Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2019, 10:51:04 pm
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderators: NYGurl, Torie, Associate Justice PiT)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 383316 times)
AverroŽs
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -1.80, S: -0.10

P P

« on: December 26, 2011, 10:57:40 pm »

Overall: I would characterize myself as a pragmatic left-libertarian influenced by the thought of Hume, Rawls, and Burke.

I'm not sure where to start with the rest of this, so I'll write it later.
AverroŽs
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:15:33 pm »
« Edited: March 31, 2013, 10:19:31 am by Senator AverroŽs Nix »

I believe that the function of any government is to provide its citizens with security and stability. Government programs should aim to fulfill one of the following four roles:

1. National defense & public safety - Programs that protect citizens from physical harm and coercion
2. Institution building - Programs that promote a social order of honesty, fairness, and cooperation among citizens
3. Social insurance - Programs that aid citizens incapable of providing for themselves.
4. Public investment - Programs that promote the public good, including education, developing and improving infrastructure, and health services for working-aged citizens

I have more difficulty grappling with how government should be limited. Many of you know that I am a lapsed libertarian. By the time that I had begun posting here, I wasn't much of one, and by now, I'm clearly not even a leftist libertarian. It's true that many of the policies that I favor are consistent with me being one. But this is a coincidence. I do not favor these policies based on a libertarian ideology of any kind.

Anyway, I haven't had a good, clear answer to this question since I abandoned the ideological rigidity of libertarianism. I'm still inclined to endorse the harm principle, but I'm unsure about how it should be interpreted. I'm also wholly committed to allowing the open exchange of ideas - without exception - but this commitment is rooted in pragmatism. The only alternative to free speech is blind dogmatism and stagnation.

My favorite political thinkers include David Hume, Henry Thoreau, John Stuart Mill, Edmund Burke, Jeremy Bentham, and John Rawls.
AverroŽs
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:32:51 pm »

Actually, it's not that interesting. This thread would be more compelling if it consisted of something other than laundry lists of issue positions. You may as well copy-paste your answers from the political matrix quiz, for all the insight that these responses provide.

Originally those where the kinds of answers given, until nickshepDem and Beet started doing a 'laundry list' of their positions on the issues -I believe this was on pages 2 and 3.  From then on, virtually everyone followed suit.  

I don't mean to suggest that the format that's been followed is an entirely vapid exercise. It's just that it seems to consist of people listing positions and the occasional critical comment about one or two items from the list. I suppose that can be useful, but I've never seen much engagement in this thread. Which is unfortunate! Many of these posts (including yours) are obviously the product of consideration and possibly hours of effort. People would be better off posting their own "Issue Positions" threads, each provoking a separate set of discussions.
AverroŽs
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:52:45 am »

How about Hawaii?
AverroŽs
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:41:55 am »

[...]

Another piece of evidence in favor of the idea that utopianism is largely a symptom of cynicism about human nature.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies