What happened in Wisconsin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:40:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What happened in Wisconsin?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happened in Wisconsin?  (Read 1150 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:04:30 PM »
« edited: February 26, 2014, 07:07:32 PM by Illini142 »

So I was looking at some Wisconsin county data from the past, and something struck me. I had always known that Democrats in Wisconsin do better in the western portion of the state than the eastern (with the exception of Milwaukee and Kenosha, which acts as a Chicago suburb).

However, I noticed that their success in western WI has shifted southward over the years. It has gone from rural northwest Wisconsin to rural southwest Wisconsin, with Madison and micro-citiy of Eau Claire remaining fairly constant.

Take a look:

1992 and 1996 the Democrats capture much of the state and then...BAM

What could have caused this? How different are the demographics in SW WI than NW WI?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:31:46 PM »

combination towards anti-environment attitudes (think lumber industry under attack) and maybe some spillover from MSP exurbs
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:06:08 PM »

This is an interesting question. It's actually a part of a larger pattern in surrounding states. I won't post the whole series of dates, but just compare 1976 to 2012. Notice how in each case, rural areas adjacent to SW Wisconsin - in SE Minnesota, NW Illinois and NE Iowa - have shifted from R to D while many other rural areas in these states have shifted in the opposite direction, from D to R.

Minnesota, 1976:

Minnesota, 2012:

Iowa, 1976:

Iowa, 2012:

Illinois, 1976:

Illinois, 2012:

I think that there are three things going on here.

First, aside from the Iron Range, the Democrats have lost a lot of their rural (or at least small-city) industrial working-class vote. This is important in southern Illinois (as well as the upper south generally), but also in much of northern Wisconsin which has been historically dependent on the forest industry.

Second, there used to be a kind of farm-populist vote in the flat, fertile plains of western Minnesota and Iowa. This has dwindled as farms have consolidated and become more corporate. Some religious conservatism may also be important to this trend. Although northern Wisconsin is mostly forested, there is an area of flat prairie in the western "bulge" between Eau Claire and the Twin Cities that appears also to have undergone this trend.

Third, the rural driftless area along the upper Mississippi below the Twin Cities has shifted in the opposite direction. This area is agricultural, without much forestry or other industry, but has a hilly terrain that keeps farms smaller and less tied to big agribusiness, and it's also an area where the strands of Protestantism that have remained very socially conservative are rare. (In these respects it has some rough similarities to rural New England, which is likewise a historically Republican region that has gone Democratic).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »

Democrats are attracted to water (see the political leanings of both the east and west coast), and in recent years have begun to build up strength along the Mississippi River.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies