Virginia could produce two presidential hopefuls in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 10:54:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Virginia could produce two presidential hopefuls in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Virginia could produce two presidential hopefuls in 2008  (Read 4702 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2005, 02:15:45 PM »
« edited: March 25, 2005, 02:17:48 PM by nickshepDEM »

Nick, in regards to the tax increase:

It was pushed through the legislature because most people were under the impression that a tax increase was needed in order to balance the Virginia budget. As it turns out, Virginia ended up running a surplus (the state made $1.2 billion more revenue than was initially anticipated, the tax increases were designed to generate close to $1.5 billion).

Thanks for the info.  Do you think the tax reform was a good thing or a bad thing?  Has it helped Virginia or hurt Virginia?

Has anyone thought about this?  Maybe Gov. Warner is planning to run in 2008, but not for president.  In 2008 Sen. John Warner will be 81 and probably retire form the U.S. Senate.  That would be the perfect time for Mark Warner to run for senate and probably be the favorite.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2005, 02:20:07 PM »

Well, seeing as it was unnecessary, hurt Virginia.

We need a flat tax.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2005, 02:36:17 PM »

Nick, in regards to the tax increase:

It was pushed through the legislature because most people were under the impression that a tax increase was needed in order to balance the Virginia budget. As it turns out, Virginia ended up running a surplus (the state made $1.2 billion more revenue than was initially anticipated, the tax increases were designed to generate close to $1.5 billion).

Thanks for the info.  Do you think the tax reform was a good thing or a bad thing?  Has it helped Virginia or hurt Virginia?

Has anyone thought about this?  Maybe Gov. Warner is planning to run in 2008, but not for president.  In 2008 Sen. John Warner will be 81 and probably retire form the U.S. Senate.  That would be the perfect time for Mark Warner to run for senate and probably be the favorite.

About the tax increase: I'm generally not a fan of tax increases, but I want to see what's going to come of this extra money before I make any judgments either way. It could be that we'll need this extra money sometime soon.

About Sen. Warner: I intern in his DC office and I've asked some of the staffers about Sen. Warner's '08 plans. From what they've told me and from what contact I've had with the Senator, I would put about 95% odds that he's coming back for another run. He seems to enjoy it still and has plenty of energy. 
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2005, 02:51:17 PM »

Again, why does anyone like Warner?
Again, why does anyone like you?

Nice job adopting his trollishness.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2005, 02:54:11 PM »

Again, why does anyone like Warner?
Again, why does anyone like you?

Nice job adopting his trollishness.

No, it is hardly trollish to ask why conservatives like a tax-hiking liberal.

As for an example of something trollish, that would be bringing up an exchange that everyone has moved past for 15 posts now. Nice job at being an asshole.
South Park Republican
southparkgop
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2005, 04:54:53 PM »

Doubtful. More doubtful is that two Virginians would be nominated... Allen has a solid shot at the nomination but Warner doesn't on his side.

Put your partisan side, aside.  Who wins if for some odd reason they both get their parties nomination?

It is hard to say what appeal either has outside of VA, but it would probably go something like the last election.  And I think Allen wwould carry Virginia.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2005, 06:06:04 PM »

Warner wins 284-254.  Closest states are Col, Iowa (switch parties from '04), Nev, NM (switch), Ohio (switch), Virg, WV, & Wisc.  Warner's percieved centrism would flip states that respond more to centrist Democrats than John Kerry.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies