being planned with Hussein bin Ali.
Draft: No. No. No.
UN: The UN is fine, but I don't take them seriously. I'd do what I want.
Nukes: Support a world wide proliferation effort.
Foreign Aid: Support nations who need it. These nations do not need hefty sums to derive heavy returns. However, I would generally support a substitution of American products and training aid to nations.
WillTheMormon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #979 on: April 11, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »

I'll try:

Social Policy
Abortion: Absolutely opposed. Pro-life 100%
Drugs: All should be illegal, including tobacco and alcohol. Caffeine should be legal but strongly regulated.
Censorship: It's absolutely necessary to protect our children. I have a two-year-old niece so I know.
Gay Marriage: Absolutely opposed. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Civil unions are a state issue. Just don't call it marriage.
Death penalty: Absolutely opposed.
Prostitution: Absolutely opposed. It's legal in my state but not my county.
Church and State: Freedom of religion for all.
Stem cell research: Absolutely opposed. The government under no circumstances should violate the sanctity of human life.
PATRIOT Act: Necessary to keep us safe.
Gun control: As an NRA member and firearms enthusiast, keep your hands off my guns government!
Assisted suicide: Absolutely opposed. (See Abortion, Death Penalty and Stem Cells)
Gambling: Absolutely opposed. Used to be a big gambler in college though.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: Support them. Get the old bastards out of office!
Voting Age: 18 is fine with me
Campaign Finance Reform: Absolutely necessary to make sure everyone has a fair shot, eliminate the influence of corporate fat-cats on politics and leave the decision to the people!
Gerrymandering: Should be done by a non-partisan commission. Strongly support the Tanner Proposal.
Voter ID: Absolutely opposed as it disenfranchises the vote of the poor and minorities.

Economic Issues
Welfare: Strongly support it. Makes sure everyone has a fair shot in society.
Unions: Strongly support them! Equal rights for the workers!
Privatization: The Government needs to control some industries. The fat-cats can't become too powerful.
Environment: Global warming and pollution are big problems. The government needs to act on them or the earth will suffer.
Minimum Wage: Raise it! Even $10 is too low in my opinion. Make it at least $12.
Taxation: Tax hikes for the rich! Everyone needs to pay their fair share, especially the top 1% as they have much more to pay.
Healthcare: Obamacare is a great idea but horribly executed (plus it promotes abortion and contraception) so I oppose it. I strongly support universal healthcare though. The US needs to have something like the British NHS, not Obamacare.
Trade: Needs to have some restrictions.
Embargo: My co-worker's Cuban and we both agree the embargo's absolutely neccesary.
Pork: Not really sure what that is??
Subsidies: If the government was to pay for something why not?
Military: Increase spending. It's a dangerous world out there!

Foreign Policy
War: Supported Iraq when it happened. Think we should stay in Afghanistan. Consider myself fairly hawkish. BTW, my dad and two of my uncles are Vietnam Veterans. Both my grandads fought in WWII.
Israel-Palestine: Pro-Israel. The Jews need a homeland after the devastation the Holocaust caused them. The Muslims already have the rest of the peninsula plus Central Asia, half of Africa and Turkey.
Draft: Unless there's another World War, no.
UN: I like the UN but think it needs to be much stronger.
Nukes: Get Iran and North Korea away from them!!!
Foreign Aid: If a country is in trouble, we have to help them!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #980 on: April 11, 2014, 02:08:42 PM »

You're not a candidate for federal office. Saying something "should be left to the states" isn't an actual position.
WillTheMormon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #981 on: April 11, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »

You're not a candidate for federal office. Saying something "should be left to the states" isn't an actual position.

I think each state should vote on whether civil unions for gay and lesbian couples should be legal or not. Either in the legislature or have a referendum though I prefer the latter over the former.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #982 on: April 11, 2014, 02:37:11 PM »

I think each state should vote on whether civil unions for gay and lesbian couples should be legal or not. Either in the legislature or have a referendum though I prefer the latter over the former.

That doesn't answer the question of what your actual position is on the matter.
WillTheMormon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #983 on: April 11, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »

That doesn't answer the question of what your actual position is on the matter.

Well if I was voting on whether or not civil unions should be legalized in Nevada, I would vote no. Does this answer your question?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #984 on: April 11, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »

Drugs: All should be illegal, including tobacco and alcohol. Caffeine should be legal but strongly regulated.
Gun control: As an NRA member and firearms enthusiast, keep your hands off my guns government!

This makes absolutely no sense.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #985 on: April 11, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »

Caffeine should be legal but strongly regulated.

This is a joke, right?
WillTheMormon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #986 on: April 11, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »

I know there's no way it's realistically happening but I'm a Mormon and I don't drink caffeine.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #987 on: April 11, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »

I know there's no way it's realistically happening but I'm a Mormon and I don't drink caffeine.

Along those lines, are alcohol and caffeine considered equivalent in Mormonism? All the Mormons I know seem to be uncomfortable around people drinking alcohol but not bothered by coffee. Why is this?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #988 on: April 19, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »

End the war on drugs, pass ENDA, equal rights for LGBT, ban states from passing right to work, and end the War on Women.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #989 on: April 19, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2014, 08:39:56 PM by Senator Goldwater »

End the war on drugs, pass ENDA, equal rights for LGBT, ban states from passing right to work, and end the War on Women.

I was unaware of this war. We clearly shouldn't be wasting our military's budget on such a costly and pointless endeavor.
Meursault
« Reply #990 on: April 19, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »

Do you think that the socio-political views of Mormonism ought to be extended to cover non-Mormons?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #991 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »

I live in a suburb and don't own a gun. Therefore gun ownership should be legal but strongly regulated.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #992 on: April 22, 2014, 09:48:39 PM »

I live in a suburb and don't own a gun. Therefore gun ownership should be legal but strongly regulated.

I get the joke, but isn't that your actual view on gun control? Tongue
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #993 on: April 22, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »

I'll try:

Social Policy
Abortion: Absolutely opposed. Pro-life 100%
Censorship: It's absolutely necessary to protect our children. I have a two-year-old niece so I know.
Gay Marriage: Absolutely opposed. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Civil unions are a state issue. Just don't call it marriage.
Death penalty: Absolutely opposed.
Prostitution: Absolutely opposed. It's legal in my state but not my county.
Church and State: Freedom of religion for all.
Stem cell research: Absolutely opposed. The government under no circumstances should violate the sanctity of human life.
PATRIOT Act: Necessary to keep us safe.
Assisted suicide: Absolutely opposed. (See Abortion, Death Penalty and Stem Cells)
Gambling: Absolutely opposed. Used to be a big gambler in college though.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: Support them. Get the old bastards out of office!
Voting Age: 18 is fine with me
Campaign Finance Reform: Absolutely necessary to make sure everyone has a fair shot, eliminate the influence of corporate fat-cats on politics and leave the decision to the people!
Gerrymandering: Should be done by a non-partisan commission. Strongly support the Tanner Proposal.
Voter ID: Absolutely opposed as it disenfranchises the vote of the poor and minorities.

Economic Issues
Welfare: Strongly support it. Makes sure everyone has a fair shot in society.
Unions: Strongly support them! Equal rights for the workers!
Privatization: The Government needs to control some industries. The fat-cats can't become too powerful.
Environment: Global warming and pollution are big problems. The government needs to act on them or the earth will suffer.
Minimum Wage: Raise it! Even $10 is too low in my opinion. Make it at least $12.
Taxation: Tax hikes for the rich! Everyone needs to pay their fair share, especially the top 1% as they have much more to pay.
Healthcare: Obamacare is a great idea but horribly executed (plus it promotes abortion and contraception) so I oppose it. I strongly support universal healthcare though. The US needs to have something like the British NHS, not Obamacare.
Trade: Needs to have some restrictions.
Embargo: My co-worker's Cuban and we both agree the embargo's absolutely neccesary.
Pork: Not really sure what that is??
Subsidies: If the government was to pay for something why not?
Military: Increase spending. It's a dangerous world out there!

Foreign Policy
War: Supported Iraq when it happened. Think we should stay in Afghanistan. Consider myself fairly hawkish. BTW, my dad and two of my uncles are Vietnam Veterans. Both my grandads fought in WWII.
Israel-Palestine: Pro-Israel. The Jews need a homeland after the devastation the Holocaust caused them. The Muslims already have the rest of the peninsula plus Central Asia, half of Africa and Turkey.
Draft: Unless there's another World War, no.
UN: I like the UN but think it needs to be much stronger.
Nukes: Get Iran and North Korea away from them!!!
Foreign Aid: If a country is in trouble, we have to help them!

Ha! It seems me and you have the exact opposite viewpoints, except on guns. Any reason your pro-freedom on that issue in particular?
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #994 on: April 27, 2014, 01:07:09 AM »

I'm a general progressive on most issues. End the war on drugs, down with Reaganomics, restore the New Deal, death to neoliberals, nationwide legal gay marriage, stringently pro-choice, peace and love, yada yada yada.

I suppose the big difference between me and well, every other progressive on earth, is that I support a more authoritarian government - a dictatorship if need be - to enact these policies. This is because, democracy, while a good idea in theory, is far too easy to be corrupted for the interests of the power-hungry elite. The corporate media manipulates the people into voting against their own interests distressingly often. In an authoritarian government, however, the manipulation of the people would have little to no effect, because the people would not control the government to begin with.

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

So, there's that. I dunno what you call my ideology. Authoritarian paternalist progressivism?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #995 on: April 27, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »

Destroy capitalism.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #996 on: April 30, 2014, 09:15:29 PM »

F-

The Requirements for the paper are at least 1500 words.  Son, you got to quit drinking.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #997 on: May 03, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »

I'm a general progressive on most issues. End the war on drugs, down with Reaganomics, restore the New Deal, death to neoliberals, nationwide legal gay marriage, stringently pro-choice, peace and love, yada yada yada.

I suppose the big difference between me and well, every other progressive on earth, is that I support a more authoritarian government - a dictatorship if need be - to enact these policies. This is because, democracy, while a good idea in theory, is far too easy to be corrupted for the interests of the power-hungry elite. The corporate media manipulates the people into voting against their own interests distressingly often. In an authoritarian government, however, the manipulation of the people would have little to no effect, because the people would not control the government to begin with.

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

So, there's that. I dunno what you call my ideology. Authoritarian paternalist progressivism?

Dear god.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #998 on: May 03, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »

Sounds like Leninism to me.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #999 on: May 03, 2014, 09:57:54 PM »

You know there's something wrong when government is being compared to caring parents.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies