Do you mostly hold the same religious beliefs as your parents?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:06:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you mostly hold the same religious beliefs as your parents?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Don't know/sort of/maybe one parent

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Do you mostly hold the same religious beliefs as your parents?  (Read 10601 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 09:14:49 AM »

In that none of us are religious, yes.

Why is it that you are non-religious yet nevertheless criticize certain denominations on their beliefs and traditions?

I do the same. Is it a problem?

You criticize all denominations.  Snowstalker bashes Protestant denominations on the virtue of them not being Catholic even though he has no beliefs.  It's probably trolling, but I still consider it a nuisance.

Being outside of a religious faith is really the only way to have a proper take on it all, no?  I mean, people like me and Snowy might not know specifics, but we can see it for what it is. 

That has nothing to do with Scott's point, and what you do is not the same thing as what Snowstalker does.

How so?  Scott is saying that Snowy shouldn't have a take on it, essentially.

Here's what he said, and it applies to you as well:

Why is it that you are non-religious yet nevertheless criticize certain denominations on their beliefs and traditions?

You criticize all denominations.  Snowstalker bashes Protestant denominations on the virtue of them not being Catholic even though he has no beliefs.  It's probably trolling, but I still consider it a nuisance.

Maybe Snowy just feels Catholicism has some preferable traits.  Maybe I'm trying too hard to defend him, but I feel like he gets piled on a bit too much around here. 

Such as? I fail to see how a non-believer can hold transubstantiation and complimentarianism to be preferable. He's also attacked some historical leaders for splitting from the Pope and once again I really fail to see how a non-believer can think it's a bad thing for some country to be less tied to the Pope (especially as we're talking about Middle Ages Popes here as well.)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2014, 09:17:33 AM »

You criticize all denominations.  Snowstalker bashes Protestant denominations on the virtue of them not being Catholic even though he has no beliefs.  It's probably trolling, but I still consider it a nuisance.

Being outside of a religious faith is really the only way to have a proper take on it all, no?  I mean, people like me and Snowy might not know specifics, but we can see it for what it is. 

That has nothing to do with Scott's point, and what you do is not the same thing as what Snowstalker does.

How so?  Scott is saying that Snowy shouldn't have a take on it, essentially.

Here's what he said, and it applies to you as well:

You criticize all denominations.  Snowstalker bashes Protestant denominations on the virtue of them not being Catholic even though he has no beliefs.  It's probably trolling, but I still consider it a nuisance.

Maybe Snowy just feels Catholicism has some preferable traits.  Maybe I'm trying too hard to defend him, but I feel like he gets piled on a bit too much around here. 

Such as? I fail to see how a non-believer can hold transubstantiation and complimentarianism to be preferable. He's also attacked some historical leaders for splitting from the Pope and once again I really fail to see how a non-believer can think it's a bad thing for some country to be less tied to the Pope (especially as we're talking about Middle Ages Popes here as well.)

He's weighing the alternative?  I don't know. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »

BRTD I think you are the last one to talk when it comes to a preoccupation with Catholicism!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about-

Best church! Also, almost anything is better then Catholicism. 

damn heathen gringos Wink

He said in one thread that this a protest to what he calls the "liberal Protestant circlejerk" something or other here.

I mean, yeah, I know he's not serious, and I'm probably taking it more personally than I should, but I find the act slightly annoying albeit much less so than his other personas.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about-

Best church! Also, almost anything is better then Catholicism. 

damn heathen gringos Wink

He said in one thread that this a protest to what he calls the "liberal Protestant circlejerk" something or other here.

I mean, yeah, I know he's not serious, and I'm probably taking it more personally than I should, but I find the act slightly annoying albeit much less so than his other personas.

Agree with this. Besides, it's not a circle jerk. You have me and TJ to rain on your parade Wink
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »

Ehh, none of us are religious, so yeah.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2014, 09:03:47 PM »

No
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »

No.  My mom still believes in God and the afterlife and I don't.  But I suppose I am still "culturally Catholic," at least to the degrees that I think works are crucially important in being a just person and that well-performed rituals can be quite profound and moving. 
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »

Not even close.
Repub242
Jack982
Rookie
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2014, 04:35:21 PM »

Yeah, I follow the majority of the parents' beliefs.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2014, 01:44:56 PM »

Dad - Practicing Roman Catholic
Mom- Was a raised Catholic but became Baptist in her last few years.
Stepdad- Non-Practicing Catholic. The most I ever really saw of him being Catholic was when he had his last rites.

Me- Was raised half-practicing Catholic, but have switched to evangelical protestant.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »

Interesting thread, so I'm bumping this. Answer = no.

My dad grew up Catholic and is now an atheist. My mom grew up Jewish and is now an atheist. I grew up non-religious but have come to believe in Judaism (the modern orthodox, religious-Zionist way suits my beliefs, but Judaism is Judaism). I consider myself traditional on a scale of "non-observant" to "completely observant" with regard to performing the 613 commandments.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »

My father, yes.

My mother is significantly more conservative on religion though.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2015, 07:45:25 PM »

Well, my dad is an atheist , while my mom is a believing Mormon down to all the T's.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »

Dad was raised Baptist but isn't favorable to any organized denominations. He likes watching Perry Stone on occasion.

Mom is a lapsed Wesleyan. Led to the craziness of my childhood.

I'm Assemblies of God with some views closer to the Wesleyans but also some influences from IHOP, Jesus Culture and a few others.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2015, 08:55:47 PM »

Well, my dad is an atheist , while my mom is a believing Mormon down to all the T's.

The Mormon church allows members to marry atheists?  I thought that was frowned upon. 
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »

Neither of my parents seem religious, and I'm an atheist, so I guess so.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2015, 09:17:57 PM »

My parent's and I aren't religious so yes.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2015, 10:47:05 PM »

The Mormon church allows members to marry atheists?  I thought that was frowned upon. 

You can't get married in an LDS temple (which is, to say the least, highly encouraged), but it's allowed, if discouraged. Also, there are some families where one suppose stops believing after the marriage and becomes an atheist. That's what happened with my family.
Qavvavak
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -7.00

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2015, 03:23:07 AM »

No, my late dad was not religious person, parents are raised Anglican (their ancestors are pagans) and im ex christian and im reborn animistic shamanist pagan (revitalize my ancestor's spirituality/shamanism)
and maybe i'd like to become a Buddhist Shamanist pagan (Buddhism will have integrating with indigenous shamanism because both have many similar beliefs.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2015, 06:07:20 AM »

maybe i'd like to become a Buddhist Shamanist pagan (Buddhism will have integrating with indigenous shamanism because both have many similar beliefs.)
True, and of course happening in places like Mongolia and Tuva.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »

My late dad was not really religious, only going to church for the usual stuff like first communion, weddings, funerals, Easter or Christmas.

Pretty much like my mum.

But both did not quit the church and still paid the church tax.

I quit the Catholic Church long ago and only go to church sometimes like recently for the first communions of my little nephew and niece, or weddings, funerals and the childrens mass at Christmas.

So, I'm probably slightly less religious than my parents even though they are/were not really either.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2015, 09:39:36 AM »

My father does his best to interject all communication with some kind of reference to his faith at some point, as does his wife (my step-mother). "These buffalo wings provided by the LORD are delicious, praise GOD." It's kind of pathetic. Although you can feel the sincerity, its earnestness accidentally hints at how shallow it all must be most of the time. It's overcompensating. Sneezing Jesus onto everything doesn't mean your immune system is working REALLY well against the world's germs. It likely means you need some kind of secular allergy medication. Or, to really make this metaphor stretch, your Jesus sneezing isn't an indication of a bad case of the Christianity flu that will spread through the air infecting others. It's just gross.

Sorry about that. My mother, on the other hand, does not mention her religiosity at all. I kind of assume she has none but won't say anything because that would be most impolite. Being raised by Southerners, that could be the case. Admitting she doesn't really believe in public might be damaging to her social status amongst coworkers or friends, so instead she just never talks about it and goes along with whatever seems to be happening. Thinking back, church for her was just an opportunity for her to have a good chat instead of being stuck with us brats for once.

I suppose in that way I may be closer to my mother, assuming she is a non-believer at heart. It would be difficult for me to be any further from my father in this area. But, like my mother, I just don't talk about my disbelief. What good could that possibly do?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »

Not even close.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »

My mom is generically Protestant but never goes to church; she's very anti-Catholic, though. She doesn't talk about religion much, but then again I haven't seen her much the past decade or so. I think my step-dad is agnostic but it's hard to tell; most of the time he's too drunk to form a cogent thought.

My dad was almost raised Catholic; he made it to first communion but was never confirmed. He fell away and became generically Protestant, floated between Methodist churches and other similar churches. Now, he generally doesn't go to church much except attending Christmas/Easter mass with my wife and I if we're home. He still very much considers himself a Christian, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies