Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2019, 09:33:51 am
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderators: NYGurl, Torie, Associate Justice PiT)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 379404 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: April 11, 2014, 08:37:26 pm »

Caffeine should be legal but strongly regulated.

This is a joke, right?

I know there's no way it's realistically happening but I'm a Mormon and I don't drink caffeine.

Along those lines, are alcohol and caffeine considered equivalent in Mormonism? All the Mormons I know seem to be uncomfortable around people drinking alcohol but not bothered by coffee. Why is this?
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1001 on: April 19, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »

End the war on drugs, pass ENDA, equal rights for LGBT, ban states from passing right to work, and end the War on Women.
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.35

« Reply #1002 on: April 19, 2014, 04:48:58 pm »
« Edited: April 19, 2014, 08:39:56 pm by Senator Goldwater »

End the war on drugs, pass ENDA, equal rights for LGBT, ban states from passing right to work, and end the War on Women.

I was unaware of this war. We clearly shouldn't be wasting our military's budget on such a costly and pointless endeavor.
Meursault
YaBB God
« Reply #1003 on: April 19, 2014, 04:50:51 pm »

This is a joke, right?

I know there's no way it's realistically happening but I'm a Mormon and I don't drink caffeine.

Do you think that the socio-political views of Mormonism ought to be extended to cover non-Mormons?
Solidarity Forever
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1004 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:41 pm »

This is a joke, right?

I live in a suburb and don't own a gun. Therefore gun ownership should be legal but strongly regulated.
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.35

« Reply #1005 on: April 22, 2014, 09:48:39 pm »

This is a joke, right?

I live in a suburb and don't own a gun. Therefore gun ownership should be legal but strongly regulated.

I get the joke, but isn't that your actual view on gun control? Tongue
ElectionsGuy
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.87, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1006 on: April 22, 2014, 10:14:15 pm »

I'll try:

Social Policy
Abortion: Absolutely opposed. Pro-life 100%
Drugs: All should be illegal, including tobacco and alcohol. Caffeine should be legal but strongly regulated.
Censorship: It's absolutely necessary to protect our children. I have a two-year-old niece so I know.
Gay Marriage: Absolutely opposed. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Civil unions are a state issue. Just don't call it marriage.
Death penalty: Absolutely opposed.
Prostitution: Absolutely opposed. It's legal in my state but not my county.
Church and State: Freedom of religion for all.
Stem cell research: Absolutely opposed. The government under no circumstances should violate the sanctity of human life.
PATRIOT Act: Necessary to keep us safe.
Gun control: As an NRA member and firearms enthusiast, keep your hands off my guns government!
Assisted suicide: Absolutely opposed. (See Abortion, Death Penalty and Stem Cells)
Gambling: Absolutely opposed. Used to be a big gambler in college though.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: Support them. Get the old bastards out of office!
Voting Age: 18 is fine with me
Campaign Finance Reform: Absolutely necessary to make sure everyone has a fair shot, eliminate the influence of corporate fat-cats on politics and leave the decision to the people!
Gerrymandering: Should be done by a non-partisan commission. Strongly support the Tanner Proposal.
Voter ID: Absolutely opposed as it disenfranchises the vote of the poor and minorities.

Economic Issues
Welfare: Strongly support it. Makes sure everyone has a fair shot in society.
Unions: Strongly support them! Equal rights for the workers!
Privatization: The Government needs to control some industries. The fat-cats can't become too powerful.
Environment: Global warming and pollution are big problems. The government needs to act on them or the earth will suffer.
Minimum Wage: Raise it! Even $10 is too low in my opinion. Make it at least $12.
Taxation: Tax hikes for the rich! Everyone needs to pay their fair share, especially the top 1% as they have much more to pay.
Healthcare: Obamacare is a great idea but horribly executed (plus it promotes abortion and contraception) so I oppose it. I strongly support universal healthcare though. The US needs to have something like the British NHS, not Obamacare.
Trade: Needs to have some restrictions.
Embargo: My co-worker's Cuban and we both agree the embargo's absolutely neccesary.
Pork: Not really sure what that is??
Subsidies: If the government was to pay for something why not?
Military: Increase spending. It's a dangerous world out there!

Foreign Policy
War: Supported Iraq when it happened. Think we should stay in Afghanistan. Consider myself fairly hawkish. BTW, my dad and two of my uncles are Vietnam Veterans. Both my grandads fought in WWII.
Israel-Palestine: Pro-Israel. The Jews need a homeland after the devastation the Holocaust caused them. The Muslims already have the rest of the peninsula plus Central Asia, half of Africa and Turkey.
Draft: Unless there's another World War, no.
UN: I like the UN but think it needs to be much stronger.
Nukes: Get Iran and North Korea away from them!!!
Foreign Aid: If a country is in trouble, we have to help them!

Ha! It seems me and you have the exact opposite viewpoints, except on guns. Any reason your pro-freedom on that issue in particular?
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

P P
« Reply #1007 on: April 27, 2014, 01:07:09 am »

I'm a general progressive on most issues. End the war on drugs, down with Reaganomics, restore the New Deal, death to neoliberals, nationwide legal gay marriage, stringently pro-choice, peace and love, yada yada yada.

I suppose the big difference between me and well, every other progressive on earth, is that I support a more authoritarian government - a dictatorship if need be - to enact these policies. This is because, democracy, while a good idea in theory, is far too easy to be corrupted for the interests of the power-hungry elite. The corporate media manipulates the people into voting against their own interests distressingly often. In an authoritarian government, however, the manipulation of the people would have little to no effect, because the people would not control the government to begin with.

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

So, there's that. I dunno what you call my ideology. Authoritarian paternalist progressivism?
TNF
YaBB God

« Reply #1008 on: April 27, 2014, 01:57:39 pm »

Destroy capitalism.
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica
« Reply #1009 on: April 30, 2014, 09:15:29 pm »

Destroy capitalism.

F-

The Requirements for the paper are at least 1500 words.  Son, you got to quit drinking.
Maxwell
mah519
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1010 on: May 03, 2014, 08:19:45 pm »

I'm a general progressive on most issues. End the war on drugs, down with Reaganomics, restore the New Deal, death to neoliberals, nationwide legal gay marriage, stringently pro-choice, peace and love, yada yada yada.

I suppose the big difference between me and well, every other progressive on earth, is that I support a more authoritarian government - a dictatorship if need be - to enact these policies. This is because, democracy, while a good idea in theory, is far too easy to be corrupted for the interests of the power-hungry elite. The corporate media manipulates the people into voting against their own interests distressingly often. In an authoritarian government, however, the manipulation of the people would have little to no effect, because the people would not control the government to begin with.

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

So, there's that. I dunno what you call my ideology. Authoritarian paternalist progressivism?

Dear god.
TNF
YaBB God

« Reply #1011 on: May 03, 2014, 08:23:43 pm »

Sounds like Leninism to me.
ElectionsGuy
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.87, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1012 on: May 03, 2014, 09:57:54 pm »

You know there's something wrong when government is being compared to caring parents.
Meursault
YaBB God
« Reply #1013 on: May 04, 2014, 09:37:12 am »

I vacillate a lot, becausd I hate idees fixees. Most of the time my views hover somewhere between egoist anarchism, Sorellian syndicalism, the more intellectual anti-biologist strains of protofascism, and surrealism. All of it is aesthetic. Politics is aesthetic.
Cath
Cathcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1014 on: May 05, 2014, 06:09:18 pm »

I think "the worst" suffices for a name.
rpryor03
YaBB God
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1015 on: May 06, 2014, 10:53:41 am »

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-life, with exceptions for rape, incest, and the mother's health.
Gay Marriage: There is no fathomable reason not to legalize it.
Drugs: Legalize marijuana, lower the drinking age to 18.
Stem Cell Research: Stem Cell research saves lives.
Death Penalty: For capital punishment in extreme cases (e.g. Murder)
Gun control: Institute universal background checks, as well as a registry.
Affirmative Action: Race based AA is nothing more than reverse discrimination.
Prostitution: Do not legalize.
Euthanasia: Terminally ill patients should be allowed to end their lives.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Do not increase it and tie it to inflation
Welfare: Cut welfare off after 2 years.
Right-to-Work: Fully support Right-to-Work.
Taxation: Cut taxes for everyone.
Healthcare: Privatize it.
Social Security: Privatize it.
Trade: Free trade is great.
Education: More funding to education, allow school vouchers.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes, with amendments.

Foreign Policy and National Security
Afghanistan: Pull out.
Iraq: It's not an issue anymore.
Iran: Diplomacy is the best course of action.
Syria: The United States has no interest getting involved.
Cuba: End the travel ban and trade embargo.
Military Spending: Do not cut.
PATRIOT Act: A disgusting bill. Repeal certain sections.
NSA Spying: Blatantly unconstitutional.
Palestine: Recognize Palestine.
Israel: Israel is our ally.
Immigration: Make the legal immigration process much simpler, deport all illegal aliens.
Guantanamo Bay: it's an embarrassing chapter in American history and it needs to be shut down

Environment
Climate Change: Climate change is real.
Green Energy: Invest in alternate energy. It's good for the environment, creates jobs, and helps us achieve energy independence
Keystone XL Pipeline: It's worth it.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Don't abolish it.
Gerrymandering: All districts should be drawn using the shortest split-line method.
Term limits: We already have term limits, it's called voting out incumbents. Legislating is a complicated process, and we don't need congress filled with inexperienced legislators.
Voter ID: Should be mandatory.
Compulsory Voting: It creates more problems than it solve.
Voter Registration: Voter registration should be automatic.
Statehood: If a majority of citizens of a territory support statehood, than that territory should receive statehood.
Edgar Suit Larry
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1016 on: May 19, 2014, 12:37:25 pm »

Social Policy
AbortionSad/b] I am pro-life. However, I do not believe it's within my rights to take this away from someone. I would rather incentivize adoption and make it a more attractive option for mothers who do not want to raise a child.
Drugs: My main concern with this is pushing people away from jail who are users and pushing the distributors towards it. This would be done through decriminalization of some, if not all, recreational drugs, and placing very strong laws on the production and distribution of the drugs.
Censorship: Thoroughly against it.
Gay Marriage: Pro-gay marriage. More or less I don't see why it's my business. Marriage isn't a religious institution historically. I don't see why I should distort the facts to maintain an antiquated social norm.
Death penalty: State issue. I don't believe I could carry this out in anything other than an extreme circumstance, ie Osama or Hitler.
Prostitution: State issue.
Church and State: Fine with where we're currently at, but common sense should rule this debate. If a town wants to put up a Christmas tree, let them.
Stem cell research: Fully support this and the advancement of science in general.
PATRIOT Act: Repeal it.
Gun control: I'm fine with the imposition of some simple restrictions, ie background checks at gun shows. But, overall, I would want it to be coupled with a guarantee of the security of rights to gun owners and advancement of mental health studies.
Assisted suicide: No.
Gambling: I'd be in favor of some gambling reforms; however, I'm not sure what they'd be.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: 20 for SCOTUS judges, 12 for Senate members, and 8 for House members.
Voting Age: 18
Campaign Finance Reform: Ban lobbying nearly completely and restrict donations to certain periods.
Gerrymandering: Proportional.
Voter ID: I'm very torn on this.

Economic Issues
Welfare: Reform social security, medicare, medicaid and replace Obamacare. Social security would be replaced for those under 40 with a private fund. Those private funds would have a safety net of a certain amount of dollars. Those making more than a certain amount will not receive SS. Most of my health reform will be discussed in the appropriate section. In terms of the impoverished, those who cannot help themselves should be given aid, but those who are generally poor should be pushed toward employment by offering skill training and like programs.
Unions: They're basically dead. Localized unions without a nation, or state-wide, apparatus can be beneficial.
Privatization: In favor of some privatization efforts.
Environment: Very much pro-environmental progress. I may be skeptical of global warming timelines; however, there are only positive externalities to the progress of this. It will also help us grow our economy substantially if we become the leader in green energy.
Minimum Wage: Australian, age based, system.
Taxation: Cut the death tax to 10%. Cut corporate taxes and close loopholes. I'm in favor of taxes raises and cuts depending on the economic situation.
Healthcare: Payment reform is required. Doctors should receive a salary, not payment based on the services they perform. Near complete elimination of paperwork. The costs associated with PAPER are astronomical. This baffles me. Deincentivize negative life choices like cigarette smoking. Cut the state restrictions on insurance companies and place national reforms on the industry. Tax reform on employer insurance coverage. Tort reform. Voucher, or similar, system with Medicare.
I would also be infavor of an outside the box idea, like enrolling in an exchange of competitive bidding where companies would bid to cover your service. This would be a more free market option, but I'm not sure how it would work.
Trade: Free trade.
Embargo: End the embargo with Cuba. It will push them towards capitalism
Pork: Ban
Subsidies: In favor of them if they will return either a highly beneficial addition to the economy or something that is fantastic, but otherwise impossible.
Military: Cut the waste. Efficiency is key for me in every part of the budget.

Foreign Policy
War: It's a foreign policy tool. One that I would use if needed. That said, I strongly prefer the use of other means to support the interests of this country.
Israel-Palestine: Recognize Israel and negotiate an Arab mega-state similar to the Ottoman Empire and what was being planned with Hussein bin Ali.
Draft: No. No. No.
UN: The UN is fine, but I don't take them seriously. I'd do what I want.
Nukes: Support a world wide proliferation effort.
Foreign Aid: Support nations who need it. These nations do not need hefty sums to derive heavy returns. However, I would generally support a substitution of American products and training aid to nations.

Its really interesting how there is a bigger trend to consider oneself  pro-life but not being interested in arresting people for abortions. A trend for the better in that people are looking for workable and non-violent solutions?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1017 on: May 23, 2014, 09:16:36 pm »

Stem Cell Research:Absolutely opposed

Do you mean embryonic stem cell research or literally all stem cell research? If all, please explain as I've never encountered anyone with that view before.
Solidarity Forever
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1018 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:31 pm »

This is a joke, right?

I get the joke, but isn't that your actual view on gun control? Tongue

Oh, yes.
GaussLaw
YaBB God
« Reply #1019 on: May 29, 2014, 10:36:17 pm »

It's people like you that make me want to dash to the GOP, even though I disagree a lot with their policies.

I'll get more detailed later, but the essence is:
Foreign policy:  depends on the situation; support strong military but also one that does not get involved easily
Social Issues:  I'm liberal on abortion/gay marriage, but oppose legalizing drugs/prostitution and support restrictions like Stop and Frisk, wiretapping, etc.(tend to value security over civil liberty, except in egregious violations like the NSA)
Economic issues:  Reform Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security, invest more in alternative energies, keep tax code progressive but reduce business taxes, expand aid to poor, promote upward mobility
Solidarity Forever
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1020 on: May 30, 2014, 08:10:28 pm »

Reform Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security

expand aid to poor, promote upward mobility

Something's not right here...
GaussLaw
YaBB God
« Reply #1021 on: May 30, 2014, 08:28:42 pm »

Reform Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security

expand aid to poor, promote upward mobility

Something's not right here...

Reform doesn't necessarily mean gut.  For instance, I am in favor of means-testing so richer people are not eligible for as much in social security benefits as well as possibly removing the income cap for social security taxes.  Medicare/Medicaid need reform to keep them solvent and not blowing a hole in our budget, as anyone who reads CBO graphs can attest to. 

We spend far less on a lot of aid to the poor compared to "the big 3"(I know Medicaid helps poor people, but I'm talking about a lot of community-based stuff as well as certain investments in education).

For instance, I favor a strong, strong investment in Boys and Girls clubs for after-school programs and a significant emphasis on STEM fields. With regards to upward mobility, in addition to education, I am a big believer in spending more on job training and vocational education for all ages.  A lot of money should also be deployed on the ground to help address root problems with gangs.
sjoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1022 on: May 31, 2014, 04:02:08 pm »
« Edited: May 31, 2014, 04:10:20 pm by Senator Meiji (D-NC) »

Socially: I'm personally fairly conservative on social issues, but a lot of that's overridden by some sort of libertarianism. I'm not a SJW, I don't support removing religious references from currency, I support exemptions for religious organizations/charities from the contraception mandate, and I support a ban on abortions after around 20 weeks. But I'm pro-SSM, anti-death penalty, and want to legalize assisted suicide - I don't like the government getting to decide who gets to die and when and who can get married. Not a really cohesive policy here - mushy centrism. Not the stuff I like to talk about.

Domestically: A lot more liberal than my position on social issues. I oppose internet regulation, the Patriot Act, gerrymandering, drug prohibition, voter ID, and Citizens United. Probably the only ones I lean conservative on is opposition to increased gun control (especially things like an 'assault weapons' ban) and race-based affirmative action. I support term limits so long as they're not strict term limits - I think 8 years is too short for a legislator, but something longer (double that?) could work. It's about balancing legislative experience with turnover. I support most of Obamacare, but health policy isn't an area of expertise.

Economics: Raise the minimum wage and index it to inflation. Condition welfare on working, looking for work, or being enrolled in job training or education programs. Stop subsidies for massive agribusinesses. Protect pension plans for government employees. The military is where we can make the most cuts without harming the average American. Reform the corporate tax system to go after companies like General Electric, and reduce our rates in relation to whatever revenues we can get from that - having the world's highest rate doesn't make sense, but neither does having major companies avoiding taxes.

Foreign Policy: Much more peaceful than we have now. Cut military spending, ground the drones, stop spying on our allies, stop giving ridiculous amounts of aid to Israel, end the embargo on Cuba, give constitutional trials to foreign terror suspects, and so on. I support engaging with the UN.

Education: I support increasing education funding. I like the concept of Common Core but believe it has been implemented extremely poorly.

Environment: My environmental policy is generally pro-science and pro-clean energy. I support taking steps to incentivize the development of green energy, I oppose expanding offshore drilling, and I believe in global warming. I'm pro-fracking, pro-nuke, pro-Keystone and pro-GMO, however, because they don't prevent anywhere near the kind of environmental threat global warming does. I support feeding the hungry and new sources of clean(er) energy.

Immigration: Give a temporary amnesty for non-violent criminals currently working in the US, give their children citizenship (and in-state tuition), and offer a path to citizenship. They should get access to the same basic services (subsidized healthcare) we give to others. I oppose forcing them to learn English or deporting them on minor charges - focus on just deporting violent criminals.
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1023 on: June 01, 2014, 09:58:36 am »

I'll try:

Social Policy
Abortion: Absolutely opposed. Pro-life 100%
Drugs: All should be illegal, including tobacco and alcohol. Caffeine should be legal but strongly regulated.
Censorship: It's absolutely necessary to protect our children. I have a two-year-old niece so I know.
Gay Marriage: Absolutely opposed. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Civil unions are a state issue. Just don't call it marriage.
Death penalty: Absolutely opposed.
Prostitution: Absolutely opposed. It's legal in my state but not my county.
Church and State: Freedom of religion for all.
Stem cell research: Absolutely opposed. The government under no circumstances should violate the sanctity of human life.
PATRIOT Act: Necessary to keep us safe.
Gun control: As an NRA member and firearms enthusiast, keep your hands off my guns government!
Assisted suicide: Absolutely opposed. (See Abortion, Death Penalty and Stem Cells)
Gambling: Absolutely opposed. Used to be a big gambler in college though.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: Support them. Get the old bastards out of office!
Voting Age: 18 is fine with me
Campaign Finance Reform: Absolutely necessary to make sure everyone has a fair shot, eliminate the influence of corporate fat-cats on politics and leave the decision to the people!
Gerrymandering: Should be done by a non-partisan commission. Strongly support the Tanner Proposal.
Voter ID: Absolutely opposed as it disenfranchises the vote of the poor and minorities.

Economic Issues
Welfare: Strongly support it. Makes sure everyone has a fair shot in society.
Unions: Strongly support them! Equal rights for the workers!
Privatization: The Government needs to control some industries. The fat-cats can't become too powerful.
Environment: Global warming and pollution are big problems. The government needs to act on them or the earth will suffer.
Minimum Wage: Raise it! Even $10 is too low in my opinion. Make it at least $12.
Taxation: Tax hikes for the rich! Everyone needs to pay their fair share, especially the top 1% as they have much more to pay.
Healthcare: Obamacare is a great idea but horribly executed (plus it promotes abortion and contraception) so I oppose it. I strongly support universal healthcare though. The US needs to have something like the British NHS, not Obamacare.
Trade: Needs to have some restrictions.
Embargo: My co-worker's Cuban and we both agree the embargo's absolutely neccesary.
Pork: Not really sure what that is??
Subsidies: If the government was to pay for something why not?
Military: Increase spending. It's a dangerous world out there!

Foreign Policy
War: Supported Iraq when it happened. Think we should stay in Afghanistan. Consider myself fairly hawkish. BTW, my dad and two of my uncles are Vietnam Veterans. Both my grandads fought in WWII.
Israel-Palestine: Pro-Israel. The Jews need a homeland after the devastation the Holocaust caused them. The Muslims already have the rest of the peninsula plus Central Asia, half of Africa and Turkey.
Draft: Unless there's another World War, no.
UN: I like the UN but think it needs to be much stronger.
Nukes: Get Iran and North Korea away from them!!!
Foreign Aid: If a country is in trouble, we have to help them!
You sound like a New Deal-style populist.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1024 on: June 03, 2014, 10:24:26 am »
« Edited: August 11, 2014, 09:20:56 am by Governor Cranberry »

I just realized I didn't do this when I registered, so here we go:

Social Policy:
Abortion: Already starting with a tough one. I find it quite funny how everyone here has total positions, yet I don't think any of them would know what to do if they were in that situation. I think, you must be really desperate if you consider it, and even more desperate if you want to do it. And the guilt and shame you have for the rest of your life must be very hard to bear. So totally legalizing it? I don't know, maybe...
GaySame Sex Marriage: It's a shame that we even have to discuss this in the 21st century. Of course legalize!
Drugs: Well, I think we can all agree the War on Drugs has failed. And should it really be the government's responsibility to save one from oneself? (I know I have a really libertarian approach here) So, legalize most of them, I'd say, maybe all of them, I don't really know. De-criminalize of course all drug-issues.  
Stem Cell Research: I don't think the government should be in the way of scientific progress.
Death Penalty: I for one don't think I'm in the position to judge over a person's right to live. I don't particular like the death penalty, even for the most horrendous crimes.
Gun control: Excessive control, but more important educate young people that they use their guns, if they have to do, in an appropiate way.
Prostitution: Well, if they do it willingly, why not? Stronger measures against pimps and forced prostritution, though.
Euthanasia: If a person, or this person's next relative should the person not be able to react anymore, really wants it; why should we let them suffer?

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage:Raise it to 14$ for now, then bind it to economical growth rate. Rise other wages until a certain level by the same percentage, though.
Welfare: Everyone should have a low basic income exactly or a bit over the poverty line, which should be below the lowest wages however. People working part-time and earning less than this basic income should be paid a part of it, that makes their income higher.
Right-to-Work: Such laws are barbaric.
Taxation: Cut taxes for the poor, increase them for the rich.
Healthcare: Completely public-owned single-payer system.
Social Security: Keep your private hands off social security!
Trade: The idea of Free Trade is great, the world however is uneuqal, and not until every nation is at about the same level, and every human being has the same chances, free trade will always be at the expense of one or the other trade partner.                          
Education: All forms of education shall be free, as education is the key to a nation's success. Especially fund lesser priviliged areas, while no further funding to more priviliged areas, until every student has equal chances and an equal position to start his life from.
Balanced Budget Amendment: As long as a government is able to repay its debts, why shouldn't it make new, when it needs money? The whole system is odd, and at some time will crash, but until then - why not making new debts? It is evidently working, as long as the economy is working.

Foreign Policy and National Security

Afghanistan: Should have never got in.
Iraq: Should have never got in.
Iran: Diplomacy is far better than a war.
Syria: It's very hard to tell who's bad and who's good in Syria. Help the people with huminitarian aid, but else keep out.
Cuba: Oh come on... If you legitemately want to keep the embargo up, you should make one to China as well.
Military Spending: Cut extremely.
PATRIOT Act: I can't really combine that piece of legilsation with the american ideal of Freedom, you all are so proud of. Can you help me, 'muricans?
NSA Spying: Not even considering that they are spying on allies, I wouldn't want that as American. Practically the same answer as above.
Palestine: Should have been recognized a long time ago. (My government is no better here, though.)
Israel: Of course, Isreal has a perfectly legitimate right to exist. It should however not recieve any better treatment than Palestine. (Here you have it - I'm a nazi)
Immigration: Make it miuch easier to come to your country, 'muricans. (After all, maybe at some point I would like to get there too Tongue)
Guantanamo Bay: Well, apart that the area is technically Cuban territory, that prison there is a violation of about every international treaty I can come up with. I'd be ashamed if I were an American.

Environment
Climate Change: Climate change is happening. We should do everything we can to slow it down, and minimize its effects.
Green Energy: In my dream world, the total electricity would be gained by water, wind, sun, geothermics... every single one of these futuristic technolgies little green men from sector X7B-T will teach us of.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Kill it with fire!

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: It makes presidential elections different from every other country's. That's about the only positive thing I can come up with.
Gerrymandering: Multi-member districts drawn by an independent, non-partisan comission.
Term limits: I think the current way of doing things is sufficient.
Voter ID: I'm quite a fan of the Austrian system - you get sent your invitation to voting, you take that letter to the poll, you vote. Plus - voting per letter is the future!
Compulsory Voting: If people don't want to vote and decide their future, why should they be forced to?
Voter Registration: Voter registration should be automatic.
Statehood: If the people in the territory are for statehood - boom, you become a state. Puerto Rico and DC should be - DC maybe as part of Maryland.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies