most conservative dem? most liberal rep?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:50:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  most conservative dem? most liberal rep?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: most conservative dem? most liberal rep?  (Read 5402 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2005, 05:30:11 PM »

who is the most conservative democrat that has a *REALISTIC* shot at winning the nomination?

who is the most liberal republican that has a *REALISTIC* shot at the nomination?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 05:32:35 PM »

who is the most conservative democrat that has a *REALISTIC* shot at winning the nomination?

who is the most liberal republican that has a *REALISTIC* shot at the nomination?

Democrat- Ben Nelson of Nebraska

Republican- Giuliani

I don't expect either of these to win, but they have a realistic shot if the primary process and media attention go their way.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 05:38:19 PM »

Democrat: Mark Warner
Republican: John McCain
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 05:41:17 PM »

Democrat: Mark Warner
Republican: John McCain
Yeah, that is more realisitic, although I really think, if you look at records and past public stances, Giuliani is more liberal. He currently leads in many polls. Is it likely Giuliani would win, no, but is it unrealistic to think he could? No.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 05:43:45 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2005, 05:54:23 PM by nickshepDEM »

Dem - Phil Bredesen (PC estimate:  E -1, S -2)
Rep -  Rudy Giuliani  (PC estimate:  E +4, S -4)

If I had to guess Id say Warner is around E -2, S -2
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 05:48:40 PM »

Oh yeah, Bredesen. How could I forget? Today's Tennessean had a top of the fold article: Bredesen basically has permission from the feds to cut 323,000 people off their govt health insurance. And they are basically the most expensive patients (ie those who are the sickest and least likely to get private insurance). Bredesen refuses to even consider a cigarette tax to keep some of these patients on TennCare.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 05:50:02 PM »

Make that Bredesen Economic +2
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 05:53:50 PM »

Oh yeah, Bredesen. How could I forget? Today's Tennessean had a top of the fold article: Bredesen basically has permission from the feds to cut 323,000 people off their govt health insurance. And they are basically the most expensive patients (ie those who are the sickest and least likely to get private insurance). Bredesen refuses to even consider a cigarette tax to keep some of these patients on TennCare.

Make that Bredesen Economic +2
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 06:08:01 PM »

That would take Bredesen out of the "realistic" column for the Dems.  I'm not trying to say that McCain is more liberal than Giuliani, just more realistic to see him nominated.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 06:11:11 PM »

What a great guy! Too bad my Democratic governor's nothing like that...
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 06:11:54 PM »

Most of them have a heart...
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 06:40:23 PM »

Of course, I don't think we have a "VACare" or anything.
Cashcow

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 06:52:52 PM »

What are Bredesen's social stances? I kind of like him, but that may change.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 07:33:30 PM »

Dem - Phil Bredesen (PC estimate:  E -1, S -2)
Rep -  Rudy Giuliani  (PC estimate:  E +4, S -4)

If I had to guess Id say Warner is around E -2, S -2

Rudy I would say is +1 -7 (he is pro choice, pro gun control, pro gay-roghts, anti fma, basically pro gay marriage, anti PBA law)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 09:42:35 PM »

What are Bredesen's social stances? I kind of like him, but that may change.
Bredesen's social stances are to avoid social stances. The one comment I recall is that when dealing with the issue of abortion, Bredesen basically didn't take a position and said he'd let the legislature deal with it. So, he avoids these issues, which probably means he's more socially liberal than the state at large, which isn't saying much.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 03:04:38 AM »

That's because you have a real Democrat as Governer who actually cares about the people who put him in office.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 03:19:13 PM »

Most conservative Dem - Bill Richardson

Most liberal Republican - Mitt Romney

Note: I don't believe Richardson is a conservative nor do I believe Romney is a liberal. I just believe they are the closest to each ideology.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 05:19:05 PM »

Warner
Giuliani

Wish I had something original to put on the table, but I don't...
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 05:35:48 PM »

Most conservative Dem - Bill Richardson

Most liberal Republican - Mitt Romney

Note: I don't believe Richardson is a conservative nor do I believe Romney is a liberal. I just believe they are the closest to each ideology.

I forgot about Richardson!  He seems to be more conservative than Warner, as far as Romney, I just don't think it's realistic to think he'll win the nomination.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 11:07:39 PM »

TCash,

I think that you're being a little hard on our Gov.  If he doesn't reform TNCare, and raising cig taxes isn't exactly what I call reform, then the entire system will collapse.  That will cause far more than 300,000 to lose their insurance.

Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005, 11:09:52 PM »

By the way,  Bredesen has said that he is pro-choice, though he does go out of his way to push the issue.  Considering Governor's have little impact on the abortion debate, why agitate the opposition with such an issue.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 11:18:50 PM »

Well, I was really writing in the context of agreeing that he is pretty conservative for a Democrat, the topic of the thread.

I agree with reform of TennCare, although I'm beginning to believe he's cutting the wrong people off. If we are to have a safety net it should be for those most in need and he seems to be keeping those who need an option for convenience, without charging them much for the privilege.(i.e. self-employed) Nor does he seem interested in charging a copay for doctor visits, which would help costs some, but more importantly, would deter people from going to the doctor for needless care. But I absolutely agree it needs reform. Paying for six monthly perscriptions is quite a fair limit, if not still excessive. TennCare is eating way too much of the state budget.

But his actions do make any hope of him being the Democratic nominee for pres pretty remote.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 11:31:38 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2005, 11:33:55 PM by TCash101 »

By the way,  Bredesen has said that he is pro-choice, though he does go out of his way to push the issue.  Considering Governor's have little impact on the abortion debate, why agitate the opposition with such an issue.

You recently said to me:

he only problem, or at least the major problem that I have with moderates, is that they seem to lack 'the vision thing' as Bush 41 used to say.   Clearly conservatives like Dubya, and Reagan before him,  have a vision for where they want to take the country.  Likewise, liberals such as Feingold also have a vision for which direction they would like to take the country.  However, moderates often seem like status quo candidates without a compelling vision at all.  This may not be truly accurate, but perception plays a tremendous role in politics.  That's why both conservatives and liberals vie for the nations affection, while moderates seem to jump on the bandwagen of the philosphy that is winning the day. 

On social issues and protecting rights of women, gays, minorities, I agree with your statement that moderates lack the vision thing. Bredesen is "playing it safe" and protecting his own political ass as conservatives wage a war on rights in this state. He can cut wasteful govt spending, fine by me, but if he doesn't care to take sides in the social battles of the day, I have little use for him, especially in regards to seeking higher office.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005, 11:54:55 PM »

This is kind of pointless before any candidates are known, and how do you define 'realistic'? For example did Lieberman have a realistic chance?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 12:00:12 AM »

You recently said to me:

he only problem, or at least the major problem that I have with moderates, is that they seem to lack 'the vision thing' as Bush 41 used to say.   Clearly conservatives like Dubya, and Reagan before him,  have a vision for where they want to take the country.  Likewise, liberals such as Feingold also have a vision for which direction they would like to take the country.  However, moderates often seem like status quo candidates without a compelling vision at all.  This may not be truly accurate, but perception plays a tremendous role in politics.  That's why both conservatives and liberals vie for the nations affection, while moderates seem to jump on the bandwagen of the philosphy that is winning the day. 

On social issues and protecting rights of women, gays, minorities, I agree with your statement that moderates lack the vision thing. Bredesen is "playing it safe" and protecting his own political ass as conservatives wage a war on rights in this state. He can cut wasteful govt spending, fine by me, but if he doesn't care to take sides in the social battles of the day, I have little use for him, especially in regards to seeking higher office.

I agree with you.  However, the vision thing is great for running for President, not necessary when running for Governor.  If he has Presidential ambitions, he had better make his views clear--before the GOP does it for him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies