Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2019, 04:02:00 am
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderators: NYGurl, Torie, Associate Justice PiT)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 379199 times)
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« on: March 23, 2005, 05:38:37 pm »

economics:  i support the free market and free trade.  period. 

Then why were you complaining about a flat tax about a week ago?
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 05:43:08 pm »

It's about fairness. If everyone has a stake in lower taxes, the free market benefits. No 'tax the rich' schemes.

Anyway, that plan actually exempted a generous amount of money.
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 05:47:04 pm »

The rich pay more than those in lower classes under the flat tax.
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 05:54:32 pm »

Social: I'm a libertarian. I believe the government should stay out of issues of morality unless it is a matter of negatively impacting others. On abortion, I am pro-life, although I hate those who go around calling pro-choice people "murderers." This is not productive to me.

Economic: Left-leaning libertarian. I believe the government should stay out of business issues unless they are directly and negatively impacting people in a significant way. The government should focus less on quotas, and more on prosecuting bad companies. Good corporate citizenship should be rewarded with tax breaks and logos usable for advertising. I believe taxes are necessary to allow the government to function, although they should be relatively low. Welfare should only be for those who truly need it.

Foreign Policy: Think before you jump and, if you jump, be honest about it. This is a primary reason why I disagree with the Bush administration - an important part of foreign policy is being honest about when you screw up and how you will correct it. The ends should not justify the means.

I never knew you were a libertarian! Welcome to the club; you should join the Republican Party.
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 11:30:25 pm »

-Support a progressive tax system.  The middle class is overtaxed and the rich are undertaxed.

People who say this miss the point. An income tax is not a tax on the rich, but the people becoming rich.

The best way to get the rich to pay their fair share is to close loopholes and end tax shelters. A perfectly flat rate would be ideal, as this is the only system completely void of 'get-arounds.' But the top rate right now is 35%! Certainly that is high enough!

-Support Social Security in its current form.  Increase the cap or eliminate the cape entirely and lower the payroll tax.

That is not Social Security in its current form. That is a welfare program, equivalent to abolishing Social Security.
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 01:21:50 am »

Social:

Libertarian views:
- Oppose FCC; realize that's not realistic right now, but at least stop it from spreading
- Legalize drugs
- No prescription necessary to buy anything
- Fully support school vouchers
- Don't apply federal Bill of Rights to the states; just consolidates power in the federal judiciary
- Federal government primarily for defense and free trade among the states
- Oppose gun control; legalize machine guns
- Oppose affirmative action

Mixed:
- Replace death penalty with hard labor

Liberal:
- Support guest worker program
- Relax immigration restrictions
- Oppose flag burning amendment

Conservative:
- No need to take vague references to God out of public life ("In God We Trust," "Under God" in the pledge, etc.)
- Oppose abortion except to save life of the mother
- Oppose campaign finance reform (also libertarian, I guess)
- Oppose gay/incestuous/polygamous marriages

Economic:

Liberal:
- Remove cap on all payroll taxes
- Cut Social Security and Medicare benefits for wealthy

Libertarian:
- Abolish the 'normal' income tax, and use the payroll tax to replace it, at a flat rate of about 15 percent, with no cap
- Repeal sixteenth amendment (since payroll tax is not a direct tax, as it is paid only by the employer on behalf of the employee)
- Get rid of taxes on everything except wages (includes sales taxes, property taxes, double taxation of all sorts, etc.)
- Abolish a lot of federal departments (Agriculture, Education, etc.)
- Cap federal outlays at 20 percent of last year's GDP

Conservative:
- Increased defense spending (like we're doing now)
- Oppose large deficits, but not necessarily small ones like we have now. The real problem is too much government spending.
- Support states' rights (oppose Federal Marriage Amendment in its current form; oppose Controlled Substances Act both because of this and because I support drug legalization, plus it's unconstitutional; etc.)

Foreign Policy:

Conservative views:
- Support Bush Doctrine
- Support Operation Enduring Freedom
- Support Operation Iraqi Freedom

Libertarian:
- Pull out of the UN
- Support free trade agreements

Mixed:
- Create a treaty making organization similar to NATO, only expanded
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 02:55:51 pm »

As a percentage of GDP, they are historically small.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies