rhode island?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:31:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  rhode island?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: rhode island?  (Read 4106 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 03:08:13 PM »

One problem with this argument about Catholics: Protestants swung to Bush in RI and Catholics stayed at a relatively similar level. This was very unlike the states adjacent to it, but you can see for yourself: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

Great link.  It was kind of interesting to see how poorly Bush performed among Catholics in Rhode Island, even compared to Massachusetts and particularly Connecticut.

Well I always said Connecticut was superior. Smiley  Right now, unfortunately, politically it's just the best of a bad bunch.

One interesting thing about CT is the vote by income.  The $75k-100k went to Bush +6, the 150k-200k went to Bush by 28, but  in between those two was the 100k-150k which went to Kerry by 37
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2005, 06:16:49 PM »

One problem with this argument about Catholics: Protestants swung to Bush in RI and Catholics stayed at a relatively similar level. This was very unlike the states adjacent to it, but you can see for yourself: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

Great link.  It was kind of interesting to see how poorly Bush performed among Catholics in Rhode Island, even compared to Massachusetts and particularly Connecticut.

Well I always said Connecticut was superior. Smiley  Right now, unfortunately, politically it's just the best of a bad bunch.

One interesting thing about CT is the vote by income.  The $75k-100k went to Bush +6, the 150k-200k went to Bush by 28, but  in between those two was the 100k-150k which went to Kerry by 37

I noticed that too.  Very strange.  I think there's a section of the upper middle class that tends to be very Republican, and once they get beyond that point, they are freer to vote Democratic.  Keep in mind that the purchasing power of those income levels varies widely depending upon section of the state, so it's hard to draw hard conclusions from them.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2005, 09:11:02 PM »

Socially liberal Catholics are in the minority though, just like socially liberal protestants.  The Catholic vote swinging to Bush in New England was masked by Kerry's regional advantage.

Not really.  Most of my friends are Catholic and the vast majority of them are socially liberal, granted most are in their early to mid 20's, but its still true nonetheless

Mine vary quite a bit.  Out of my friends, I am easily one of the more socially liberal.  Funny though none of them I can say are really religious.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 07:59:30 PM »

Socially liberal Catholics are in the minority though, just like socially liberal protestants.  The Catholic vote swinging to Bush in New England was masked by Kerry's regional advantage.

Not really.  Most of my friends are Catholic and the vast majority of them are socially liberal, granted most are in their early to mid 20's, but its still true nonetheless

Actual Catholics.  CINO's, like your friends, may be socially liberal.

That's quite an offensive statement.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 04:29:08 AM »

People can definitely be religious and left-winged for a variety of reasons.

I don't think we should take the Midatlantic/Lower New England threads seriously yet. I suspect there was an element of those states not being targeted and voting for the incumbent plus proximity to New York.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies