TIMELINE: Dole wins 1996 - 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 06:50:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  TIMELINE: Dole wins 1996 - 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: TIMELINE: Dole wins 1996 - 2020  (Read 16123 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 05:23:26 PM »

October 18, 2000 - Kemp, Gephardt debate foreign policy

"As President of the United States, I will continue the Dole administration's efforts to hold Saddam Hussein accountable to the world, and I'll ensure that America stands up for our interests abroad. This means reversing the cuts in the defense budget and the size of our armed services put in place by the Clinton administration and supported by my opponent. America is at relative peace and I commit to Americans that I will do what is necessary to preserve the peace and conclude the conflicts we are involved in. I believe America must remain a world leader, but that doesn't mean we are the world's policemen. However, we have an interest in protecting Americans" - Jack Kemp

"I want to make sure the United States military is well funded, and I actually did not support Bill Clinton's reductions in the size of the military, though I did support and continue to support cutting out waste in the defense budget. I will protect the peace by ensuring that we have a strong economy so we are able to continue to lead the world, but part of that has to be in the area of trade - we need trade to be fair first, and I'll only sign free trade agreements into law if they have basic human rights, enforcement mechanisms, and fair wages in place. We need a strong national defense, but we also need to stand up for our values. This is crucial to the future of our country" - Dick Gephardt

October 27, 2000 - Kemp, Gephardt participate in final debate

"The choice before our country is an important one. In Congress and as Vice President, I championed tax relief to help grow our economy, urban revival to help lift folks out of poverty, higher standards in education, and a society which rewards work as the best social program to lift people out of poverty. In this campaign, I've proposed free market economic policies to grow our economy. We need to advance the cause of freedom both here at home and to the extent we can, abroad as well. I've tried my best to make the case that my experience and vision is what is needed to move our country in the right direction going into the new decade" - Jack Kemp

"As the Democratic leader in the house, I took on tough problems, and as President I'll continue to work to make government work for the American people. The question before the American people next Tuesday is simple: what kind of leader do they want? I'll be a leader who stands up and fights for America's middle class. I believe the middle class in this country deserve a President who is going to fight for every job, everyone's health care, the rights of workers, the rights of women, and to preserve exceptional education and a secure retirement for our seniors. I'm Dick Gephardt, and I'm running for President to stand up and fight for the middle class and those struggling to get ahead in America today" - Dick Gephardt

November 1, 2000 - Dick Gephardt elected President in close election

Dick Gephardt / Bill Bradley (D) 49.2% 274 EV
Jack Kemp / J.C. Watts (R) 49%  264 EV

January 20, 2001 - Dick Gephardt sworn in as President

Key events of the Gephardt administration January 20, 2001 - January 1, 2003
-January 27, 2001 - President Gephardt vetoes a Republican proposal to voucherize medicare
-March 19, 2001 - President Gephardt signs an executive order mandating the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Trade Representative, and the U.S. Department of Labor work to enforce previously unenforced aspects of NAFTA and several other free trade agreements
-July 1, 2001 - President Gephardt signs into law a bi-partisian law expanding SCHIP with increased tax deductions for the purchase of health insurance and tightened eligibility for adults to receive SCHIP
- August 1, 2001 - President Gephardt's approval rating is at 57%
- September 14, 2001 - President Gephardt sends troops into Afghanistan after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001
- September 19, 2001 - President Gephardt's approval rating hits 87%, the highest of his presidency to date.
-December 4, 2001 - President Gephardt signs a proposal by Sens. Rudy Giuliani (R-NY) and Joe Lieberman (D-CT) tightening security at U.S. airports
-February 2, 2002 - President Gephardt signs a $200 billion stimulus package into law following a mild recession
-May 5, 2002 - President Gephardt signs a bill into law creating the federal Department of Homeland Security. Gephardt nominates Former Governor of New Jersey Christie Todd Whitman to head the new department
- July 1, 2002 - In June, the U.S. economy saw it's weakest month of economic growth since March of 1992
- October 15, 2002 - President Gephardt signs into law the Trade Enforcement Act, officially enabling the U.S. government to enforce previously passed free trade agreements.
-November 4, 2002 - The Democratic Party wins both houses of congress
- December 10, 2002 - President Gephardt's approval rating hits 48%, the lowest of his presidency to date.

January 27, 2003 - Bill Frist to run for President

NASHVILLE, TN - Senate Minority Leader Bill Frist announced he would seek the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. "I believe our party needs a nominee to revive the magic of the Reagan era, our nominee must be someone who believes in a strong military, a strong economy, and strong families" Frist told supporters.

February 10, 2003 - Pataki enters presidential race

NEW YORK, NY - Governor of New York George Pataki announced his run for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. Pataki, who was initially supportive of the Gephardt administration's foreign policy, turned on the administration. "Dick Gephardt is ignoring threats from Iraq, Iran, and North Korea while neglecting to acknowledge his economic policies here at home aren't working. As a Governor, I have had to make tough decisions, and I'll make decisions to protect our country and revive our economy" Pataki told supporters.

March 1, 2003 - Jeb Bush to seek Presidency

MIAMI BEACH, FL - Governor of Florida Jeb Bush, fresh off a landslide re-election victory, announced he would run for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. "I'm running for President because I think it's time for a bi-partisian problem solver in Washington D.C. As Governor, I've reduced taxes and made historic reforms in the area of education - our economy is seeing a faster recovery than all but two states, and our schools now have the best test scores in the region. I look forward to going to Washington D.C. to solve problems and ensure the safety of every American" Bush told supporters.
How did Gephardt end up winning Mississippi?

To be honest, I didn't notice that.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 05:24:07 PM »

Does Bush 43 run for a 3rd term in 2002 or does he step aside for Perry ?

George W. Bush wins a third term in 2002
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »

July 23, 2003 - John Edwards to run for President

CHAPEL HILL, NC - Senator John Edwards of North Carolina entered the 2004 presidential race, positioning himself as a liberal. "We need to take on the Republicans and fight to provide health care to every single American, raise the minimum wage, and close corporate loopholes which ship jobs overseas" Edwards told supporters.

August 1, 2003 - Jeb Bush gives speech on presidential priorities

DOVER, NH - Republican Presidential Hopeful Jeb Bush spoke about his priorities if elected President in 2004. Bush said he would fight to give law enforcement greater tools for surveillance in the war on terror, he'd fight for a flatter tax code with three tax brackets at 10,15, and 25 percent to replace the current tax code, he'd fight to close  all corporate loopholes and establishing a 10% flat tax on corporations, a reduction in the capital gains tax from 15% to 8%, he'd push for higher educational standards and a national voucher program for all students in schools receiving federal funds, he'd push for tort reform and the de-regulation of the health care industry, and he'd push for efforts to reform social security and medicare on a bi-partisian basis. 

August 5, 2003 - Jeb Bush wins Ames, IA straw poll

Jeb Bush 2,102
Bill Frist 807
Elizabeth Dole 602
Alan Keyes 201
Frank Keating 192
Bob Dornan 97
George Pataki 94

August 17, 2003 - Gary Hart running for President

DENVER, CO - Former U.S. Senator Gary Hart declared his intention to run for President in 2004. "Getting Americans back to work has to be the top priority of the next President, and I know how to get us there - invest in green jobs, support tax relief for businesses, and embrace the global economy we live in" Hart, who ran for President in 1984 and 1988 stated and spent 1975-1987 in the U.S. Senate, told supporters. 

September 1, 2003 - Elizabeth Dole talks priorities in Iowa

IOWA CITY, IA - Republican Presidential Candidate Elizabeth Dole said her priorities if elected President would be victory in Afghanistan, reversing much of the federal spending during the Gephardt administration, and strengthening work requirements in welfare.

October 25, 2003 - With urging of Democratic Party leaders, Al Gore launches 2004 presidential bid

NASHUA, NH - Former Vice President Al Gore announced he would seek the Democratic Presidential Nomination in 2004. "I believe the American people deserve an experienced leader in these very challenging times" Gore told supporters. Gore said achieving victory in Afghanistan, reviving the American economy, and combating climate change would be major goals of his if elected President.

November 1, 2003 - Highlights of GOP Presidential Debate

“In this time of uncertainty, it’s time for a leader who is prepared to tell the truth and do what’s right. As President of the United States, I will encourage job creation to revive our economy through tax reform, not more government spending. My plan cuts taxes on individual income, businesses, and capital gains while reforming the code. I’ll be a steady leader in the war on terror, we’ll continue to succeed in Afghanistan and we’ll implement policies to increase surveillance against those who wish us harm. Times of challenge test America, and as always, we will succeed. It’s time for strong, new leadership in Washington to help us succeed”– Jeb Bush

“As a U.S. Senator, I’ve been a leader when it comes to fighting for conservative values – be it against the liberals attempts to appoint activist judges, for sending money back to the states for the purpose of health care as opposed to a federal government program, or for welfare reform. With a Republican President and a Republican congress, we can achieve balanced budgets, tax cuts, broader welfare reform, and of course we’ll protect our country in a time of war. I have the experience to lead and you, the people, understand we need a conservative in the white house” – Bill Frist

“The next President of the United States will be a wartime President. All of us here tonight understand that we will face the challenge of our time, winning the war on terror, if we are elected. For the past decade, I’ve led and have been an executive. The people of my state and the people of this country were put to the test a few years ago. We passed. I will be a President who doesn’t require any on the job training. I’ll lead with great care and competence in this era of great challenge to Americans. We need to come together and unite to move our country in a direction which really shows the world what America is made of” – George Pataki

“I agree with my colleagues up here – we need a President who is committed to nothing less than success in Afghanistan. But, what separates me from my colleagues is that I’m not a politician. I’ve worked in government, led a non-profit, and spent four years in the white house as I watched President Bob Dole restore dignity to the presidency. I understand that our country isn’t just at a crossroads in our foreign policy, but here at home to. I plan on leading an effort to encourage work, not welfare and to encourage learning so our kids get the best education possible. This isn’t about me, it’s about the future of the republic” – Elizabeth Dole

“Education and health care are issues the Democrats keep on trying to make their issues, but we can’t let that happen. I believe that raising standards and requiring high expectations in education will enrich the lives of our children. I believe that health care needs to be reformed, but we can’t have the government take it over. As Governor of Oaklahoma, we raised standards in education and we provided health care to our poor without raising taxes or creating socialized medicine. I’m asking for your votes because I believe we need to be the party of working people, not the Democrats” – Frank Keating

“All of us agree on foreign policy, that’s been well documented, I have the most foreign policy experience of anyone here by the way. Where we differ is here at home. In Florida, Jeb Bush had a fundamental belief that education is a responsibility of the government, I’m here to tell you: let parents decide. In New York, George Pataki was pro-life before he became pro-abortion, that’s unacceptable as we have to defend the sanctity of human life. So, the choice is between moderate, establishment governors or someone who has spent the past twenty-five years fighting for conservative values” – Alan Keyes

“I’m in this race because I see our country at a crossroads. We have to succeed in Afghanistan and in the war on terror. We have to grow our economy, and my flat tax plan is the way to get there. But, we also have to protect family values. Marriage is between one man and one woman, period. Defending the sanctity of human life is the most important value our party must stand for if we want to be a majority party going forward.

November 27, 2003 - Frist wins endorsements, talks issues in South Carolina

CHARLESTON, SC - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist spoke about his presidential agenda as he won the support of Senators Lindsay Graham (R-SC) and Lamar Alexander (R-TN) as well as Former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson (R-SC) and Former Governor of Wisconsin Tommy Thompson (R-WI). Frist said he would add a prescription drug benefit to medicare, sign a $1.2 trillion tax cut package which reduced income taxes by 35% across the board, doubled the per-child tax credit, eliminated the marriage penalty, and reduced capital gains taxes from 15% to 5% while also reducing the corporate tax rate from 35% to 25%. Frist also proposed privatizing social security, eliminating the federal Department of Education over time, and increasing the size of the U.S. military by 50,000 over a decade.

December 1, 2003 - Al Gore talks agenda in New Hampshire, wins more establishment support

NASHUA, NH - Former Vice President Al Gore won the backing of twenty senate democrats, fifteen democratic governors, and fifty-five democratic congressman, his campaign announced. Gore spoke about his top priorities during a speech in New Hampshire. Gore pledged that if elected President, he would pass a constitutional amendment protecting medicare and social security by securing their funding through the payroll tax, he'd reduce income taxes on those making below $150,000 per year by 15%, he'd create tax incentives for job creation and green energy, he'd impose a carbon cap on large corporations, he'd mandate health insurance coverage and create an exchange and subsidies to help with the cost of health care, and he'd continue the mission in Afghanistan.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 08:00:32 AM »

On George W. Bush winning 3rd term: would he face John Sharp (former TX Comptroller) in 2002 ?

I'm going to assume he'll win by the same margin like 1998 ?

I'm thinking Bush gets 50% of Latinos, maintained 27% of African Americans and 75% of Whites and won statewide with 70 percent.

Perry has to wait his turn until 2006.

Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »

On George W. Bush winning 3rd term: would he face John Sharp (former TX Comptroller) in 2002 ?

I'm going to assume he'll win by the same margin like 1998 ?

I'm thinking Bush gets 50% of Latinos, maintained 27% of African Americans and 75% of Whites and won statewide with 70 percent.

Perry has to wait his turn until 2006.
No.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 10:51:39 AM »

Who did the Texas Democrats nominate to lose to Bush in 2002 ?

Or was he unopposed?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 10:53:31 AM »

Who did the Texas Democrats nominate to lose to Bush in 2002 ?

Or was he unopposed?

Who cares?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »

Would Hillary run for U.S. Senate back in Arkansas or in NY State?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »

Having Hillary Clinton run for the Arkansas Senate seats in either 1998  or 2002 would have been interesting.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »

Having Hillary Clinton run for the Arkansas Senate seats in either 1998  or 2002 would have been interesting.

Rudy Giuliani won the U.S. Senate seat from New York in 2000, Hillary Clinton was elected to the U.S. Senate from Arkansas in 2002.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2014, 08:09:41 PM »

December 22, 2003 - Poll: Bush, Gore lead for '04

GOP Nomination
Jeb Bush 42%
Bill Frist 20%
George Pataki 18%
Elizabeth Dole 10%
Frank Keating 6%
Alan Keyes 2%
Bob Dornan 1%
Other 1%

Democratic Nomination
Al Gore 50%
Gary Hart 33%
John Edwards 15%
Other 2%

January 2, 2004 - Bush, Gore win Iowa Caucus, Dornan withdrawals

GOP
Jeb Bush 47%
Bill Frist 21%
Elizabeth Dole 12%
Frank Keating 9%
George Pataki 6%
Bob Dornan 3%
Alan Keyes 1%
Other 1%

DEM
Al Gore 50%
Gary Hart 33%
John Edwards 16%
Other 1%

January 4, 2004 - Pataki rallies support in New Hampshire, seeks upset over Bush

DOVER, NH - GOP Presidential Hopeful George Pataki told New Hampshire voters that he felt he was best prepared to be President of the United States. "Be it natural, national security, or fiscal, I've led a state, one of the most populated states in the country, during times of crisises and each time, we ended up stronger than previously. New Hampshire voters understand we need a President who doesn't require on the job training" Pataki told voters.

January 7, 2004 - Bush, Gore win contests in Wyoming, Delaware

GOP Delaware
Jeb Bush 37%
George Pataki 34%
Bill Frist 11%
Elizabeth Dole 10%
Frank Keating 4%
Alan Keyes 3%
Other 1%

DEM Delaware
Al Gore 63%
Gary Hart 30%
John Edwards 6%
Other 1%

GOP Wyoming
Jeb Bush 78%
Bill Frist 10%
Elizabeth Dole 4%
George Pataki 4%
Frank Keating 2
Alan Keyes 1%
Other 1%

January 9, 2004 - In New Hampshire Pataki upsets Bush as Gore wins, but with Hart close

GOP
George Pataki 39%
Jeb Bush 36%
Bill Frist 12%
Elizabeth Dole 10%
Alan Keyes 1%
Frank Keating 1%
Other 1%

DEM
Al Gore 41%
Gary Hart 39%
John Edwards 19%
Other 1%

January 12, 2004 - Sparks fly in both parties ahead of South Carolina, Alaska

CHARLESTON, SC - Ahead of primaries in South Carolina and Alaska, the primary season became dirtier. Jeb Bush's campaign began running ads calling Bush the "conservative reformer" while referring to opponent George Pataki as a "liberal career politician." The ads focused in on Pataki's pro-choice position, his support for gun control, and the ad claimed that Pataki raised fees by $300 million as Governor of New York. Pataki spent time on the trail attacking Bush. "Jeb Bush inherited a surplus in 1999 and now Florida has a $175 million deficit, the rate of spending under Jeb Bush has increased at 4.1%, above the rate of inflation - I have balanced budgets and cut a $325 million budget gap when I took office while cutting taxes fifteen times" Pataki stated. On the Democratic side, Al Gore and Gary Hart each questioned each other's electability. "Gary Hart hasn't been involved in the political arena in fifteen years, he's simply out of touch with the voters and Jeb Bush knows that" Gore said of Hart. "We Democrats lost in 1994, 1996, and 1998 because of broken promises, promises Al Gore made to the people, and the Republicans will be sure to bring that up" Hart retorted.

January 14, 2004 - Clintons formally endorse Gore in '04 presidential race

SUMMERVILLE, SC - Former President Bill Clinton and Senator Hillary Clinton of Arkansas formally backed Al Gore's 2004 presidential bid, citing Gore's experience in foreign policy and his education reform plan as main reasons for the endorsement.

January 16, 2004 - South Carolina is Bush County; Gore lags behind expectations in South Carolina

GOP
Jeb Bush 47%
Bill Frist 29%
Elizabeth Dole 12%
George Pataki 6%
Frank Keating 4%
Alan Keyes 2%
Other 1%

DEM
Al Gore 35%
Gary Hart 34%
John Edwards 30%
Other 1%

January 17, 2004 - Bush, Gore win Alaska

GOP
Jeb Bush 41%
Bill Frist 30%
George Pataki 15%
Elizabeth Dole 10%
Frank Keating 2%
Alan Keyes 1%
Other 1%

DEM
Al Gore 45%
Gary Hart 30%
John Edwards 24%
Other 1%

January 19, 2004 - Elizabeth Dole ends presidential bid

January 22, 2004 - Frank Keating ends presidential bid, endorses Jeb Bush

January 24, 2004 - Highlights of GOP Michigan Debate

"People are flocking to my campaign for two reasons: they know we need a President who will lead to victory in the war on terror, and they know we need reform to grow our economy here at home by promoting free market economic policies. I have been very clear that I will ensure nothing less than victory in Afghanistan, but we are going to have to send in more troops and have a concrete plan to promote freedom in that country to defeat the extremists, this administration doesn't have such a plan. I also plan on implementing policies here at home to give our law enforcement the ability to keep us safe while also protecting our constitutional rights. But, here at home, we face challenges as well. Our economic recovery is sluggish: my tax plan will not only reduce taxes on the American people while restoring fairness to the tax code, it encourages investment, expansion of business, and it encourages productivity - we'll create millions of new jobs. I also plan on repealing the Gephardt-era regulations so our economy can prosper free of the over $25 billion in economic regulations we have as a result of this administration. Our country must succeed, it just takes strong, effective leadership and the will of the American people to reform government" - Jeb Bush

"In New York, I led our state through the worst natural disaster in four decades, the worst fiscal disaster in two decades, recession, and the worst attack on our nation's soil in history. My fellow citizens, I'm ready to lead this country and I've put forth a series of principles which give you insight into what kind of leader I'll be. I'll be a decisive leader in foreign policy, I'll lead with clarity and stand up for our national security interests. I have a plan to succeed in Afghanistan based off the plan General Tommy Franks proposed to congress in March of 2003. I will eliminate our budget deficit the same way I eliminated budget deficits in New York: I'll reduce federal spending to 2000 levels with exemptions for national security programs and our military, and I'll reduce the size of government by 47,000 over a three year period via attrition. We must be able to live within our means. I'll also be the President who finally tackles medicare reform, I'll do it by changing the program to be a partnership between not only states and the federal government, but the private sector as well - we'll save taxpayers money while increasing the quality of the program. I'm ready to lead this country, and I'm asking for your support" - George Pataki

"For the past five years, I've had the honor of serving as the Republican leader in the United States Senate. During that time, we've balanced the budget for four out of the five years, we've held the line on taxes following the Dole tax cut which I co-sponsored, and we've rebuilt the American military in this era of challenge. The one thing which stands before the American people and achieving even more positive results for our nation is the President, who declined to seek re-election because he knows republicans in congress are right and therefore, are more popular. But, this election is about what happens going forward. I will lead us to again balance the budget, reduce taxes, reform welfare again, and I'll lead an effort to enact a medicare prescription drug benefit for seniors and greater choice in education. Al Gore will fight for government run medicine, higher taxes on our business, and large budget deficits. What we need is a republican President to work with the republican congress to promote job growth and making government leaner while also succeeding in the war on terror, we can't afford Al Gore's big government schemes which will further hurt our economy" - Bill Frist

"The choice for conservatives is clear: Jeb Bush supports taxpayer funded crony capitalism, George Pataki supports abortion and strict gun control, and Bill Frist has failed in his efforts to force Dick Gephardt to balance the budget and cut taxes - we need someone who isn't afraid to stand up and speak the truth as the Republican nominee for President. The political establishment, the money men, and Wall Street has their choice in Jeb Bush. Liberals have their choice in George Pataki and Al Gore. The Washington D.C. crowd, career politicians, and lobbyists have their choice in Bill Frist. But, conservatives have a choice and I'm that choice. I am the one person on this stage who worked for Ronald Reagan, who wasn't afraid to speak out against corruption in the Clinton administration, and the person who has challenged Dick Gephardt's commitment to dismantling our free market economy. It's time the American people had a President who focused more on their needs and not on those of the politicians, of Wall Street, of the money men - it's time for someone who believes in life, liberty, and freedom. If you believe that our founding principles are the only principles acceptable for us to govern upon, if your a conservative, then I'm your candidate" - Alan Keyes
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »

Who was Gephardt's VP ?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 06:01:31 PM »

Bill Bradley
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »

January 27, 2004 - Gore, Pataki win Michigan

GOP
George Pataki 40%
Jeb Bush 38%
Bill Frist 17%
Alan Keyes 4%
Other 1%

DEM
Al Gore 60%
Gary Hart 30%
John Edwards 9%
Other 1%

February 1, 2004 - Bill Frist ends Presidential Bid

February 4, 2004 - Bush wins trio of primaries as Gore wins two, Hart wins first '04 victory

Arizona GOP
Jeb Bush 60%
George Pataki 28%
Alan Keyes 10%
Other 2%

Louisiana GOP
Jeb Bush 71%
George Pataki 22%
Alan Keyes 6%
Other 1%

Pennsylvania GOP
Jeb Bush 45%
George Pataki 40%
Alan Keyes 14%
Other 1%

Arizona Democratic
Gary Hart 44%
Al Gore 40%
John Edwards 15%
Other 1%

Louisiana Democratic
Al Gore 82%
John Edwards 10%
Gary Hart 9%
Other 1%

Pennsylvania Democratic
Al Gore 47%
Gary Hart 30%
John Edwards 22%
Other 1%

February 5, 2004 - John Edwards ends Presidential Bid

February 10, 2004 - Bush, Gore dominate Super Tuesday

States won by Jeb Bush
Florida
Georgia
Oklahoma
Wyoming
Idaho
North Dakota
Ohio
New Jersey
Utah
Colorado
North Carolina
Tennessee
Massachusetts
Vermont
Rhode Island

States won by George Pataki
New York
Connecticut

States won by Alan Keyes
Maine

States won by Al Gore
Florida
Georgia
Oklahoma
Ohio
New Jersey
Maine
Utah
New York
Connecticut
Massachusetts
Vermont
Rhode Island
Tennessee

States won by Gary Hart
Idaho
Colorado
North Dakota
North Carolina
Utah
Wyoming

February 12, 2004 - Pataki ends presidential bid, backs Jeb Bush

ALBANY, NY - After only winning a total of five presidential contests in New Hampshire, Michigan, Connecticut, and his home state of New York, Governor George Pataki ended his 2004 presidential bid and endorsed Jeb Bush, calling Bush "a steady leader in challenging times."

February 15, 2004 - Bush: I am your nominee, wins backing of RNC

TAMPA, FL - Governor Jeb Bush of Florida declared victory as the 2004 Republican Presidential Nominee as the Republican National Committee declared it would begin joint fundraising with Bush, despite the fact Alan Keyes was still in the presidential race and Bush remains over 180 delegates shy of winning his party's presidential nomination - officially. "Our campaign of victory in the war on terror and reform to revive our economy here at home is not a campaign for the Republican Party, though I am honored to have the broad support of Republicans across this country. This campaign is about all Americans, we must unite behind common purpose and common values. I will spend this year reaching out to all Americans who believe we must succeed in the war on terror and revive our economy here at home to give everyone the opportunity to succeed" Bush told supporters.

February 17, 2004 - Al Gore wins Wisconsin, Oregon, Kansas, and Nebraska

TOPEKA, KS - Al Gore secured victories in Wisconsin, Oregon, Kansas, and Nebraska over opponent Gary Hart.

March 10, 2004 - Al Gore secures Democratic Presidential Nomination with Texas victory

AUSTIN, TX - Former Vice President Al Gore won the 1,102 delegates needed to be his party's 2004 presidential nominee after winning the Texas Democratic Presidential Primary. "I'm running for President because America needs a leader who is ready to lead on day one. We need to focus on victory in the war on terror, yes, but we also need to focus on health care, education, and good jobs here at home while also combating global warming and the climate crisis" Gore told supporters.

Gary Hart concedes defeat, vows support for Al Gore

HOUSTON, TX - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Gary Hart ended his 2004 presidential bid and vowed to support Al Gore in the 2004 election.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »

March 12, 2004 - Keyes running in California, Illinois despite RNC backing Bush

CHICAGO, IL - Republican Presidential Candidate Alan Keyes declared that he was still in the presidential race and would take his case to voters in California in Illinois ahead of primaries in those states on March 24. "Conservative voters deserve a candidate who will ban all abortion since it's immoral, eliminate the income tax, defend traditional marriage, and protect the constitution - Jeb Bush is a moderate who only has moved to the right to win over conservative endorsements" Keyes told supporters.

March 15, 2004 - Poll: Bush well ahead of Gore in presidential race

Jeb Bush 51%
Al Gore 40%

Potential Republican Vice Presidential Candidates
 Senator Rudy Giuliani of New York
 Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich of Georgia
 Former Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney
 Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas
 Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts
 Senator John McCain of Arizona
 Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire

Potential Democratic Vice Presidential Candidates
 Senator Hillary Clinton of Arkansas
 Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts
 Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut
 Senator Janet Reno of Florida
 Congressman Bill Pascrell of New Jersey
 Senator John Edwards of North Carolina
 Congressman Steny Hoyer of Maryland

March 24, 2004 - After losses in California and Illinois, Keyes drops out of presidential race as Bush officially wins GOP nomination

California
Jeb Bush 89%
Other 6%
Alan Keyes 5%

Illinois
Jeb Bush 81%
Alan Keyes 15%
Other 4%

May 23, 2004 - Gephardt endorses Gore

ST. LOUIS, MO - President Dick Gephardt endorsed his formal rival in the 1988 and 2000 presidential primary seasons at an event in the President's home state. "Al Gore is the candidate with the experience to lead our country in a time of great challenge" Gephardt said of Gore.

June 3, 2004 - Bradley backs Gore for '04

NASHUA, NH - Vice President Bill Bradley endorsed Al Gore's 2004 presidential bid, calling Gore "an unapologetic progressive."

July 1, 2004 - Bush picks McCain for Vice President

PHOENIX, AZ - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Jeb Bush selected Senator John McCain of Arizona as his running-mate in the 2004 presidential election. "John McCain has the courage and character to be a Vice President who puts people before politics" Bush said of McCain.

July 12, 2004 - Gore picks Lieberman for Vice President

MANCHESTER, NH - Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Al Gore selected Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut as his running-mate in the 2004 election. "Joe Lieberman has spent his entire adult life fighting for working families" Gore said of his running-mate.

July 21, 2004 - Poll: Gephardt approval at 44%, Bush ahead in presidential race

Gephardt Approval
Approve: 44%
Disapprove: 49%

Presidential Race
Jeb Bush 48%
Al Gore 43%

August 2, 2004 - Pataki gives RNC Keynote Address

"Here, in this great city, our nation was attacked by radical islamic extremists with no regard for human life. The horrors of September 11, 2001 still haunt us today as families have an empty place at the dinner table. But, we came together as Americans. Today, I call upon all Americans to come together to honor the memories of those we lost and to rebuild and defeat evil wherever it exists. Victory in the war on terror is not about politics, it's about survival. We have a moral obligation to stand up for what is right in this world. Jeb Bush understands what we face, and he has proven over the course of his career and this campaign that he is ready to lead this country" - Gov. George Pataki

August 4, 2004 - John McCain accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

"Today, we face challenges like never before. Young men and women are far away from home fighting a war we did not choose, but one we must win. Many decades ago, I too was a young man far away from home fighting a war - though a very different kind of war. Regardless, I understand what's at stake. The brave men and women in uniform understand what's at stake. The families of the fallen understand what's at stake. We must lead with great moral clarity and purpose to stand up for our national security interests and freedom across the globe. Here at home, we have to restore the American economy so more people can find work and be able to afford health care and fuel. These times demand strong, decisive, and experienced leadership" - John McCain

August 5, 2004 - Jeb Bush accepts Republican Presidential Nomination

"As President of the United States, I will not waver in my defense of our national security interests. We will aggressively pursue terrorists where they live and plan, and we will keep the United States safer and stronger. We'll also pursue a reform agenda here at home to reduce the tax burden on the American people and businesses so we can create jobs. We'll reform our health care system to reduce costs and help ordinary people afford insurance. We'll fix our entitlement programs to reduce our debt and deficits while preserving the programs for future generations. We'll reform our education system to ensure that every child in America can have a quality education. We'll fix our broken immigration system. I have an ambitious agenda for America because the American people deserve better than what this administration has to offer. What our opponents offer is more of the same - bigger government, higher taxes, and more government spending. We have a reform agenda which will move America in a new direction" - Jeb Bush

TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »

If Jeb wins the presidency, Toni Jennings would be Florida's first female Governor.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2014, 03:57:32 PM »

August 12, 2004 - Daschle delivers DNC Keynote Address

"We know where we stand. The Republicans have had what they've called "a mission to search for common ground." We don't need to have that kind of mission because we know what we stand for. We believe in equal opportunity, fairness, and democracy. The Republicans believe in a society where women lack health care, poor children can't go to college, seniors have to pay their own medical expenses, and the hungry must beg for food. There, they found their common ground. Luckily, Al Gore and Joe Lieberman offer Americans an alternative - two experienced leaders with a vision to renew the promise of America's schools, cut taxes on working families, invest in health care, combat global warming, and lead a foreign policy based on the notion that America must protect it's interests abroad. Our party will win this year because we have the right ideas, the enthusiasm, and the will to lead America to do great things" - Sen. Tom Daschle

August 14, 2004 - Joe Lieberman accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

"The truth is, Al Gore and I support this administration's foreign policy. We believe, and will continue to defend, the President's decision to rid Afghanistan of the taliban. We support the President's efforts to reach out to the moderate elements of islam to defeat the extremists. We support increased airport and port security here at home. Al Gore and I have three decades of foreign policy experience between us - we were two of only a handful of Democrats to support the war against Saddam Hussein, and it was the Clinton/Gore administration which implemented the largest free trade agreement the U.S. has ever saw. Al Gore and I believe America must defend her interests, and that we must lead a global effort to defeat extremism, fight hatred, and stand up for human rights. America is a leader in the world and Al Gore and I have the experience to make sure it stays that way" - Joe Lieberman

August 15, 2004 - Al Gore accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"During the course of my life, I've seen Americans rise to the challenges the times demanded. In the 1980s, the American people saw a cold war come to a conclusion and communism fell. In the 1990s, we as a nation came together to combat violence in our society by adding 50,000 police to America's streets and by passing a federal ban on automatic weapons. As a result, our nation is safer here at home than we were just a decade ago. Three years ago, following the worst attack on our nation's soil, Americans came together to mourn those whom we lost and to seek to defeat those responsible, and I'm pleased President Gephardt and Vice President Bradley have led that effort. Today, we face continuing challenges. An economy with sluggish growth. An unstable world. A climate crisis. A health care crisis. What we need now more than ever is experienced leadership and bold solutions to solve our nation's problems. My fellow citizens, I spent my career as a soldier, a congressman, a senator, Vice President, as a professor, as a writer, as an activist, and as someone who has surrounded himself with knowledge of our nation's affairs for the past thirty years. I'm ready to lead America forward if you'll join me in fighting for change" - Al Gore

September 1, 2004 - Poll: Gephardt approval stabilizes, Bush still leads for '04

Gephardt Approval
Approve: 49%
Disapprove: 45%

Presidential Race
Jeb Bush 49%
Al Gore 44%

October 2, 2004 - Bush, Gore meet for first presidential debate

"Make no mistake about it - there's a clear choice in this election. My opponent has called for a tax increase on 98% of American businesses - large and small. He's called for a $1.2 trillion tax increase on businesses and individuals in addition to higher income taxes on business - he calls it cap and trade but it's a consumption tax. He's called for new spending towards education, infrastructure, the environment, health care,  totaling nearly $1.5 trillion over the next decade - with no way to pay for it. My priorities are 100% paid for by simplifying our tax code - my priorities are to invest in the military and homeland security in a dangerous world, to fund education at existing levels, and to pass money back to the taxpayers in the form of a tax reduction - my plan cuts taxes, closes most deductions and corporate loopholes which benefit higher income earners, we spend an additional $50 billion per year on the military phased in over three years - and the rest of the savings goes towards social security, medicare, and paying down the national debt" - Jeb Bush

"The Governor and I agree there is a difference between our respective records and programs. When I was Vice President, we cut the deficit in half and our economy added 10 million new jobs because we kept taxes low on small business, helped people get loans for their businesses, we stopped over-regulating, and we asked the wealthy to pay their fair share. My opponent signed into law tax cuts in Florida which led to a budget deficit - he inherited a $190 million surplus in 1999 and last year, he delivered a deficit of $50 million - the first deficit in Florida in two decades. While he spends most of the federal surplus on tax cuts and military expansion, I preserve medicare and social security, cut taxes on working families, increase funding for education so we can reduce class sizes, increase pell grants for those who want to go to school, we expand the SCHIP program, and we pay for it by asking the wealthy to pay their fair share of taxes. My priorities of health care, education, the environment, and preserving entitlement programs have been called wasteful by the Republicans - the funny thing is, the Governor's own running-mate has hailed an entitlement reform package similar to mine a few years ago, I believe my priorities matter" - Al Gore

"I'm proud of my record as a Governor. I've reduced taxes every year, increased choice in education while raising standards, held the growth of government to below where it should be given our population, and I was the Governor who has helped preserve and protect the everglades from development. Florida ranks third in post-recession job growth nationally, up from twenty-seventh in job growth before the recession because we've cut taxes and regulatory red tape. What Americans want is someone from outside Washington - I spent my life in the private sector, helped start a charter school, and as Governor I've led as a reformer on issues like education and taxes. My tax plan is going to give every single American tax relief - wealthier folks won't see as large a tax cut in percentage terms because we'll cap deductions and only allow for deductions in three areas: education, health care, and local property taxes and those deductions will each be capped; education and health care at $10,000 per year and property taxes at $5,000 per year. We'll also have a 10% flat tax rate on American business for our corporate income tax rate and a 8% flat tax rate on capital gains to replace the current 15% rate. By simplifying the tax code and lowering our tax rates, our country will see stronger economic growth and more take home pay for the American worker" - Jeb Bush

"Jeb Bush has laughed at my social security plan, but let's take a look at the actual details. We means test it so wealthier folks receive less and pay more into the system to keep it stable, we put it in a lockbox so Washington politicians can't spend payroll tax dollars on anything other than what it's designated for, and we raise the eligibility age by three years. Doing these things will help us save the program. Similarly, with medicare, we'll make sure wealthier Americans get fewer benefits than the poor, we'll place that program in a lockbox as well, and we'll create a medicare exchange where seniors can actually buy medicare plans other states offer to make it more competitive. Saving social security and medicare will be priorities for me if elected President because I understand millions of seniors rely on these programs and younger workers pay into the program. My opponent has privatized medicare in the state of Florida - he's one of three Governors who won the battle to weaken the program, today premiums in Florida are up 8% over the past five years - that's above the 7.2% national average in the same time period. Additionally, Governor Bush wants to turn medicare into a premium support plan - giving large insurance companies a monopoly over the health insurance of our seniors" - Al Gore
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »

When you said that Jeb Bush privatized Medicare in Florida, were you trying to say "Medicaid" instead?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 10:01:37 PM »

I take it that Gephardt chose not to run again due to poor approval ratings.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »

When you said that Jeb Bush privatized Medicare in Florida, were you trying to say "Medicaid" instead?

Keep in mind that in the aspect of any campaign, charges fly - some accurate, some not, some simply misleading.

In this fictions campaign, that charge did fly.

TXCon: That, and he was polling behind the GOP alternatives.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »

Listen, it's okay to admit you mixed up medicaid and medicare. I do it all the time.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2014, 04:05:36 PM »

October 7, 2004 - McCain, Lieberman participate in Vice Presidential Debate

"Jeb Bush and I have a clear, positive, reform agenda for the future of this country to give the American people a strong and vibrant economy, meaningful tax reform, a secure border, a sound social security system, quality health care, and an education system that works for all of our children. Jeb Bush and I also understand that keeping the American people safe is the top priority of this government and while this administration did the right thing by going into Afghanistan, they've had a series of strategic blunders over the past year and a half - on democratizing Afghanistan, on holding Saddam Hussein accountable, on stopping Iran's nuclear ambitions, and on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process which need correcting, and I can guarantee you Al Gore supports this administration's policies, in fact, Dick Gephardt has actually increased military spending by over $40 billion in the last two years which I supported - Al Gore fought to slash military spending by more than that as Vice President" - John McCain

"Governor Bush and Senator McCain are painting a misleading picture as to where Al Gore and I stand on foreign affairs. The truth is, we've supported this administration on Afghanistan but agree with the Republicans the administration hasn't done enough to install democratic institutions in Afghanistan. On Iraq, let's keep in mind Al Gore and I were in a small group of Democrats who supported military action against him in the early 1990s, and I've taken on this administration over a lack of sanctions. But, to spend $50 billion per year for the sake of saying we've spent more money is not good policy - changes have to go along with the spending. Jeb Bush and John McCain have proposed adding 50,000 troops to our army over the next decade, but we need to reverse the administration's reductions in the size of the navy and we need to make sure we invest in our current military infrastructure before expanding" - Joe Lieberman

"The fact of the matter is, we know Al Gore's record and vision. In the U.S. Senate, he opposed the Reagan tax cuts and regulatory policies which led to reductions in poverty, inflation, and the creation of sixteen million new jobs. As Vice President, Al Gore lobbied for the largest tax increase in the history of our country, and he has since opposed the Dole tax cuts, a constitutional balanced budget amendment, and he recently was critical of welfare reform which President Clinton signed. Jeb Bush and I have very different views - as Governor, Jeb Bush was one of the largest tax-cutters in his state's history, he held spending below the level of inflation, he held the size of state government as a share of the economy to the lowest level in two decades, and he cut regulatory red tape - Florida's economy saw the best job growth in fifteen years in 2000, and since the recovery, Florida has ranked third in job growth in the nation" - John McCain

"Jeb Bush supported $445 million in taxpayer subsides to agriculture and large corporations in the state of Florida. Additionally, Jeb Bush's medicare privatization scheme actually increased medicare premiums in his state by 8% where as the national average saw a 7.2% increase in medicare costs during the same time period. Jeb Bush also slashed $500 million in environmental protection funding and vetoed carbon caps as Governor. Look, we need a President who is going to fight for the middle class and those who need the support of the government not to offer a hand out, but a hand up. That's what Al Gore and I offer - opportunity for all and equality for all" - Joe Lieberman

October 15, 2004 - Poll: Gephardt approval stabilizes, Bush still ahead

Gephardt Approval
Approve: 49%
Disapprove: 47%

Presidential Race
Jeb Bush 48%
Al Gore 43%

October 20, 2004 - Bush, Gore participate in second presidential debate

"Each of us has a different background. Al Gore was a legislator who voted against President Reagan's rebuilding of the American military and intelligence in the 1980s, opposed President Bush's efforts to update body amor for our troops in 1989. Al Gore then worked with Bill Clinton to slash funding for our military and reduce the size of our army. The Vice President has also changed positions on Saddam Hussein - he voted to use military force against him in 1990, he then opposed further sanctions against him in 1992, as Vice President he presided over new sanctions against him, he then opposed military force against him in 1998, he called for sanctions against Saddam in 2002, and now he says he's not sure about sanctions and would oppose military force - which isn't being proposed but has to be left on the table - today. I was a Governor, by contrast, who made tough decisions when they were difficult and when they were not. As President, I'll ensure America stands up for freedom, leads the world towards peace, and protects our interests both here at home and abroad" - Jeb Bush

"I have sixteen years of worth of dealing with foreign affairs directly, my opponent has no real foreign policy experience. We need a President in this day and age who doesn't require on the job training as it relates to foreign affairs. The Governor and I actually agree that this administration made the right decision in going into Afghanistan, but has failed to establish a true commitment to democracy in that country. So, on Afghanistan, as it relates to strategy, I agree with Governor Bush - we need to help establish Democratic institutions and train the Afghanis to care for those institutions and their own security. But, Governor Bush and I still have differences. He believes we should send 20,000 troops into Afghanistan and he refuses to tell the American people and the families of those who serve when we'll be out of Afghanistan. Let me be clear: nothing can be certain, but I will tell you this - I don't plan on having us in Afghanistan beyond the summer of 2006. Governor Bush said it might take five years or more, but that's because he believes the U.S. should engage in even broader nation building, something he spoke out against in 2002" - Al Gore  

October 27, 2004 - Bush, Gore participate in final presidential Debate

"I believe in the ability of America to restore our economy here at home and lead the world towards freedom and stability. For four years, this administration has engaged in the politics of division and envy, not the politics of optimism and hope. I'm running for President to stand up for those who believe that we are best led by reformers who will focus on making a difference for the American people as opposed to those who play politics. I've laid our a bold plan, which you can see in detail on my website, which will enable us to succeed in foreign affairs while restoring the American economy here at home by reforming our broken tax system and regulatory environment, securing our border, reforming medicare and social security, and making sure that every child in America gets a quality education. As a Governor, I've become known as a bi-partisian leader on tax policy and education - in Florida, we've expanded school choice, reduced taxes every year, and our state has seen it's best economic growth in fifteen years. I'm asking for your vote because its time we worked together to change America" - Jeb Bush

"In this election, I'm asking for your vote because America needs an experienced leader in the white house. My opponent is a good man with good values, but he is unprepared to be President of the United States. For sixteen years, I was involved on a daily basis working on the issues that affect all of us. I led on diplomatic and foreign relations, supporting efforts to enhance free trade, I took on the gun lobby and won, and I fought for more police on the streets of America. This campaign is about experience and issues. Time after time, my opponent and his party have stood on the side of the wealthy at the expense of working families. My campaign is to restore the American dream for all of our people. We'll reduce taxes and expand health care access for working families, invest in education, preserve and protect social security and medicare, protect our country, raise our minimum wage, and combat global warming if I'm President of the United States. Under Bill Clinton and I, we balanced the federal budget, cut taxes on working families, and our economy added ten million new jobs as we reduced the national debt in half and welfare rolls declined significantly. It's time for an experienced leader with a track record of results" - Al Gore

Election 2004 - Jeb Bush wins by 7

Jeb Bush / John McCain (R) 53% 311 EV
Al Gore / Joe Lieberman (D) 46% 227 EV

November 29, 2004 - In controversial move, Jeb Bush announces pick of brother, Governor of Texas George W. Bush, as Secretary of Homeland Security

January 20, 2005 - Jeb Bush sworn in as President
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »

Key events of the Bush administration, January 20,2005 - January 1, 2007
-January 27, 2005 - President Bush signs into law the entirety of his tax reform package, reducing the number of income tax brackets to three - 10%, 15%, and 25% with caps on deductions for education, health care, mortgages, and local taxes, and a flat corporate tax rate of 10%, as well a reduction in the capital gains tax from 15% to 8%.
- February 27, 2005 - Senator Joe Lieberman, former Democratic Vice Presidential Candidate, and Senator Rudy Giuliani of New York co-sponsor legislation sanctioning Saddam Hussein who, as an intelligence report suggests, has been hiding weapons of mass destruction. Bush signs the sanction into law and speaks about against Saddam.
- May 1, 2005 - Jeb Bush signs the Protect America Act, giving law enforcement greater surveillance abilities - including phone tapping and sneak & peak warrants, with the approval of a federal judge. The law gives congress oversight authority of the law
- July 15, 2005 - Jeb Bush announces a surge of 20,000 troops into Afghanistan as the administration shifts strategy with an emphasis on establishing a democratically elected government.
- July 20, 2005 - President Bush has a 67% approval rating
- October 1, 2005 - President Bush signs into law the Cut, Cap, and Balance Act - capping federal spending at no more than 15% of GDP with exceptions for defense and veterans related spending, as well as social security and medicare.
- October 20, 2005 - President Bush signs the Regulatory Repeal Act of 2005 into law, reversing 97% of Gephardt-era economic regulations
-January 15, 2006 - President Bush announces after reduced violence in Afghanistan, 20,000 forces will come home by the following October
- March 1, 2006 - Jeb Bush signs into law the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act, banning late term abortions
- June 5, 2006 - Jeb Bush signs into law the National Education Reform Act, requiring all schools receiving federal dollars to offer special needs students special accommodations and establishing a national school voucher program for students in households with incomes below $80,000 per year
- September 5, 2006 - President Bush vetoes a Republican proposal to increase farm subsidies by $20 billion
- October 5, 2006 - President Bush has a 62% approval rating
- November 1, 2006 - Republicans maintain control of congress and win three U.S. Senate seats.
- December 2, 2006 - Jeb Bush gives a speech explaining to the American public the threat posed by Saddam Hussein following a report showing Hussein had WMDS
- December 1, 2006 - The U.S. economy saw it's strongest one month job growth in eight years in November of 2006; the economy saw the addition of 307,000 jobs - compared with just 227,000 jobs the previous month

January 4, 2007 - President Bush asks congress for the authorization for the use of force against the Saddam Hussein regime in Iraq

WASHINGTON, DC - President Jeb Bush asked congress for the authorization for the use of force against Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq. Bush, who had placed sanctions on Hussein in 2005, said the sanctions weren't enough - and pointed out national security and humanitarian concerns as it relates to Iraq.

January 7, 2007 - Kucinich enters presidential race

CINCINNATI, OH - Calling for congress not to support the war in Iraq, Congressman Dennis Kucinich became the first Democrat to enter the 2008 presidential race.

March 8, 2007 - Congress gives Jeb Bush the authority to use force against Saddam Hussein

March 23, 2007 - Howard Dean announces presidential run, opposes Iraq War

BURLINGTON, VT - Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean announced he would be a candidate for President in 2008. "The truth is that this administration has not used diplomacy enough as it relates to Iraq, they've shut down diplomacy as a general foreign policy principle and that's wrong. The truth is, Jeb Bush has not been a successful President and we need change in Washington" Dean told supporters.

April 15, 2007 - Lieberman running for President

STAMFORD, CT - Senator Joe Lieberman, the 2004 Democratic Vice Presidential Candidate, declared he would seek his party's nomination for President in 2008. "I was the one who got Jeb Bush to sanction Saddam Hussein. I was the guy who was fighting for a Department of Homeland Security before it was popular, I'm the experienced moderate in the race for President" Lieberman said.

May 3, 2007 - Jeb Bush declares war against Saddam Hussein

WASHINGTON, DC - President Jeb Bush declared war against Iraqi Dictator Saddam Hussein's regime.

May 17, 2007 - Hillary Clinton running for President

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Senator Hillary Clinton of Arkansas declared her intention to run for President in the 2008 election on a platform emphasizing health care and education. Clinton told supporters that "I have heard your concerns, and I will be the candidate of the people."

June 1, 2007 - Hoyer running for President

WASHINGTON, DC - House Miniority Whip Steny Hoyer declared he would seek the presidency in the 2008 election. Hoyer, who voted for the mission in Iraq, said he was concerned Jeb Bush was ignoring the situation in Afghanistan. "I will debate Jeb Bush on his failure to control spending, his failure to address health care, and his failure to keep his eye on the ball in Afghanistan" Hoyer stated.

June 15, 2007 - John Edwards in for 2008

CHAPEL HILL, NC - Former U.S. Senator John Edwards declared his intention to once again seek the presidency in the 2008 election. "Jeb Bush is about to spend millions of dollars in Iraq while citizens here at home lack health insurance and a decent wage because Jeb Bush has neglected health care reform and opposed a higher minimum wage" Edwards declared.

June 27, 2007 - Citing experience, Bayh to run for President

DOVER, NH - Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana entered the 2008 presidential race, citing his experience as both a Governor and United States Senator. "In Indiana, we reformed welfare and our schools, I can make sure our nation moves forward on jobs" Bayh told supporters.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2014, 06:12:27 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2014, 06:17:57 PM by dudeabides »

July 1, 2007 - Poll: Lieberman, Clinton '08 front-runners

Joe Lieberman 34%
Hillary Clinton 31%
Howard Dean 15%
John Edwards 6%
Evan Bayh 6%
Steny Hoyer 4%
Dennis Kucinich
Other 1%

July 20, 2007 - Lieberman makes case in prime time address

MANCHESTER, NH - Senator Joe Lieberman, running for the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination, gave a televised address making his case to the public of why he should be President of the United States. Lieberman argued that he, and not Jeb Bush, was best fit to lead during the Iraq war. Additionally, Lieberman talked about creating more subsidies for individual health care, reversing the Bush tax cuts on higher income earners to reduce the deficit, and means testing both social security and medicare to save both programs.

August 2, 2007 - With endorsements from anti-war Senate Democrats, Dean talks about presidential agenda

DOVER, NH - Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean picked up endorsements from four U.S. Senators who voted against the war in Iraq. Of the fifteen U.S. Senators who opposed the war, all but one (Senator Lincoln Chaffee of Rhode Island) was a Democrat. Senators Bob Menendez (D-NJ), Bill Nelson (D-FL), Jack Reed (D-RI), and Barack Obama (D-IL) each voted against the war in Iraq and endorsed Howard Dean for President. Dean said if elected President, he would end the war in Iraq within fifteen months, reverse the Bush tax cuts and provide health care to every American who lacked it with a national health care exchange, he'd eliminate the payroll tax on hourly workers, he'd increase pell grants and federal funding for urban schools while demanding higher standards, and he'd balance the federal budget.

August 23, 2007 - Poll: Bush approval at 67%, performs well against all Democratic Hopefuls

Approve
Jeb Bush 68%
Disapprove: 31%

September 5, 2007 - Clinton makes her case in South Carolina

SUMMERVILLE, SC - Senator Hillary Clinton of Arkansas made her case as to why she should be President to an audience in South Carolina. Clinton argued that her brand of populism was what the nation needed - she vowed to enforce trade agreements which hadn't been enforced for years, she vowed to mandate employers provide their employees with health insurance, and she pledged to raise the minimum wage and reduce the payroll tax if elected President.

September 20, 2007 - Highlights of Democratic Presidential Debate

"The key to us Democrats winning in 2008 is experience, record, and vision. As a state attorney general, I took on corruption, corporate polluters, and stood up for a woman's right to choose. In the U.S. Senate, I've led on foreign policy, sanctioning Saddam Hussein, welfare reform, cutting taxes on working families, investing in education, and combating global warming. I am prepared to lead this country in the right direction - we'll succeed in Iraq by helping the Iraqis succeed in democracy. We'll repeal the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans to help balance the budget, provide for health care subsidies to those who qualify and who lack health care, cut taxes on 98% of Americans, and preserve medicare and social security while increasing local aid to education and demanding results. It's time for an effect, strong, decisive leader in times of great challenge to our nation " - Joe Lieberman

"My entire life has been dedicated to helping people. I took on large corporations as an attorney and led the effort for health care reform and for the rights of women globally as first lady. I spent four years leading a non-profit organization focused on helping those who had lost their health insurance. In the United States Senate, I've been a leader on expanding health care coverage to the poor and making sure the U.S. enforces trade laws that we've signed. The way to beat Jeb Bush in 2008 isn't by moving to the ideological left or center - it's by advocating for ideas to help ordinary Americans like expanded health care access, raising the minimum wage, combating global warming, and keeping this country safe in a time of challenge. A lot of the rhetoric in this campaign has been negative, but I have a positive vision for the future because I know the American people are optimistic about the great things America will do" - Hillary Clinton

"Under Jeb Bush, our country has been dragged into a needless war and our civil liberties have been thrown in the trash in the name of patriotism. Tax cuts have been handed out to the rich, and special interests have gotten their way. Some of my fellow Democrats up here abandoned the principles of our party - Joe Lieberman and Hillary Clinton voted to send our young men and women off to war, for Jeb Bush's loosening of our laws in the name of increased surveillance, and they supported Jeb Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy and his education reform plan which undermines our public schools. It's time for something different. As a Governor, I balanced budgets, reduced taxes, and we still invested in education and health care. As President, I'll end this war responsibly, roll back the Bush tax cuts, cut taxes on working families, expand access to health insurance for the millions who lack it today, and balance the federal budget. It's time we had an American President committed to real security - both foreign policy wise and from an economic standpoint" - Howard Dean

"I urged congress to oppose the war in Iraq because I felt it was a distraction from the war on terror. But, we are in Iraq - and re-litigating that decision is not helpful. Obviously, we need to see what happens in Iraq and act in a way that ensures that our troops can come home safely and soon. Here at home, I urged congress to oppose Jeb Bush's tax cuts for the very rich and his education policies which benefit the children of rich kids and few else. Standing up to the special interests is what I've been doing my entire life. My pledge to the American people is that by 2013, we'll have universal health care and a $10 minimum wage. We'll also pass a cap on carbon emissions - the United States must be serious about stopping global warming. Sadly, my friends Joe Lieberman, Hillary Clinton, and Howard Dean believe in the status-quo. They talk a great deal, but the two senators voted with Jeb Bush on major issues, and all three of them have taken money from lobbyists and pacs. It's time for a change" - John Edwards

"In Indiana, I learned early on that partisian politics doesn't yield results. I became known as a tax cutter who also invested in education. I'm not here in this race to tell you that our party should move left or right - I'm here to tell you as individuals, we must be for what's right as opposed to what's wrong. I voted for Jeb Bush's tax cut because it was the right thing to do - our economy is moving in the right direction. However, many Americans are still left behind. This administration hasn't been able to create jobs in several sectors - such as energy and infrastructure - because they neglect the importance of these sectors. As President, I will keep taxes low, yes, but I'll also invest in infrastructure and tax credits for green technologies so our country can both create good paying jobs and end our dependence on foreign oil. Last year, we saw federal tax revenue that exceeded that over the year 2002 - just four years prior - by 37% as a result of the tax cuts of 2005. That revenue should be used for more tax credit programs and to pay down our $7.7 trillion national debt. Government doesn't need to be larger or smaller, it simply needs to be smarter and that's how I plan on leading" - Evan Bayh

"Joe Lieberman and Hillary Clinton voted for the Bush tax cuts, for the war in Iraq, for Jeb Bush's education plan, and for Jeb Bush's unconstitutional intrusions into our privacy. Howard Dean says he opposed these policies, but pledges to continue the war in Iraq for over a year and a half while continuing to fund the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. I say instead of worrying about Iraq and violating our civil liberties, let's invest in a single payer health care system and a $10 minimum wage now. Some of us up here believe that by somehow trying to sound moderate, we are more electable. But, the truth is, people in this country stand for the same things we do and it's dishonest to pretend to be something we are not. Let's offer the American people a real choice in the year 2008, let's offer them solutions over crony capitalism and political patronage which has hurt our politics and our country" - Dennis Kucinich

"The Democratic Party is the party of the people, and that's one thing we have going for us. But, what I challenge all Democrats to ask themselves is - who do you want to lead our country over the next four years? I have experience, a record to run on, and the bold solutions on Iraq, health care, and the environment to move us forward. I agree with Joe Lieberman: we have to succeed in Iraq, and that's why I'm doing my job in forcing this administration to keep congress briefed as to what's going on in Iraq. At the same time, we need a President who believes in rebuilding our economic core here at home. I will champion small business and green energy because those are two elements needed in any broader debate about the economy. It's time for real leadership and new ideas for a time in our history when we need to do things differently than we have been for these past three years" - Steny Hoyer
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2014, 10:14:50 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2014, 10:17:21 PM by dudeabides »

October 15, 2007 - President Bush launches re-election bid

TAMPA, FL - President Jeb Bush spoke to a crowd of about 5,000 enthusiastic supporters and announced the start of his 2008 re-election campaign. "Together, you and I have met the challenges of our time and we've moved America in the right direction. As a result of our foreign policy, we are bringing terrorists to justice and making the world safer and more free. As a result of historic tax relief and an overhaul of federal regulations, our economy has added over 6 million new jobs in the past 26 months alone - and federal tax revenue today is at it's highest level as a percentage of GDP in twenty years. We've achieved historic reforms to our education system which is making a difference for millions of our kids. While we are moving in the right direction, our work is far from over. Today, I am officially launching my campaign for re-election as President of the United States" Bush said.

November 1, 2007 - Gephardt backs Lieberman, citing experience and electability

NASHUA, NH - Former President Dick Gephardt backed Joe Lieberman's 2008 presidential campaign, telling voters that Lieberman "has what it takes to win and will use his vast experience to be a great American President."

November 17, 2007 - Poll: Liberman, Clinton remain front-runners, Bush approval at 68%

Bush Approval
Approve: 68%
Disapprove: 31%

Democratic Nomination
Joe Lieberman 36%
Hillary Clinton 33%
Howard Dean 18%
John Edwards 6%
Evan Bayh 4%
Steny Hoyer 1%
Dennis Kucinich 1%
Other 1%

November 25, 2007 - President Bush announces capture of Iraqi Dictator Saddam Hussein

WASHINGTON, DC - President Jeb Bush announced that U.S. forces captured Iraqi Dictator Saddam Hussein

November 28, 2007 - Bush approval hits 88%, record high

Approve: 88%
Disapprove: 9%

December 1, 2007 - Lieberman: With Saddam capture, time for Dean to withdrawal from presidential race

IOWA CITY, IA - Despite being the front-runner for the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination, Senator Joe Lieberman took time to attack opponent Howard Dean. "Saddam Hussein was captured and the world and America are safer for it. Howard Dean's entire presidential campaign is built around the premise that the war in Iraq is a mistake, well I think he's been proven wrong. Governor Dean should consider withdrawing from the election because he is unprepared to serve as President" Lieberman said.

December 5, 2007 - Dean: Lieberman wrong on Iraq

NASHUA, NH - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Howard Dean responded to Joe Lieberman's criticism of him on the issue of Iraq. "While it is a great moment that we rid the world of a brutal dictator, the fact that Joe Lieberman voted to rush off to war despite having authored sanctions which appeared to be working against Iraq shows a lack of judgement on his part, and for him to be critical of my position is laughable frankly" Dean stated.

December 14, 2007 - With Dean and Lieberman arguing on Iraq, Clinton sees surge in Iowa

DES MOINES, IA - As Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean and Senator Joe Lieberman argued over the issue of Iraq in the presidential race, Senator Hillary Clinton of Arkansas saw a surge of support for her campaign in Iowa. Clinton, who has remained above the fray of negative campaign tactics, has spent much of her time in the state focused on issues such as health care, education, and trade policy - not international affairs. Clinton's crowds in Iowa have become visibly larger and her fundraising has taken off.

January 2, 2008 - In New Hampshire, Bush proposes immigration reform

MANCHESTER, NH - President Jeb Bush laid out his immigration reform package in New Hampshire. Bush declared that he signed an executive order sending 1,100 more border patrol agents to the border - and that he would ask congress for $30 million to fund a 2,500 more border patrol agents annually beginning in 2009. Bush also called on congress to spend $10 billion to complete a border fence. Bush's plan also called for an employment verification system, prosecution of those who knowingly hire undocumented workers, a four month guest worker program for seasonal workers, a pathway to legal status for people who have been in the U.S. illegally for longer than a decade in good standing with the law otherwise, and a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy to allow illegal immigrants to return home and get online towards becoming legal once they applied to do so. Additionally, Bush called for a plan which would give local law enforcement the authority to enforce immigration laws towards the estimated 2.3 million undocumented individuals who had committed crimes.

January 4, 2008 - Hillary Clinton wins Iowa Caucus, John Edwards defies odds for second place finish, Evan Bayh ends presidential bid

Hillary Clinton 33%
John Edwards 25%
Howard Dean 19%
Joe Lieberman 12%
Evan Bayh 6%
Steny Hoyer 3%
Dennis Kucinich 1%
Other 1%

January 5, 2008 - Poll: 56% of Americans support Bush immigration reform plan, 39% oppose, Democratic Candidates divided
LEBANON, NH - A Gallup Poll found that 55% of Americans supported President Jeb Bush's proposed immigration reform plan. 61% of Independent voters, 57% of Republicans, and even half of Democrats voiced support for the plan. In the race for the Democratic Presidential Nomination, Senator Joe Lieberman voiced support for the plan - calling it "a plan which acknowledges the need for border security and a comprehensive approach to immigration reform." Lieberman was joined by fellow candidates Congressman Steny Hoyer and Former U.S. Senator John Edwards in supporting the proposal. Democratic Presidential Hopeful Howard Dean argued the plan was not enforceable, and that hoping for people to leave the country and return on line with everyone else was "unrealistic." Dean called for a pathway to legal status for all except those with criminal backrounds. Hillary Clinton said she supported border security, but felt a pathway to citizenship, a longer guest worker program, and amnesty for children born in the U.S. should be a part of overall immigration reform. Dennis Kucinich called for amnesty for non-criminals and said building a border fence was the wrong approach.

January 9, 2008 - Joe Lieberman wins New Hampshire Primary

Joe Lieberman 30%
Howard Dean 29%
Hillary Clinton 24%
John Edwards 12%
Steny Hoyer 3%
Dennis Kucinich 1%
Other 1%
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length