NYC General Discussion - You Hear That Giant Sucking Sound?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:07:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYC General Discussion - You Hear That Giant Sucking Sound?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: NYC General Discussion - You Hear That Giant Sucking Sound?  (Read 14644 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »

It's funny that oakvale (correctly) supports The Mayor on this, since it seems like the biggest backlash against it is in the Irish community. Liam Neeson is vociferously campaigning against it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 05:22:17 PM »

New Yorkers Want Horse-Drawn Carriages to Stay (and oppose de Blasio's school policies)

http://politicker.com/2014/03/poll-new-yorkers-want-horse-drawn-carriages-to-stay/

Obviously a plan to put hardworking people, most of whom are from immigrant backgrounds, out of a job for no good reason, is unpopular. (I assume most of the horses would be put down as well).

The plan isn't to put them out of work and there are several very good reasons to get rid of horse-drawn carriages. Also, your assumption about what'll happen to the horses is also wrong. So yeah.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 05:23:57 PM »

It's funny that oakvale (correctly) supports The Mayor on this, since it seems like the biggest backlash against it is in the Irish community. Liam Neeson is vociferously campaigning against it.

Neeson has clearly been paid off. Disgusting stuff.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 05:33:44 PM »

New Yorkers Want Horse-Drawn Carriages to Stay (and oppose de Blasio's school policies)

http://politicker.com/2014/03/poll-new-yorkers-want-horse-drawn-carriages-to-stay/

Obviously a plan to put hardworking people, most of whom are from immigrant backgrounds, out of a job for no good reason, is unpopular. (I assume most of the horses would be put down as well).

The plan isn't to put them out of work and there are several very good reasons to get rid of horse-drawn carriages. Also, your assumption about what'll happen to the horses is also wrong. So yeah.

We already have an excess of working horses in this country.  The idea that they'll go into peaceable retirement or the like is ludicrous unless De Blazio is going to pay for that to happen himself. Bloomberg could have afforded to do something that idiotic, but not De Blazio. Now it is possible that some of them will displace other working horses which will be put down instead of the ones from Central Park and also some of the oversupply could be dealt with by not allowing as many horses to breed.  But regardless of the exact mechanics, the net result of De Blazio's ban will be fewer horses.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 05:50:46 PM »

We already have an excess of working horses in this country.  The idea that they'll go into peaceable retirement or the like is ludicrous unless De Blazio is going to pay for that to happen himself. Bloomberg could have afforded to do something that idiotic, but not De Blazio. Now it is possible that some of them will displace other working horses which will be put down instead of the ones from Central Park and also some of the oversupply could be dealt with by not allowing as many horses to breed.  But regardless of the exact mechanics, the net result of De Blazio's ban will be fewer horses.

Many people (some of them incredibly wealthy) have already offered to adopt horses. If the ban actually goes through that number will only go up and several organizations are already raising money to deal with horses that aren't adopted right away. There are only 200 of them, it's not like there's an outrageous number of them.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 06:14:49 PM »

Why not allow the horse-drawn carriages and simply amp up regulation enforcement of their working and living conditions? Carriage owners would prefer to have to impliment reforms than lose thier business entirely, and all but the PETA "pet-dom is slavery" extremists should be satidified with the horses not being uncared and too overworked.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »

It's a clear attack on the tourism industry. We shouldn't fold in front of the extremism and fundamentalism and PETA.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 07:16:52 PM »

Not everyone who wants carriage horses banned is a member of PETA so I think we can give that talking point a rest for a while guys.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »

Not everyone who wants carriage horses banned is a member of PETA so I think we can give that talking point a rest for a while guys.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the alternative of effectively enforcing laws requiring the horses be well-cared for should satisfy all but that extreme element.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2014, 07:55:58 PM by Eraserhead »

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the alternative of effectively enforcing laws requiring the horses be well-cared for should satisfy all but that extreme element.

The problem is that they've tried enforcing those kinds of laws already and they don't really work. Many of the horses are still being overworked in extreme conditions and they're still out in the streets causing traffic accidents. It's also not uncommon to see them treated cruelly by the drivers. Anyone who spends a lot of time in NYC (like me) will likely have seen this with their own eyes.

It's an antiquated part of life in the city that really just needs to be done away with permanently at this point imo.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »

The problem is that they've tried enforcing those kinds of laws already and they don't really work. Many of the horses are still being overworked in extreme conditions and they're still out in the streets causing traffic accidents. It's also not uncommon to see them treated cruelly by the drivers. Anyone who spends a lot of time in NYC (like me) will likely have seen this with their own eyes.

It's an antiquated aspect of life in the city that really just needs to be removed permanently at this point imo.

And, they smell bad.  But, in any case, we're still going to have police horses, right?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 07:58:17 PM »

Those horses will be ready meals within days
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »

That's not surprising, Irish-Americans are generally terrible. Liam Neeson must have gone native.

Atlas's opposition probably has something to do with its bizarre vitrolic overreaction to anything approaching animal rights.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 08:00:32 PM »

It's hardly 'funny' Oakvale is Irish. Hating and Moaning about Irish people is what Irish people do. It would be showing a distinct lack of patriotism if he agreed.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »

That's not surprising, Irish-Americans are generally terrible. Liam Neeson must have gone native.

Atlas's opposition probably has something to do with its bizarre vitrolic overreaction to anything approaching animal rights.

Supporting anything that might have something to do with animal rights makes you a True Leftist, I guess. Or something.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 08:14:12 PM »

I'm betting most of you are regretting not supporting Quinn now.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »

I'm betting most of you are regretting not supporting Quinn now.

LOL. Really?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 01:18:59 PM »

Tish James Renews Public Advocate’s Legislative Role
http://observer.com/2014/03/tish-james-renews-public-advocates-legislative-role/#ixzz2xTI1fS34

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Joshgreen
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »

The concern trolling is strong in this thread.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »

Charter schools score great victory
http://ny.chalkbeat.org/2014/03/29/eva-moskowitz-calls-state-budget-deal-a-historic-moment-in-public-education/

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2014, 10:24:42 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2014, 01:41:19 PM by True Federalist »

Mayor de Blasio Has a Habit of Leaving Out the Press

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/05/mayor-de-blasio-has-a-habit-of-leaving-out-press.html

It appears he's not up to media scrutiny; as the Observer put it, he appears to have a "transparency problem"
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2014, 10:28:08 PM »

New York’s Welfare Reactionaries
Mayor de Blasio and his HRA chief look to turn back the clock on 20 years of progress.

http://www.city-journal.org/2014/eon0521hm.html
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2014, 10:30:17 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2014, 10:33:14 PM by Lіef »

Wonderful news! Looks like The Mayor is doing a great job quickly turning back the right-wingery of the Giuliani/Bloomberg years.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2014, 03:27:17 AM »

That's not how "reaction" works.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2014, 04:16:24 AM »

This is excellent. Welfare "reform" was one of the vilest, most disgusting policies in the last 40 years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies