Dont run, Mark.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:43:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Dont run, Mark.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dont run, Mark.  (Read 2604 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:56:45 PM »

“Bottom line: A Mark Sanford candidacy would diminish the importance of this primary (South Carolina).”

Francis Marion University professor Neal Thigpen, a GOP activist, says a Sanford candidacy “would take something away from the state Republican Party which has been instrumental in building the party and putting this state on the national map.”

“It would deny rank-and-file voters the opportunity to express a preference among the leading contenders... and that would not be good.”

The state GOP is preparing for 2008 as if Sanford won’t run. It is taking steps to protect its first-in-the-South status.

“We have put everyone on notice that we will be the first,” says state GOP chairman Katon Dawson.

In the end, the state gains economically from hosting the high-profile primary. In 2000, roughly $20 million was spent by the two campaigns here, Dawson says. That doesn’t count another $4 million the national media would bring.

Certainly, many Republicans are privately saying, Sanford wouldn’t want the state to lose that money.

The message?

Don’t run, Mark.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/columnists/lee_bandy/11003920.htm
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 09:59:03 PM »

Looks like the establishment doesnt want Sanford running.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 10:09:05 PM »

As if having a President from their state wouldn't help bring in money in the long run. Maybe they don't think he can win. What a kick in the ass.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 10:49:23 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2005, 11:10:40 PM by Bob »

For whatever reasons, the SC GOP is opposed to Sanford. This is strange, to say the least. Maybe (and I'm really going out on a limb here) they got word from the White House, which is backing their own candidate- I'm guessing Frist.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 11:09:42 PM »

Sanford doesn’t have an amicable relationship with quite a few of the State party bigwigs, especially those in the General Assembly.  Like Arnie of CA, he often strikes a “I’m fighting for the people vs. the state legislature” tone, but unlike CA, in SC, the GOP controls the Assembly.  That tone contributes to his viability as a national candidate, but it does make him enemies within his own party.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 11:11:34 PM »

I don't know exactly what the situation is. As it gets closer I can probably get better information but right now it's thought Sanford needs to get some things done in Columbia.

However, the SC establishment can't stop Sanford from running if he wants to. The GOP in this state isn't especially well organized because only recently has it come to power at the state level. Elements of the GOP probably don't like Sanford because of the same infighting that occurs everywhere... you've got people loyal to Beasley (I guess they exist), Condon, etc.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 11:32:24 PM »

Sanford is my number 3 choice for candidates I'm supporting for the GOP nomination in '08; however, I'd prefer that he doesn't run so that Santorum can have a shot at the south.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 10:22:26 AM »

Sanford is my number 3 choice for candidates I'm supporting for the GOP nomination in '08; however, I'd prefer that he doesn't run so that Santorum can have a shot at the south.

Could Allen or Frist beat Santorum in the South, even if Sanford doesn't run?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 10:49:38 AM »

Of course.  They would probably be the favorite.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 11:08:22 AM »

I'm just going to say Frist can't win the nomination over and over again, hoping it will make it true.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 11:24:20 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2005, 11:27:20 AM by nickshepDEM »

I'm just going to say Frist can't win the nomination over and over again, hoping it will make it true.

LOL.  Aside from Frist being incredibly boring and uninspiring.  Why do so many conservatives/republicans here hope he falls flat on his face in his presidential bid?  Skeletons?  Policy mistakes? Lack of leadership?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 11:35:19 AM »

LOL.  Aside from Frist being incredibly boring and uninspiring.  Why do so many conservatives/republicans here hope he falls flat on his face in his presidential bid?  Skeletons?  Policy mistakes? Lack of leadership?

Bush I, Dole, Gore, Kerry. They all lost. They were all boring and uninspiring
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 11:37:08 AM »

Santorum would likely start out behind than slowly catchup, at least on Frist. Frist will have a head-start due to having the best name recognition among Senators, but once he actually has to get out and speak, his numbers will go down.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 11:43:40 AM »

Santorum would likely start out behind than slowly catchup, at least on Frist. Frist will have a head-start due to having the best name recognition among Senators, but once he actually has to get out and speak, his numbers will go down.

Against Frist, Santorum could catch up. Against Allen, it would be more difficult.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 01:55:37 PM »

Against Frist, Santorum could catch up. Against Allen, it would be more difficult.

I agree, although it really comes down to who gets more money. If Frist gets enough cash, it won't matter how bad a candidate he is.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 01:57:35 PM »

I agree, although it really comes down to who gets more money. If Frist gets enough cash, it won't matter how bad a candidate he is.

I like Frist but I don't think people are jumping at the opportunity to give him cash.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 02:05:39 PM »

I like Frist but I don't think people are jumping at the opportunity to give him cash.

If the Bush administration gets in any way behind him, he'll be very tough to beat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »

If the Bush administration gets in any way behind him, he'll be very tough to beat.

I'd say that Bush is more likely to support Santorum.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 02:10:05 PM »

I'd say that Bush is more likely to support Santorum.

It's not unlikely, Santorum has been a major ally on social security reform.

Rove might want a Governor though, historically they do better.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 08:32:47 PM »

Allen would probably be a big hit in the South, making it harder for Santorum, but I doubt that Frist would be as much of a threat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies