Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:14:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556568 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: November 02, 2014, 11:33:36 AM »

I'd just like to point out that "it should be left to the states" or whatever is not an actual position. It's like saying "foreign policy should be left to the federal government". Yes, and?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1051 on: November 02, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »

I'd just like to point out that "it should be left to the states" or whatever is not an actual position. It's like saying "foreign policy should be left to the federal government". Yes, and?

I remember when I first joined this forum that was my answer to just about every social issue. Not so much anymore.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1052 on: November 02, 2014, 11:02:48 PM »

Social:

Abortion: Illegal, except in cases of rape, incest, and life of the mother. No federal funding. Open to legal abortion in cases where the fetus is known to have severe genetic disabilities (e.g. those that make one have a vegetable-style life), but no further than that.

Gay Marriage: I personally am O.K. with civil unions and am opposed to full marriage, but this is really something that should be left up to states, not activist judges or the federal government.

Drugs: Full legalization of Marijuana with a substantial excise tax, just like we have for Tobacco. Everything else stays illegal, but focus on rehabilitation and not punishment.

Death Penalty: Only if it is a first-degree murder case with irrefutable evidence that the defendant is guilty, approved by at least two jury trials. Dramatically reduce time spent on death row, and switch to far quicker method of death (Personally, I don't really see what's the big deal with beheading. They're going to die no matter what method you use, so why not do a quick beheading rather than a lethal injection that doesn't kill right away and even fails to kill on rare occasions?) .

Gun Control: Expand background checks to all gun shows and the entire internet. Open to assault weapons ban. Nothing else.

Affirmative Action: Opposed. This is just a bunch of prejudice against whites.

Prostitution: Opposed, but would probably just leave it up to the states if I was in the federal government as there are much bigger issues to deal with.

Euthansia: Allowed, but only in cases where the patient and/or all living parents have given willful consent and there is a 0% chance of recovery.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Opposed.

Fiscal:

Federal Minimum Wage: Raise gradually ($0.75 - $1) each year towards an ultimate goal of $12. After that, raise each year according to inflation.

Welfare: Yes, but require one to be working or be enrolled in some sort of job training program

Right to Work: Yes, but in a way that still keeps unions intact.

Income Tax: Substantially reduce loopholes and deductions, open to very small rate decrease for those making less than $200,000 (e.g. 1-2%).

FAIR Tax: Opposed

Corporate Tax: Drastically reduce loopholes and deductions, lower top rate to 28%.

Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes. Require a balanced budget by fiscal 2030, with exceptions for declared war that is actually being fought (i.e. congress can't use this exception unless U.S. soldiers are actually fighting in the country we've declared war against), and severe recessions (underemployment >= 15%) .

Healthcare: Keep ObamaCare, but revise it. I have many things in mind: 40 hours, not 30 hours, should be considered full-time, work to dramatically lower premiums, allow a small number of health insurance companies that provide most but not all 'Obamacare-mandated' benefits to still exist for people that don't need full coverage (ex. people that don't need maternity-related services), continue to improve the website, have open enrollment year-long, repeal the medical device tax, forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs, and require all hospitals and doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.

Medicare: Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Social Security: Eliminate payroll tax cap but lower payroll tax rate to 4.2% for those making under $200,000. Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Common Core: Opposed.

Foreign:

Afghanistan: Get Out. We've been there long enough.

Further Action in Iraq: Opposed.

Iran: Leave them alone.

Israel: Continue to be an ally, but respect its sovereignty and do not dictate its foreign or domestic policy.

Syria: Leave them alone.

Cuba: End the travel ban, gradually reestablish U.S.-Cuba trade.

Military Spending: Cut it by $200 Billion immediately, then freeze for 15 years - no exceptions, not even for inflation, unless approved by a 2/3 majority of both houses of congress and the president.

Foreign Economic Aid: I support the 'Newt Gingrich' view here. Eliminate it completely, and then have countries justify why we should give them a penny.

PATRIOT Act: Substantially weaken

Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open, but give potential prisoners a full jury trial in federal court.

Immigration Reform: Support the 'Marco Rubio' plan passed by the U.S. Senate in 2013.

Other:

Keystone XL: Approve as long as U.S. actually uses some of the oil itself rather than exporting all of it.

Electoral College: Abolish, institute NPV with IRV.

Gerrymandering: Eliminate with shortest-splitline method

Congressional Term Limits: 6 terms for the house, 2 for the senate

Statehood of Puerto Rico: Supportive

Voter ID: Opposed. It's biased to favor republican-leaning voters and fraud isn't even a nominal problem on a national scale.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1053 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:18 AM »

Social:

Abortion: Illegal, except in cases of rape, incest, and life of the mother. No federal funding. Open to legal abortion in cases where the fetus is known to have severe genetic disabilities (e.g. those that make one have a vegetable-style life), but no further than that.

Gay Marriage: I personally am O.K. with civil unions and am opposed to full marriage, but this is really something that should be left up to states, not activist judges or the federal government.

Drugs: Full legalization of Marijuana with a substantial excise tax, just like we have for Tobacco. Everything else stays illegal, but focus on rehabilitation and not punishment.

Death Penalty: Only if it is a first-degree murder case with irrefutable evidence that the defendant is guilty, approved by at least two jury trials. Dramatically reduce time spent on death row, and switch to far quicker method of death (Personally, I don't really see what's the big deal with beheading. They're going to die no matter what method you use, so why not do a quick beheading rather than a lethal injection that doesn't kill right away and even fails to kill on rare occasions?) .

Gun Control: Expand background checks to all gun shows and the entire internet. Open to assault weapons ban. Nothing else.

Prostitution: Opposed, but would probably just leave it up to the states if I was in the federal government as there are much bigger issues to deal with.

Euthansia: Allowed, but only in cases where the patient and/or all living parents have given willful consent and there is a 0% chance of recovery.

Fiscal:

Federal Minimum Wage: Raise gradually ($0.75 - $1) each year towards an ultimate goal of $12. After that, raise each year according to inflation.

Welfare: Yes, but require one to be working or be enrolled in some sort of job training program

Income Tax: Substantially reduce loopholes and deductions, open to very small rate decrease for those making less than $200,000 (e.g. 1-2%).

Corporate Tax: Drastically reduce loopholes and deductions, lower top rate to 28%.

Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes. Require a balanced budget by fiscal 2030, with exceptions for declared war that is actually being fought (i.e. congress can't use this exception unless U.S. soldiers are actually fighting in the country we've declared war against), and severe recessions (underemployment >= 15%) .

Healthcare: Keep ObamaCare, but revise it. I have many things in mind: 40 hours, not 30 hours, should be considered full-time, work to dramatically lower premiums, allow a small number of health insurance companies that provide most but not all 'Obamacare-mandated' benefits to still exist for people that don't need full coverage (ex. people that don't need maternity-related services), continue to improve the website, have open enrollment year-long, repeal the medical device tax, forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs, and require all hospitals and doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.

Social Security: Eliminate payroll tax cap but lower payroll tax rate to 4.2% for those making under $200,000. Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Foreign:

Israel: Continue to be an ally, but respect its sovereignty and do not dictate its foreign or domestic policy.

Military Spending: Cut it by $200 Billion immediately, then freeze for 15 years - no exceptions, not even for inflation, unless approved by a 2/3 majority of both houses of congress and the president.

Foreign Economic Aid: I support the 'Newt Gingrich' view here. Eliminate it completely, and then have countries justify why we should give them a penny.

Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open, but give potential prisoners a full jury trial in federal court.

Immigration Reform: Support the 'Marco Rubio' plan passed by the U.S. Senate in 2013.

Other:

Keystone XL: Approve as long as U.S. actually uses some of the oil itself rather than exporting all of it.

Voter ID: Opposed. It's biased to favor republican-leaning voters and fraud isn't even a nominal problem on a national scale.

You are more a "mainstream" Conservative Republican than an Independent.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1054 on: November 10, 2014, 05:19:18 PM »

Social:

Fiscal:

Foreign:

Other:

i'd be laughed out of the republican party because I don't support full repeal of ObamaCare, the Paul Ryan budget, or tax cuts for the wealthy. I'd be laughed out of the democratic party because i'm not fond of obama and because i'm not left enough on social issues or entitlements. I'm also a big proponent of compromise. That's why i'm an independent.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1055 on: November 15, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »

Social:

Fiscal:

Foreign:

Other:

i'd be laughed out of the republican party because I don't support full repeal of ObamaCare, the Paul Ryan budget, or tax cuts for the wealthy. I'd be laughed out of the democratic party because i'm not fond of obama and because i'm not left enough on social issues or entitlements. I'm also a big proponent of compromise. That's why i'm an independent.

That's probably the full extent that they will get unless SCOTUS vetoes Obamacare or the GOP gets a supermajority and can't reconcile through the Ryan budget in the senate.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1056 on: November 15, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »

Social:

Fiscal:

Foreign:

Other:

That's probably the full extent that they will get unless SCOTUS vetoes Obamacare or the GOP gets a supermajority and can't reconcile through the Ryan budget in the senate.
But you still have to support full repeal of ObamaCare to be a republican. Also, I don't think republicans will push for year-long open enrollment, or either of these:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You also can't support military spending cuts if you're a republican, or leaving Iran alone.

Basically, my platform fails to meet the basic litmus tests of either party. I could pose myself as a conservative democrat or a liberal republican with relative ease, but I'd never be able to win the primary.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1057 on: November 16, 2014, 06:01:28 PM »

Party: Republican
Ideology: Conservative

I'll go issue by issue. No need for long explanations.  Basically, a conservative Republican who has a few liberal views (global warming for one), but is uniformly otherwise conservative, pro-civil liberties, and is an internationalist that believes in America projecting her power.

That's interesting, considering I expected someone named after Calvin Coolidge to be something along the lines of a isolationist or non-interventionist. Considering my own political views, I'll call that a pleasant surprise. Wink
Kallo

« Reply #1058 on: November 17, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »

Party: Independent (Usually vote democrat)
Ideology: Progressive

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-choice, keep abortion safe, legal, and rare.
Gay Marriage: Fully supportive of LGBT rights.
Drugs: Marijuana for medical purposes, keep everything else illegal.
Stem Cell Research: Stem Cell research saves lives, and is completely necessary.
Death Penalty: In favor, not happy with the fuss that's been made over it regarding the recent botched executions.
Gun control: Bring in background checks, ban assault weapons.
Affirmative Action: Very bad idea, we should be choosing on ability, not on race.
Women's Rights: Introduce equal pay legislation.

Economic Issues:
Federal Spending: Do not support the Ryan budgets, no cuts to social agencies.
Minimum Wage: Large increase in minimum wage, give tax cuts to smaller businesses who can't handle the raise.
Taxation: Raise taxes on the rich, introduce a progressive taxation system.
Healthcare: Support social healthcare, but don't agree with certain aspects of the ACA
Social Security: Make sure hard working Americans benefit
Education: Drastically increase funding to our broken education system, pay teachers more, keep and expand common core.

Foreign Policy and National Security:
Iran: Diplomacy is the best course of action.
Iraq/Syria: Stop air strikes on ISIS, it is only inflaming the situation, instead provide support to Kurdish fighters and other forces against ISIS without directlly attacking them, we cannot afford it.
Military Spending: Cut military operations and spending.
NSA Spying: Necessary
Immigration: Increase border control, but come to agreement on a possible amnesty, need immigration reform.

Environment
Climate Change: Call out and shame the politicians who deny climate change, start passing legislation to reduce its impact.
Green Energy: Shift our reliance on oil to renewable energy.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Against, instead subsidise companies willing to create jobs with renewable energy

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Should be reviewed, Al Gore won popular vote in 2000 but only lost due to electoral college
Gerrymandering: Use independent groups to reform the current US districts
Campaign Finance: Repeal citizens united, strict public financing of elections.
Term limits: Against
Voter ID: Used as a base for republicans to stop democrats voting, repeal voter ID laws.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1059 on: November 28, 2014, 10:20:39 PM »

Complete social anarchist with anarcho-syndicalist organization with a free market. So yeah, that pretty much explains it.
Colbert
France

« Reply #1060 on: November 30, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »

Social:

Abortion: limited to 3 months, no refund,
Assisted Suicide: Opposed
Death Penalty: strongly for
gay marriage : opposed
stem cell search : in favor of
affirmative action : banned for ten thousand years. Constitutionnaly illegal
prostitution : legalized and profits to prostitute AND the state
Drugs: legalization, drugs are sold by the state (i.e. the "federal state" in american point of view)
sport gambling : illegal
religious freedom : in favor, but (for France, catholicism must be official state religion, not to convert, but for the financial protections of monuments, and against relativism with islam, judaism or protestant sects
Gun Control: yes
PATRIOT Act: Opposed
Illegal Immigration: 0 immigrants, and even send immigrants home
jails : one cell by prisonner. no cellphone, smartphone. Internet and tv booked only to disciplined prisoners. Cleaning made by prisonners. Cooking too. And production of food, if it is geographically possible

Economic:

Monetary: a money based on real wealth of nation
Taxes: progressive personal income, no local taxes, customs taxes
Spending: balanced budget for normal spends
Regulations: Deregulate, but not too much
Healthcare: beveridged
Corporations: single compulsory union for workers, idem for bosses (with the compulsory, a worker would not be stigmatized for is belonging to a corporation, and the syndicat would be less politised by leftists civil servants
Protectionnism
Strong railway web
Taxation of dividends
End of taxation of inheritance
The main house of a family, the company of a family could'nt be divided for eachs heirs. Deserve to the first born. Financial compensation is offered to other heirs (only if it is possible, for the main house)
Education : elitist system, less people with a graduate.
Minimal wage : calculated as 50% od median wage (or + if necessary for decent life)
Land : only people with the nationality could be landlords. Same thing for houses, buildings.

Foreign Policy:

Afghanistan: Pull out
Iraq: bring back baath' party
Israel/Palestine: support israel, with jerusalem for capital city, but without christian sancted places. Israel with 1967 borders. Golan to syria, Gaza and Cisjordania form state of palestine
Iran: End sanctions
Russia: Develop peaceful relations, with condition they stop to interfere in national sovereignty of east europe (baltic states, caucasus, ukraine)
Foreign Aid: End it
UN: creation of a new SDN with the ONLY goal of stopping wars. Each member would have the duty to lend 10% of his military forces to fight with the agressor of a SDN member.
NATO: Leave
Military Spending: same level

no idea of my place in political spectrum in american political spectrum
Wolverines34
Rookie
United States
« Reply #1061 on: December 11, 2014, 02:02:38 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2014, 03:50:29 AM by Wolverines34 »

Social Issues

Abortion:Pro-Choice
Gay Marriage:Support
Capital Punishment:Strongly Support
Marijuana Legalization:Oppose
Immigration:Deport All Illegals & Ban on all immigration.
Guns:Abolish all Gun Control Laws. Concealed carry, no restrictions on our right to bear arms!.

Economic/Foreign Policy Issues

Taxes:15% Flat Tax. Cut Taxes Across the board (exemption on taxes for poor).
Social Security:Partial privatization.
Healthcare:No Socialized medicine.
Cigarette Tax:Abolish
Cigarette Regulations:Abolish
FCC:Abolish
Education:Abolish Department of Education, bring back local control. Vouchers.
Syria:Stay Out.
Turkey:Kick them out of the NATO. Sanctions.
Islam:Islam threatens liberal western values.
Israel:Strongly support + more funding.
UN:Get Out
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #1062 on: December 11, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »

Social Issues

Guns:Abolish all Gun Control Laws. Concealed carry, no restrictions on our right to bear arms!.

Um..."Liberal"
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #1063 on: December 11, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »

Party: Republican?
Ideology: Moderate, centre-Right

Basically, an overall centrist with some radical positions that (probably?) overall balance out.

Social Issues

Abortion: Support women's right to choose prior to 20 weeks.  The current Partial Term Abortion Ban Act is sufficient; my main concern is making sure that abortions do not occur when the fetus has already formed sensory organs unless at risk of the life of the mother.  Strongly support over the counter access to contraceptives, family planning, increased funding to adoption, etc., as alternatives to abortion.

Guns: Pro-Second Amendment. Support universal background checks, but be cautious about any further federal restrictions on guns otherwise.

Gay Rights: Pro-gay rights and gay marriage.  Make gays a federally protected class akin to women and minorities

Euthanasia: I support euthanasia for terminal illnesses, along the lines of Oregon's Right to Die law.

Religious Freedoms: Supportive. Supported the Alito majority decision in Hobby Lobby.  Oppose forcing religious institutions from distributing birth control, etc.

Supreme Court: Balance the "living Constitution" approach supported by liberals with strict constructionist readings of the Constitution.  It should encompass a spectrum of different ideologies, chosen more for their unique experience than for their ideology (no "litmus test" for SCOTUS nominees).

Death Penalty: Depends.  California's appeals process is notoriously long and expensive; I'd rather see them sent to hard labor which is less of a burden to the taxpayers and gives them the opportunity to repent/reform.

War on Drugs: A failed idea. Decriminalize and legalize, as needed, except for heroin, meth, and cocaine. End the DEA's powers and oversight, except for heroin, meth, and cocaine. Legalize marijuana, completely.

Affirmative Action: I'm comfortable with the status quo; no quotas, but race is a fair factor to consider in order to make a level playing field for university education and thus access to high-paying jobs.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Supportive

Common Core: Supportive.  Our country needs a national framework when it comes to education; we can't have 50 vastly different sets of standards in a modern economy.  I have friends who moved from out of state and are either a year behind or a year ahead in different math and science classes.  Obviously local communities are best at determining the specifics, but at least have a rough national guideline for curriculum.

Evolution: Clearly happened. Support local education boards teaching evolution as accepted science, and exclude religious teachings from science classes.

Economic and Government Issues:

Taxes: Close loopholes and lower rates.  Make a more efficient tax code rather than the bureaucratic mess we have now.  I think Simpson-Bowles was a good start.  Introduce a 5% VAT / national sales tax with a rebate for low income earners; almost every other wealthy nation has a VAT of some kind.

Because of the risks posed by climate change, I would support gradually phasing out the special deductions given to oil companies.  Implement a cap-and-trade system over a carbon tax, as cap-and-trade is a market-based solution, which have nearly always worked better than strictly punitive reforms.

Spending: Balance the budget, as much as possible each year. A BBA is impractical. I am generally supportive of cutting spending to balance the budget, in all areas, and auditing all levels of government, including Defense (with the caveat that I still, on balance, support Defense spending to be strong enough to protect the United States and to project global power). Regulations should be audited, revised and stripped if useless.  Give agencies the tools they need to enforce good regulations, and create red teams to allow new start-ups to navegate the red tape required for doing so to maintain global competitiveness.

Defense Spending: The Pentagon should have as much as it needs to continue the United States' military and technological edge over every other nations, and our enemies combined. That said, it should be audited for waste annually, and contractors should win contracts based on an open bidding process.

Trade: Complete free trader. I want a global trade pact that eliminates all trade barriers, subsidies, and support for local industries, with the caveat that developing nations are given 20 years to develop their industries to come into the trade pact as fully mature nations.  At the same time, we need to make reductions in our unfair competitive advantage in certain fields; farm subsidies should be phased out as soon as it is feasible to do so, both to encourage agriculturally-specialized nations to compete and to allow for cheaper goods for the American people.

Social Security and Medicare Reform: The Age of Retirement must be raised, to at least 70.  The current system as it stands is not feasible looking into the future, and will bankrupt us if left unchecked.  Open to privatization plans in the future, but I need to do some more research as to how such proposals would work.  However, from a moral standpoint, allowing employees to keep the money they would be paying in payroll taxes and instead allowing them to save or invest them would be a huge benefit to lower-income households if coupled with informative / educational programs to help people plan for retirement.  See Medicare below

ObamaCare: I support nearly everything in the bill, however I would have gone a step further.  It should have included a public option and also provided for allowing Medicare to negotiate with pharmaceudical companies for lower drug costs, etc.  Long-term, single-payer is almost undoubtedly a cost-effective method of reducing healthcare from the beheamoth it is today; it's simply impractical to be spending nearly 18% of our GDP on healthcare while nations like Canada and even the UK spend about half that.  We can also look at the Singaporean system as a model; there, healthcare is estimated at 3.9% of GDP because of price transparency and significant use of savings accounts except for the poor and elderly.  Their system is a near-perfect combination of the best of both worlds - private and public.  It's simply inefficient to be spending so much of our capital on healthcare when that money could be spent investing in our country's future (or bombs.  Whatever tickles your fancy).

Right to Work: Support the right of states to pass such laws, but I'd be reluctant to impose such a system for private sector workers.  Public sector unions have a much different role; it must be recognized that such workers are supported by the taxpayers and thus there is a different role for public sector unions than private.  I like Germany's system in which many major companies grant their unions a seat at the table in board meetings as well as a vote in confirming the next CEO.  This would do wonders to alleviate tensions between unionized workers/unions and upper management.

Federal Minimum Wage Hike: Support an increase in minimum wage, though increasing it too dramatically or too quickly would potentially be negative, there are studies supporting little to no detriment to employment if done gradually.

Immigration, Foreign Issues, National Security:

Immigration: Oppose a wall (impractical), but strongly believe that we should have a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants, on the condition they pay taxes. If convicted of violent crime, send them home.  Necessary to balance border security with compassion for the millions of illegal immigrants living here presently.

Iraq and Afghanistan: Supported the War in Iraq and still do. (Bush corrected course in 2007 in Iraq). Support continued American involvement in the world, as someone who believes that America has a strong role to play on the global stage (the United States is the last best hope of mankind - meaning that America should not withdraw into Fortress America, but continue to project power and influence). Therefore, the United States should be actively fighting ISIS, etc. and working to develop a better governing coalition in both nations that can lead these nations into peace.  However we need to be building international coalitions along the lines of the Gulf War, and follow the Powell Doctrine when it comes to intervention: clear mission goal, clear plan of entrance, ensure we have the resources to win it quickly, go in with overwhelming force, have a clear exit strategy, and have a clear plan for what will happen once we leave.

Syria:  Support the Freedom Syria fighters, fighting the Assad regime, but by leading an international effort to topple Assad and have a clear plan for a new coalition government once we're finished.

Iran: Continue the Obama accords, and to slowly reintegrate Iran into the international community, while making them give up their nuclear ambitions. This is far better than the alternatives.

PATRIOT Act: I support revamping it to accommodate the concerns of civil libertarians. I believe that reform is better than abolition.  It is important that we join with almost every other western nation by recognizing that such events occur when not anticipated.  Rather than having a law in place for bringing terrorists to justice after the fact, I'd rather prevent the attacks from occurring in the first place.  As of yet, we haven't seen a major attack on US soil since 9/11, with dozens of attacks stopped since then as a result of the Act, a commendable record.

Israel: Balance Israeli and Palestinian interests.  Both sides have committed and continue to commit actions in defiance of international law and we must negotiate a two-state solution.  I believe that doing so will allow some of the hatred for Israel in many Muslim countries to be alleviated, as well as potentially allowing Palestine to serve as a moderating (READ: moderately pro-Western) voice in the Arab World akin to that of Turkey or Jordan.

Global Warming: Climate change is real.  Let's stop the BS and actually fix the problem.  Period.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1064 on: December 12, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »

Social Issues

You seem to have a severe case of xenophobia, my friend.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #1065 on: December 12, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »

Social Issues

You seem to have a severe case of xenophobia, my friend.
Ya think?
Representative MJM
mjmsh22
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1066 on: December 12, 2014, 09:37:45 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2014, 08:08:28 PM by mjmsh22 »

Party: Democratic
Ideology: Very progressive. Want a welfare state where the government offers free public options for a wide range of infrastructure. Protect consumers and workers from companies which they cannot protect themselves against. Support a basic minimum income.

Abortion: Pro-choice until the fetus develops senses (which is not definite time, but current scientific literature seems to suggest 20+ weeks gestation)
Gay Marriage: Support
Drugs: Legalize all drugs, available for use at 18
Alcohol: Reduce age to 18
Stem Cell Research: Support all forms
Death Penalty: Oppose under all circumstances
Gun control: Support universal background checks. No guns in public. Ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines.
Affirmative Action: Oppose...this will never solve the problem at hand
Prostitution: Legalize, but do not allow brothels

Worker's Rights: Paid parental leave as in many countries like Sweden, for instance. Mandate combined vacation/sick/holiday pay of 25 days.
Right-to-work: Oppose. These laws just oppress freedom of association.
Corporate Welfare: Eliminate loopholes, particularly corporate inversion. Lower corporate income taxes, but ban negative income taxes.
Minimum Wage: Very important. Even $10.10 is not sufficient, though.
Capital Gains: Always tax as ordinary income
Health Care: SINGLE PAYER
Education: Charter schools are good, but most important thing we can do for education is make tuition free at public colleges and community colleges.
Trade: Free Trade
Social Security: In need of reform, but it is salvageable.

NSA: Like many, I am not too big of a fan of its tactics
ISIS: I support the war on terror. Air strikes are the way to go.
Military Spending: This can be reduced so easily.
Immigration: Amnesty. Promote legal immigration.
Cuba: End the embargo.
Foreign Aid: Support
U.N.: Support
Palestine: Try to work out a two state solution
Puerto Rico: Ideally, we should let Puerto Rico become its own country, but let them determine that for themselves.

Green Energy: Begin the move toward universal reliance on renewable energy like solar power to power electricity.
Keystone XL: Oppose
Nuclear Energy: Not the preferred method

Voter ID: Makes sense, but government needs to issue free IDs.
Campaign Finance: Rely solely on public funding for elections
Gerrymandering: the voting system for the House of Representatives should change to become a mixed-member proportional system.
Direct Election of Senators: Support
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #1067 on: December 12, 2014, 11:38:50 PM »

Ideology: Very progressive. Want a welfare state where the government offers free public options for a wide range of infrastructure. Protect consumers and workers from companies which they cannot protect themselves against. Support a basic minimum income.

Abortion: Pro-choice until the fetus develops senses (which is not definite time, but current scientific literature seems to suggest 20+ weeks gestation)
Gun control: Support universal background checks. No guns in public. Ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines.

Worker's Rights: Paid parental leave as in many countries like Sweden, for instance. Mandate combined vacation/sick/holiday pay of 25 days.
Corporate Welfare: Eliminate loopholes, particularly corporate inversion. Lower corporate income taxes, but ban negative income taxes.
Taxation: Let's just say progressive
Education: Charter schools are good, but most important thing we can do for education is make tuition free at public colleges and community colleges.

Puerto Rico: Ideally, we should let Puerto Rico become its own country, but let them determine that for themselves.

Green Energy: Begin the move toward universal reliance on renewable energy like solar power to power electricity.

Gerrymandering: the voting system for the House of Representatives should change to become a mixed-member proportional system.
Your a Social-Democrat not a Progressive.
Representative MJM
mjmsh22
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1068 on: December 13, 2014, 05:20:23 PM »

Taxation: Let's just say progressive

Your a Social-Democrat not a Progressive.

You're absolutely right; that would be a more accurate description. It is a force of habit to say I am a progressive because whenever I say I am a social democrat, people's minds tend to change that to democratic socialist, which I certainly am not.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1069 on: December 13, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2014, 10:31:33 PM by hopper »

Lets see:

Social:

Patriot Act: Oppose, it goes too far.

Keep Go in the Public Sphere: Oppose

Abortion-only in cases in life of the mother, incest, and rape.

Affirmative Action-Oppose

Drugs-only legal for medical use

Guns- ban on assualt weapons, background checks.

Same Sex Marriage-Support

Voter ID-Support

Death Penalty-Support only if person will be in jail for the rest of life.

Economic-

Taxes-need tax reform-progressive tax system.

Heath Care-Private competition across stateline

Privatize- Social Security, Oppose needs lockbox.

Minimum Wage-Raise but carefully with no job losses(hard to do.!)

Immigration Reform-Support, pay back taxes, go to the pack of line for citizenship.

Support Fair Trade not free trade.

Alternative Energy-Support if Alternative Energy is cleaner and more efficient than what we currently have.

School Vouchers-Support if below poverty line.

Right to Work-Support but don;t support union busting. Let the person choose if they want to be in the union or not.

Idealogy:

Probably Moderate Libertarian Liberal or Moderate Libertarian.

Party:

Republican
hopper
United States

« Reply #1070 on: December 13, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »

Social:

Fiscal:

Foreign:

Other:

Your like me almost. I could be to the left of you socially though but not too much.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1071 on: December 13, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »

Social Issues

Libertarian-Leaning Conservative. or Libertarian Conservative.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1072 on: December 14, 2014, 01:31:15 AM »

Economic and Fiscal Issues : Moderate Conservative
Foreign Policy : Moderate Conservative
Domestic Issues: Centrist
Social Issues : Moderate Liberal
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1073 on: December 14, 2014, 03:00:43 PM »

Economic and Fiscal Issues : Moderate Conservative
Foreign Policy : Moderate Conservative
Domestic Issues: Centrist
Social Issues : Moderate Liberal

Appropriate username.
Wolverines34
Rookie
United States
« Reply #1074 on: December 15, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »

How is Islamism not a threat to western values or liberal democracy?. Everysingle islamic country has no rights for women, gays, or minorities. 71% of Danish Muslims believe that the danish cartoonist should be hanged...When any type of religion becomes that powerful in culture, it IS a threat to freedom. And right now, that threat is Islam.

However, America has made this worse by continuing to intervene in the middle east. We should not get involved.

More of a elaboration on my views.

Taxes:Flatter and lower. 28% Tax Rate for the highest bracket, 10% for the lowest. The Very poor would pay no taxes. 10, 20, and 28% rates. Close loopholes.

Immigration:Return to our 1920s immigration laws. All Illegals must be deported.

Labor Unions:Support an alliance between Unions and Business like in Japan. It benifts everyone and increases wages and profits for both workers and business. Also cut business taxes.

Middle East:Avoid getting involved. Kick Turkey out of NATO.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies