Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:05:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557912 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: October 01, 2009, 02:26:20 PM »

National Issues
Taxes
At the federal level, replace the income tax with the "FairTax."  At the state level, I support progressive taxation.

what is "the 'Fair Tax'"?

a flat income tax rate

Hardly what I'd call fair if you ask my opinion.

Why?

Well for one thing it'd for all intents and purposes function no differently to regressive taxation, when you think about it closely enough, those in the higher wealth groups might as well be charged a lower rate than those who earn less.  Personally I favour progressive taxation.

Anyway, that's my opinion in a nutshell.

I wasn't arguing that it is preferrable. I am saying that it is more fair. S in, you know, treating everyone equally.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #326 on: October 01, 2009, 02:39:24 PM »

National Issues
Taxes
At the federal level, replace the income tax with the "FairTax."  At the state level, I support progressive taxation.

what is "the 'Fair Tax'"?

a flat income tax rate

Hardly what I'd call fair if you ask my opinion.

Why?

Well for one thing it'd for all intents and purposes function no differently to regressive taxation, when you think about it closely enough, those in the higher wealth groups might as well be charged a lower rate than those who earn less.  Personally I favour progressive taxation.

Anyway, that's my opinion in a nutshell.

I wasn't arguing that it is preferrable. I am saying that it is more fair. S in, you know, treating everyone equally.

I can see how some people would see it as fair, but personally I don't share that view.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #327 on: October 02, 2009, 11:22:54 PM »

I will just list some of my beliefs.

Universal Health care: SUPPORT!
Gay marriage: Oppose
NAFTA: Oppose
Immigration reform: Support
Union rights: Support
Taxes: Lower
Social Security: Support
Stimulus/BAILOUTS: sUPPORT
Abortion: Strongly oppose
Affirmative action: oppose
Expanding public universities: Support!
War in Iraq: oppose
Drug legalization: HELL NO

Damn.  Take out the Iraq War we gots ourselves a Bob Casey Democrat on our hands.  I thought this state's Democrats have finally turned a new leaf. Tongue
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #328 on: October 03, 2009, 02:20:59 AM »

Damn.  Take out the Iraq War we gots ourselves a Bob Casey Democrat on our hands.  I thought this state's Democrats have finally turned a new leaf. Tongue

With Arlen Specter? Tongue
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

« Reply #329 on: October 21, 2009, 04:35:50 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2009, 05:00:25 PM by rebeltarian »

Foreign Policy

Warfare: War should be reserved for when our nation is in grave, imminent danger. No pre-emptive warfare, unless it is strategically necessary to protect ourselves (the 1983 invasion of Grenada). Marques and reprisals are also sometimes justified (the 1986 Libya air strike). I oppose nation building and would like to see us close several of our overseas bases and stop policing the world.

Iraq: I opposed the invasion from the start as I believe the war was fought under a false-pretense and bad/manipulated information. We invaded Iraq for oil interests, influence from Israel and some sort of unreasonable idea that we could actually spread freedom to the region. I support a rapid withdrawal of our troops from Iraqi soil.

Afghanistan: The initial strikes and the hunt for Bin Ladin/Al-Qaeda were justified.  Bin Laden is dead.  We need to stop dicking around with these middle-eastern countries.  It’s time to come home.

War on Terror: This term is too ambiguous.  I would shut down the department of homeland security and repeal the PATRIOT Act.  There are indeed terrorists in the world, but by giving up our civil liberties, they are accomplishing the number 1 goal on their agenda. 

United Nations: I strongly support US withdrawal from the UN.  They are a serious threat to our national sovereignty.  America should clean up its own house, remain neutral and let the world emulate us.  Tell the UN to move their damn headquarters off our soil, too.

Iran/North Korea/Cuba: Open those bad boys up.  Talk and trade with them.  Allow American citizens to visit Cuba.

Israel/Palestine: Stop sending aid to both sides.  Pursue two-state solution diplomatically.  Israel has an advanced air force, navy and lots of nukes.  They can defend themselves.

Sudan/Darfur: Let them sort it out.  It’s not America’s job to socially engineer the world.

Foreign Aid/Debts: Drop the debt on all third-world nations and cut all foreign aid.  The majority of it is being lost to corruption.  Encourage humanitarian institutions and religious missionaries to help disadvantaged communities overseas.

Defense Budget: Needs to be cut back significantly.  A lot of money can be saved by simply not getting involved in so many foreign entanglements.  Focus on better quality weapons systems and lesser quantity of them.  Pursue a missile defense shield.

Economic and Domestic Policies

Illegal Immigration: Tighter border patrols. I don’t support amnesty, but it’s ridiculous to think we can round up 20 million people. Cut federal welfare programs and these people will have no incentive to come/stay in America illegally.

Taxes: A flat, 10 percent tax from every American’s income should be sufficient to balance the budget and run this country after we scale back the welfare state and stop playing world policeman.

Minimum Wage: Eliminate all minimum wage laws.

Energy Independence and the Environment:  I’m all for green energies, but I oppose the government subsidization of them. I support a free-market solution to alternative energies and I support drilling in ANWR and the Pacific. I especially think we need to explore nuclear power as well as the medical benefits of the atom.  I support free market solutions to fostering and improving environmental stewardship.

Healthcare: I oppose a government takeover.  Tort reform and repealing state restrictions on patient choice of insurance companies is a good place to start with making the free market system more patient-friendly.

Education: Shut down the department of education.  Let state/local governments handle funding for education.  Allow parents to choose schools via vouchers.  Let local communities decide on the curriculum being taught in classrooms (evolution, creationism, etc), but encourage all students to learn Spanish.

Unions: Decentralize their power.  I oppose the Employee Free Choice Act.

Trade: I support free trade with all nations, regardless of their human rights record or philosophy of government.  Trade is the first step towards breaking down authoritarianism and is a valuable tool for people of different cultures to communicate and learn about each other.  However, we don’t have true “free trade” when we’re trading with nations that impose tariffs. We should make every effort to negotiate tariff-free trade on both sides, but if we’re going to trade with nations that impose tariffs, we must also impose a tariff to avoid national debt.  We should withdraw from the WTO, cancel NAFTA, and I strongly oppose the NAU as they all infringe on our sovereignty.

Regulations and Corporate Welfare: Minimize regulations.  No favoritism and no bailouts.  I want true free markets. 

Affirmative Action: Oppose.

Monetary Issues: Audit the FED.  I don’t think we should go back to the gold standard, but something needs to be done to control the rabid printing of fiat currency and manipulation of interest rates.

Social and Institutional Issues

Abortion: Oppose, an unborn child has a heartbeat and brain activity; therefore I see abortion as murder and murderers should be punished.

Death Penalty: I oppose the death penalty for domestic crimes, but I think there are some high-profile political prisoners that we need to put down for our own national security. Saddam Hussein’s execution was justified. Terrorists should be long-drop hanged. Lethal injection is un-dignified and the chair is just barbaric. As for domestic criminals, life without parole is the maximum they should get.  I support their civic rights as well as reforming the whole prison system to emphasize rehabilitation. We should give them jobs to do (provided there’s no chain-gang-style torture involved), so they’re not just sitting around in their cells all day gang-raping each other.

Separation of church and state: Support. Government should protect the practice of religions and should not try to socially engineer the country towards any religion(s), nor should it discourage the practice thereof.

Embryonic Stem-Cell Research: I support scientific research as long as it does not involve the destruction of human embryos.

Gay Marriage: I support civil unions for homosexual couples. As for calling it “marriage”, well, the federal government should not have the authority to define what marriage is anyways. Leave it to churches/houses of worship to define what your “union” with your “partner” is.

Drug War & Marijuana:  Cut all federal funding for the war on drugs.  Legalize the herb, mon.

Prostitution: Legalize it.

Gun Control: CCW with a permit, bitches.

National ID: It is disgusting that this idea has even come onto the table.  Strongly oppose.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #330 on: October 21, 2009, 04:45:05 PM »

You fail hard.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #331 on: October 23, 2009, 09:14:28 PM »

Except for the bolded ones, I'm with you.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #332 on: October 23, 2009, 10:00:47 PM »

You fail hard.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #333 on: October 25, 2009, 06:32:24 PM »

The Constitution

The rotten state of our democracy is in urgent need of repair. The power of the state is concentrated too much in the hands of our executive office, in particular that of the Prime Minister. For example, Tony Blair was able to lead us into a war in Iraq without any form of consent from Parliament, had he so wished. I believe that the power to declare war should rest with our legislative body, Parliament, and in particular the House of Commons.

I favour the abolition of the House of Lords. It is ridiculous that in this day and age, we still have an unelected upper house, which only represents a tiny fraction of our population. It is time to do away with this, and replace it with a nonpartisan House of Merits that represents the most skilled, and the hardest working of our population, to further reinforce the power of the individual in our society. These would be chosen by referendum.

I also favour the abolition of the monarchy. The era where the few, privileged and lucky individuals who were born into high status rule over the country should end. Instead, we should elect a President every 5 years by popular vote, which would have the power to choose a Prime Minister from the largest party in Parliament, with the consent of the Commons.

Parliament should be elected every 3 years, and there should be more research done into the possibility of proportional representation, preferably by party list method. I also favour the restoration of university seats to our parliament. The size of our parliament should be set at around approximately 100,000 voters per member.

I believe in a codified British constitution, partially based on the 1689 Bill of Rights. This should include the right to free speech, freedom of assembly, freedom from censorship, and the right of habeas corpus. In addition, the constitution should protect individuals from harassment by government, whether sexuality, racial, religious, or gender based. Amendments to this constitution should be allowed to be ratified, with the consent of the people via referendum. To enforce this, the judiciary should be strengthened and the plans for a British Supreme Court should go ahead. Felons, the mentally ill and the bankrupt should be enfranchised and the voting age lowered to 16.

A balanced budget amendment should be contained within the constitution to encourage frugality, and to end serious deficits in budgets.

Devolution should be continued, and Northern Ireland should be granted a Parliament, as should England. These would have power over many local matters, while a National Parliament in Westminster would continue to deal with major issues like defence, law and order and education. Britain should also encourage the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man to hold a referendum on their status within the British nation.

The Church of England should be disestablished, as should the Church of Scotland. Secularism should be upheld, and government funding for religious schools of any sect should be curtailed.

The Privy Council would be abolished and replaced with a British State Council to advise the President on actions to be taken with regards to a Presidential veto in Parliament.

Social Issues

The death penalty (by firing squad) should be restored for crimes such as first degree murder, treason, espionage, sabotage and armed robbery. It should be regularly enforced to increase its use as a deterrent. In addition, the prison system should be hardened and the focus should be on deterring future criminals rather than on rehabilitating prisoners who may be mentally inclined towards violence.

All victimless crimes will be abolished, including the possession of narcotics. Shops and pharmacies will be allowed to apply for a licence to sell narcotics to those who are over 18. However, those who choose to take narcotics and end up suffering ailment or illness from the consumption of drugs will be exempt from NHS care and will have to pay privately. Street dealing will remain illegal and will be punished by prison sentence. Drugs will also be subject to excise duties from the Exchequer.

The age of consent will be abolished and prostitution will be legalised in brothels, but will require regular health checks to avoid the spread of venereal disease. The abortion late term limit will remain at its status quo.

The state shall not in any way define marriage, and there shall be no recognition for either heterosexual or homosexual relationships from the government. Adoption shall not be in any way hindered by the state.

Immigration should be encouraged for skilled workers looking for employment in the UK. However, illegal immigrants and immigrants who refuse to work should not be allowed residence and should be deported immediately.

All censorship by the government will be abolished and parents will be expected to make their own decisions as to the suitability of material for viewing by those who are of a young age.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #334 on: October 25, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »

some more of my views, basically.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #335 on: October 25, 2009, 09:36:14 PM »

Those were basically platitudes.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #336 on: October 26, 2009, 05:44:49 PM »

Por que no te callas?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #337 on: October 26, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »

Partly because you keep making non sequiturs.
politicaladdict
« Reply #338 on: November 02, 2009, 09:44:39 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm staunchly pro-life, but support exceptions when the mother's life is in danger.
Separation of church and state: Those words appear nowhere in the Constitution. I support freedom OF religion and not freedom FROM religion.
Gay marriage: Marriage should be between a man and a woman. I support civil unions and domestic partnerships.
Affirmative action: Reverse discrimination.
Hate crimes: Not what the libs pass.
Gun control: Strongly oppose.
Death penalty: Support it for 1rst degrees murders, and eve3n serial rapists who emotionally take the lives of others, but not for statutory rape.
Flag burning: I strongly oppose it personally, but whether or not it's a 1st Amendment right is questionable.
Euthanasia: Not really.
Prostitution: Legalize it for the age of 18.
Immigration: I support legal immigration 100%. For illegal immigration: build a wall and
Drugs: Against it.
I support almost all sexuality when it's part of nature and not other preventable addictions  such as drugs.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Very low taxes.
Trade: I believe free trade grows our economy.
Spending: Gov't. Federal only for national security and states for roads and some other areas that the constitution grants, no more.
Welfare: Crap.
Education: Confused on this issue.
Regulations: Don't regulate excessively, but make sure that a Madoff scandal doesn't happen again.

Foreign Policy

Military Involvement:
Support! Especially if they are undemocratic and are supporting terrorism
United Nations: Pretty useless.
Israel: I support Israel 1000%.
[/quote]
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #339 on: November 03, 2009, 11:41:49 PM »

Trade: I believe free trade grows our economy.

You believe wrong.

Why in the world?? Huh
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #340 on: November 04, 2009, 03:12:31 PM »

Actually, sorry to say this, but he's right on both counts.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #341 on: November 04, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »

I'd love to know how you can with a straight face "support Israel 100%".
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #342 on: November 04, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »

Because they're the only democracy in the Middle East, and were it not for the constant murdering of Israelis and the election of those subhuman trash Hamas, they would give the Palestinians more autonomy?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #343 on: November 04, 2009, 04:40:21 PM »

Public execution? By firing squad? For armed robbery? Really? Also, the return of university constituencies? Why on Earth would you want those back?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #344 on: November 04, 2009, 04:46:25 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2009, 05:03:42 PM by Booker 2013! »

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm staunchly pro-choice. It's the mothers decision what she does with her body.
Church and state: Keep the two completely separate. If you want to follow a religion, follow it, you don't need the government to "enforce" or "endorse" a religion for you to do that. Get religion out of schools (replace "R.E." with something more productive), abolish state run schools which have religious affiliation.
Gay Marriage: Legalize
The Smoking Ban: Keep it and keep it as it is. There's no need to expand it or abolish it.
Euthanasia: Legalize it.
Prostitution: Illegal
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: I don't have a problem with it. The pros far outweigh any cons.
Immigration: I personally don't have a problem with the current system, although i'd support some stricter rules and regulations simply to put a stop to the rise of the far-right.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Tax cuts for those earning less than £150,000 a year
Welfare: Support
Healthcare: Increase funding for the NHS.
Education: Massively increase funding in education. As above, abolish religiously aligned schools. Encourage lessons to develop citizenship. Abolish tuition fees! Keep the Education Maintenance Allowance (E.M.A) and maybe extend the limit to £40,000 income to receive it. Make Sixth Form education compulsory.
Minimum Wage: Keep it and raise it.
Infrastructure: Introduce congestion charges in all major cities, but massively cut prices for public transport.
Energy Policy: Build more wind farms and put up solar panels. Take advantage of tidal power and other renewable resources.

Foreign Issues

European Union: Further intergrate with Europe although I oppose a federal "United States of Europe". Oh, and President Blair Cheesy
Iraq: Withdraw troops now. Blair was stupid for going along with GWB.
Afghanistan: Increase troop numbers there.
Military Involvement: Attack only if attacked or directly threatened. Don't blindly follow the US like with Iraq.
Military Budget: Cut it.

Domestic Issues

Devolution: Support the assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as long as Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland MPs aren't allowed to vote on England-only matters OR form an English Parliment just for England issues and keep the current Houses of Parliment for UK-wide issues.
Scottish/Welsh Independance: Oppose! Keep the United Kingdom united.
Voting and elections: Keep the voting age at 18. Allow yearly referenda similar to the US state ballot questions/propositions etc. Keep the FPTP system. Give constituents the ability to re-call their MP. Democratically elect members of the House of Lords. Install a "registered voter" system similar to the US so that party members can elect their party leader.
Monarchy: Abolish it completely. Become the United Republic and let the public elect the head of state.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #345 on: November 04, 2009, 04:49:30 PM »

Surprisingly, I agree with you on alot of those, Change08.

Your positions on prostitution, minimum wage, elections and EU are pretty poor though.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #346 on: November 04, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »

Because they're the only democracy in the Middle East, and were it not for the constant murdering of Israelis and the election of those subhuman trash Hamas, they would give the Palestinians more autonomy?

Yes, they would give the Palestinians autonomy, if they elected the right people. That's a great example of democracy right there.

Do you realize what you're saying?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #347 on: November 05, 2009, 03:26:32 PM »

It's hard to give independence to a people who've elected a party who want Israel destroyed.

I support a two-state solution, and frankly, I think the Palestinians should simply all go on strike and refuse to work to force the Israelis to give them independence. Instead of using violence, they need to learn to use other methods that don't involve killing civilians.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #348 on: November 05, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »

Ah, so you believe in democracy only when the right people are elected. Also, I thought you said you support Israel 1000%. Now you're advocating civil disobedience.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #349 on: November 05, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »

Ah, so you believe in democracy only when the right people are elected. Also, I thought you said you support Israel 1000%. Now you're advocating civil disobedience.

I believe in democracy all the time. All I'm saying is, don't be surprised if I don't have much sympathy for Palestine. I've suggested the best method of getting independence, and it would be nice if they could demonstrate peacefully rather than simply killing Israeli civilians and throwing more petrol onto the fire.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies