Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 06, 2019, 10:59:04 am
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderators: TG, Associate Justice PiT)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 58 Print
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 406327 times)
The Invisible Hand (that suicided Jeffrey Epstein)
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: September 10, 2014, 04:45:41 pm »

What does it mean for insurance companies to "compete across state lines"? Should there be some sort of law saying that states can't restrict the production or purchase to/from out of state individuals and businesses?

My take on it is that it is a reform that is similar to the savings/loans liberalization of the 80s where South Dakota all the sudden was where everyone got credit cards from.  I could see Wal-Mart getting into the insurance/hospital business, even more so than just $30 nurse station and $4 prescription plans. It could be a way to provide minimal universal coverage through libertarian means or it could mean mass speculation that eventually leads to a bubble, a burst and then monopolization.
Incipimus iterum
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1051 on: September 22, 2014, 09:19:34 am »

Abortion: Pro-choice, Personally Pro-life
Gun Control: Pro gun support more background Checks
Same-sex Marriage: Personally Against but not my job to tell others what to do leave it to the States
Campaign Finance reform: Overturn Citizens United More strict campaign finance reform and Term Limits
Education: States Know Better how to manage there local education systems, goverment can help by providing federal aid
Taxes: Reform the tax code get rid off loopholes, penalize companys that outsource jobs
more to come

Free Bird
TheHawk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

P P P
« Reply #1052 on: September 27, 2014, 07:05:22 pm »

Based from NickCT but changed to my own
Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-choice, keep abortion safe, legal, and rare, but only during the first trimester.
Gay Marriage: Fully supportive of LGBT rights.
Drugs: Follow the Portugal model.
Stem Cell Research: Stem Cell research saves lives should be expanded.
Death Penalty: Only for murder.
Gun control: Institute universal background checks,but nothing else. Sharply oppose national registry
Affirmative Action: Racially-based affirmative action is reverse discrimination, and I support its full repeal.
Women's Rights: I support an ERA and the passage of equal pay.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: A small increase ($10.10 is too high) and balance it with targeted cuts for small businesses.
Welfare: Cut welfare off after 2 years.
Right-to-Work: Fully support Right-to-Work.
Taxation: Cut taxes across the board. Repeal all sales and estate taxes, and instill tariffs and consumption taxes instead.
Healthcare: Make doctors' paychecks come from taxes, like postal workers
Social Security: Privatize, but keep the federal part, too
Education: More funding to education, allow school vouchers.  Additionally, we need to get rid of Common Core and eliminate teacher tenure.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Aye

Foreign Policy and National Security
Iran: Diplomacy is the best course of action.
Iraq/Syria: We aren't the police of the world, but ISIS killed Americans. That justifies attack in my book
Military Spending: There certainly exists waste in the Department, find it and eliminate it.
PATRIOT Act: Destroy it
NSA Spying: Destroy this also.
Israel/Palestine: We must recognize Israel's blatant disregard for human life, but it is wrong to say that their actions are not justified.  I ultimately side with Israel, but I'm not blind about the errors in their ways.
Immigration: Make the legal immigration process much simpler, strengthen the border, and then provide a pathway to citizenship for illegals.

Environment
Climate Change: It aint real, but still act like it was and take action to prevent it
Green Energy: Invest in alternate energy. It's good for the environment, creates jobs, and helps us achieve energy independence, but maintain oil
Keystone XL Pipeline: We need this pipeline to create jobs, and I believe it is worth it.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Destroy it. Popular vote
Gerrymandering: Keep it nonpartisan
Presidential term: The president should serve one six-year term without the ability to run for reelection.  This would make the Office more effective and help combat a lot of the government's problems. (Never thought of this. Good idea.)
Public Financing: Complete public financing of campaigns, removing outside groups and the like will do a great deal to helping our political system.  I used to hate the idea, but the inability of Congress to work has changed my mind.
Term limits: No more than twelve years in the legislative branch, for a total of twenty four if you want to be in both houses
Voter ID: I have no problem with Voter ID's, Connecticut has had the law for as long as I can remember, but the recent attempts in the South are clearly being done for political reasons.  We should want to prevent voter fraud, but we should help qualified voters get identification.
Voting: I support instant-run-off voting.
New_Conservative
BrandenCordeiro
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1053 on: October 09, 2014, 03:15:23 pm »

Based from NickCT but changed to my own
Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-choice, keep abortion safe, legal, and rare, but only during the first trimester.
Drugs: Follow the Portugal model.
Stem Cell Research: Stem Cell research saves lives should be expanded.
Death Penalty: Only for murder.
Gun control: Institute universal background checks,but nothing else. Sharply oppose national registry
Affirmative Action: Racially-based affirmative action is reverse discrimination, and I support its full repeal.
Women's Rights: I support an ERA and the passage of equal pay.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: A small increase ($10.10 is too high) and balance it with targeted cuts for small businesses.
Welfare: Cut welfare off after 2 years.
Right-to-Work: Fully support Right-to-Work.
Taxation: Cut taxes across the board. Repeal all sales and estate taxes, and instill tariffs and consumption taxes instead.
Healthcare: Make doctors' paychecks come from taxes, like postal workers
Social Security: Privatize, but keep the federal part, too
Education: More funding to education, allow school vouchers.  Additionally, we need to get rid of Common Core and eliminate teacher tenure.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Aye

Iraq/Syria: We aren't the police of the world, but ISIS killed Americans. That justifies attack in my book
Military Spending: There certainly exists waste in the Department, find it and eliminate it.
PATRIOT Act: Destroy it
NSA Spying: Destroy this also.
Israel/Palestine: We must recognize Israel's blatant disregard for human life, but it is wrong to say that their actions are not justified.  I ultimately side with Israel, but I'm not blind about the errors in their ways.
Immigration: Make the legal immigration process much simpler, strengthen the border, and then provide a pathway to citizenship for illegals.

Environment
Climate Change: It aint real, but still act like it was and take action to prevent it
Green Energy: Invest in alternate energy. It's good for the environment, creates jobs, and helps us achieve energy independence, but maintain oil
Keystone XL Pipeline: We need this pipeline to create jobs, and I believe it is worth it.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Destroy it. Popular vote
Gerrymandering: Keep it nonpartisan
Presidential term: The president should serve one six-year term without the ability to run for reelection.  This would make the Office more effective and help combat a lot of the government's problems. (Never thought of this. Good idea.)
Public Financing: Complete public financing of campaigns, removing outside groups and the like will do a great deal to helping our political system.  I used to hate the idea, but the inability of Congress to work has changed my mind.
Term limits: No more than twelve years in the legislative branch, for a total of twenty four if you want to be in both houses
Voter ID: I have no problem with Voter ID's, Connecticut has had the law for as long as I can remember, but the recent attempts in the South are clearly being done for political reasons.  We should want to prevent voter fraud, but we should help qualified voters get identification.
Voting: I support instant-run-off voting.

This confused me a bit.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
YaBB God
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1054 on: October 12, 2014, 10:39:36 am »

Social Policy:
Abortion: pro-choice but provide free birth control to everyone so it isn't necessary as often
Gay Marriage: support (sane)
Drugs: drug use of any kind should be decriminalised, marijuana fully legalised
Stem Cell Research: fully support
Death Penalty: sociopathic and immoral
Gun control: support background checks & state registries. oppose restrictions on what kinds of guns can be sold
Affirmative Action: is an inadequate solution. however i strongly support maintaining it until the root causes of racial inequality are eradicated (if ever)
Women's Rights: support an equal rights amendment, nationwide introduction of "yes means yes" consent laws, equal pay, etc

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: replace w/ guaranteed minimum income independent of employment
Welfare: see above
Right-to-Work: no
Taxation: higher capital-gains and property taxes, cap on inheritance, lower sales taxes
Healthcare: support a fully single-payer system
Social Security: see above, folded into the minimum income program
Education: integrate all schools (incl. private schools) by race and income, greatly increase funding.
Balanced Budget Amendment: fck no. not while people still follow the cult of norquist.

Iran: actually one of the better countries in the region. try to improve our relationship
Iraq/Syria: the us should have intervened in syria long ago.
Military Spending: significantly reduce
PATRIOT Act: eww no
NSA Spying: ^^
Israel/Palestine: diplomatic recognition of palestine as an independent state. israel must stop further settlements but the current ones can remain
Immigration: eliminate most restrictions on immigration altogether. border control should only be used to prevent smuggling and the like.

Environment
Climate Change: is the biggest problem. unilateral geo-engineering is the only solution.
Green Energy: support.
Keystone XL Pipeline: oppose.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: against. hopefully the npvc will render it irrelevant soon
Gerrymandering: have the courts draw the districts
Presidential term: abolish term limits
Public Financing: strongly support. at the very least citizens united should be overturned
Term limits: no
Voter ID: support if said id's are free and easily available
Voting: expand early/postal voting
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1055 on: October 12, 2014, 01:03:27 pm »

Social Issues:
Abortion: Free, legal, and on demand at any point during pregnancy with no restrictions and no questions asked. Provide free birth control, comprehensive sex education in schools, paid maternity leave, and a national day care service to reduce the need for abortion.
Drugs: Legalize all of them, with 16 as the legal purchase age. Nationalize the pharmaceutical and recreational drug sectors.
Marriage: Ideally marriage should be abolished, but if we must have it, it should be allowed equally. Legalize Same-sex marriage, polygamy, and incest.
Capital Punishment: The state should not have the power to end its citizens lives.
Prostitution: Legalize and ban pimping.
Gun Control: The right to bear arms is a necessary human right. Nationalize the arms sector.
Affirmative Action: Guarantee everyone a job
Stem Cell research: Support (living in 2014)
Euthanasia: The terminally ill should be allowed to end their lives on their own terms. Legalize assisted suicide.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: $22/hr along with a guaranteed minimum income
Welfare: Institute a guaranteed minimum income, making wage labor a choice
Health care: Institute the Cuban model of socialized medicine
Taxation: Make the tax structure as progressive as possible. Higher taxes on the top income taxes, a 100% estate tax, abolish sales taxes and sin taxes
Unions: Give workers full control of the work place. Until then, protect the right of workers to organize. Repeal all anti-union legislation like Taft-Hartley, no right to work, protect the right to strike, and ban scabbing.
Education: Support the Democratic education model. Ban private schools.
Trade: Repeal free trade agreements like NAFTA and CAFTA
Balanced Budget Amendment: lol
Privatization: Bring all industry into democratic public ownership
Environment: Should be a top priority. Heavy investment in alternative energy.

Foreign Policy and National Security:
Iran: Diplomacy with Iran. End all sanctions.
Iraq War: Never should have happened
Afghanistan: End the War in Afghanistan and bring home all American troops.
ISIS: Provide humanitarian aid to local people fighting against ISIS, but no direct military action
Syria: Provide humanitarian aid to the rebels, but no direct military action
Cuba: End the trade embargo and travel ban and seek an alliance with Cuba
Military Spending: Cut drastically
Government Surveillance: Should be completely illegal
Israel/Palestine: Israel has no right to exist. Support a single, free, secular, democratic Palestinian state with equal rights for all its inhabitants
Immigration: Open borders and amnesty for all illegal immigrants
Guantanamo Bay: Return to Cuba
Nukes: Seek an international treaty banning nuclear weapons
Draft: There should never be a draft.

Government:
State: Smash the state
Form of Government: Direct Consensus Democracy.
Legal Courts: Settle all legal disputes with juries, not judges
Cаквояжник
CELTICEMPIRE
YaBB God
Botswana

« Reply #1056 on: October 25, 2014, 02:36:38 pm »

Social:

Abortion: Illegal with exception for mother's life
Assisted Suicide: Opposed
Death Penalty: Opposed
War on Drugs: Opposed
Gun Control: Opposed
PATRIOT Act: Opposed
Illegal Immigration: End benefits to illegals

Economic:

Monetary: Gold Standard, End the Fed
Taxes: Repeal 16th Amendment, replace with low tariffs
Spending: Drastically cut
Regulations: Deregulate
Healthcare: Privatize
Corporations: End subsidies

Foreign Policy:

Afghanistan: Pull out immediately
Iraq: Never go back
Israel/Palestine: End US support of Israel
Iran: End sanctions
Saudi Arabia: End Alliance
Russia: Develop peaceful relations
Foreign Aid: End it
UN: Leave
NATO: Leave
Military Spending: Cut by at least 50%
wifikitten
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1057 on: October 26, 2014, 02:38:42 pm »
« Edited: October 26, 2014, 02:43:22 pm by wifikitten »

Social:
Abortion: Pro-Choice, personally Pro-Life in all cases but rape, incest, danger to mothers life but I don't believe in forcing my views on others.
Gay Marriage: Legalize it!
Drugs: Fully legalize marijuana and decriminalize all other drugs.
Death Penalty: Only for mass murderers, treason, and terrorism.
Gun control: Universal background checks, assault weapon ban.
Affirmative Action: Necessary.
Prostitution: Decriminalize it.
Euthanasia: Only with the recommendation of multiple doctors with a patient who has a irreversible disease.

Economy:
Minimum Wage: Increase to $10.10 now, $15 soon.
Welfare: No changes needed.
Right-to-Work: Only right to work for less, repeal all "right to work laws"
Taxation: Minor changes for the middle class, raise on the 1% and make sure all corporations pay their taxes fully.
Healthcare: Socialize it.
Social Security: Expand it.
Education: More funding to education, repeal common core and replace with something new that includes the basics of common core.

National Security
Afghanistan: Get out.
Iraq: Air strikes, arm Kurds only.
Iran: End the embargo.
Syria: Air strikes.
Cuba: Repeal embargo, become an ally.
Military Spending: Cut, a lot.
PATRIOT Act: Repeal, repeal, repeal.
NSA Spying: Only use on suspected terrorists.
Palestine: Recognize Palestine.
Israel: Stop giving them aid until they allow Palestine to become independent.
Immigration: Amnesty for all undocumented immigrants. Reform immigration system.
Guantanamo Bay: Close it now, Return the land to Cuba.

Environment
Climate Change: Climate change is natural and man made. Cut emissions now, taper off use of coal.
Keystone XL Pipeline: No, no, and nope.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Abolish.
Gerrymandering: Districts should be created by independent commissions.
Term limits: Leave them how they are.
Voter ID: Not necessary.
Voter Registration: Voter registration should be automatic.
Statehood: Allow DC, Puerto Rico to become states.
Emperor Charles V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -6.00

« Reply #1058 on: November 02, 2014, 11:07:14 am »

Social:
Abortion: 100% Pro-Life, I believe abortion is never justified, even in cases of rape/incest
Gay Marriage: I am completely for it but also take the extra step further and believe the government should completely take itself out of marriage and make it a private institution. The only threat to the sanctity of marriage is government regulation of what should be a private matter.
Drugs: Legalize everything! The government should have no say what people put in their bodies
Death Penalty: Completely opposed to it
Gun control: 100% for Second Amendment gun rights and am an NRA member, people need to defend themselves
Affirmative Action: I am completely opposed to it and I think it's racist and doesn't fulfill it's purpose of giving minorities equal opportunities to succeed
Prostitution: Completely legalize it. It's a business and I believe the government shouldn't interfere in ANY business regardless of how "moral" it is
Euthanasia: Completely opposed
Stem Cell Research: support regular, completely oppose embryonic

Economy:
Minimum Wage: This is a state issue (having a federal minimum wage is bogus IMO) and raising it only will cost more jobs
Welfare: I do believe it's necessary unlike some more radical libertarians but people should be required to work
Right-to-Work: Yes, this is common sense, people should have a choice in whether or not they want to join a union
Taxation: Abolish the federal income tax (repeal the 16th Amendment) and the IRS, change "progressive" taxes to flat taxes
Monetary Policy: bring back the gold standard, end the fed!
Corporation Subsidies: Hell no
Balanced Budget Amendment: yes, this is common sense IMO
Healthcare: Repeal Obamacare, it's a state issue, privatize it but if states want to pass their own health care laws, go ahead, abolish the Department of Health and Human Services
Social Security: Leave it the way it is
Education: 100% a state issue, abolish the Department of Ed, common core is a train wreck

National Security
Afghanistan: Get out, opposed to the war since the beginning
Iraq: The war was a horrible mistake, get completely out
Iran: So what if they develop a nuclear weapon, they do not threaten our national security.
Syria: Please no war with them, please no.
Cuba: End the embargo.
Military Spending: Cut it, we spend WAY too much on useless wars
PATRIOT Act: Get ing rid of this horrible piece of legislation!
NSA Spying: NO!!!!!
Palestine & Israel: The United States does not need to police this area. I do support a two state solution but we don't need excessive U.S. military involvement in the region for that to happen.
Immigration: I am pro-immigration reform. Though I do think we should increase border security we need to have a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants and make it much easier for immigrant to get into this country with the proper documentation in the first place. We are a country of immigrants and immigration should be safe, easy and efficient.
Guantanamo Bay: Close it, it's useless

Environment
Climate Change: I'm sorry but I'm not buying the "scientific proof" that humans cause it. Sure it's happening but nothing outside of natural cycles.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Common sense, will create thousands of jobs.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: I am 100% for national popular vote but keep the electoral college for ceremonial purposes. So in other words, states will allocate electors based on who wins the National Popular Vote, not who wins in the states
Gerrymandering: Independent commissions
Term limits: these should be set by the states but I think the best option is 4 two-year terms for the House and 2 six-year terms for the Senate.
Voter ID: Completely opposed. Voter fraud is barely a problem and come on, do we need a national ID card to combat a very small problem?
Voter Registration: Should be automatic, see no reason why it shouldn't be
Statehood: should be completely up to the territory who wants to be a state and is best accomplished via referendum
Oakvale
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1059 on: November 02, 2014, 11:33:36 am »

I'd just like to point out that "it should be left to the states" or whatever is not an actual position. It's like saying "foreign policy should be left to the federal government". Yes, and?
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.35

« Reply #1060 on: November 02, 2014, 11:52:35 am »

I'd just like to point out that "it should be left to the states" or whatever is not an actual position. It's like saying "foreign policy should be left to the federal government". Yes, and?

I remember when I first joined this forum that was my answer to just about every social issue. Not so much anymore.
Nat. Sec. Council Member Dwarven Dragon
Wulfric
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: 1.22

P

« Reply #1061 on: November 02, 2014, 11:02:48 pm »

Social:

Abortion: Illegal, except in cases of rape, incest, and life of the mother. No federal funding. Open to legal abortion in cases where the fetus is known to have severe genetic disabilities (e.g. those that make one have a vegetable-style life), but no further than that.

Gay Marriage: I personally am O.K. with civil unions and am opposed to full marriage, but this is really something that should be left up to states, not activist judges or the federal government.

Drugs: Full legalization of Marijuana with a substantial excise tax, just like we have for Tobacco. Everything else stays illegal, but focus on rehabilitation and not punishment.

Death Penalty: Only if it is a first-degree murder case with irrefutable evidence that the defendant is guilty, approved by at least two jury trials. Dramatically reduce time spent on death row, and switch to far quicker method of death (Personally, I don't really see what's the big deal with beheading. They're going to die no matter what method you use, so why not do a quick beheading rather than a lethal injection that doesn't kill right away and even fails to kill on rare occasions?) .

Gun Control: Expand background checks to all gun shows and the entire internet. Open to assault weapons ban. Nothing else.

Affirmative Action: Opposed. This is just a bunch of prejudice against whites.

Prostitution: Opposed, but would probably just leave it up to the states if I was in the federal government as there are much bigger issues to deal with.

Euthansia: Allowed, but only in cases where the patient and/or all living parents have given willful consent and there is a 0% chance of recovery.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Opposed.

Fiscal:

Federal Minimum Wage: Raise gradually ($0.75 - $1) each year towards an ultimate goal of $12. After that, raise each year according to inflation.

Welfare: Yes, but require one to be working or be enrolled in some sort of job training program

Right to Work: Yes, but in a way that still keeps unions intact.

Income Tax: Substantially reduce loopholes and deductions, open to very small rate decrease for those making less than $200,000 (e.g. 1-2%).

FAIR Tax: Opposed

Corporate Tax: Drastically reduce loopholes and deductions, lower top rate to 28%.

Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes. Require a balanced budget by fiscal 2030, with exceptions for declared war that is actually being fought (i.e. congress can't use this exception unless U.S. soldiers are actually fighting in the country we've declared war against), and severe recessions (underemployment >= 15%) .

Healthcare: Keep ObamaCare, but revise it. I have many things in mind: 40 hours, not 30 hours, should be considered full-time, work to dramatically lower premiums, allow a small number of health insurance companies that provide most but not all 'Obamacare-mandated' benefits to still exist for people that don't need full coverage (ex. people that don't need maternity-related services), continue to improve the website, have open enrollment year-long, repeal the medical device tax, forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs, and require all hospitals and doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.

Medicare: Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Social Security: Eliminate payroll tax cap but lower payroll tax rate to 4.2% for those making under $200,000. Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Common Core: Opposed.

Foreign:

Afghanistan: Get Out. We've been there long enough.

Further Action in Iraq: Opposed.

Iran: Leave them alone.

Israel: Continue to be an ally, but respect its sovereignty and do not dictate its foreign or domestic policy.

Syria: Leave them alone.

Cuba: End the travel ban, gradually reestablish U.S.-Cuba trade.

Military Spending: Cut it by $200 Billion immediately, then freeze for 15 years - no exceptions, not even for inflation, unless approved by a 2/3 majority of both houses of congress and the president.

Foreign Economic Aid: I support the 'Newt Gingrich' view here. Eliminate it completely, and then have countries justify why we should give them a penny.

PATRIOT Act: Substantially weaken

Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open, but give potential prisoners a full jury trial in federal court.

Immigration Reform: Support the 'Marco Rubio' plan passed by the U.S. Senate in 2013.

Other:

Keystone XL: Approve as long as U.S. actually uses some of the oil itself rather than exporting all of it.

Electoral College: Abolish, institute NPV with IRV.

Gerrymandering: Eliminate with shortest-splitline method

Congressional Term Limits: 6 terms for the house, 2 for the senate

Statehood of Puerto Rico: Supportive

Voter ID: Opposed. It's biased to favor republican-leaning voters and fraud isn't even a nominal problem on a national scale.

Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1062 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:18 am »

Social:

Abortion: Illegal, except in cases of rape, incest, and life of the mother. No federal funding. Open to legal abortion in cases where the fetus is known to have severe genetic disabilities (e.g. those that make one have a vegetable-style life), but no further than that.

Gay Marriage: I personally am O.K. with civil unions and am opposed to full marriage, but this is really something that should be left up to states, not activist judges or the federal government.

Drugs: Full legalization of Marijuana with a substantial excise tax, just like we have for Tobacco. Everything else stays illegal, but focus on rehabilitation and not punishment.

Death Penalty: Only if it is a first-degree murder case with irrefutable evidence that the defendant is guilty, approved by at least two jury trials. Dramatically reduce time spent on death row, and switch to far quicker method of death (Personally, I don't really see what's the big deal with beheading. They're going to die no matter what method you use, so why not do a quick beheading rather than a lethal injection that doesn't kill right away and even fails to kill on rare occasions?) .

Gun Control: Expand background checks to all gun shows and the entire internet. Open to assault weapons ban. Nothing else.

Prostitution: Opposed, but would probably just leave it up to the states if I was in the federal government as there are much bigger issues to deal with.

Euthansia: Allowed, but only in cases where the patient and/or all living parents have given willful consent and there is a 0% chance of recovery.

Fiscal:

Federal Minimum Wage: Raise gradually ($0.75 - $1) each year towards an ultimate goal of $12. After that, raise each year according to inflation.

Welfare: Yes, but require one to be working or be enrolled in some sort of job training program

Income Tax: Substantially reduce loopholes and deductions, open to very small rate decrease for those making less than $200,000 (e.g. 1-2%).

Corporate Tax: Drastically reduce loopholes and deductions, lower top rate to 28%.

Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes. Require a balanced budget by fiscal 2030, with exceptions for declared war that is actually being fought (i.e. congress can't use this exception unless U.S. soldiers are actually fighting in the country we've declared war against), and severe recessions (underemployment >= 15%) .

Healthcare: Keep ObamaCare, but revise it. I have many things in mind: 40 hours, not 30 hours, should be considered full-time, work to dramatically lower premiums, allow a small number of health insurance companies that provide most but not all 'Obamacare-mandated' benefits to still exist for people that don't need full coverage (ex. people that don't need maternity-related services), continue to improve the website, have open enrollment year-long, repeal the medical device tax, forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs, and require all hospitals and doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.

Social Security: Eliminate payroll tax cap but lower payroll tax rate to 4.2% for those making under $200,000. Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Foreign:

Israel: Continue to be an ally, but respect its sovereignty and do not dictate its foreign or domestic policy.

Military Spending: Cut it by $200 Billion immediately, then freeze for 15 years - no exceptions, not even for inflation, unless approved by a 2/3 majority of both houses of congress and the president.

Foreign Economic Aid: I support the 'Newt Gingrich' view here. Eliminate it completely, and then have countries justify why we should give them a penny.

Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open, but give potential prisoners a full jury trial in federal court.

Immigration Reform: Support the 'Marco Rubio' plan passed by the U.S. Senate in 2013.

Other:

Keystone XL: Approve as long as U.S. actually uses some of the oil itself rather than exporting all of it.

Voter ID: Opposed. It's biased to favor republican-leaning voters and fraud isn't even a nominal problem on a national scale.

You are more a "mainstream" Conservative Republican than an Independent.
Wulfric
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1063 on: November 10, 2014, 05:19:18 pm »

Social:

Fiscal:

Foreign:

Other:

i'd be laughed out of the republican party because I don't support full repeal of ObamaCare, the Paul Ryan budget, or tax cuts for the wealthy. I'd be laughed out of the democratic party because i'm not fond of obama and because i'm not left enough on social issues or entitlements. I'm also a big proponent of compromise. That's why i'm an independent.
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1064 on: November 15, 2014, 10:21:13 am »

Social:

Fiscal:

Foreign:

Other:

i'd be laughed out of the republican party because I don't support full repeal of ObamaCare, the Paul Ryan budget, or tax cuts for the wealthy. I'd be laughed out of the democratic party because i'm not fond of obama and because i'm not left enough on social issues or entitlements. I'm also a big proponent of compromise. That's why i'm an independent.

That's probably the full extent that they will get unless SCOTUS vetoes Obamacare or the GOP gets a supermajority and can't reconcile through the Ryan budget in the senate.
Wulfric
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1065 on: November 15, 2014, 03:12:32 pm »

Social:

Fiscal:

Foreign:

Other:

That's probably the full extent that they will get unless SCOTUS vetoes Obamacare or the GOP gets a supermajority and can't reconcile through the Ryan budget in the senate.
But you still have to support full repeal of ObamaCare to be a republican. Also, I don't think republicans will push for year-long open enrollment, or either of these:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You also can't support military spending cuts if you're a republican, or leaving Iran alone.

Basically, my platform fails to meet the basic litmus tests of either party. I could pose myself as a conservative democrat or a liberal republican with relative ease, but I'd never be able to win the primary.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924
YaBB God

« Reply #1066 on: November 16, 2014, 04:17:02 pm »

Party: Republican
Ideology: Conservative

I'll go issue by issue. No need for long explanations.  Basically, a conservative Republican who has a few liberal views (global warming for one), but is uniformly otherwise conservative, pro-civil liberties, and is an internationalist that believes in America projecting her power.

Social Issues

Abortion: Oppose in all cases except mother's life. Life begins at conception. I firmly believe in this and this is one of my criteria for any Republican Presidential candidates seeking my support.

Guns: Pro-Second Amendment. Support universal background checks, but no restrictions on guns otherwise.

Gay Rights: Pro-gay rights and gay marriage, on grounds that we keep families together and it promotes families.
Oppose ENDA, however, as an unconstitutional infringement on employment practices.

Euthanasia: I support euthanasia for terminal illnesses, along the lines of Oregon's Right to Die law.

Religious Freedoms: Supportive. Supported the Alito majority decision in Hobby Lobby. Oppose forcing religious institutions from distributing birth control, etc.

Supreme Court: Support a textual reading of the Constitution, rather than the expansive "living Constitution" approach supported by liberals. Creating rights out of thin air is a bad idea, for many reasons. The judiciary should stick to reading the text of the Constitution, and the intents of the Framers, in applying the Constitution, as well as the English precedents that set the basis for our legal system.

Death Penalty: Firmly a supporter. Broaden the crimes that we use the death penalty for and limit appeals.
War on Drugs: A failed idea. Decriminalize and legalize, as needed, except for heroin, meth, and cocaine. End the DEA's powers and oversight, except for heroin, meth, and cocaine. Legalize marijuana, completely.

Affirmative Action: Completely opposed. Meritocratic systems require meritocratic standards.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Supportive, and believe in the science.

Common Core: No real opinion; the states implemented it and they should set the standards for education.

Evolution: Clearly happened. Support local education boards teaching evolution as accepted science, and exclude religious teachings from science classes.

Economic and Government Issues:

Taxes: This requires a longer explanation. I support tax cuts of almost any kind, and believe that taxes should be as low and flat as possible. In practical terms, I am for a flat tax on individuals, with elimination of almost all standard deductions, and undecided on how to structure corporate tax reform (either eliminating it or ending all deductions and going with a low 10% tax rate, and allow small businesses to have a smaller tax rate of 5% on the federal level).  Tax reform is another major issue for me.

There is one tax I am open to. I would be, given global warming, be open to a carbon tax, as long as it was offset in other areas for all involved.

Spending: Balance the budget, as much as possible each year. A BBA is impractical, for a variety of reasons, otherwise, I would be far more supportive. I am generally supportive of cutting spending to balance the budget, in all areas, and auditing all levels of government, including Defense (with the caveat that I still, on balance, support Defense spending to be strong enough to protect the United States and to project global power). Combine several Cabinet agencies to achieve greater efficiencies, and so on. Regulations should be audited, revised and stripped if useless.

Defense Spending: The Pentagon should have as much as it needs to continue the United States' military and technological edge over every other nations, and our enemies combined. That said, it should be audited for waste annually, and contractors should win contracts based on an open bidding process. Balance these two goals and we should be fine.

Trade: Complete free trader. I want a global trade pact that eliminates all trade barriers, subsidies, and support for local industries, with the caveat that developing nations are given 20 years to develop their industries to come into the trade pact as fully mature nations. Free trade is a big issue for me and I am supportive of all free trade agreements.

Social Security and Medicare Reform: I would have opposed their creation. I still feel they're an unconstitutional violation of the Constitution, but they're here to stay. With that in mind, I support the RyanCare approach to Medicare, and oppose privatization of Social Security as impractical. Flat out, we should reduce benefits to Social Security recipients, beginning in the 2030s.  Raise the retirement age to 70 for Social Security and Medicare.

ObamaCare: I support the exchanges, oppose the Medicaid Expansion, and pretty much oppose all of the law except the exchanges. The exchanges have conservative roots, and are a great idea. But overall, the law is a terrible idea. We should be pushing down costs through free market reforms, and I have a few in mind, such as taking on the obesity epidemic, and other cost controlling measures. But in general, any future health care reforms should be structured around the exchanges, and reasonable cost control measures.

Right to Work: Completely support it, and would further dismantle the protections labor unions enjoy under federal executive orders. Support extending Taft-Hartley. I would be happy if we could take on public unions and dismantle them as we have done to unions in the private sector. Greatly weaken the Labor Department.

Federal Minimum Wage Hike: Completely oppose. I would support setting the private market set the floor for the minimum wage.

Immigration, Foreign Issues, National Security:

Immigration: Oppose a wall (impractical), but strongly believe that we should have a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants, on the condition they learn English, attain some educational experience, and prove that they're equipped with skills to work here. Otherwise, send them home. Support a constitutional amendment on prohibiting illegal immigration after this round of immigration reform, and support border security first and foremost.

Iraq and Afghanistan: Supported the War in Iraq and still do; turned against the war in Afghanistan in 2009, as mismanaged. (Bush corrected course in 2007 in Iraq). However, I support continued American involvement in the world, as someone who believes that America has a strong role to play on the global stage (the United States is the last best hope of mankind - meaning that America should not withdraw into Fortress America, but continue to project power and influence). Therefore, the United States should be actively fighting ISIS, etc. and working to develop a better governing coalition in both nations that can lead these nations into peace.

Syria:  Support the Freedom Syria fighters, fighting the Assad regime. While of questionable origin, ousting a despotic regime is not a bad thing.

Iran: Continue the Obama accords, and to slowly reintegrate Iran into the international community, while making them give up their nuclear ambitions. This is far better than the alternatives.

PATRIOT Act: I support revamping it to accommodate the concerns of civil libertarians. I believe that reform is better than abolition, at this point -- revamp or abolish Section 215, and other sections. I would also support limiting the power of the government to spy on its own citizens and to collect data, without judicial oversight. Have a judge approve and oversee the program - a duly appointed and confirmed judge, and possibly rotating judges, from different parties/ideologies. All investigations should operate under a judge's approval, whether domestic or foreign. The government can continue to hunt down terrorists, and they should, but do it constitutionally.

Israel: Complete support of Israel and oppose any Palestinian homeland. Palestine and other Arabic nations have acted only to weaken Israel, rather than to gain a true homeland for Palestine. I believe, then, in supporting Netanyahu's government and the goal of keeping Israel unified, and Jerusalem under Israeli/Jewish control.

Global Warming: Global warming is real, manmade, and the United States must lead the way in combating it. I would support accords to create cap and trade compacts, limiting green house gas emissions, and transiting our energy use to as much renewable energy as possible. The third world should be helped in their transition to using solar and other renewable energies and cleaning up the environment, to reduce greenhouse gases. A carbon tax should (if offset) be considered for use here at home. I am not a fan of cap and trade, if given the carbon tax as an option, but otherwise, use all strategies to tackle global warming.

Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.35

« Reply #1067 on: November 16, 2014, 06:01:28 pm »

Party: Republican
Ideology: Conservative

I'll go issue by issue. No need for long explanations.  Basically, a conservative Republican who has a few liberal views (global warming for one), but is uniformly otherwise conservative, pro-civil liberties, and is an internationalist that believes in America projecting her power.

That's interesting, considering I expected someone named after Calvin Coolidge to be something along the lines of a isolationist or non-interventionist. Considering my own political views, I'll call that a pleasant surprise. Wink
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924
YaBB God

« Reply #1068 on: November 16, 2014, 09:56:35 pm »

Well, Coolidge was not an entire isolationist. The Kellog-Briand Pact of 1928 is one example. But yeah, Coolidge was too off hands during the 1920s, in foreign policy. The refusal to join the League of Nations, etc. was a poor move. So (IMHO) was the refusal to embrace free trade. Had Coolidge and his Republican contemporaries done that and the Federal Reserve been far more generous than it was, the Great Depression's effects might have been significantly helped. Ditto getting off the gold standard (England did it in 1930 and had a lighter impact than we did).

I should have added I believe the United Nations should be disbanded and replaced by a far more pro-Western and pro-democracy organization dedicated to the muscular enforcement of America's post World War II ideals of free trade, democratic rule, and capitalism.
Kallo

« Reply #1069 on: November 17, 2014, 05:19:25 pm »

Party: Independent (Usually vote democrat)
Ideology: Progressive

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-choice, keep abortion safe, legal, and rare.
Drugs: Marijuana for medical purposes, keep everything else illegal.
Stem Cell Research: Stem Cell research saves lives, and is completely necessary.
Death Penalty: In favor, not happy with the fuss that's been made over it regarding the recent botched executions.
Gun control: Bring in background checks, ban assault weapons.
Affirmative Action: Very bad idea, we should be choosing on ability, not on race.
Women's Rights: Introduce equal pay legislation.

Economic Issues:
Federal Spending: Do not support the Ryan budgets, no cuts to social agencies.
Minimum Wage: Large increase in minimum wage, give tax cuts to smaller businesses who can't handle the raise.
Taxation: Raise taxes on the rich, introduce a progressive taxation system.
Healthcare: Support social healthcare, but don't agree with certain aspects of the ACA
Social Security: Make sure hard working Americans benefit
Education: Drastically increase funding to our broken education system, pay teachers more, keep and expand common core.

Foreign Policy and National Security:
Iraq/Syria: Stop air strikes on ISIS, it is only inflaming the situation, instead provide support to Kurdish fighters and other forces against ISIS without directlly attacking them, we cannot afford it.
Military Spending: Cut military operations and spending.
NSA Spying: Necessary
Immigration: Increase border control, but come to agreement on a possible amnesty, need immigration reform.

Environment
Climate Change: Call out and shame the politicians who deny climate change, start passing legislation to reduce its impact.
Green Energy: Shift our reliance on oil to renewable energy.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Against, instead subsidise companies willing to create jobs with renewable energy

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Should be reviewed, Al Gore won popular vote in 2000 but only lost due to electoral college
Gerrymandering: Use independent groups to reform the current US districts
Campaign Finance: Repeal citizens united, strict public financing of elections.
Term limits: Against
Voter ID: Used as a base for republicans to stop democrats voting, repeal voter ID laws.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
YaBB God
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1070 on: November 28, 2014, 10:20:39 pm »

Complete social anarchist with anarcho-syndicalist organization with a free market. So yeah, that pretty much explains it.
Colbert
France

« Reply #1071 on: November 30, 2014, 05:40:24 pm »

Social:

Abortion: limited to 3 months, no refund,
Assisted Suicide: Opposed
Death Penalty: strongly for
gay marriage : opposed
stem cell search : in favor of
affirmative action : banned for ten thousand years. Constitutionnaly illegal
prostitution : legalized and profits to prostitute AND the state
Drugs: legalization, drugs are sold by the state (i.e. the "federal state" in american point of view)
sport gambling : illegal
religious freedom : in favor, but (for France, catholicism must be official state religion, not to convert, but for the financial protections of monuments, and against relativism with islam, judaism or protestant sects
Gun Control: yes
PATRIOT Act: Opposed
Illegal Immigration: 0 immigrants, and even send immigrants home
jails : one cell by prisonner. no cellphone, smartphone. Internet and tv booked only to disciplined prisoners. Cleaning made by prisonners. Cooking too. And production of food, if it is geographically possible

Economic:

Monetary: a money based on real wealth of nation
Taxes: progressive personal income, no local taxes, customs taxes
Spending: balanced budget for normal spends
Regulations: Deregulate, but not too much
Healthcare: beveridged
Corporations: single compulsory union for workers, idem for bosses (with the compulsory, a worker would not be stigmatized for is belonging to a corporation, and the syndicat would be less politised by leftists civil servants
Protectionnism
Strong railway web
Taxation of dividends
End of taxation of inheritance
The main house of a family, the company of a family could'nt be divided for eachs heirs. Deserve to the first born. Financial compensation is offered to other heirs (only if it is possible, for the main house)
Education : elitist system, less people with a graduate.
Minimal wage : calculated as 50% od median wage (or + if necessary for decent life)
Land : only people with the nationality could be landlords. Same thing for houses, buildings.

Foreign Policy:

Afghanistan: Pull out
Iraq: bring back baath' party
Israel/Palestine: support israel, with jerusalem for capital city, but without christian sancted places. Israel with 1967 borders. Golan to syria, Gaza and Cisjordania form state of palestine
Iran: End sanctions
Russia: Develop peaceful relations, with condition they stop to interfere in national sovereignty of east europe (baltic states, caucasus, ukraine)
Foreign Aid: End it
UN: creation of a new SDN with the ONLY goal of stopping wars. Each member would have the duty to lend 10% of his military forces to fight with the agressor of a SDN member.
NATO: Leave
Military Spending: same level

no idea of my place in political spectrum in american political spectrum
Wolverines34
United States
« Reply #1072 on: December 11, 2014, 02:02:38 am »
« Edited: December 11, 2014, 03:50:29 am by Wolverines34 »

Social Issues

Abortion:Pro-Choice
Gay Marriage:Support
Capital Punishment:Strongly Support
Marijuana Legalization:Oppose
Immigration:Deport All Illegals & Ban on all immigration.
Guns:Abolish all Gun Control Laws. Concealed carry, no restrictions on our right to bear arms!.

Economic/Foreign Policy Issues

Taxes:15% Flat Tax. Cut Taxes Across the board (exemption on taxes for poor).
Social Security:Partial privatization.
Healthcare:No Socialized medicine.
Cigarette Tax:Abolish
Cigarette Regulations:Abolish
FCC:Abolish
Education:Abolish Department of Education, bring back local control. Vouchers.
Syria:Stay Out.
Turkey:Kick them out of the NATO. Sanctions.
Islam:Islam threatens liberal western values.
Israel:Strongly support + more funding.
UN:Get Out
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
YaBB God
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1073 on: December 11, 2014, 05:40:46 pm »

Social Issues

Abortion:Pro-Choice
Gay Marriage:Support
Capital Punishment:Strongly Support
Marijuana Legalization:Oppose
Immigration:Deport All Illegals & Ban on all immigration.
Guns:Abolish all Gun Control Laws. Concealed carry, no restrictions on our right to bear arms!.

Economic/Foreign Policy Issues

Taxes:15% Flat Tax. Cut Taxes Across the board (exemption on taxes for poor).
Social Security:Partial privatization.
Healthcare:No Socialized medicine.
Cigarette Tax:Abolish
Cigarette Regulations:Abolish
FCC:Abolish
Education:Abolish Department of Education, bring back local control. Vouchers.
Syria:Stay Out.
Turkey:Kick them out of the NATO. Sanctions.
Islam:Islam threatens liberal western values.
Israel:Strongly support + more funding.
UN:Get Out
Um..."Liberal"
Jerseyrules
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1074 on: December 11, 2014, 07:56:58 pm »

Party: Republican?
Ideology: Moderate, centre-Right

Basically, an overall centrist with some radical positions that (probably?) overall balance out.

Social Issues

Abortion: Support women's right to choose prior to 20 weeks.  The current Partial Term Abortion Ban Act is sufficient; my main concern is making sure that abortions do not occur when the fetus has already formed sensory organs unless at risk of the life of the mother.  Strongly support over the counter access to contraceptives, family planning, increased funding to adoption, etc., as alternatives to abortion.

Guns: Pro-Second Amendment. Support universal background checks, but be cautious about any further federal restrictions on guns otherwise.

Gay Rights: Pro-gay rights and gay marriage.  Make gays a federally protected class akin to women and minorities

Euthanasia: I support euthanasia for terminal illnesses, along the lines of Oregon's Right to Die law.

Religious Freedoms: Supportive. Supported the Alito majority decision in Hobby Lobby.  Oppose forcing religious institutions from distributing birth control, etc.

Supreme Court: Balance the "living Constitution" approach supported by liberals with strict constructionist readings of the Constitution.  It should encompass a spectrum of different ideologies, chosen more for their unique experience than for their ideology (no "litmus test" for SCOTUS nominees).

Death Penalty: Depends.  California's appeals process is notoriously long and expensive; I'd rather see them sent to hard labor which is less of a burden to the taxpayers and gives them the opportunity to repent/reform.

War on Drugs: A failed idea. Decriminalize and legalize, as needed, except for heroin, meth, and cocaine. End the DEA's powers and oversight, except for heroin, meth, and cocaine. Legalize marijuana, completely.

Affirmative Action: I'm comfortable with the status quo; no quotas, but race is a fair factor to consider in order to make a level playing field for university education and thus access to high-paying jobs.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Supportive

Common Core: Supportive.  Our country needs a national framework when it comes to education; we can't have 50 vastly different sets of standards in a modern economy.  I have friends who moved from out of state and are either a year behind or a year ahead in different math and science classes.  Obviously local communities are best at determining the specifics, but at least have a rough national guideline for curriculum.

Evolution: Clearly happened. Support local education boards teaching evolution as accepted science, and exclude religious teachings from science classes.

Economic and Government Issues:

Taxes: Close loopholes and lower rates.  Make a more efficient tax code rather than the bureaucratic mess we have now.  I think Simpson-Bowles was a good start.  Introduce a 5% VAT / national sales tax with a rebate for low income earners; almost every other wealthy nation has a VAT of some kind.

Because of the risks posed by climate change, I would support gradually phasing out the special deductions given to oil companies.  Implement a cap-and-trade system over a carbon tax, as cap-and-trade is a market-based solution, which have nearly always worked better than strictly punitive reforms.

Spending: Balance the budget, as much as possible each year. A BBA is impractical. I am generally supportive of cutting spending to balance the budget, in all areas, and auditing all levels of government, including Defense (with the caveat that I still, on balance, support Defense spending to be strong enough to protect the United States and to project global power). Regulations should be audited, revised and stripped if useless.  Give agencies the tools they need to enforce good regulations, and create red teams to allow new start-ups to navegate the red tape required for doing so to maintain global competitiveness.

Defense Spending: The Pentagon should have as much as it needs to continue the United States' military and technological edge over every other nations, and our enemies combined. That said, it should be audited for waste annually, and contractors should win contracts based on an open bidding process.

Trade: Complete free trader. I want a global trade pact that eliminates all trade barriers, subsidies, and support for local industries, with the caveat that developing nations are given 20 years to develop their industries to come into the trade pact as fully mature nations.  At the same time, we need to make reductions in our unfair competitive advantage in certain fields; farm subsidies should be phased out as soon as it is feasible to do so, both to encourage agriculturally-specialized nations to compete and to allow for cheaper goods for the American people.

Social Security and Medicare Reform: The Age of Retirement must be raised, to at least 70.  The current system as it stands is not feasible looking into the future, and will bankrupt us if left unchecked.  Open to privatization plans in the future, but I need to do some more research as to how such proposals would work.  However, from a moral standpoint, allowing employees to keep the money they would be paying in payroll taxes and instead allowing them to save or invest them would be a huge benefit to lower-income households if coupled with informative / educational programs to help people plan for retirement.  See Medicare below

ObamaCare: I support nearly everything in the bill, however I would have gone a step further.  It should have included a public option and also provided for allowing Medicare to negotiate with pharmaceudical companies for lower drug costs, etc.  Long-term, single-payer is almost undoubtedly a cost-effective method of reducing healthcare from the beheamoth it is today; it's simply impractical to be spending nearly 18% of our GDP on healthcare while nations like Canada and even the UK spend about half that.  We can also look at the Singaporean system as a model; there, healthcare is estimated at 3.9% of GDP because of price transparency and significant use of savings accounts except for the poor and elderly.  Their system is a near-perfect combination of the best of both worlds - private and public.  It's simply inefficient to be spending so much of our capital on healthcare when that money could be spent investing in our country's future (or bombs.  Whatever tickles your fancy).

Right to Work: Support the right of states to pass such laws, but I'd be reluctant to impose such a system for private sector workers.  Public sector unions have a much different role; it must be recognized that such workers are supported by the taxpayers and thus there is a different role for public sector unions than private.  I like Germany's system in which many major companies grant their unions a seat at the table in board meetings as well as a vote in confirming the next CEO.  This would do wonders to alleviate tensions between unionized workers/unions and upper management.

Federal Minimum Wage Hike: Support an increase in minimum wage, though increasing it too dramatically or too quickly would potentially be negative, there are studies supporting little to no detriment to employment if done gradually.

Immigration, Foreign Issues, National Security:

Immigration: Oppose a wall (impractical), but strongly believe that we should have a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants, on the condition they pay taxes. If convicted of violent crime, send them home.  Necessary to balance border security with compassion for the millions of illegal immigrants living here presently.

Iraq and Afghanistan: Supported the War in Iraq and still do. (Bush corrected course in 2007 in Iraq). Support continued American involvement in the world, as someone who believes that America has a strong role to play on the global stage (the United States is the last best hope of mankind - meaning that America should not withdraw into Fortress America, but continue to project power and influence). Therefore, the United States should be actively fighting ISIS, etc. and working to develop a better governing coalition in both nations that can lead these nations into peace.  However we need to be building international coalitions along the lines of the Gulf War, and follow the Powell Doctrine when it comes to intervention: clear mission goal, clear plan of entrance, ensure we have the resources to win it quickly, go in with overwhelming force, have a clear exit strategy, and have a clear plan for what will happen once we leave.

Syria:  Support the Freedom Syria fighters, fighting the Assad regime, but by leading an international effort to topple Assad and have a clear plan for a new coalition government once we're finished.

Iran: Continue the Obama accords, and to slowly reintegrate Iran into the international community, while making them give up their nuclear ambitions. This is far better than the alternatives.

PATRIOT Act: I support revamping it to accommodate the concerns of civil libertarians. I believe that reform is better than abolition.  It is important that we join with almost every other western nation by recognizing that such events occur when not anticipated.  Rather than having a law in place for bringing terrorists to justice after the fact, I'd rather prevent the attacks from occurring in the first place.  As of yet, we haven't seen a major attack on US soil since 9/11, with dozens of attacks stopped since then as a result of the Act, a commendable record.

Israel: Balance Israeli and Palestinian interests.  Both sides have committed and continue to commit actions in defiance of international law and we must negotiate a two-state solution.  I believe that doing so will allow some of the hatred for Israel in many Muslim countries to be alleviated, as well as potentially allowing Palestine to serve as a moderating (READ: moderately pro-Western) voice in the Arab World akin to that of Turkey or Jordan.

Global Warming: Climate change is real.  Let's stop the BS and actually fix the problem.  Period.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 58 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies