Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:08:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 560799 times)
GreatTailedGrackle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.55, S: -8.78

« on: October 01, 2018, 09:58:16 PM »

If I start going issue-by issue it will take forever, so I will break it down into three parts, summarized briefly: social issues, economic issues, and foreign policy.

On nearly all the social issues I can think of I am a libertarian and usually hold positions near the extreme end of the spectrum.  However immigration and gun control are exceptions: in both cases I hold positions very near the political center.

On economics I am more moderate.  I am not opposed in principle to either government spending or regulation, but I believe that the justification for either one has to be pretty strong.  Regulation in particular, I think is excessive: I believe the only acceptable regulations are those address an externality, an imbalance of information, or a natural monopoly, and then only if the burden is commensurate with the harm the regulation addresses.  When it comes to spending, there are more reasons I would support it, but usually only if there is also strong fiscal multiplier.  I oppose deficit spending except in times of war or a major recession, but I also don't think we'll get the debt down in my lifetime.  When it comes to taxes, I don't like them (who does?) but am more concerned with loopholes than the rate.

On foreign policy, I'm much more internationalist than movement libertarians, and I loved John McCain's "League of Democracies" idea.  I support drone assassinations and some cases of targeted air strikes, but strongly oppose offensive wars involving ground forces.  I believe free trade and cultural ties are the best way to effect regime change in dictatorships.  I am skeptical of foreign aid because of the evidence that the most popular forms are counterproductive. I think withdrawing the US from the Orwellian "United Nations Human Rights Council" is one of the only things Trump got right, and I would like to kick the UN out of New York City as well, so that foreign dictators with outstanding travel bans can't speak at Columbia University or go shopping on Fifth Avenue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies