What happens to the Tea Party If the GOP wins back the White House?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:24:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What happens to the Tea Party If the GOP wins back the White House?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What happens to the Tea Party If the GOP wins back the White House?  (Read 5021 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 05:06:39 PM »

Once the Republicans achieve power again, they won't need these crackpots in the broken tea pot party. 

Some of the more severly politically sensibly challenged will be still be ranting and raving about this, that, and the other thing, but the sensible ones will fall into line.

The GOP will throw them a few scraps to keep them happy, and to keep their votes.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »

Hopefully, they'll fade away into the pages of history.

This. And if they're still out and working then they'll probably be complete hacks for the republicans. They won't complain anymore about a tyrannical government or presidential power grabs as long as the person they like is in power.

Like I said,

Just like all the liberals who complained loudly and nonstop about Bush for 8 years. Then did a complete 180 and have since supported Obama/the Democrats 100% in every instance even when the White House pushes for the same exact policies that the previous occupant did.

Ex. Debt ceiling and NSA Surveillance as one example. Hell if you look at many of the left-wing members of this forum who bitched and complained non-stop about GWB suppressing civil liberties and more for 8 years they do a complete turnaround and support Obama over the same things.

How old are you? Do you actually remember the Bush administration? Sure, liberals criticized bush, and yes, some are turning a blind eye to the same bad stuff the Obama administration is doing, but opposition to Bush was NOTHING like the tea party today.

First of all, most liberals kept their mouths shut after 9/11 and basically gave Bush free reign to start the war on terror. Honestly, I wish they had spoken up, but the administration created this false dichotomy where you either supported Bush or hated America. Bush basically got a free pass for a couple years, while Obama from day 1 had to deal with the tea party. Bush never had to face rumors that questioned his faith, patriotism or his citizenship. Democrats never threatened to shut down the government to spite Bush when they took control of congress. And Laura Bush was never compared to a monkey or a cow.

And if you call them out on this, and the fact that it's racially charged, they start screaming "RACE CARD!!!"

I went to Washington on a school trip in May of 2009, just over 4 months into President Obama's first term. On the first day of the trip, just after we'd made it inside the beltway, we were originally going to go take group pictures outside the White House, but we couldn't because there were several protesters wearing banana suits with signs calling the President a monkey and a cotton picker and worse. You can't say it's not about race when you're doing things like that. Not to mention the store owner in Georgia who posted on the sign outside his establishment, "I do not support the n***** in the White House," and all the t-shirts that popped up at Romney rallies saying "Put the White back in the White House."

That said, the only reason any of my Tea Party friends supported Herman Cain was so they could say, "We're not racists! We support a black guy too!" I think that if Hillary wins in 2016, you'll see the same hatred, this time misogynistic, directed at the President.

Moreover, I think that the longer the GOP allows these members of their party to be so vocal in their hatred for anyone who's not a White, Christian, heterosexual male, they're going to keep losing. And if they nominate someone like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul for President, they'll have proved that they learned absolutely nothing from 2012 and Democrats will keep winning.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 04:12:01 PM »

I kinda think that they may stick around, at least for awhile more. I think it is inevitable that if the GOP candidate wins in 2016, that whoever it is will inevitably be deemed as a "moderate" by the Tea Party due to the needs of governing, especially if this new GOP President has to cut deals with a Democratic-controlled Senate. Also I imagine that this GOP President wouldn't have won in '16 if he was a pure idealogue, but is instead more pragmatic and is on a good terms with the party establishment. Meaning this is probably someone like Walker or Bush.

So in short, I could see them being a thorn in the side of this Republican President. With maybe even Ted Cruz or Mike Lee trying to primary him in 2020. 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »

So why isn't anyone looking at the chance that the Tea Party wing wins the nomination and the general. After 7 straight times of moderates getting the nod and losing 4 of those it's time the conservative/tea party wing lead for a while. I'm looking at you Rand Paul
Moderate? Gerald Ford was probably the last "Moderate" to win the Republican Nomination for President and that was almost 40 years ago.

I like Rand Paul but the guy makes off-beat comments at times and he hasn't run anything. I don't want another Obama: all bark and no bite.

Bush 41, Dole, Bush 43, McCain, Romney. That's seven moderate led GOP nominations. Yes I consider W a moderate.  The last conservative was 30 years ago. We all know how he landslid Mondale and Carter.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 06:07:44 PM »

So why isn't anyone looking at the chance that the Tea Party wing wins the nomination and the general. After 7 straight times of moderates getting the nod and losing 4 of those it's time the conservative/tea party wing lead for a while. I'm looking at you Rand Paul
Because the tea party is great at winning elections. Just ask Akin, Mourdock, O'Donnell, Miller, and Buck.
sdu754
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 01:12:30 AM »

This. And if they're still out and working then they'll probably be complete hacks for the republicans. They won't complain anymore about a tyrannical government or presidential power grabs as long as the person they like is in power.

Like I said,

Just like all the liberals who complained loudly and nonstop about Bush for 8 years. Then did a complete 180 and have since supported Obama/the Democrats 100% in every instance even when the White House pushes for the same exact policies that the previous occupant did.

Ex. Debt ceiling and NSA Surveillance as one example. Hell if you look at many of the left-wing members of this forum who bitched and complained non-stop about GWB suppressing civil liberties and more for 8 years they do a complete turnaround and support Obama over the same things.

How old are you? Do you actually remember the Bush administration? Sure, liberals criticized bush, and yes, some are turning a blind eye to the same bad stuff the Obama administration is doing, but opposition to Bush was NOTHING like the tea party today.

First of all, most liberals kept their mouths shut after 9/11 and basically gave Bush free reign to start the war on terror. Honestly, I wish they had spoken up, but the administration created this false dichotomy where you either supported Bush or hated America. Bush basically got a free pass for a couple years, while Obama from day 1 had to deal with the tea party. Bush never had to face rumors that questioned his faith, patriotism or his citizenship. Democrats never threatened to shut down the government to spite Bush when they took control of congress. And Laura Bush was never compared to a monkey or a cow.

And if you call them out on this, and the fact that it's racially charged, they start screaming "RACE CARD!!!"

I went to Washington on a school trip in May of 2009, just over 4 months into President Obama's first term. On the first day of the trip, just after we'd made it inside the beltway, we were originally going to go take group pictures outside the White House, but we couldn't because there were several protesters wearing banana suits with signs calling the President a monkey and a cotton picker and worse. You can't say it's not about race when you're doing things like that. Not to mention the store owner in Georgia who posted on the sign outside his establishment, "I do not support the n***** in the White House," and all the t-shirts that popped up at Romney rallies saying "Put the White back in the White House."

That said, the only reason any of my Tea Party friends supported Herman Cain was so they could say, "We're not racists! We support a black guy too!" I think that if Hillary wins in 2016, you'll see the same hatred, this time misogynistic, directed at the President.

Moreover, I think that the longer the GOP allows these members of their party to be so vocal in their hatred for anyone who's not a White, Christian, heterosexual male, they're going to keep losing. And if they nominate someone like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul for President, they'll have proved that they learned absolutely nothing from 2012 and Democrats will keep winning.

There are fringe elements in both parties, so saying that all Republicans are racist because a few are shows your true mentality. People pull the "race card" on me all the time online. The last time was due to my "bigoted comments" correcting a liberal who thought that Truman passed social security and Reagan was the president who first took money out to hide debt. If you don't agree with Obama you're automatically labeled a racist, it gets old.

As far as opposition to Bush compared to Obama, it was way worse against Bush. It went beyond the lunatic fringe. Obama himself said it was "unpatriotic" to run budget deficits the way Bush did. Look at the media coverage of the wars & Guantanamo since Obama took office. From front page to non existent.
crash1984
Rookie
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 03:04:18 AM »

I think the bigger question is what happens to the Republican Party  in 2016. Somehow I think if Republicans win the White House in 2016 it is going to be a bad 2018/2020 for them. The thing is that presidents can not get by only focusing on their own agendas. They have to at times meet the other party on some demands to keep the country going. For instance Obama was supposed to do away with the Bush tax cuts, but instead he has extended them on two occasions. Same could be said about George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, and Ronald Reagan. I could see this being the thing that finally splits the Tea Party off from the Republicans.

Scenario 1 is this. Lets say someone who is a moderate does get elected. With the on-going scandals I kind of think Christie is out of play so lets say someone like Jeb Bush does get elected. He is going to have to almost certainly deal with a Democratic senate for two years, and if mid-term trends continue in which the party in power loses a bit, four years. I could see him meeting the Democrats on some of their agendas and the Tea Party calling him a RINO.  Since he would almost certainly win the nomination again I could see some of the more radical Republicans breaking off and running their own candidate which would almost certainly spell doom for the Republican Party come 2020.

Scenario 2 is that someone like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul gets the presidency and keeps the tea party agenda going. Nothing would get done and come 2018 Republicans would get obliterated and 2020 would be even worse. It would probably be along the lines of 2008 numbers. At that point I could see the more moderate Republicans either getting rid of the Tea Party members or creating their own party. It would still take several years of rebuilding.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 04:14:24 PM »

Because the tea party is great at winning elections. Just ask Akin, Mourdock, O'Donnell, Miller, and Buck.

I'll give you Akin and O'Donnell. Mourdock was betrayed by many in the establishment wing of the GOP in Indiana(I know because I aided his grassroots teams) and Miller was betrayed by the Alaskan establishment GOP folks too by not telling Murkowski to step aside.
hopper
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »

I think the bigger question is what happens to the Republican Party  in 2016. Somehow I think if Republicans win the White House in 2016 it is going to be a bad 2018/2020 for them. The thing is that presidents can not get by only focusing on their own agendas. They have to at times meet the other party on some demands to keep the country going. For instance Obama was supposed to do away with the Bush tax cuts, but instead he has extended them on two occasions. Same could be said about George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, and Ronald Reagan. I could see this being the thing that finally splits the Tea Party off from the Republicans.

Scenario 1 is this. Lets say someone who is a moderate does get elected. With the on-going scandals I kind of think Christie is out of play so lets say someone like Jeb Bush does get elected. He is going to have to almost certainly deal with a Democratic senate for two years, and if mid-term trends continue in which the party in power loses a bit, four years. I could see him meeting the Democrats on some of their agendas and the Tea Party calling him a RINO.  Since he would almost certainly win the nomination again I could see some of the more radical Republicans breaking off and running their own candidate which would almost certainly spell doom for the Republican Party come 2020.

Scenario 2 is that someone like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul gets the presidency and keeps the tea party agenda going. Nothing would get done and come 2018 Republicans would get obliterated and 2020 would be even worse. It would probably be along the lines of 2008 numbers. At that point I could see the more moderate Republicans either getting rid of the Tea Party members or creating their own party. It would still take several years of rebuilding.
I just don't see Cruz winning the Presidency the guy has no policy chops. At least Paul will have some kind of vision in terms of what he wants to enact in terms of policy. On paper a Paul vs Hillary election would be the same popular vote wise probably as 2008 McCain vs Obama but that's on paper.

Look the Tea Party has to understand look if Jeb Bush is the president he is gonna have to work with the Democrats because they are in charge of congress. What is Jeb Bush supposed to do? Nothing because he has a Dem Congress.
hopper
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 05:42:37 PM »

Moderate? Gerald Ford was probably the last "Moderate" to win the Republican Nomination for President and that was almost 40 years ago.

I like Rand Paul but the guy makes off-beat comments at times and he hasn't run anything. I don't want another Obama: all bark and no bite.

Bush 41, Dole, Bush 43, McCain, Romney. That's seven moderate led GOP nominations. Yes I consider W a moderate.  The last conservative was 30 years ago. We all know how he landslid Mondale and Carter.
W was a Big Government Conservative. There is a difference. McCain and Dole were Moderate Conservatives not total moderates. I might give you HW though being a Moderate though. Romney he is always all over the place with where he is on the issues. I guess you could call him an economic moderate though.
hopper
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 05:57:43 PM by hopper »

Like I said,

First of all, most liberals kept their mouths shut after 9/11 and basically gave Bush free reign to start the war on terror. Honestly, I wish they had spoken up, but the administration created this false dichotomy where you either supported Bus or hated America. Bush basically got a free pass for a couple years, while Obama from day 1 had to deal with the tea party. Bush never had to face rumors that questioned his faith, patriotism or his citizenship. Democrats never threatened to shut down the government to spite Bush when they took control of congress. And Laura Bush was never compared to a monkey or a cow.
Obama did not have to deal with the Tea Party from day 1 the first Tea Party Rally was on Tax Day Aril 15th(I think) of 2009 and the Obama Presidency started in late January of 2009.

Citizenship? I remember Dems saying McCain was not born here and Ted Cruz was born in Canada both of which are true and they didn't qualify to run as Presidential which is false. I know McCain and Cruz don't/didn't have to deal with the issue as long as Obama had to though and the issue was getting to be stupid anyway with how long the issue was being talked about.

Obama had a 6 month honeymoon like any other president except for Bush W because he had 9/11 to deal with.

Some people will say things like calling a woman a cow. I don't condone the monkey comment because its racist but there are always people that are ignorant.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies