Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2019, 09:14:58 am
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderators: NYGurl, Torie, Associate Justice PiT)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 379400 times)
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 12, 2015, 03:16:49 pm »

I consider myself pretty independent. There aren't many things that get to me on a visceral level, so I tend to look at politics more detached and academically and statistically (I teach high school AP Statistics). I lean somewhat more R than D, but I like some Libertarian and Green ideas as well. I voted for Jill Stein in the last Presidential election; though Gary Johnson was closer to some of my views, he wasn't on the ballot in MI. I just didn't want to vote for Obama or Romney. By 2014 I was in a more conservative mood and for the most part joined in the national, if temporary, move toward the GOP.

My views on specific issues (abortion, gay marriage, minimum wage, etc.) tend to be nuanced, though I try to side with the underdog. I do feel something must be said on the subject of abortion, however. We often think "pro-life" vs. "pro-choice"; however, I have heard of more than one person who has advocated that in certain cases abortion should be *mandatory*, thus taking the choice away from the mother.
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 03:21:58 pm »
« Edited: May 12, 2015, 03:24:14 pm by mathstatman »

I'm surprised people keep calling themselves pro-life and then in the same sentence, type that they'd let the individual make the choice. You do realize that makes you 100% pro-choice, right?
I include myself in that category. I have supported a neighborhood crisis pregnancy center because I believe they do, in fact, provide a valuable service for women and children (and that that makes me "pro-life"). At the same time I believe abortion is a very personal choice, not one that should be made by politicians.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies