"Grow up and start taking your life seriously"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:54:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  "Grow up and start taking your life seriously"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Grow up and start taking your life seriously"  (Read 1570 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »

Stupid joke statement and a sign of a person who has never thought critically in their life. 

Thoughts?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »

Stupid joke statement and a sign of a person who has never thought critically in their life.  

Thoughts?

And a load of right wing bullsh**t if you ask me
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »

Grow up and start taking your life seriously.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:23:54 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, sweetie.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:36:29 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2014, 11:40:02 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Any time.

Although in fairness to you, whoever else is asking you this...I mean, you're in the military. What is it exactly that people are still accusing you of being unserious about? I think that your viewpoint is wrong and that you're being stupid about it but I don't see how the implied accusation has merit in your case.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:44:10 PM »

I don't see what this has to do with religion or philosophy, but I can tell something is obviously wrong.  Would you like to confide with someone?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:46:29 PM »

No.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 05:56:39 AM »

Thoughts?
Well really it depends on what happened before the comment.  If one isn't taking life very seriously, ie, doing reckless things, whinging about typical stuff adults have to deal with or just being a little bitch then yeah, the statement is good and the person being told it should grow up and take life more seriously.  On the other hand, I'd imagine most times it's used against somebody who is just enjoying life more than speaker thinks they should, in which case screw them, keep on enjoying life.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »

I'll let you in on a little secret.

No one grows up. Everyone has the same sense of joy and fear and ego they have had since they were first conscious of themselves. People have different demands made of them in life, some by themselves, some by circumstance and some by expectation but the idea that because you're doing something with your life someone else isn't doing doesn't mean you aren't 'growing up.' I'm not going to stop doing silly voices to my husband to make him laugh just because I'm 30.

It doesn't help of course that this forum skews young with people surrounding themselves with books and philosophies and ideas as some cloth of 'maturity' that hides a vulnerable nakedness (and perhaps even social stuntedness) that they would never want you to see. Just do what you want to do in life if it's fulfilling. Make mistakes because it makes life more entertaining. Remember life isn't something you have, it's something you do.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 08:01:38 PM »

I disagree that you don't 'grow up'. I certainly agree that you can look at yourself at 30, then think about 20, 15, 10... and wonder how much you've actually changed.

Experience does change you, those 'fears' you have that are fundamental or happened at a point in your life don't really leave you, but they take on different angles and you do tend to look at them from a different perspective.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »

No one grows up. Everyone has the same sense of joy and fear and ego they have had since they were first conscious of themselves. People have different demands made of them in life, some by themselves, some by circumstance and some by expectation but the idea that because you're doing something with your life someone else isn't doing doesn't mean you aren't 'growing up.' I'm not going to stop doing silly voices to my husband to make him laugh just because I'm 30.

Interesting post Andrew and I think I disagree only with the phrasing and not the general point. I think people can grow up, or maybe grow forward is a better term. This is done largely by controlling, or at least being self aware of, these fears and appreciating the joys.  I do not think there is an expiry date for this.  Ive met incredibly mature and well adjusted youngsters and elderly children.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

Hmmm I can't say I disagree but I do recall you not approving of that trait of me. Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 05:54:31 AM »

Hmmm I can't say I disagree but I do recall you not approving of that trait of me. Smiley

That's because you are regressing Wink

In all seriousness, I'm not saying that no one ever 'grows up'. I'm just saying that there isn't really a definitive measure for what it means to be an 'adult'. It does mean taking on responsibility and if you have children or a partner, care for others but it doesn't require a fundamental shift in who you are as a person. Too many people think you have to throw fun, awe, fear and everything else out the window or that your best role-model for an adult is someone that you are not. Those who often shout 'grow up' tend to mean 'grow up like me.'
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies