Are people under 35 who oppose gay marriage typically unintelligent generally?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:32:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are people under 35 who oppose gay marriage typically unintelligent generally?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Yes or No?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 96

Author Topic: Are people under 35 who oppose gay marriage typically unintelligent generally?  (Read 9393 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:13:06 PM »

I honestly have never met a well-spoken and well-accomplished person who is 18-34 and who opposes gay marriage.  Maybe the smart ones are just good at hiding their bigotry, but it seems like every Doctor/Lawyer/Engineer is fully on board with gay marriage.  I've definitely met a few people who bag groceries who do not support it though.

Maybe living in NOVA influences this.  Thank God Virginia is now a blue state.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:21:52 PM »

I'm not willing to make this assertion without some reliable data. It's a lofty claim to make.
Nichlemn

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2014, 04:31:57 PM by Nichlemn »

You could probably find a proxy for this if you find a poll that breaks down both age and education.

My guess that age isn't relevant, with the young educated and older educated supporting SSM at similarly higher rates (the younger just being consistently more pro-SSM).
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »

I honestly have never met a well-spoken and well-accomplished person who is 18-34 and who opposes gay marriage.  Maybe the smart ones are just good at hiding their bigotry, but it seems like every Doctor/Lawyer/Engineer is fully on board with gay marriage.  I've definitely met a few people who bag groceries who do not support it though.

Nothing like some good old fashioned classism from our red avatar'd friends.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »

Who the hell asks their grocery bagger what their political views are?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 04:39:28 PM »

No, generally they could be

1) Having been told that their whole childhood and just not challenging the claim/believing it while being generally educated.
2) Being very religious at the same time of being generally educated.

so we can't just label those people like that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 05:21:06 PM »

It's more a question of being a dick than being unintelligent. And age has absolutely nothing to do with it.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »

In general, a majority of people are relatively unintelligent regarding matters of law, civics, and socioeconomics. There are idiots supporting and opposing everything.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »

I've never met an intelligent person that opposes same-sex marriage. 

So, based on that, opposing same-sex marriage probably skews unintelligent.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2014, 05:57:16 PM by Hifly »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You have now. Nice to meet you.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 06:03:19 PM »

Is this crystallized or fluid intelligence?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »

I'm afraid I cannot count this as meeting and I have no idea if you're intelligent.  Sorry.
GaussLaw
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:10:27 PM »

Simple- you live in NOVA.  The income vs. politics association in Virginia is a whole lot different.  Poor whites in Shenandoah are far more conservative than a lot of  rich NoVa whites.  

In Texas, there are plenty of well-educated people against same-sex marriage.  Utah, even more so(due to the Mormonism).  In fact, a lot of the best high schools in deep South states are deeply religious, so those schools would likely breed some opposition to it.

I don't see SSM as a matter of education.  Plenty of educated bigots exist; Germany was quite educated when it elected Hitler.  Heck, if the Internet existed, they might have done a China-like comparison of Germany's tests vs. America's at that point.  

I think that opposition to SSM is motivated by bigotry, but I don't think it's worthy of being called bigotry(note:  I'm not saying Hitler = opposing SSM).  This is especially true for those with religious objections; that being said, religion is often distorted in certain ways that results in bad effects for gay people.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »

I'm afraid I cannot count this as meeting and I have no idea if you're intelligent.  Sorry.

So tempting to mention the dreaded O word.

Non Swing Voter's post says more about himself than it does about people who oppose same sex marriage. To simply use his own encounters in a liberal region to insinuate that opponents are unintelligent is incredibly naïve, and thus for someone who is insinuating that he is intelligent he appears to be totally cavalier about differences in demographics outside his region which affect voters' attitudes.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 06:42:23 PM »

Ignorance and bigotry exist across all groups.  Age, culture, religion, class, and education don't excuse it or make it acceptable - period.  So, I think the question itself is irrelevant.

But I am also curious why you know the political views of your grocery bagger, unless you know them personally, of course.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »

Ignorance and bigotry exist across all groups.  Age, culture, religion, class, and education don't excuse it or make it acceptable - period.  So, I think the question itself is irrelevant.

But I am also curious why you know the political views of your grocery bagger, unless you know them personally, of course.

"I couldn't help but notice that you've separately bagged the zucchini and the KY, what's that all about?"

"Don't talk to me! I don't want AIDS, sinner!"

"Whoa whoa, man, relax. I'm buying these for.. my sister. Uh.. hey, why do you hate gays?"

"Like all Oxford alumni I am a member of the Order of the Grocery Baggers. We have pledged to fight the deflowering of anuses."

"Oh, can I be right back? I forgot the whipped cream."

"Burn in hell!"
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »

Uneducated and unintelligent are not the same thing, and poor and unintelligent certainly are not.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 07:41:26 PM »

I'm afraid I cannot count this as meeting and I have no idea if you're intelligent.  Sorry.

So tempting to mention the dreaded O word.

Non Swing Voter's post says more about himself than it does about people who oppose same sex marriage. To simply use his own encounters in a liberal region to insinuate that opponents are unintelligent is incredibly naïve, and thus for someone who is insinuating that he is intelligent he appears to be totally cavalier about differences in demographics outside his region which affect voters' attitudes.

I never disputed that some intelligent people oppose gay marriage.  There are intelligent creationists and racists.  But, there's a tendency with all of those prejudices, whether they're homophobia, racism, conspiracy theories, religious fanaticism, towards being dumb. 

Intelligence is not just some innate trait.  It requires time paying attention to the world and discipling your mind.  If you do that in 2014, in the Western world, you're going to see the world differently.  If you actually educate yourself, you become more empathic, open-minded and fair towards other people.

I've lived in "real America," in a red state and I've lived in the centers of elite liberalism.  Neither group is perfect obviously and this is an obnoxious generalization.  But, in my experience liberals in NYC are way more intelligent and educated than conservatives out in real America.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »

But, in my experience liberals in NYC are way more intelligent and educated than conservatives out in real America.

Thin ice. Perhaps before you make these kinds of assertions you should consider that when

it's best not to have the conclusion of your argument be that a large group of people hold views because, when it's all said and done, they are simply "dumb."

I will admit that most people who hold these views tend not to have the best critical thinking skillsets in tow, but they do have reasons even if they aren't evidence-based. They also have empathy and, as far as open-mindedness goes, I don't exactly blame them for being hostile to different ideas when the people who are advocating them are at the same time calling them flatly "dumb."

So while I don't blame you for feeling this way, I think you'd be doing your "side" better by not saying it out loud and then trying to justify it.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »

Maybe.  I do know some very intelligent 18-35 year olds that oppose gay marriage, but typically the more bigoted who want to argue against gays in general are unintelligent.  
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 08:20:24 PM »

But, in my experience liberals in NYC are way more intelligent and educated than conservatives out in real America.

Thin ice. Perhaps before you make these kinds of assertions you should consider that when

it's best not to have the conclusion of your argument be that a large group of people hold views because, when it's all said and done, they are simply "dumb."

I will admit that most people who hold these views tend not to have the best critical thinking skillsets in tow, but they do have reasons even if they aren't evidence-based. They also have empathy and, as far as open-mindedness goes, I don't exactly blame them for being hostile to different ideas when the people who are advocating them are at the same time calling them flatly "dumb."

So while I don't blame you for feeling this way, I think you'd be doing your "side" better by not saying it out loud and then trying to justify it.

I know it's a semi-obnoxious thing to say, but I think what I'm saying is true. 

And, here's the other point.  There are no intelligent arguments against same-sex marriage.  That's why the bans are losing 100% in the federal courts right now.  So, anyone swayed by a dumb argument is more likely to be dumb.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 09:04:44 PM »

There are no intelligent arguments against same-sex marriage.

Not quite, but those arguments are only valid if opposite-sex marriage were legally structured considerably differently from how it currently is structured in the West.  I dare say that most opponents of SSM don't care for how OSM is currently done either.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »

There are no intelligent arguments against same-sex marriage.

Not quite, but those arguments are only valid if opposite-sex marriage were legally structured considerably differently from how it currently is structured in the West.  I dare say that most opponents of SSM don't care for how OSM is currently done either.

I'd be curious to know what you mean specifically.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 09:51:50 PM »

Generally not a good idea to call your political opponents dumb....
Your not the best person to echo this message.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 09:55:26 PM »

The teen in my high school with the best marks was an homophobic, racist bully.
It's probably for that reason than there was a paperwork "mistake" when recommending it for the Governor General medal.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies